Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooney2009

I don’t know why some numpties are not wishing him well
We need Martial to return to form like Cavani and Greenwood have done recently
To challenge for the title we need a squad of players all firing just look at city,they have Rajeem,Aguero and Jesus on the bench
We need the whole squad to be ready,We will not win the league with just 11 players

Foxbatt

I hope he comes back and proves the doubters wrong. He’s still one of the best players at the club at his best and does have the ability to play for a top side. What a shocking season he’s had though. I suspect he will get one more make or break season here.
His problem this season has been scoring. Last season you can bet your house on Martial to score when it's one v one. Now he can't even buy a goal. If he had been able to convert even half the chances he had he would be doing good.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think his problem is a lack of will. Its one thing to be given the freedom, and leeway he got last season. Its another to be expected to perform season after season and even outperform your best season. Don't think Martial has that energy in him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As a comparison, we signed Telles to provide competition to Shaw.
Cavani to be "backup" to Martial.

The difference between the reactions of the two players couldn't be more light and day.
100%

But he’ll also be like a new signing or something… I thought he’d come good for the second half of the season like last year. How wrong I was!

Devil may care

I'm interested to see him play in a front 4 that has Pogba in it, we've looked so much more creative since he started playing off the left of the attack. Also, while know Cavani has been in good form it looks very much like he can only play 1 game a week as if the game with Liverpool had gone ahead we were going to play Rashford out of position as the #9 with Cavani on the bench.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
His problem this season has been scoring. Last season you can bet your house on Martial to score when it's one v one. Now he can't even buy a goal. If he had been able to convert even half the chances he had he would be doing good.
I think his overall play has also been considerably worse than last season. If his hold up play had remained at that incredibly high level then people may have been more forgiving. He’s just looked low on confidence in his general play all season which Is why I think we do have to question if he is mentally strong enough, because at least to me it’s clear he has more than enough talent. I really hope he can get back to his best because I just enjoy watching him play.

lex talionis

I think his problem is a lack of will. Its one thing to be given the freedom, and leeway he got last season. Its another to be expected to perform season after season and even outperform your best season. Don't think Martial has that energy in him.
This. Martial has looked a broken man all season, for whatever reason none of can know anything about. Maybe he's been at OT too long and wants to go back home. Whatever it is he puts in minimal effort on the pitch and apart from the second half of last season he hasn't looked like a footballer who really cares whether we win or lose matches.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
It's sad to say but the fact is we haven't missed Martial one bit since he got injured.
This is undeniably true. But,. on the other hand, we have missed the Martial from last year at many times this year.

If he could rediscover that player within himself, consistently, I would love to have Martial as one of our leading players.

I don't have a lot of confidence in him achieving it though.

TrustInJanuzaj

This. Martial has looked a broken man all season, for whatever reason none of can know anything about. Maybe he's been at OT too long and wants to go back home. Whatever it is he puts in minimal effort on the pitch and apart from the second half of last season he hasn't looked like a footballer who really cares whether we win or lose matches.
Couldn’t disagree with that post more. I think it’s a lazy narrative. This is a player who has regularly performed when all others didn’t. He’s scored key goals, saved a managers job who wanted him gone and fought against a lack of support from this fan base for years. He clearly does have some mental fragility but to say he doesn’t care is pretty poor taste.

Raven

Last season was his best season since his first so I'm not sure you can say he doesn't have it in him. He's let himself and the team down massively this season but I think he has it in him to come back.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I think even though I don't like him as a player that he's been a bit unlucky with the injury triyng to run/press more but obviously his muscle memory is not there to sustain that pressure so he suffers from that and that's kind of a cycle so he doesn't wanna get injured, also part of a reason why he rarely make runs and reach fullspeed.

lex talionis

Couldn’t disagree with that post more. I think it’s a lazy narrative. This is a player who has regularly performed when all others didn’t. He’s scored key goals, saved a managers job who wanted him gone and fought against a lack of support from this fan base for years. He clearly does have some mental fragility but to say he doesn’t care is pretty poor taste.
I’m the first to acknowledge that we can’t know why Martial has put in woeful performances all season long, but I cannot imagine anyone denying here — which thankfully, no one even tries to deny here — that his work rate has been abysmal.

During the second half of last season we saw in Tony a footballer who played with intensity and fought through adversity. That was not the footballer we had seen the previous two seasons or the footballer we’ve seen this season.

We can’t answer why, but we can’t deny what we’ve seen this season. And I hope no one here wants to see more of the same next season.

OL29

I’m the first to acknowledge that we can’t know why Martial has put in woeful performances all season long, but I cannot imagine anyone denying here — which thankfully, no one even tries to deny here — that his work rate has been abysmal.

During the second half of last season we saw in Tony a footballer who played with intensity and fought through adversity. That was not the footballer we had seen the previous two seasons or the footballer we’ve seen this season.

We can’t answer why, but we can’t deny what we’ve seen this season. And I hope no one here wants to see more of the same next season.
He and Pogba almost single handedly kept Mourinho in a job for a good 2 months before he was sacked, when it looked like the rest of the team had given up. He’s been rubbish this season but people always embellish when it comes to his attitude.

TrustInJanuzaj

He and Pogba almost single handedly kept Mourinho in a job for a good 2 months before he was sacked, when it looked like the rest of the team had given up. He’s been rubbish this season but people always embellish when it comes to his attitude.
Agreed.

Counterfactual

Is it a Lingard-like story with Martial? What's happened for him to be so poor this season? Surely it wasn't just Lamela being a dick and getting Martial his first red card?

dirkey

I'm fine with him coming back, it's good news... So long as ole can clearly see that our best team does not contain him. He should be a sub at most. We're a better team without him this year. If he sparks in his cameos and earns starts, great. But don't gift starts to him like we have been all year, despite his horrible form.

snk123

Plenty of the usual posters saying we have been better without him - yeah it has nothing to do with Pogba coming back and actually transforming our football.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I don’t think Its total a coincidence he dropped off when Cavani/Zlatan came in. It feels like he’s the arm around the shoulder confidence player but everyone can also see Ole has given him every chance this season to play his way back. I think he could still be a useful player for us and I doubt the club are going to sell him a year after giving him a new deal so as underwhelming as this season has been he is probably going to get another season at least, probably longer knowing us. The problem is I’m not sure if he fits into our strongest 11 anymore. he’ll still get plenty of games rotating with Cavani, I’m just not sure if a rotation spot will be enough incentive for him to refocus.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Plenty of the usual posters saying we have been better without him - yeah it has nothing to do with Pogba coming back and actually transforming our football.
Having CF at the end of those balls with much better tactical awareness and doesn't rely on the dribble so much I'd say helps though. Not a Martial hater by any means but to deny he is not limited and hasn't progressed enough to be a starter is denying reality.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He and Richarlson are similar. Immense skill amd physical attributes but can only put it together when they are confident and things are going their way.

Both should be the main man for club amd country but are outdone by lesser players talent wise.

Such a shame. I've been in his corner so often.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Martial just needs to either learn from Edison or stay as a wide forward and for me his nose is out of joint after being removed as main striker. He still can be a top player so hopefully we can get him back to his best. I also think ,some players dull more when they are not competing. In a confident flowing team, I think we might see a renewed freshness rather then someone going through motions

city-puma

Martial has an awful season, no doubt about it.
But let me put my words here, he will come back stronger than never before! He will become everyone of us wants him to be.

Jacob

Martial has an awful season, no doubt about it.
But let me put my words here, he will come back stronger than never before! He will become everyone of us wants him to be.
He will not and you can quote me on it. He lacks the determination and professionalism to be here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He and Richarlson are similar. Immense skill amd physical attributes but can only put it together when they are confident and things are going their way.

Both should be the main man for club amd country but are outdone by lesser players talent wise.

Such a shame. I've been in his corner so often.
Richarlison is the poor & raw version of Rashford not Martial. Richarlison has aggressiveness like Rashford, direct like Rashford & tends to make poor decision. Except Rashford is just level about him in all the strength but the style of play is similar.

jem

I feel almost relieved that injury limited his game time. I was a big fan of his talent but for me there is no place for him in this team. We are a better unit with Cavani ip front.
Yes but I’d love for Martial to get some time on the wing and give Rashford a much-needed break.

jem

Why does everyone take it as given that he is somehow resentful of Cavani? I think he’s just a moody guy who really struggles for consistency.

marktan

I'm still a believer of his. His on-ball ability and dribbling is an asset, especially against teams like City which we saw when we beat them.

His finishing has been suspect this season compared to last, but it's nothing to write him off over.

Situation reminds me of Shaw 2 seasons ago or Pogba throughout his stint here - all 3 are immensely talented players and so patience is required with them. If it's someone like Andreas Perreira or Fosuh-Mensah then fair enough you can let them go but Martial's technical abilities are very high.

The Oracle

His sulky attitude is horrendous.

He is also lazy.

I just wish he would move on.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Desperately need to get rid of this guy just to get away from our old era of always coming up short. We need to clear our the old furniture for a new vibe, and we did great by replacing DDG.

He is associated with the worst period in the Premier league that we've gone through. Get him out.

RedDevil@84

I think he’s just a moody guy
He became moody when Sanchez came on. He became moody when Zlatan stole his no 9. He seems moody now when Cavani is here.
He seems to get moody when someone joins attack

Status
Not open for further replies.