Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't just blame Martial. Any manager worth his salt would be warning him from the touchline. "You give up on another ball and YOU ARE OFF". Ole sits there, arms crossed talking to mister no-expression Carrick. What is going on at Utd? You can't just buy the best players and FM it to glory.
Likewise it's not FM, where you can select player and click on "Show some passion" touchline instruction.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
You need a big personality to be the main man in the EPL, maybe a big ego too. If the crowd's cheer does not motivate you to score then nothing will. Player's like Ronaldo love to be adored. Martial just doesn't want it. He is as talented a player as I have seen but he just doesn't want the glory.

Last edited:

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Looking back on the posts from just over a year ago is just CRAZY. This isn't to shame anyone, more so to see how really excited we was and how much he has let many of us down. The flip reversal is astonishing. the difference 12 months makes. What people were saying then to now just shows how football can change so quickly. Reading it makes me giggle simply because of what people are saying now. Anto man..........
I called out Martial a few years ago because he always frustrated me, nice dribbler and scorer of great goals, but always lacked the intelligence to be a good striker or wide forward. Just look at my perma tagline inserted by one of the mods in an attempt to shame me for having an opinion. It's a funny old world.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'd be great in Ligue 1.

When Lyon move Dembele on for a tidy profit they should bring back Martial with those profits. He'll score enough in that league to look like a great buy.

roonster09

Scout
It is not even about passion. In my opinion active touchline involvement helps managers get a feel for the game. It helps them make tactical decisions. Lots of you on here think it is a myth that a touchline manager affects a game. I just don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. It might not have a huge impact but in professional sport even the slightest advantage can change the outcome.
Ofcourse it helps, doesn't mean all of a sudden it makes Martial to make the runs all the time, work harder. Players should be responsible for their performances.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Ofcourse it helps, doesn't mean all of a sudden it makes Martial to make the runs all the time, work harder. Players should be responsible for their performances.
Yes. I am sorry. I did not like my reply to you so I have changed it. I didn't get you're meaning on the first read through.

Is is sad when a great talent is stifled. Martial reminds me of Brazil's Ronaldo a little and it is a pity we have never seen him in full flight.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I called out Martial a few years ago because he always frustrated me, nice dribbler and scorer of great goals, but always lacked the intelligence to be a good striker or wide forward. Just look at my perma tagline inserted by one of the mods in an attempt to shame me for having an opinion. It's a funny old world.
Well did you actually say he was championship material at best?:p

The United Irishman

Well did you actually say he was championship material at best?:p
I did indeed, bit of an over-exaggeration I admit, but he has always frustrated the hell out of me. A lot of the forum (Martial FC) rounded on me that night, but reading through this thread some posters have already stated they believe he wouldn't get into any premier league side at the moment.

Dante

Average bang
He had his best form during the season that Greenwood first emerged. I think Martial was up for that particular battle because it was against an upstart teenager and he thought he could still come out on top. The two of them geed each other up to score the most goals post-lockdown.

AM's second best season was his debut when there was nobody else performing in the team.

However, every time he's had to compete against a bigger name, he's let his head drop and given up without a fight.

The issue seems to be mental. He's only happy when he knows he's the best before a ball has been kicked. He's either the number 1 forward in the squad or the worst. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground where he's confident despite being 2nd or 3rd best. At a club like United, that's never going to work.

Siezard

Martial needs to stay because CR7 and Cavani will be leaving in a few years time. United needs more full fledged strikers who can last the full 90 minutes.

The United Irishman

Yes. I am sorry. I did not like my reply to you so I have changed it. I didn't get you're meaning on the first read through.

Is is sad when a great talent is stifled. Martial reminds me of Brazil's Ronaldo a little and it is a pity we have never seen him in full flight.
In what way??

roonster09

Scout

Lets be real and honest here, Martial is not stifled, he has got plenty of chances for 5 years. It's also upto players to take up the opportunities.

He had good seasons but after the season like last one, we can't afford one more poor season from Martial.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Martial needs to stay because CR7 and Cavani will be leaving in a few years time. United needs more full fledged strikers who can last the full 90 minutes.
Martial should stay if he can make something happen on the pitch, which he clearly doesn’t.

Pity because he was so enjoyable to watch when he played good football but it seems he forgot how to dribble or take a decent touch

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I did indeed, bit of an over-exaggeration I admit, but he has always frustrated the hell out of me. A lot of the forum (Martial FC) rounded on me that night, but reading through this thread some posters have already stated they believe he wouldn't get into any premier league side at the moment.
I’ve never rated him as highly as many others did either. Very talented with good close control and silky dribbling, but the adulation he received for a time was insane compared to what he had actually done as a player. Even during his hot streak post lockdown I wouldn’t say he was playing like one of the best strikers in the world like some were claiming, though I did hope that something had finally clicked for him. His current downfall is surprising nonetheless.

DomM

it's almost like he never learnt that strikers need movement, he's like a stone compared to Ronaldo, Cavani or Greenwood.

RedDevilQuebecois

This is utterly ridiculous. Have you not seen the entire balance of the last 6 years? He is unwilling to compete directly with someone when the job is on the line, and there is no room for that at any big club.

Raven

To those saying he wasn't making runs the other night, that's only true to an extent, he didn't have the short sharp movements that Ronaldo and Cavani are great at but there were at least 2 times when we were breaking that he was free and in a good position to score but Jesse decided it would be better to run into 2 or 3 West Ham players. I have to say though, I'm really losing hope that he'll ever recapture his form here, it's probably best for everyone if he finds a new club at this stage.

Stacks

It also makes you think we maybe shouldn't be so quick to write him off. Yes he was bad last year, but injuries also took a toll and I think have probably had a knock-on effect on his confidence going into this year. The big issue I suppose is that he just might not get many more opportunities.
the problem is that he plays for Man Utd. If he played for Fulham or Blackburn he will be afforded the time to "get his heads straight" or have seasons scoring 5 league games and its no big deal but its demanding at Utd.

jem

the problem is that he plays for Man Utd. If he played for Fulham or Blackburn he will be afforded the time to "get his heads straight" or have seasons scoring 5 league games and its no big deal but its demanding at Utd.
True enough. I just think last year was his first really disappointing season, and you could argue he deserves a chance to bounce back (like Lingard has been given.) That being said, I’m not sure I’d back him to make the most of it.

tjb

Amazing how many players we have turned to shite in this club. There certainly not many have improved.
Terrible comment. He came in as a teenager off the back of not really achieving much. Came into probably the worst team United has had since the 80s, a team worse than the current iteration of Arsenal. Had one decent season in his first year, where in truth we needed to replace him as a 9 because he wasn't really cutting it. Mourinho came and throughout that period, he was horrible for the most part. Rashford kept improving, Martial stayed the same. I don't think 19/20 was nearly as good as. people were making it, Rashford was the star of that team and that was another weak team that we had. The only time in his stay with us that I thought Martial was anything more than average was the backend of the 19/20 season during project restart. Particularly in the europa league games that August.

Martial is a cautionary tale on how people percieve certain skills. I don't think he's as lazy as people say. I just don't think he's a sharp player. I don't think his touches on the ball are actually that good, I think his dribbling is very one sided, he can't even play on the right flank, he's not great at showing for the ball or holding it up, he doesn't press, he doesn't make runs off the ball at all which could mean he can't even read it, he doesn't have a wide range of skills that can open up the spaces for him and if he's not on his right foot cutting in he actually isn't a good finisher. However due to his ability to dribble into tight spaces occasionally, some mistook him for a potentially world class talent. I think he is what Januzaj would have become if he had stayed. Some would blame the club for not using him correctly or improving him, but in truth, he may never have had it.

lex talionis

Responding to the point above, I actually do believe Martial has the ability to be a brilliant footballer, but it is his mentality that holds him back. Laziness may be slightly harsh a word, but it’s not far off in describing the problem. Martial doesn’t cope well with adversity and easily withdraws from a game if it’s not going well for him.

Let’s wish him well, but let’s sell him January.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I always thought we’d have been better playing Greenwood up front, Sancho on right and Tony on the left. Greenwood would have been more deadly in the box and wouldve made more runs, moving the central defenders, allowing Tony to waltz in and shoot. Tony is more static than Tony Soprano. Really don’t get why he hasn’t ever tried to change that, especially when he sees Ronaldo scoring by doing exactly what he doesn’t do.
:lol: At least Soprano takes matters into his own hands, when he's angered. Our Tony is just cold shell of a player we used to admire.

The worst irony in current state is, we can't even use him as an impact sub as it would require some effort and explosiveness in decisive moments... our manager was exactly like that in his footballer days, but even with his decent man management so far he can't motivate him to do basic stuff whatsoever.

Martial on the left with Mason as main sting would require fluid movement in transitions, it's another thing in which Tony could just not give a crap. Perhaps this is exactly why Ole insisted on Lingard staying ? Jesse with new contract, Elanga being tested further as left attacker and Martial subtly losing his place and naturally changing club in the summer. In his mind he looks like he's not even here, but still Ole seems to think chances should be given...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He can't be the long term #9 here. If you're to lead the line at Utd or any top club, you need to know when and where to make the runs.

Martial in his 5 years has not improved even a bit on this aspect. He's unable to get on the end of crosses (apart from the goal vs Chelsea, can't recall any single such goal), and the only times he manages to find himself 1v1 vs the GK is when he's dribbled past the defender (which hasn't been happening often for the past 2 years) and when he's involved in some 1-2s (goal vs SHU comes to mind, and I think there have been a few more from 1-2s with Marcus/Mata).

And it's not as if the service has been poor. Just last season, cavani scored quite a few off crosses, Ronaldo has had those tap-ins served to him from the same set of players. If we're being honest, Martial should be let go as early as January, and for long term successor - either mold Mason into one or buy someone

Marwood

it's almost like he never learnt that strikers need movement, he's like a stone compared to Ronaldo, Cavani or Greenwood.
I think he knows, he must. Even an amateur striker knows you have to move. He just doesn't want to play football that way. It's a shame because whatever he thinks is the way the game should be played is going to end his United career.

HailtotheKing

:lol: At least Soprano takes matters into his own hands, when he's angered. Our Tony is just cold shell of a player we used to admire.

The worst irony in current state is, we can't even use him as an impact sub as it would require some effort and explosiveness in decisive moments... our manager was exactly like that in his footballer days, but even with his decent man management so far he can't motivate him to do basic stuff whatsoever.

Martial on the left with Mason as main sting would require fluid movement in transitions, it's another thing in which Tony could just not give a crap. Perhaps this is exactly why Ole insisted on Lingard staying ? Jesse with new contract, Elanga being tested further as left attacker and Martial subtly losing his place and naturally changing club in the summer. In his mind he looks like he's not even here, but still Ole seems to think chances should be given...
I think the problem with Tony is he's bulked up to be a striker and now he doesn't have the same agility to play on left. So he's kinda screwed basically. Although, he did play pretty well for France. I hope it's not another one of the Incredible Sulks because now Ronaldo has arrived he realizes he has no chance of playing in his favored position. The thing that gets me is Ronaldo shows him everything he lacks. He shows the value of getting in the box and making that move toward goal, that Tony very rarely does. You'd have thought he'd have watched that and thought, that's the way I need to play. But sadly not.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think the problem with Tony is he's bulked up to be a striker and now he doesn't have the same agility to play on left. So he's kinda screwed basically. Although, he did play pretty well for France. I hope it's not another one of the Incredible Sulks because now Ronaldo has arrived he realizes he has no chance of playing in his favored position. The thing that gets me is Ronaldo shows him everything he lacks. He shows the value of getting in the box and making that move toward goal, that Tony very rarely does. You'd have thought he'd have watched that and thought, that's the way I need to play. But sadly not.
You're right, he's screwed and he's also screwed because there are so many exciting players in the attacking lineup, he probably feels like just one of many individualities to choose from. in Van Gaal's setup he was the brightest talent of all and he looks to this day like he needs constant guidance which LvG could offer in smallest details.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if I was Martial I would be extremely lucky by playing with Zlatan & Ronaldo. Looks like he also didn't took his chance in learning from the best and mental block is just preventing him from any further development.

Ole's patience is a rare thing, but at this point I reckon entire coaching stuff can't convince Martial to believe in himself. Change of clubs helped many times in the past, it should be viewed as positive option to consider, even with time given for Tony to play more this season, which I'm sure gonna happen.

Random7777

I think with Ronaldo joining people are starting to realize how disgustingly useless martial's "movement" is

Litch

Terrible comment. He came in as a teenager off the back of not really achieving much. Came into probably the worst team United has had since the 80s, a team worse than the current iteration of Arsenal. Had one decent season in his first year, where in truth we needed to replace him as a 9 because he wasn't really cutting it. Mourinho came and throughout that period, he was horrible for the most part. Rashford kept improving, Martial stayed the same. I don't think 19/20 was nearly as good as. people were making it, Rashford was the star of that team and that was another weak team that we had. The only time in his stay with us that I thought Martial was anything more than average was the backend of the 19/20 season during project restart. Particularly in the europa league games that August.

Martial is a cautionary tale on how people percieve certain skills. I don't think he's as lazy as people say. I just don't think he's a sharp player. I don't think his touches on the ball are actually that good, I think his dribbling is very one sided, he can't even play on the right flank, he's not great at showing for the ball or holding it up, he doesn't press, he doesn't make runs off the ball at all which could mean he can't even read it, he doesn't have a wide range of skills that can open up the spaces for him and if he's not on his right foot cutting in he actually isn't a good finisher. However due to his ability to dribble into tight spaces occasionally, some mistook him for a potentially world class talent. I think he is what Januzaj would have become if he had stayed. Some would blame the club for not using him correctly or improving him, but in truth, he may never have had it.
I appreciate it's all about opinions but honestly what informs your forensic assessment of Martial in order to say my comment is terrible? Your view is no more validated than mine with one difference. Martial doesn't play for France who have loads of top forwards based on your assessment. That is a fact unless you think from behind your keyboard you are better informed that the France manager?

Siezard

I appreciate it's all about opinions but honestly what informs your forensic assessment of Martial in order to say my comment is terrible? Your view is no more validated than mine with one difference. Martial doesn't play for France who have loads of top forwards based on your assessment. That is a fact unless you think from behind your keyboard you are better informed that the France manager?
France would have beaten England in Euro 2020 if Martial was playing.

Redcy

you can’t really use international managers picking players as a sign of anything, given what we have seen. Genuinely I don’t know what other choices he has up top, Mbappe, Griezmann and who else did they have available. He certainly wasn’t picked on form or reputation. People made a lot of those two performances, and I thought he was at best average

Litch

you can’t really use international managers picking players as a sign of anything, given what we have seen. Genuinely I don’t know what other choices he has up top, Mbappe, Griezmann and who else did they have available. He certainly wasn’t picked on form or reputation. People made a lot of those two performances, and I thought he was at best average
What? I give up.....

snk123

Toxic thread. 10 pages of the same shite after every average performance.

Stacks

Toxic thread. 10 pages of the same shite after every average performance.
But what are the comments supposed to be when hes dropping clangers? 10 pages of encouragement? false belief? It's the performance thread of a striker who has one goal in 25 games or something. Its not the "lie to yourself so Martial FC feel good about themselves" thread

United in sin

Dion Dublin on 5 live says it's the worst #9 performance in the past 30 years from an English club.

Ooph
Ronaldo's performance today puts a lot in perspective. It wasn't much different. Perhaps it's the coaching. Not saying Martial hasn't been poor. He did link well with Sancho on a few occasions against West Ham and created a few chances. Ronaldo was completely starved against Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.