Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's always been like that, a very strange player in that he's weirdly well-rounded. Has always had the ability to cut in from the left and shoot, play with his back to goal, drop deep and link-up. The one thing he has never been though is a penalty-box predator, which makes me think he would always have been best suited to playing as a Second Striker in a front-two. Alternatively, we could have used him more like an outright False 9 and played Greenwood and Rashford narrower (Like Firmino dropping off, with Salah and Mané in between), although playing a False 9 is not to everybody's tastes.
That's my take, you accept his flaws and work around them particularly when we have players that likes to do the things Martial doesn't do which is essentially to shoot often and run into the box.

Andersons Dietician

He's always been like that, a very strange player in that he's weirdly well-rounded. Has always had the ability to cut in from the left and shoot, play with his back to goal, drop deep and link-up. The one thing he has never been though is a penalty-box predator, which makes me think he would always have been best suited to playing as a Second Striker in a front-two. Alternatively, we could have used him more like an outright False 9 and played Greenwood and Rashford narrower (Like Firmino dropping off, with Salah and Mané in between), although playing a False 9 is not to everybody's tastes.
Generally on the brief occasions he and Lukaku played as a two I think he produced some of his best stuff.
For me however at this point you’ve got to think people like Sancho and Donny were brought in with Martial in mind given that he does like to drop off and link play.

Hes not predatory but I think if you had people around him that will link up, pass and move to give him more time to work his way in to the box he’d I’d hope score more goals as he seems to prefer tight little 1-2’s and such and short bursts in and around the box.

The first goal today was I part to him coming inside and being able to take stock of what was happening around him. Not rush or panic and just give things time to evolve before finding the pass he needed to.

I said this last season but I’d quite like to see what Amad, Martial Sancho would produce with Donny and Bruno behind them. All 5 have shown they can score, Donny and Bruno are willing to go beyond the striker Martial, Sancho and Amad have shown they are more about the team than individual glory and can pass the ball in these tight situations. I think it would have been worth experimentation in the carling cup if we still had that option.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
That's my take, you accept his flaws and work around them particularly when we have players that likes to do the things Martial doesn't do which is essentially to shoot often and run into the box.
Yeah, agree on that, I don't see any reason why every team has to play with an out-and-out #9, managers should be of sufficient tactical capability to adapt to the players around them

Rawls

Generally on the brief occasions he and Lukaku played as a two I think he produced some of his best stuff.
For me however at this point you’ve got to think people like Sancho and Donny were brought in with Martial in mind given that he does like to drop off and link play.

Hes not predatory but I think if you had people around him that will link up, pass and move to give him more time to work his way in to the box he’d I’d hope score more goals as he seems to prefer tight little 1-2’s and such and short bursts in and around the box.

The first goal today was I part to him coming inside and being able to take stock of what was happening around him. Not rush or panic and just give things time to evolve before finding the pass he needed to.

I said this last season but I’d quite like to see what Amad, Martial Sancho would produce with Donny and Bruno behind them. All 5 have shown they can score, Donny and Bruno are willing to go beyond the striker Martial, Sancho and Amad have shown they are more about the team than individual glory and can pass the ball in these tight situations. I think it would have been worth experimentation in the carling cup if we still had that option.
I agree with you that that would have been a better approach but there's a part of me that thinks the horse has already bolted and moving on would be best for both parties. Martial has always been very talented but he always seems very difficult to motivate, which explains his inconsistency. You can get a season like '19/'20 where he performs very well throughout the season, especially Post-Lockdown; however, you also then get his performances in '20/'21 which were nigh-on unexplainable.

I personally think that in an ideal world with a quality manager, he would be very useful as a second choice striker, playing maybe 50% of all minutes. I don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be a starter week-in, week-out but would always be handy to have a player of his ability on the bench. Contrast this with Solskjaer who speaks of having great depth in his squad but rarely decides to lean heavily on it, instead giving heavy minutes to Ronaldo, Bruno etc. And worse still, when he does use his depth, he usually exposes them in a difficult situation, with little chance to break into the team.

Back to Martial though, he probably needs someone like ten Hag to come in as manager, as only a manager like him would be capable of deploying him effectively. That's not to say he will go back to his '19/'20 form, he still will likely remain almost impossible to consistently motivate, but he should still be able to make a meaningful contribution to the team.

acnumber9

Exactly this, but no one will clock on to this.

Every time Martial started going central we looked better as a team. When he moved back to the left - everything turned back to how it was.
What was there to clock? The only memorable thing he did was give the ball away for their third goal.

Andersons Dietician

I agree with you that that would have been a better approach but there's a part of me that thinks the horse has already bolted and moving on would be best for both parties. Martial has always been very talented but he always seems very difficult to motivate, which explains his inconsistency. You can get a season like '19/'20 where he performs very well throughout the season, especially Post-Lockdown; however, you also then get his performances in '20/'21 which were nigh-on unexplainable.

I personally think that in an ideal world with a quality manager, he would be very useful as a second choice striker, playing maybe 50% of all minutes. I don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be a starter week-in, week-out but would always be handy to have a player of his ability on the bench. Contrast this with Solskjaer who speaks of having great depth in his squad but rarely decides to lean heavily on it, instead giving heavy minutes to Ronaldo, Bruno etc. And worse still, when he does use his depth, he usually exposes them in a difficult situation, with little chance to break into the team.

Back to Martial though, he probably needs someone like ten Hag to come in as manager, as only a manager like him would be capable of deploying him effectively. That's not to say he will go back to his '19/'20 form, he still will likely remain almost impossible to consistently motivate, but he should still be able to make a meaningful contribution to the team.
Yeah generally I’m of a similar opinion. I do think that stylistically we’ve never played in a manner that would get the best out of him but for him and us I feel it’s probably best to part ways. He just hasn’t stepped up to the levels needed on a consistent basis which is quite frustrating as there is a player there.

My only hang up with moving him on is I’m pretty sure Cavani leaves at the end of the season, and until recently I would have bet my house on us getting Haaland this coming summer. However, with Ronaldo possibly being our only number 9 next season it seems a risk to move him on without a replacement.

Rawls

My only hang up with moving him on is I’m pretty sure Cavani leaves at the end of the season, and until recently I would have bet my house on us getting Haaland this coming summer. However, with Ronaldo possibly being our only number 9 next season it seems a risk to move him on without a replacement.
This is a fair point but it's hardly a surprise that the Glazers and Woodward have absolutely zero foresight when it comes to the medium-term to long-term future of the playing squad.

Kramer

Exactly.

Have been a big Martial fan first few years he was here but the time has come to get rid.

Made me cringe - watching him jog around being brought on at HT. The difference between the urgency levels that VDB brought (who has been shunned by Ole for so along) and him were so tangible.

Talent isn’t everything. He does not have the drive / work ethic to be part of a Man United squad.

OneUnited24

He wasn't great today but I maintain he is one of many players we have that are system players. When you get him support he thrives when you dont you get ... well today. I actually thought he was ok when he played in the middle. After the sending off he was shunted to the left and looked meh

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What was there to clock? The only memorable thing he did was give the ball away for their third goal.
Which was on the left side of the wing.

When he was central he was holding the ball up and making passes - you know, like what we had last year in the centre of the pitch with Cavani and Martial even if they are not good goalscorers.

acnumber9

Which was on the left side of the wing.

When he was central he was holding the ball up and making passes - you know, like what we had last year in the centre of the pitch with Cavani and Martial even if they are not good goalscorers.
He made a grand total of 8 passes in the game. You know, like a third of what Ronaldo did.

eire-red

Need to try and sell in January and reinvest the money into areas of the squad that need it.

United in sin

I think Martial will reap the most benefits of new management in a progressive setup. We have seen glimpses of his linkup with Sancho and DVB this season. I can only wonder what plans Pochettino has for him. He's certainly going to get another chance, it's up to him to grab it and finally push on

Partridge

This guy really does need to be sold. One and half good seasons, nothing since. Periodic moments of good football interweaved with his stroppyness, and what always looks like lazyness on the pitch. Sell him for 35 million. Waste of wages, and time. I am looking forward to his exit at the club. Sooner the better.

Raven

I think Martial will reap the most benefits of new management in a progressive setup. We have seen glimpses of his linkup with Sancho and DVB this season. I can only wonder what plans Pochettino has for him. He's certainly going to get another chance, it's up to him to grab it and finally push on
As far as I'm aware, Poch used to be an admirer of his, if Poch does come in, it'll be interesting to see can he get a tune out of him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Dont think he was awful, but he is just a very grey player nowadays. Not exciting when he comes on. Should be sold, and his place should go to the likes of Elanga/Diallo.

Cloud7

Martial at CF dropping deep and linking the play, with Ronaldo on the left drifting central like he did at Madrid, could work out really well, especially if we get players like Sancho and VDB in the team as well, and if Bruno finds some form.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Dont think he was awful, but he is just a very grey player nowadays. Not exciting when he comes on. Should be sold, and his place should go to the likes of Elanga/Diallo.
This. Promote of one of those two and send the other on loan so both get meaningful game time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How incredibly dramatic. :lol:
Just out of interest because you are quite a Martial fan - did you see at all how we played better when he was in the centre of the pitch or do you think we were better when he was on the left?

Raven

Just out of interest because you are quite a Martial fan - did you see at all how we played better when he was in the centre of the pitch or do you think we were better when he was on the left?
I think he's much better in the centre generally. He's the only player we have that can hold the ball up properly and I felt he showed that for our goal. If he could get over his shitty form I think he'd be part of our best attack.

Oranges038

3 managers later and somehow some people still think that a change of system will get him going.

He needs to be sold, no point in having players like him on big money blocking young players from getting a chance.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Martial had one good season in 19/20, but went down the "trash" route immediately the next season after being spoon fed more chances than Pereira and Lingard. He hasnt done anything to warrant inclusion in the starting XI for some time

lex talionis

It’s the poor attitude that pisses me off. He has the ability to perform at a world class level but he just doesn’t give a shit.

NotQuiteManc

Was always in the Martial FC, but suffice to say, he really disappointed me especially after he was given plenty of chances (more than anyone e.g. VdB). He had the potential, but just didn't have that desire to thrive at a big club with big ambitions.

GMoore23

Jose was right about him all along. Guy has no desire whatsoever and will only regress even further as he gets older.
What a waste of talent.

KennyBurner

Might have done more with bruno in the side over VDB. With more gametime and confidence he will transform our attack alongside ronaldo and sancho. He did well with the little he had all game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He needs to leave for his own good. He's had his moments here, but he's stuck in a rut that won't change until he leaves IMO.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He’s done.

I really cannot understand why we have him and Lingard on the wage bill when our midfield is so lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.