Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Another forum scapegoat, just a player out of form. Not sure you get that form back coming on for nonsense minutes or different positions.....

SAFMUTD

What hes said is hold shape and wait for the counter, pretty glaringly obvious really.
Maybe thats why Ole took Greenwood off, must be furious at him running his socks off, luckily for him we got Martial to do the jogging job properly.

Water Melon

Tony looks either depressed or totally indifferent to what happens on the pitch. Today he was a tad moody and less indifferent, which is a tiny progress.

Raven

Maybe thats why Ole took Greenwood off, must be furious at him running his socks off, luckily for him we got Martial to do the jogging job properly.
Did you see anyone pressing after Greenwood came off? We'd been sat in for the majority of the second half, waiting for the counter attack, it's pretty stunning that you're jumping on a 15 minute cameo here when he seemed to be doing as he was instructed.

UncleBob

Bizarre moaning. We were barely stringing two passes together and hardly looked willing to attack all second half, one single change up front isn't going to change anything. He was brought on for fresh legs and to be on the receiving end for counter attacks. Scapegoat

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This thread should not even be active right now, but people will use Martial to vent their frustration, business as usual. Normally, he'd make them eat their words but this season, Anti-Martial FC is feasting.

SAFMUTD

Did you see anyone pressing after Greenwood came off? We'd been sat in for the majority of the second half, waiting for the counter attack, it's pretty stunning that you're jumping on a 15 minute cameo here when he seemed to be doing as he was instructed.
Its not a 15 minute cameo, its Martial attitude all season. He is in a poor form, he's being criticized because his lack of effort and still he shows nothing to slow down his critics.

Don't care how you put it, every man and his dog knows Martial has an attitude problem. I can accept poor form patches, it happens, what I can't accept is poor effort. Thats why I'm angry at him, its like he doesn't realize he should be putting extra effort every game to compensate for his poor form.

Nah man he walks on the pitch as if he's prime Messi, jogging here and there. Losing the ball here and there and let others do the work, putting on a shift? Nah that's not for me, I'm an attacking player.

Raven

Its not a 15 minute cameo, its Martial attitude all season. He is in a poor form, he's being criticized because his lack of effort and still he shows nothing to slow down his critics.

Don't care how you put it, every man and his dog knows Martial has an attitude problem. I can accept poor form patches, it happens, what I can't accept is poor effort. Thats why I'm angry at him, its like he doesn't realize he should be putting extra effort every game to compensate for his poor form.

Nah man he walks on the pitch as if he's prime Messi, jogging here and there. Losing the ball here and there and let others do the work, putting on a shift? Nah that's not for me, I'm an attacking player.
Take a night off bud, you're getting way too worked up.

M16Red

He is not a 9, simple as that really.

Which is weird because he wants to be a 9, yet isn't in the between posts enough to play that position.

Also, his movement into the box isn't at pace and he moves out the box all the time.

Really is frustrating, because he is really is talented.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Might as well they let me play in. Similarly produced feck all, but at least I'd show passion by running like a mad old dog on the field.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For all the criticism Martial gets, what are his replacements really doing? So is it just a player problem or also an offensive system problem?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Another forum scapegoat, just a player out of form. Not sure you get that form back coming on for nonsense minutes or different positions.....
Well if he wants to play more, he has to give Ole reasons to. Everyone single of his cameos are the same, lethargic and lazy displays. He really looked like he woke up from a nice nap tonight.
He makes it very easy to bench him and give him little minutes in most games.
He isn't trustworthy at all, if he were, he would play much more

Raven

Might as well they let me play in. Similarly produced feck all, but at least I'd show passion by running like a mad old dog on the field.
Christ, you know when comments like this start coming out you've reached the bottom of the barrel.
For all the criticism Martial gets, what are his replacements really doing? So is it just a player problem or also an offensive system problem?
I think so, we don't get the ball to our striker in good positions or frequently enough.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Christ, you know when comments like this start coming out you've reached the bottom of the barrel.
Bravo. Expecting a 250k/wk player to show some passion is reaching bottom of the barrel. And he just needed to do it for 15 minutes. But yeh, it's too much for you.

Raven

Yeh, expecting a 250k/wk player to show some passion is reaching bottom of the barrel.
Yeah, because you curled up in a ball on the half way line, gasping for air is going to do us more good than having Martial on. Fecking embarrassing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, because you curled up in a ball on the half way line, gasping for air is going to do us more good than having Martial on. Fecking embarrassing.
Seriously? In 15 minutes? :lol:

You don't even know me to make judgement call. THAT is fecking embarassing. The length you go with this Martial thing. :lol:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Martial's played 2 positions all season, just like all our other attackers. He's also played 2,200 minutes this season so it's not like he's not had the opportunity to play himself out of poor form.

Nobody can really complain about his performance, as it looked like he was following the basic instructions for his position in the counter-attack, however I do think that he always seems to do the bare minimum required of him. If Rooney/Rashford/Bruno/Cavani had come on in his position, they'd be playing with a little more urgency given the score and the fact they're fresh legged.

Raven

Martial's played 2 positions all season, just like all our other attackers. He's also played 2,200 minutes this season so it's not like he's not had the opportunity to play himself out of poor form.

Nobody can really complain about his performance, as it looked like he was following the basic instructions for his position in the counter-attack, however I do think that he always seems to do the bare minimum required of him. If Rooney/Rashford/Bruno/Cavani had come on in his position, they'd be playing with a little more urgency given the score and the fact they're fresh legged.
It's true that he's been given good opportunities to play himself into form and hasn't managed to do it yet. Rashford has come on loads of times this season to offer absolutely nothing as well.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He’s rated as the worst player of the match. This place is just fecking amazing isnt it.

Agenda/racism is the only reason.
I'll bite......

Explain why it's racism ?

As for his cameo today given he was only on the pitch a few mins its not OK to scapegoat him. However he didn't really get involved which is the normal Martial.

Mr PG

Martial fans are never willing to admit even if they kmow the real reason he gets stick is he doesn’t work hard enough.

Foot Fans are usually willing to tolerate a player going through a dip in form as long as they always put a shift in.

And don’t give me those running stats as they can ne misleading. A sprint is usually much more effective than a jog.

Djemba-Djemba

He's scored 2 goals in his last 15 games, both against Southampton after coming on in a game against 10 men where we were 4-0 up.

Ole has been playing him week in and week out in a desperate attempt for him to find some form, it's only recently he's dropped him to the bench. Martial has been fecking atrocious all season long, he could have been dropped in about November and he could have had no complaints.

You really can't criticise Ole for not giving Martial enough chances, if anything he was given too many chances!

The Oracle

Anyone who saw Ole's post match interview on Sky today, will know that Martial isn't going anywhere.

Asked about Martial's absence from the starting line-up, Ole's response was along the lines of, 'Anthony is here for the long-term'.

I guess it's a fact that we will have to accept.

Djemba-Djemba

People really need to stop trying to group Rashford with Martial on here as if they're both deserving of equal criticism.

Rashford can be be frustrating but he's close to 20 goals again this season and he's scored a lot of important goals for us. Martial has been appalling all season.

He's been miles better than Martial.

He'sRaldo

The penny will drop on this point soon enough.

He's not the first attacker to show shocking form in our system, doubt he'll be the last.

BlahRules

Something is off with Martial. One thing I can count is holding the ball but everytime the ball was fizzed into him he lost the ball.

MadMike

Cavani is doing a lot better for starters, same number of goals in about half the minutes and with better box presence. Across the front 3, even James has better goals/min ratio than Martial and he would get my vote ahead of him just for sheer work rate anyway. I would say that with all forwards fit then Cavani, Rashford and James are perhaps our best options currently.

The only player having a worse season than Martial is Greenwood. Which isn't much of defence for Martial, because Greenwood is our youngest forward and a teenager who is blatantly suffering from 2nd season syndrome. While Martial is a 25yo on 250k pw with a whole different level of expectations.

None of that has to do with today's game btw, by the time he came on the rest of the team had given up and settled for a draw already.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He watched Daniel James run and run for 80minutes. Our team puts in a real effort to press the Chelsea defense. He comes on with 10mins to go, fresh, ready. HE JOGS AROUND THE FECKING PITCH.

I'm so done with him. Get rid this Summer.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He watched Daniel James run and run for 80minutes. Our team puts in a real effort to press the Chelsea defense. He comes on with 10mins to go, fresh, ready. HE JOGS AROUND THE FECKING PITCH.

I'm so done with him. Get rid this Summer.
I just wonder why is the coaching staff not adressing this and if they have tried, it's a complete failure

Litch

He's scored 2 goals in his last 15 games, both against Southampton after coming on in a game against 10 men where we were 4-0 up.

Ole has been playing him week in and week out in a desperate attempt for him to find some form, it's only recently he's dropped him to the bench. Martial has been fecking atrocious all season long, he could have been dropped in about November and he could have had no complaints.

You really can't criticise Ole for not giving Martial enough chances, if anything he was given too many chances!
Absolute nonsense and like some, you need some emotional intelligence before responding when using words like 'atrocious'. The way we support our players we deserve everything we are getting at this moment and it seems that whilst players are struggling with their form, we think it's a switch that they can turn off and on. Maybe it's me but I've seen aspects of Martial's game massively improve under Ole beyond scoring goals. I've seen him still getting into positions to score goals, it's just not happening which isn't dissimilar to Mason.

Never fails to amaze me that we might have two of our most talented players leave this summer, and most of the fans on here would drive them to the airport. No worries, I'm sure we'll bring in some players that smile and run around a lot.....

laughtersassassin

Obviously we ha to bring him on but Greenwood did so much better than him at holding the ball up and brining other into the play.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I don’t get the correlation between running round headlessly and passion. Football is best played by finding space and making angles for a pass, not chasing the ball like a bunch of 5 yr olds. Dan James runs his legs off most games and gets nothing but stick.

we don't get the ball to our striker in good positions or frequently enough.
this, basically. Mason was pretty anonymous yesterday and I suspect Edi would have been too. There was no great service from behind, except a couple of excellent long balls from Victor. Most of the play was in the middle third.
There is no doubt Anthony is out of form, but the denigrate him of the strength of yesterday’s game is harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.