Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Poor again. His lackadaisical jog to press while Cavani and Bruno and even Greenwood were putting a shift in is just ridiculous now.

Takes too many touches and slowed down the game, then passes into traffic.

Fred even runs past him to press the ball ffs, which shouldn't be happening.

Stop talking about last season. Last season is gone(while you conveniently leave out seasons before that of the same thing).
It's a new season, and another game that he's not been good in.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s only played left wing a few times, he’s had 9 more starts than Cavani this season and nearly all of them upfront , he’s been terrible.
He’s not registered a single goal or assist playing as a winger this season.

In the 15 games he’s played striker he has 5 goals 7 assists in 1122 minutes.

That’s a goal or assist every 93.5 minutes he’s played as striker. I wonder where he’s most productive?

Woeful season. I don't see it as an effort issue like most do. He's averaging far more intense pressures this season than Rashford or Greenwood (latter 2 way below PL average), and they're all basically identical for intense sprints per game (all 3 below PL average).

I just think he's such a confidence player, and one low spell always seems to drag out forever and he can't pull himself out of it.

At 25 I don't see that suddenly changing..so I'd be more than happy to lose him if we could get a decent offer from somewhere and add a different forward to our collection - ideally one who doesn't have to be babied into form.

OrcaFat

Him and Shaw trying to link up tonight was like pushing together repelling magnets.
Yes, no understanding between them, so many passes without the right run.

But on a general note, I don’t think Martial was that bad. He does a good job holding the ball and is strong, even if other parts of his game are off at the moment. He is probs best as a 9 and, if that’s right, should alternate with Cavani. And learn from him somewhat.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Halfway through the season and our number 9 has 2 league goals . He seems so harmless at everything he does.

spiriticon

That’s a goal or assist every 93.5 minutes he’s played as striker. I wonder where he’s most productive?
22 games, or 1607 minutes, to have 5 goals and 7 assists.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
22 games, or 1607 minutes, to have 5 goals and 7 assists.
No he’s played 15 as a striker this season.

The other 7 he’s been pushed out wide.

The whole point I’m making here is when you play someone out of position you expect them to not perform as well and that really shows!

Also you missed another key stat. 23 games played averages points per game for when he’s played. 2.03

spiriticon

No he’s played 15 as a striker this season.

The other 7 he’s been pushed out wide.

The whole point I’m making here is when you play someone out of position you expect them to not perform as well and that really shows!

Also you missed another key stat. 23 games played averages points per game for when he’s played. 2.03
Well he can kiss Bruno's feet for that stat.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He has one good season then 2 to 3 average or poor ones. Then a good one (last year) and he's back to being the bad version and he's been terrible.

He's had his time at this club. He's not the answer for us. I'd cash in during the summer and buy somebody better.

DickDastardly

Position and player we should replace the most.

He may have the talent, but the head is simply too fragile to lead the attacking line in any team competing for the title.

rooney2009

I'd like nothing more than for him to ride out this rut but while it's happening there's no point gilding the lily; Martial was very poor tonight regardless of marking.
He looks like he is having a bad game because he doesn’t run around like cavani
I hope we don’t hound him out like Lukaku,young,Smalliing and the we will realise that he isn’t a bad player

RuudTom83

To say Martial and Shaw were not on the same wavelength tonight would be a massive understatement...woeful!

Andersons Dietician

No no just you and your poor observation of Martial. FIFA going ok blod?
Ah so you're just one of those people are you. Plays poor;y one game so that somehow confirms everything you’re saying against the multiple games where he’s done exactly what I said. Hey if you even watched the game tonight surely you must have seen the pressing this time. Or you just going to ignore that.

el3mel

There's no way he starts ahead of Cavani in striker position. Cavani is leagues and shoulders ahead of him, no matter how many try to argue otherwise. Either he performs on the left or be a sub striker on the bench, really.

tenpoless

Imagine if we didn't have Cavani... scary
Three young forwards and they hit the restart button at the same time. Still waiting for them to be amazing again.. any minute now?

The-Natural

we don’t need to sell him, we just need him to play on the left, and for want of a better phrase let a proper no 9 play as a no 9.
Seriously? He was moved to the left for nearly 3 seasons in a row and was miserable. He made it very clear that he wanted to play as the 9 and fought to get that number back.

We have to have much greater long term ambition than shunting him back out to the left.

What’s happened to his ability to run at people and take on a man? Hard to see on TV, but he seems to have lost that ability to dribble round opponents. So many times recently, the defender has stood his ground, and martial has ran almost straight at them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
PL football fans don't rate him. French fans don't rate him that highly. Only Utd fans seem to think he's good enough.

2 PL goals by the half way point. John Stones scored 2 the other day ffs.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He wasn't good but I don't think he was as bad as many in here are making out. 5 or 6 noteworthy moments where he and Shaw mistimed or mishit their passes to each other, but they also showed nice interplay at other times (especially in the first half) that got Shaw in good positions, and I felt he pressed better than Rashford has been lately. Of course that's more a negative on Rashford than a positive for Martial as it still wasn't as much as I'd like.

Red00012

On the bench with Rashford

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
If he isn't playing through the middle, I don't think he should be playing at all. Still think he has a lot to offer as a 9. His touch and link up play, particularly with his back to goal, is impressive and stands out amongst our other forwards. Thought he was very good in this regard against Burnley, but inevitably his missed chance at the end of that game will be the only takeaway for his critics. Undeniably, the goals need to start flowing again and he can't have any complaints with Cavani being ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

I don't understand the posts saying he's better out wide. I can't remember the last time he played well in that position. Doesn't seem to run at defenders with purpose and conviction anymore which is disappointing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Whereas Rashford's decision making has been bad at time, at least he puts his all in.

With Martial it seems that unless the ball is perfect for him, he won't bother.

Stretfordender

Ah so you're just one of those people are you. Plays poor;y one game so that somehow confirms everything you’re saying against the multiple games where he’s done exactly what I said. Hey if you even watched the game tonight surely you must have seen the pressing this time. Or you just going to ignore that.
seriously, pressing? Give your head a good wobble you WUM.

Cavani was at it from the word go chasing, pressing, hungry and making the right intelligent runs in to the box. Saw none of that from Martial.

Like I’ve already told you lad, come May Martial will be judged on his goals and goals only not his non-existent pressing attributes.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was so good post-lockdown, I really thought he'd kick on after that.

He's been disappointing all season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Really annoyed in the moment around the 70 min mark where Shaw played an obvious ball to him and he just had no idea whatsoever, no reaction, nothing.
Sums him up really. There's a cracking player in there when he does come out.
That moment drove me mad.

He is so frustrating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.