Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Repeatedly ? If Cavani is fit/available then Martial's become useless basically. He is currently benefiting from Ronaldo not being to play every possible game and Cavani being absent. It's just sad that he doesn't wanna use these rare opportunities to stand out
Repeatedly meaning more than once. Every time he plays now it’s through the centre. And he’s absolutely shit as a centre forward. Shit with his back to goal. Shit movement. Zero poacher’s instincts. No appetite for physically competing with central defenders. No hold up play. Shit in the air. It’s such a mystery to me how he ever gets picked to play that position.

Abraxas

I find it strange there is always this feeling he'll go elsewhere and set the place alight. He just needs a fresh start, apparently.

For somebody that enjoys football that makes sense, but I get the distinct feeling this is a profession Martial happened to be good at. I think you have to have enjoyed it at some point to get this good at football but the relentless of professional football and the demands don't seem to gel with him.

Hasn't he been pretty appalling for France overall as well?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Repeatedly meaning more than once. Every time he plays now it’s through the centre. And he’s absolutely shit as a centre forward. Shit with his back to goal. Shit movement. Zero poacher’s instincts. No appetite for physically competing with central defenders. No hold up play. Shit in the air. It’s such a mystery to me how he ever gets picked to play that position.
I suppose there was no alternatives tonight and the few times he's made appearances this season ? Cavani cannot come back soon enough

Bar his finishing he was actually much better tonight, it’s just that his already low stock with basically all our fans right now combined with the odd poor touch (and obviously the miss) made his overall game look worse than it really was.

He had a lot of sharp touches, a few moments of decent skill and some quick passing to progress attacks nicely. I liked that he actually showed for the ball a lot rather than just walking around the area waiting for the game to come to him, and he was quite effective at the times he floated across the line to receive the ball just inside/outside of the area.

Note: My judgement is quite possibly skewed because (a) when one of our players struggles for such a long time I eventually go from anger to frustration and then finally pity, which is where I’m at now. The crowd getting on his back added to the aforementioned pity.
(B) I’ve worked in mental health/learning disability positions for quite a few years, and I also have ADHD (inattentive type). I’ve thought for quite some time that he exhibits signs of inattentive ADHD but not a Doctor by any stretch so maybe this is just a variation on pity by justifying the state he’s in currently.
(C) I went out to the cinema to watch the New Saints of Newark and so watched the match “as live” on my return and wasn’t as invested as usual (plus my ADHD riddled brain was already worn out from trying to concentrate on a film for 2 hours…)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I suppose there was no alternatives tonight and the few times he's made appearances this season ? Cavani cannot come back soon enough
Yeah, you’re right. We lack alternatives. Although that’s partly because Martial has taken the place of a striker in our squad. Hence the number 9 shirt. People were laughing at us being linked with Ings but feck me, we’d have been at least 20% better as a team tonight with Ings up top.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Was at the game tonight so kept an eye on him. He offered nothing with his half arsed pressing and inability to find space. I was optimistic that he could turn it round this season but not so much after that performance. He needs to go somewhere else.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah, you’re right. We lack alternatives. Although that’s partly because Martial has taken the place of a striker in our squad. Hence the number 9 shirt. People were laughing at us being linked with Ings but feck me, we’d have been at least 20% better as a team tonight with Ings up top.
And that's a Ings who's suffered from a serious injury to come back at a good level. He puts to shame the likes of Martial.

yamo123x

Cheating a living.
He has given up even trying.

He has no future here, got the world at his feet yet he doesn’t even try or move or do anything.

I think he needs to see a psychologist....he is ruining his career

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We're dominating the ball in the 2nd half, chasing a goal. Martial only get 12 touches and does sweet feck all. The amount of times he's on the backfoot and not gambling at the inside post when a cross is coming in, he just stands still in the middle of the box. He was isolated at times, but he offers nothing as a CF, no striker craft in the slightest. Just jogs around and makes the occasional run down the left side. When you watch Cavani and Ronaldo play the difference is night and day.

Lucky *7*

If Ronaldo was playing like Martial has for the past few years and taking his pay cheque he would get so much abuse on social media and in the press. Yet Martial keeps getting protected. He's arrogant, lazy and needs to leave the club but he keeps hanging around like a bad smell let's see in January but I suspect he will be like a cockroach and hang on to his job at this football club when he doesn't deserve it.

He can't play as number 9 he has zero hold up ability like Ronaldo and Ronaldo even though he's a billionaire and won everything in football.. shows hunger, desire etc to make things happen, go searching for the ball, making runs in behind etc the difference is night and day in terms of application and attitude.

you have to blame Martial for his career. All the talent in the World but a bad attitude. Get rid of this bad apple before he brings other players down.

RedDevilQuebecois

To think that the guy who both sent Skrtel out of the Premier League and made Virgil van Dijk (then at Southampton) look shite the week after just 6 years ago is the same guy as this heap of cowshit I've seen since last season, it's really depressing.

edit: Whether a team wants to spend Reminbis, Riyals, or Iiras to buy Martial, I would take the money and gift them Martial ASAP.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Sell him in January. I swear any other big club would've got rid of him years ago.

Sviken

Should have gotten rid of him ages ago. Mourinho saw the signs. Never had the mentality to make it at any top club.

Hawks2008

Honestly would rather have kept James than him and am disappointed we didn't sell him after his fluke season when his value was highest.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Honestly would rather have kept James than him and am disappointed we didn't sell him after his fluke season when his value was highest.
At over £200k/week, it would have been tough to shift him when he was still recuperating from his injury.

lex talionis

Appalling, again. Whatever the underlying psychological problems are he’s dealing with it’s best for everyone involved that we find another club for him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Appalling, again. Whatever the underlying psychological problems are he’s dealing with it’s best for everyone involved that we find another club for him.
He will be shifted into the ''untrustworthy'' bucket in the coaching team's eyes. But if they don't play him how will he get out of this funk or/and if we are trying to sell him?

ti vu

Like for like there is no alternative, tactical wise, there should be. You don't need to have a no 9 that offering nothing like this. Get McTominay on (sub Martial off instead of Lingard). Use him to occupying West Ham CBs, to create a bit more space for our other attackers should be better than letting their CBs free to reinforce other zones, and bossing their box. It would also allow us to get Greenwood into more central position with Lingard is a better team player that wouldn't refuse to play on the wing.

CG1010

He has no stomach for a fight, either in a match or generally to fight for his position in the team. Feels like he has given up and doesn't think it will happen for him again. He should consider going on a loan atleast and potentially get himself rejuvenated like Lingard.

SAFMUTD

With some players you can tell they’re in such a dark place that I stop being angry about their form and just feel pity. Martial is not choosing to play this badly, he’s obviously on the floor with his confidence and can’t work out what to do. No doubt also realising that his time at the club is up.
Lack of confidence stops players from trying risky things, but has nothing to do with running your socks off. Its understandable that a player plays badly, not acceptable but understandable, but being lazy on the pitch its unnaceptable for any football player, specially for a Manchester United player.

I really have lost all hope on him, he seems an extremely mentally weak player, its always something with him either its Zlatan taking his number, Lukaku taking his place or whatever but he neve reacts with hunger or trying to prove his doubters wrong. Its as if he feels to good to be on the bench and he's somehow allowed to just float around the pitch. Terrible attitude, terrible work rate, and on top of that terrible form. Just get rid, been here to many years to actually think he'll suddenly become a different player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A lot of people say that Martial is lazy. That couldn't be any further from the truth. He covers a lot of ground every time he's on the pitch. For me, his problem isn't his fitness, but rather his inability to see space. He prefers to show for the ball and receive ball to feet. He doesn't see space. He makes runs but they are reactionary. He rarely anticipates where the ball will be. We got to the byline countless times today and almost every time Tony was standing still. He doesn't see the angle and find that space that the ball is going to be played into. If he did, he's score 30 goals per year. But his movement isn't good and even though Ronaldo and Cavani are in the twilight of their careers, by the time they do retire Greenwood will be ready to be our every day #9. Sorry Tony, but that doesn't leave much for you. Can't say he hasn't been given a chance though...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A lot of people say that Martial is lazy. That couldn't be any further from the truth. He covers a lot of ground every time he's on the pitch. For me, his problem isn't his fitness, but rather his inability to see space. He prefers to show for the ball and receive ball to feet.
Exactly. It's why I always see him as a wide player than a CF. He's not a top CF and especially not suited to play a single CF role. What's he's really good at is to receive the ball and dribbles through players in tight spaces. He also needs someone to do linkup with, again in tight spaces. But that requires the team to adjust to him than the other way around. It also becomes problematic when the opponents park the bus, we have no presence up top with him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd like to see his minutes are given to Elanga. The later put in a good game at the end of last season.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Exactly. It's why I always see him as a wide player than a CF. He's not a top CF and especially not suited to play a single CF role. What's he's really good at is to receive the ball and dribbles through players in tight spaces. He also needs someone to do linkup with, again in tight spaces. But that requires the team to adjust to him than the other way around. It also becomes problematic when the opponents park the bus, we have no presence up top with him.
Maybe a bit similar to Sancho then, but with poorer vision and more pace. Both system players that are unsurprisingly struggling in our setup. Martial did have a great run at CF for a while though, so there’s probably something else up with him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A lot of people say that Martial is lazy. That couldn't be any further from the truth. He covers a lot of ground every time he's on the pitch. For me, his problem isn't his fitness, but rather his inability to see space. He prefers to show for the ball and receive ball to feet. He doesn't see space. He makes runs but they are reactionary. He rarely anticipates where the ball will be. We got to the byline countless times today and almost every time Tony was standing still. He doesn't see the angle and find that space that the ball is going to be played into. If he did, he's score 30 goals per year. But his movement isn't good and even though Ronaldo and Cavani are in the twilight of their careers, by the time they do retire Greenwood will be ready to be our every day #9. Sorry Tony, but that doesn't leave much for you. Can't say he hasn't been given a chance though...
For me that's not even the biggest issue. Martial prior to last season, for whatever misgivings he had, was always a quality player. Whether some people/Mourinho/LVG/Ole liked or disliked him, whether his movement or intensity was on or off point, despite any shortfalls he always gave us a certain technical class, link up play and ice cool finishing. Hence his numbers and link up play were usually very good. The problem is that, forget building on that and fulfilling his potentially and turning into one of the best, he's completely fallen apart. Martial of pre 20/21 would be huge plus to us right now. But he's a shadow of his former self now. And time has nearly run out. Big clubs cannot endlessly wait and he's not 22 anymore.

crossy1686

career ending
You simply cannot be a passenger on his wage. Pretty sure we would have sold him in the summer if we could have found a buyer for him. Didn’t Lyon come in for him?

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
For me that's not even the biggest issue. Martial prior to last season, for whatever misgivings he had, was always a quality player. Whether some people/Mourinho/LVG/Ole liked or disliked him, whether his movement or intensity was on or off point, despite any shortfalls he always gave us a certain technical class, link up play and ice cool finishing. Hence his numbers and link up play were usually very good. The problem is that, forget building on that and fulfilling his potentially and turning into one of the best, he's completely fallen apart. Martial of pre 20/21 would be huge plus to us right now. But he's a shadow of his former self now. And time has nearly run out. Big clubs cannot endlessly wait and he's not 22 anymore.
I don’t think he ever was quite as good as people said he was though. He certainly looks impressive because of his silky feet, but I don’t think he really developed as a player since his first season with us. You could blame the quality of coaching he received, the tactics he had to play under etc. I don’t think he ever looked as versatile as, say, Rashford, although he looked to have the higher ceiling because of his close control and finishing. It seemed like something had finally clicked during that great run he had at CF, but it’s looking like nothing more than a purple patch.(Rashford also had great runs for us at CF, scoring against the likes of City and Conte’s Chelsea from there, and no one believes they were anything other than periods of good form.)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t think he ever was quite as good as people said he was though. He certainly looks impressive because of his silky feet, but I don’t think he really developed as a player since his first season with us. You could blame the quality of coaching he received, the tactics he had to play under etc. I don’t think he ever looked as versatile as, say, Rashford, although he looked to have the higher ceiling because of his close control and finishing. It seemed like something had finally clicked during that great run he had at CF, but it’s looking like nothing more than a purple patch.(Rashford also had great runs for us at CF, scoring against the likes of City and Conte’s Chelsea from there, and no one believes they were anything other than periods of good form.)
I'd agree that he never truly developed but always felt he was a player that had that bit of extra technical class - he used to A) make fullbacks look silly on the wing and B) his link up play in tight areas at times was excellent, in an era when we lacked that (Pogba aside). And his finishing accuracy was at times I believe the best in the league. So I do think he was always a good player with the promise of being great one day. Sadly now he has not only failed on those qualities shown, but fallen into the heap of mediocrity having lost even that.

Status
Not open for further replies.