Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

Yeah i noticed that as well. Where have his driving runs forward gone? It seemed every time he was on the ball yesterday he either ran into a blind alley or just recycled it back.
I’d imagine his confidence is now shot to pieces. He’s never been the most self believing player.

The Real Treble 99

There was a point in the game yesterday which showed how poor martial has become. A great ball by Shaw in the oppo box, which Tony couldn’t even be bothered to go for it. A player like him should be able to read the game & anticipate. Plain lazy attitude & not good enough.

OldTrevil

There was a point in the game yesterday which showed how poor martial has become. A great ball by Shaw in the oppo box, which Tony couldn’t even be bothered to go for it. A player like him should be able to read the game & anticipate. Plain lazy attitude & not good enough.
Get out! How about the multiple balls Martial played through for Luke to run into for an easy cross into the area, only for Shaw to stand there as if waiting to be fed.

crossy1686

career ending
He has still contributed nonetheless to get us here. Lack of scoring does not negate that. Take your shite martial agenda and shove it somewhere else.

Granted he isnt playing well to the standard we expect but he hasn't been a liability. Both him and greenwood cant even receive the ball in deep areas because of our midfielders. Look at how deep greenwood had to drop yesterday only to pass it back. Same as martial. Still I won't lie and say I dont expect Martial to use his better ability and drive up with the ball. He looks lost and average right now but there still is no reason for posters like you to continue this shite narrative of him not being good enough. Its tired and has been proven not true,
You're using yesterday when he played out wide as a reason as to why he's been shite? He's played CF most of the season except the last couple of games. Cavani plays there and scored, I don't know why you're moving the goalposts for him, he simply isn't good enough to lead the line for a club that wants to win things.

And this isn't a new conversation, this discussion has been rumbling on for the best part of 3 seasons now. Granted, it went quiet at the end of last season when he was on fire but that's starting to look like that was just a purple patch in an incredibly ordinary career so far. He's done nothing the likes of Jame Beattie, Kevin Phillips or Dave Nuget did for their respective clubs over the space of one season, only to disappear back to the norm the following seasons.

I'd love Martial to come good, who wouldn't? But after 5 seasons you've got to start questioning what the point is.

shabz

Unfortunately for him and us, the goals haven't been coming, the work rate that propelled him after the lockdown last season has dwindled and he just looks very average at the moment. His feet are still great but all round play is just not cutting it. I can't see him being our number 9 nor can I see him being more beneficial to the team than Rashford who occupies the same areas as him.

It seems like a move away may be on the cards.

Polar

Sometimes we have to call a spade a spade. Martial has been waaaay below required standard this season.

How long can he perform on this level and still be considered as our first choice nr.9? I give him this season to prove that a new first choice Nr.9 isn’t our first priority in the next transfer window.

NoPace

his high wage will be the biggest stumbling block. Who's gonna pay him 250k/wk?
Good point, probably suggests a 35-40M fee and not a 55-60M one. Cavani only got 210 on a free so probably going rate on a free for Martial is probably 50-75K or so less than his wages, which is 4.5M a year difference which over 4-5 years is that 20M difference.

He's not good enough to warrant a system catered to him.
Not for Manchester United. But like I said with Lazio and Immobile, there is probably a team out there for whom he can move to and stay at his wages. Roma is paying Mkhitaryan 180 a week apparently and they will be rid of Kalinic's 70 and Dzeko's 150 soon enough up top, and Martial could go down a fair whack and still make the same amount because of their 21% vs 45% rate since they have a Beckham tax there now.

The question is if there's a big team like PSG that wants him and if not, is there a Roma/Leverkusen/Sevilla who wants to build their attack around him for the next few years. My guess is yes, one of those is out there. He's 25 and has obvious skill and 25 french caps and is 15th in Prem goals among active players. Domestically, it wouldn't shock me if Arsenal were interested. None of the other teams with wage earners near that high make sense, though Liverpool might have if they hadn't signed Jota this past summer though obviously yeah, no.

GueRed

he's in danger of sleepwalking himself out of the club....

he doesnt have the mentality to be a top number 9 imo.

still hoping he can hit his annual purple patch soon though, would be ever so helpful in our quest for the title :)

Matt851

Good point, probably suggests a 35-40M fee and not a 55-60M one. Cavani only got 210 on a free so probably going rate on a free for Martial is probably 50-75K or so less than his wages, which is 4.5M a year difference which over 4-5 years is that 20M difference.

Not for Manchester United. But like I said with Lazio and Immobile, there is probably a team out there for whom he can move to and stay at his wages. Roma is paying Mkhitaryan 180 a week apparently and they will be rid of Kalinic's 70 and Dzeko's 150 soon enough up top, and Martial could go down a fair whack and still make the same amount because of their 21% vs 45% rate since they have a Beckham tax there now.

The question is if there's a big team like PSG that wants him and if not, is there a Roma/Leverkusen/Sevilla who wants to build their attack around him for the next few years. My guess is yes, one of those is out there. He's 25 and has obvious skill and 25 french caps and is 15th in Prem goals among active players. Domestically, it wouldn't shock me if Arsenal were interested. None of the other teams with wage earners near that high make sense, though Liverpool might have if they hadn't signed Jota this past summer though obviously yeah, no.
Inter milan would surely have hin

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know it's a petty thing to moan about, especially as it's literally happening whilst we're scoring a goal, but did anyone else notice Martial's movement during Pogba's screamer? He should be level with play anticipating Pogba's cross, but instead he's stood miles offside. Watch from 10 seconds in - what was he hoping to do here?

In the end I guess it's a good job he wasn't available for the cross, but still. His movement confuses me at times.

lex talionis

I’d start Martial against Liverpool, but if he puts in another “I feel so sorry for myself” performance, moping around pitch Ole should drop him and go with Cavani and Greenwood as his first two choices up top.

We’re in a title race and we need our 9 to perform, not to watch.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Problem is he is incompatible with the style of Solkjaer's United. He'd shine in a smaller, mid-table team built around him and his idiosyncrasies. The amount of times he'll freeze and skip a ball just shows you that.

Raven

Problem is he is incompatible with the style of Solkjaer's United. He'd shine in a smaller, mid-table team built around him and his idiosyncrasies. The amount of times he'll freeze and skip a ball just shows you that.
:lol: :lol:

He's absolutely central to our style.

Raven

I’d start Martial against Liverpool, but if he puts in another “I feel so sorry for myself” performance, moping around pitch Ole should drop him and go with Cavani and Greenwood as his first two choices up top.

Because Greenwood definitely hasn't been by far the worst of our attackers this season...

Stacks

what he says below. Greenword ain't done jack to be relied upon this season, let alone as CF.
Because Greenwood definitely hasn't been by far the worst of our attackers this season...

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
:lol: :lol:

He's absolutely central to our style.
Is he family to you or have you developed some sort infatuation that blinds you to his obvious limitations?
You care more about his good name than the team. How come?

Threesus

Him and Rashford absolutely have to improve their goalscoring record if we are to do anything this season. Greenwood, I will put it down to sophomore blues. But these two, no excuses.

Also, does anyone feel that he has lost some confidence because Cavani has taken up his spot? It looks like a recurring theme with him. Are we sure Fergie would have space in his squad for a fair weather player like him? He is not a youngster anymore. I think for a club like us, we should have a world class striker like your Lewandowski's, Benzemas etc. They can hold up the ball like Martial can, but can score bucket loads as wel.It's important that we look at bringing in a striker and winger in the summer.

Posh Red

He hasn’t been great of late but what do you mean by ‘I feel so sorry for myself’? I’m sensing Some conjecture here

Stacks

Him and Rashford absolutely have to improve their goalscoring record if we are to do anything this season. Greenwood, I will put it down to sophomore blues. But these two, no excuses.

Also, does anyone feel that he has lost some confidence because Cavani has taken up his spot? It looks like a recurring theme with him. Are we sure Fergie would have space in his squad for a fair weather player like him? He is not a youngster anymore. I think for a club like us, we should have a world class striker like your Lewandowski's, Benzemas etc. They can hold up the ball like Martial can, but can score bucket loads as wel.It's important that we look at bringing in a striker and winger in the summer.
Them typed of forwards are extremely rare!

Raven

Is he family to you or have you developed some sort infatuation that blinds you to his obvious limitations?
You care more about his good name than the team. How come?
Why do you think Ole plays him almost every game, even though he's not scoring? His hold up and link up play allows us to play higher up the pitch. Ole can quite obviously see this, I can see this and a number of other posters on here can see this.

I agree wholeheartedly that his goal scoring form has been trash and he really needs to be doing better and if he can't, we'll have to have a serious look at his position in the squad. But to suggest he is incompatible with our style of play is more than ridiculous.

Threesus

Them typed of forwards are extremely rare!
But if we want to be at the summit again, we have to get those type of players. I certainly believe that if we had Haaland right now, him and Bruno would have ripped up the league.
Like I said, we have to look at bringing in a striker and winger in the summer. And hope that in the meantime, Martial gets his mojo back and starts firing.

lex talionis

He hasn’t been great of late but what do you mean by ‘I feel so sorry for myself’? I’m sensing Some conjecture here
You’re correct, pure conjecture on my part. I’ve never met Anthony Martial but I’ve watched him for four seasons now and it’s at least pretty clear to me that he carries himself poorly on the pitch. He never gets on the back of other players if they misplaced passes and that’s a plus, but if things aren’t going well for him he tends to give up rather than redoubling his effort.

But his talent, oh my. If he had in heart what he has in talent he’d be truly world class.

G-MUFC

I've got a feeling that Martial will start as our central striker tomorrow (Cavani rested). I've really not been impressed at all with him this season. Tomorrow is a big opportunity for him to make up for some big misses this season (i.e. PSG at home).
Based on his poor performances this season I'd personally sell him for decent money in the summer. Hopefully he can have a strong second half of the season and finally become the world class player we're all desperate to see him become.

Posh Red

You’re correct, pure conjecture on my part. I’ve never met Anthony Martial but I’ve watched him for four seasons now and it’s at least pretty clear to me that he carries himself poorly on the pitch. He never gets on the back of other players if they misplaced passes and that’s a plus, but if things aren’t going well for him he tends to give up rather than redoubling his effort.

But his talent, oh my. If he had in heart what he has in talent he’d be truly world class.
Fair enough. I kind of agree that he doesn’t seem to have the hunger to be one of the best. Watching Cavani’s work ethic does make me question him more now. Frustrating as he does have huge talent

criticalanalysis

Fair enough. I kind of agree that he doesn’t seem to have the hunger to be one of the best. Watching Cavani’s work ethic does make me question him more now. Frustrating as he does have huge talent
My issue with Martial is not his work ethic/hunger as I don't think it's either particular bad or great. Somewhere in the middle on a regular day and of course like everyone, it can vary on both extremes on other days.

My problem is that he's lacking a bit of know-how and reading of the game. Part of that is down to him ie.g over dribbling, taking too many touches before getting a shot away, not positioning himself in the box/angling his runs etc but another part that I'm annoyed about is seeing a lack of 'development' under Ole. Ole (!) of all people should be teaching your Martials, Rashfords and Greenwoods about timing, finishing and positioning in the box.

Granted our team style doesn't exactly produce 'easy' chances like your Citys and Liverpools do, which again is down to Ole but still, after the 50th time Martial does an excellent dribble to get near the box only to lose it because he doesn't make a final pass/shot, surely Ole should be saying something? It's almost too painfully obvious.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I just wonder whether his position in our squad, let alone team, will be threatened when the summer comes. It just hasn't been a good season for him at all. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Ole deems him transferable this summer if another striker becomes available. Then again, if we go for Sancho or he's impressed by Diallo - then I suppose Greenwood will get more opportunities up top which will ease the burden on having Martial as an option.

He's not useless, he's just in a horrific rough patch. But it's worrying how he doesn't seem to make any positive impact at the moment.

rollingstoned1

club has invested a lot in martial for them to just up and give up on him, we were banking on him and rashford to be our rooney and ronaldo of this generation. unless there is a very good offer from someone which may be unlikely in this climate he will still be here even if he gets dropped for a while from the first xi just to prove a point and light a fire under him.

Threesus

I don't think you can take anything from a 10 minute cameo. But he needs to get into gear and not just be doing his best Firmino impression. Neither of our wide forwards in Greenwood and Rashford are at the level of a prime Mane or Salah, yet, so he has to chip in with goals and assists. Once he does that, we can do some serious damage in this title charge.

keener

Martial should not feature in a game that means something for the club ever again. He doesn't have the quality to play for us and every minute he's on the pitch, he's sealing time from other players that need to be developing. I'd prefer us find a different shape in order to keep him off the pitch. He doesn't work hard enough, can't hold the ball, has no vision and generally isn't good enough to wear Red Devil Red!

I prefer Greenwood, or our midfielders in a diamond (DVB, Fred, McTom) or even Telles to get his minutes. He needs to find a lesser side and a place he can play on the left and would fit nicely with a mid table team, scoring 6-12 goals per year on a nice mid contract for Palace, West Ham or Arse-nal.

He is holding us back and it's taken Ole too long to squeeze him out of the team. This is my one major criticism of our Gaffer.

Foxbatt

Apart from the last full game he has played Martial in the team has played better than without him. Apart from the last game Greenwood has been much worse than Martial.

rooney2009

Martial is a good player and will not be sold. He is going through a bad scoring spell atm but will come through it
He is still playing well and we are winning
look at Pogba's turnaround and now he is flourishing

Status
Not open for further replies.