Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkey

Absolute nonsense and like some, you need some emotional intelligence before responding when using words like 'atrocious'. The way we support our players we deserve everything we are getting at this moment and it seems that whilst players are struggling with their form, we think it's a switch that they can turn off and on. Maybe it's me but I've seen aspects of Martial's game massively improve under Ole beyond scoring goals. I've seen him still getting into positions to score goals, it's just not happening which isn't dissimilar to Mason.

Never fails to amaze me that we might have two of our most talented players leave this summer, and most of the fans on here would drive them to the airport. No worries, I'm sure we'll bring in some players that smile and run around a lot.....
The problem with Martial isn't talent. It's application, or in his case, a lack of application. That's what most people complaining about him are saying. He did stroll around, again, when brought on yesterday. Yes, the rest of the team had tired and was sitting back a bit more, but that's no excuse. He should be coming on in a big game with a chip on his shoulder having been left out, willing to prove that he shouldn't be left out in future. Harass the back line, sprint around for 15 minutes, you're a professional athlete and should be able to manage that. Instead, he just ambles around. And doesn't exactly give us anything when we do manage to get the ball to him. He needs a long stint on the bench, none of this rubbish about not being given enough time, being a forum scapegoat. It's March FFS. And he's been rubbish all year. But people want him to "play himself into form". Madness, let's just let top 4 fall by the wayside so we can let a talented underachiever get back to his top level .. for 2 games before he does his usual disappearing act for the next 4. Lather, rinse, repeat.

He's 25 now. He's talented, but lazy and inconsistent. He's never going to be top class. Fine as bench option, but we need a significant upgrade.

Locke

You could expect some fire in him going down the pecking order one more step but he comes on and don’t even press opposition 2 meters away.
I wonder what his teammates and Ole think of him really. Must be very frustrating when everyone else ran for 80 min.
I don’t think he got the mentality to succeed in United, if it’s personal issues or moaning about the competition for CF I don’t know but what he’s doing right now isn’t working and never will.
Just run, try, show that you care and the fans will be behind you even if nothing works.
Looks like he’s giving up and if so so should we in the summer and move him on.
To bad really, that talent with the right mentality could be something special.

Djemba-Djemba

Absolute nonsense and like some, you need some emotional intelligence before responding when using words like 'atrocious'. The way we support our players we deserve everything we are getting at this moment and it seems that whilst players are struggling with their form, we think it's a switch that they can turn off and on. Maybe it's me but I've seen aspects of Martial's game massively improve under Ole beyond scoring goals. I've seen him still getting into positions to score goals, it's just not happening which isn't dissimilar to Mason.

Never fails to amaze me that we might have two of our most talented players leave this summer, and most of the fans on here would drive them to the airport. No worries, I'm sure we'll bring in some players that smile and run around a lot.....
Maybe he'll bring in some players that can play as a striker and score some goals? Cos Martial is doing neither.

Martial has been awful all season and you're in complete denial talking utter bollocks about emotional intelligence.

The fact is Martial is the main striker for Man Utd, he has scored 2 goals in his last 15 games both against ten man Southampton when the game was already won. He's scored 7 goals all season and only 4 league goals. Maybe that kind of mediocrity is good enough for you but it isn't for most of us.

I don't give a shit about Martial smiling, I want him to play well and score and he's not been doing that all season which is why he's deservedly been dropped. But yeah, lets just keep playing him week after week in a blind hope he finds form. Idiotic.

dirkey

Maybe he'll bring in some players that can play as a striker and score some goals? Cos Martial is doing neither.

Martial has been awful all season and you're in complete denial talking utter bollocks about emotional intelligence.

The fact is Martial is the main striker for Man Utd, he has scored 2 goals in his last 15 games both against ten man Southampton when the game was already won. He's scored 7 goals all season and only 4 league goals. Maybe that kind of mediocrity is good enough for you but it isn't for most of us.

I don't give a shit about Martial smiling, I want him to play well and score and he's not been doing that all season.
Or, as you state, put in some effort. It's funny, the people who defend Martial point to Rashford. Rashford has a far better record with regard to goals and assists, despite being played out wide and not up front. And he puts in way more effort than Martial. But they say Rashford doesn't put in effort. It's mad. Could he put in more? Definitely. Does he make mind numbingly annoying bad decisions repeatedly? Definitely. Is he a far superior, more consistent, more hard working player than Martial? 100%.

Djemba-Djemba

Or, as you state, put in some effort. It's funny, the people who defend Martial point to Rashford. Rashford has a far better record with regard to goals and assists, despite being played out wide and not up front. And he puts in way more effort than Martial. But they say Rashford doesn't put in effort. It's mad. Could he put in more? Definitely. Does he make mind numbingly annoying bad decisions repeatedly? Definitely. Is he a far superior, more consistent, more hard working player than Martial? 100%.
Yeah I totally agree.

It's just baffling we get so many trying to group Rashford and Martial together. As if they're both equally as bad this season.

I've said it plenty of times, Rashford can frustrate with his decision making but he's offering so much more than Martial in 20/21 it's ridiculous to try and compare them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is absolutely rubbish.

It's the people that hate on Martial that hate on Rashford. They end up talking up how United has lost quality or some crap.

The people who defend Martial rarely hate on Rashford. Very few.

dirkey

It's the people that hate on Martial that hate on Rashford. They end up talking up how United has lost quality or some crap.

Is it? Maybe, I feel like I see it a lot, but maybe it just stands out to me. I know it was mentioned in the last page or two about "Rashford coming on and offering nothing".

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That is actually quite debatable. In terms of general workrate there isn't much between them most of the time these days. Rashford might just shade it but not to any significant amount.

The only thing stopping the two of them being talked about in a similar way is the fact that Rashford has still managed to score and assist quite a decent amount this season. Which obviously is a huge thing so it would be ridiculous to claim that they've been as bad as each other. But take the goals and assists out and he's only had about 5 or 6 truly good games this season, and the rest of the time his general play hasn't been much different than Martial.

I think acknowledging both aspects (Rashford's poor general form, but still managing to get the end product) is important when discussing how he's played this season. When I see people talk about only one without the other it always feels like only half the story.

GueRed

I find the Martial Fanboys on twitter (as well as Pogba FC) the most toxic fans.

Their vitriol and hatred is reserved for EVERY United player (main targets Maguire, McTominay, Rashford) and the manager non-stop.

I hope they follow 'their boy' Martial to Galatasaray or whatever club he fades away to within he next couple of years....

Raven

Is it? Maybe, I feel like I see it a lot, but maybe it just stands out to me. I know it was mentioned in the last page or two about "Rashford coming on and offering nothing".
That's because people were lying about Rashford's work rate to denigrate Martial. Rashford has consistently been our laziest player this season yet his "hard work" is used as a stick to beat Martial with. I agree that Rashford has had a far better season, but there's no need to lie about the things he offers, just as there is no need to lie about Martial's work rate (which has been pretty average this season, but noticeably superior to Rashford's).

dirkey

That's because people were lying about Rashford's work rate to denigrate Martial. Rashford has consistently been our laziest player this season yet his "hard work" is used as a stick to beat Martial with. I agree that Rashford has had a far better season, but there's no need to lie about the things he offers, just as there is no need to lie about Martial's work rate (which has been pretty average this season, but noticeably superior to Rashford's).
@Bebestation - See what I mean? Utter rubbish.

Raven

@Bebestation - See what I mean? Utter rubbish.
You notice it most when Martial is out on the left, he generally actually tracks back and gets involved in defending whereas Rashford definitely does not.

Edit: There are many reasons Rashford has had a better season, work rate ain't one of them.

simplyared

Convinced it's an attitude issue more than anything. His attitude is his problem. Yesterday when he came on he contributed zero to our attack. In fact he lost possession on a number of occasions. So as a team we were weakened when he came on for Greenwood.

Jeffthered

I don't give a shit about Martial smiling, I want him to play well and score and he's not been doing that all season which is why he's deservedly been dropped. But yeah, lets just keep playing him week after week in a blind hope he finds form. Idiotic.
This.

I am surprised (and rather worried) that some fans STILL are keen on holding onto Martial. What does that say about Manchester United FC? The guy needs to go.. six seasons, etc, etc and we all know what to expect.

OGS gave him a new contract recently ffs. Look at his response to that.

A mid-table Ligue 1 player.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That is actually quite debatable. In terms of general workrate there isn't much between them most of the time these days. Rashford might just shade it but not to any significant amount.

The only thing stopping the two of them being talked about in a similar way is the fact that Rashford has still managed to score and assist quite a decent amount this season. Which obviously is a huge thing so it would be ridiculous to claim that they've been as bad as each other. But take the goals and assists out and he's only had about 5 or 6 truly good games this season, and the rest of the time his general play hasn't been much different than Martial.

I think acknowledging both aspects (Rashford's poor general form, but still managing to get the end product) is important when discussing how he's played this season. When I see people talk about only one without the other it always feels like only half the story.
Isn't Rashford still playing with some pain in his back? That's never going to recover fast especially when we rushed him back early and he has so many games to play.

Martial's healthy and still fecking about on the pitch. We could put a bale of hay on the pitch and the wind would ensure it'll travel more than Martial does in the game. He's such an incredibly infuriating player because we know how good he can be but he'll never achieve it because of how little he cares on the pitch. Should bin him as soon as possible.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Isn't Rashford still playing with some pain in his back? That's never going to recover fast especially when we rushed him back early and he has so many games to play.
We know Lindelof is playing through a back injury. Haven't heard anything related to Rashford, it's more that people are guessing it might be a contributing issue rather than anything that's been confirmed.

Raven

Martial's healthy and still fecking about on the pitch. We could put a bale of hay on the pitch and the wind would ensure it'll travel more than Martial does in the game. He's such an incredibly infuriating player because we know how good he can be but he'll never achieve it because of how little he cares on the pitch. Should bin him as soon as possible.
Bullshit take. Why can't we just leave the hyperbolic shite out of it.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Bullshit take. Why can't we just leave the hyperbolic shite out of it.
Ok, he's just the worst player for us in almost every game he's featured for us this season and yet you've people defending him because they think he's young and talented.

He's a fecking waste of time and money and that's all he is.

Raven

Ok, he's just the worst player for us in almost every game he's featured for us this season and yet you've people defending him because they think he's young and talented.

He's a fecking waste of time and money and that's all he is.
He's not consistently been our worst player, he's been consistently bad, whereas every one else has been inconsistent, barring Shaw, Bruno and Fred. There have been plenty of games this season where Rashford and especially Greenwood have been worse. I have no problem saying he's been the biggest disappointment and doesn't deserve to be starting but all this hyperbole is just boring.

Whether or not he turns things around is one thing but saying a bale of hay is going to move more or that he's been the worst player in every game he plays adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Foxbatt

I understand why Ole plays Martial. It's not because he is playing brilliantly. It's because he is better than Greenwood when playing as CF. Not for himself but for the team. He holds the ball better than Greenwood. He brings others into the game better than Greenwood. His dribbles better than Greenwood.
As for their workrate, it's almost the same but Martial is better in defending and tracking back than Greenwood. So when Cavani is out Ole has no choice.

lenny_1248

Clearly was a problem and the reason we did not score.
But if we had Haaland we'd be above City btw (according to some deluded people).

edgecutter

I'm starting to think it may not be Martial but the tactics and coaching. Once again we created feck all against a poor Palace side.

lenny_1248

I'm starting to think it may not be Martial but the tactics and coaching. Once again we created feck all against a poor Palace side.
No, he's genuinely playing like shit now, putting minimum effort. But people are making him the scapegoat. Him and Pogba will always be the easy targets.
People think that if we find someone scoring 25+ goals we can just simply add all these numbers to a team's total as if this player will score all his goals by himself.

Build-up is abysmal. The middle of the pitch is abysmal. There are no recyclers of the ball, no one can dictate the tempo, zero quality.

UnitedRepublic

Quality control
Didn’t make enough runs today. Good hold up play but not in the box enough should of scored. Didn’t try to beat his man.

Our team has problems is clear to see if we can’t counter, then we’re done. I rather we play as a team and play disciplined (Van Gaal) rather than individual brilliance. I really belive we would win a title with Van Gaal if he was given the time to develope Martial, Rashford & Memphis and eventually buying more players that would of been at their peak by now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Martial didn’t make any runs yesterday because he wasn’t in the squad. Feck me how do the newbies get away with this?

Classical Mechanic

Didn’t make enough runs today. Good hold up play but not in the box enough should of scored. Didn’t try to beat his man.

Our team has problems is clear to see if we can’t counter, then we’re done. I rather we play as a team and play disciplined (Van Gaal) rather than individual brilliance. I really belive we would win a title with Van Gaal if he was given the time to develope Martial, Rashford & Memphis and eventually buying more players that would of been at their peak by now.
Just enjoy your retirement Louis.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Was awful

He didn't play last night. What are you on about?

Counterfactual

Please tell me this was sarcasm of the highest order. Please tell me you were pointing out the flaws in a team who couldn't break down a Palace team without Martial, thereby attempting to prove Martial isn't the problem everyone believes him to be.

I'd disagree, but at least it'd be an argument you could make, rather than actually rubbishing a player who didn't play!

Raven

Martial didn’t make any runs yesterday because he wasn’t in the squad. Feck me how do the newbies get away with this?
I thought they were all joking, pointing out that maybe there's an issue with our attacking in general.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

This is some fine wummery

Born2Lose

Should have started last night, he scored 5 for me in my FIFA Ultimate team against Barcelona last weekend.

Mainoldo

You hand on heart fell for that?

I’m going to confidently say you were wumming back. Top quality if so!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.