Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

yamo123x

I believe Ralf.

Can you imagine the incredible Sulk sitting on the bench in the cold, nah he'd rather be jet skiing somewhere.

His statement is simply PR to show prospective buyers he is not unprofessional or toxic.
GET RID

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's even simpler looking at the wording. He didn't refuse to play. He refused, or declined, to be part of the match day squad.

So he's technically correct, and ralf is also telling the truth.

Robertd0803

Martial is a golden ball winner as a youngster, he’s an unbelievable talent and we haven’t done anywhere near enough as a club to nurture the talent at this club.
Was a Golden Ball winner as a youngster but thats a long time ago now in football. Plenty of players sadly dont live up to early potential for a variety of reasons.

And yeah we possibly/probably could have done more but I dont think theres much argument that Martial could have applied himself a hell of a lot more as well.

As for his Instagram Id argue he has been disrespecting the fans for a long time now with lazy ass performances.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Martial is using semantics here I reckon.

E.g. imagine it went down like this

Ralf "There's a space in the squad today Anthony. I know you want to leave, but if you want to be part of the squad today you can be"

Martial "I'd rather not thanks, I might get injured and then be unable to leave"

That's not refusing to be part of the squad, that's turning down the chance to be part of the squad.

Also, Ralf didn't use the word refuse did he? Or am I misremembering.
Most likely scenario based on what's been public. If that's the case, I think it's grounds enough to fine Martial

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yeah not buying his tweet.

There is virtually no incentive for RR/the club to come out with what they did if it wasn't.

the_cliff

I'm siding with Martial on this one. I'm not a huge fan and think it's better we part ways. But I'm finding it very doubtful that he'd refuse to be in the squad, especially now he's angling for a move and has the world cup coming up.

Also, it was public knowledge he and Mourinho did not get along, yet, he was always on the bench and nothing of this sort came out at that time.

He's been benched by Mourinho, benched by Ole I don't think he's going to suddenly start refusing to be benched under Ralf.

Deery

Dreary
Managers have been known to lie tbh. Not saying Rangnick did just that but just that that comes out of their mouth isn't the absolute truth
It’s a pretty bare face lie if true and I for one don’t particularly like liars doesn’t set a good tone.

Ixion

I imagine its along the lines of Martial said a couple of weeks ago he doesn't want to play and would like to move this window and Rangnick has kept him to that and not picked him since. Martial can then say he was never specifically asked about the Villa game or squad and didn't refuse it and Rangnick is just sticking with what Martial originally said.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm siding with Martial on this one. I'm not a huge fan and think it's better we part ways. But I'm finding it very doubtful that he'd refuse to be in the squad, especially now he's angling for a move and has the world cup coming up.

Also, it was public knowledge he and Mourinho did not get along, yet, he was always on the bench and nothing of this sort came out at that time.

He's been benched by Mourinho, benched by Ole I don't think he's going to suddenly start refusing to be benched under Ralf.
It's just word play as I said above.

He didn't refuse to play.... correct, he wasn't being asked to play. He was being asked to make up the numbers in the match day squad and said no.

In this example neither person is lying. It's politics and semantics.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If they don't fine Martial then it can also mean Rangnick lied and they have no basis to fine him on
Dont think United will fine him. This will just prolong this controversy and they are anyway looking to offload him. Come February, if he is still here and refuse it again, i expect him to be fined.

Pronewbie

Peep
It's just word play as I said above.

He didn't refuse to play.... correct, he wasn't being asked to play. He was being asked to make up the numbers in the match day squad and said no.

In this example neither person is lying. It's politics and semantics.
Devious and not truthful. That’s more dangerous and needs to be gotten rid of.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yeah not buying his tweet.

There is virtually no incentive for RR/the club to come out with what they did if it wasn't.
If we’re trying to force him to accept lower wages/a move to a club willing to match our demands he doesn’t want to go to then there is an incentive. Other players have told RR they want to leave yet have remained in the squad - Martial hasn’t been involved. Not picking sides - I’d imagine neither are lying - but I don’t think publicly throwing players under the bus is a great idea - you end up with media shitshows such as this.

CloneMC16

I don't know what Rangnick has to gain by lying about this. If Martial was asked to be on the bench, and refused, that is still bad. He is paid to do this. Either to start or sit on the bench and wait to be potentially called on. Martial refusing meant we had no striker on the bench.

I think this is one instance where Ole would have covered for him and said he had a knock. Martial probably thought Rangnick would do that and he didn't. More drama. Not good for the club.

Pronewbie

Peep
I don't know what Rangnick has to gain by lying about this. If Martial was asked to be on the bench, and refused, that is still bad. He is paid to do this. Either to start or sit on the bench and wait to be potentially called on. Martial refusing meant we had no striker on the bench.

I think this is one instance where Ole would have covered for him and said he had a knock. Martial probably thought Rangnick would do that and he didn't. More drama. Not good for the club.
IMO Rangnick’s trying to change the culture at the club. He’s demanding more accountability and professionalism from the players. Under Ole, the players could count on him to hide their transgressions. It’s a different management style they’ll have to adapt to, if ever.

wolvored

I imagine its along the lines of Martial said a couple of weeks ago he doesn't want to play and would like to move this window and Rangnick has kept him to that and not picked him since. Martial can then say he was never specifically asked about the Villa game or squad and didn't refuse it and Rangnick is just sticking with what Martial originally said.
Yes this is probably the most likely scenario. Martial would be informed by someone (as I couldnt see him watching RR interviews) what RR had said, and not wanting a backlash came out with his statement. The only thing the club could have said was if you dont want to play when fit, then you dont get paid. Mind you they probably play the Im not in the right frame of mind, im mentally not at it.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
Hello, Frank from New York here, this is my first post (please go easy on me!)

In today's papers, Anthony is claiming - 'I will never refuse to play a match for Man United. I've been here for 7 years and I never disrespected and will never disrespect the club and the fans.' (from his instagram)

I find these words of a weazel, Ralf said - 'He didn't want to be in the squad. He would have been in the squad normally, but he didn't want to. That is the reason why he was not traveling with us yesterday (on Friday).' (Daily Mail)

So it's clear, Ralf wanted him in the squad (most likely on the bench), but obviously this wasn't good enough, allowing Anthony to disingenuously make his claim.

Martial obviously refused to travel because he wasn't promised a start.

Enough with these craven mercenaries (already).

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If we’re trying to force him to accept lower wages/a move to a club willing to match our demands he doesn’t want to go to then there is an incentive. Other players have told RR they want to leave yet have remained in the squad - Martial hasn’t been involved. Not picking sides - I’d imagine neither are lying - but I don’t think publicly throwing players under the bus is a great idea - you end up with media shitshows such as this.
It's a bad situation in the short run, buts it's a bit like ripping off a plaster. We have been appalling at handing completely insane wages to players who simply don't deserve them. Martial is a perfect example of this. Of course he won't find the wages he's on elsewhere because he doesn't even come close to deserving them. He might be hurt that he'll be getting a paycut but that's largely on him for being terrible for the last 18 months.

We all know the club needs a cultural reset; nowhere is this more relevant than when it comes to our wage structure. I'm sure that this is where a lot of our poor mentality comes from. Players think they've already succeeded before they've won anything here.

crossy1686

career ending

In today's papers, Anthony is claiming - 'I will never refuse to play a match for Man United. I've been here for 7 years and I never disrespected and will never disrespect the club and the fans.' (from his instagram)

I find these words of a weazel, Ralf said - 'He didn't want to be in the squad. He would have been in the squad normally, but he didn't want to. That is the reason why he was not traveling with us yesterday (on Friday).' (Daily Mail)

So it's clear, Ralf wanted him in the squad (most likely on the bench), but obviously this wasn't good enough, allowing Anthony to disingenuously make his claim.

Hey Frank from New York!

Yep, it certainly seems like this is the case, or at least that's what most of us seem to believe is the most likely truth behind the whole mess. Will be interesting to see if Ralf goes into more detail in the pre game press match before our next game as he will absolutely get more questions around this situation now Martial has responded via Instagram.

Satsuma United

If Rangnick is lying, thats a sackable offense right away.

I wanna be fair to Ralf but isnt it a coincidence that we are hearing more and more stories about unrest in trainings ?

I dont trust in his assistants as they are the most unexperienced assistants we ever had, they were in MLS a few months ago, PL is another dimension, other world.

This is bad, really bad and Ralf is doing something that is bothering many players.

Tyrion

Bayern have had players like Coman who aren’t even as talented as Martial and made them work. The difference is that Bayern have a footballing structure that is actually maximising their resources. Martial is a golden ball winner as a youngster, he’s an unbelievable talent and we haven’t done anywhere near enough as a club to nurture the talent at this club.
I just don't think he works hard enough. He's not talented enough to justify carrying him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Nope. But he's shown more than enough for me over the years to know he will get his mojo back.

I prefer Greenwood over Rashford too. I just don't like the flak he's getting. He will be hurting with his performances. He's a red like we all are.
He's been Garbage for years and cost us a trophy as well. He only shined as the main man in oles counter attacking setup with space behind the defense.

He's a selfish player who will soon go down the route of the likes of Danial Sturrige

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just don't think he works hard enough. He's not talented enough to justify carrying him.
But we haven’t had a manager that really asks that. All the managers we have had have indulged that low energy style. If we’d got Klopp in then at least we would know one way or another which players would have made it. Our club structure and management though is rotten.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Martial is using semantics here I reckon.

E.g. imagine it went down like this

Ralf "There's a space in the squad today Anthony. I know you want to leave, but if you want to be part of the squad today you can be"

Martial "I'd rather not thanks, I might get injured and then be unable to leave"

That's not refusing to be part of the squad, that's turning down the chance to be part of the squad.

Also, Ralf didn't use the word refuse did he? Or am I misremembering.
You can't just make up what happened and then assuredly tell us how it is :lol:

Tyrion

But we haven’t had a manager that really asks that. All the managers we have had have indulged that low energy style. If we’d got Klopp in then at least we would know one way or another which players would have made it. Our club structure and management though is rotten.
Its definitely rotten. Moyes and Ole weren't weren't enough. Mourinho was past it. LVG wasn't too bad but was a little outdated. Rangnick will be good at the running of the club and I'd rather he be the DoF.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's been Garbage for years and cost us a trophy as well. He only shined as the main man in oles counter attacking setup with space behind the defense.

He's a selfish player who will soon go down the route of the likes of Danial Sturrige
Garbage? He scored 20 goals last season from the left and got 12 assists.

We will be lucky to get a single player matching that this season.

Hailee

It's quite clear that neither is lying, and Martial certainly won't get fined for this.

Ralf clearly wanted to pick committed players and Martial has made it clear he wants to leave.

That being said, all these players have burnt their bridges now. Just let them all go, why prolong the misery for everyone? Martial, Henderson and Lingard are all done. Take whatever deal you can to get them off the books, you can't tell me there are no takers for them on a free or on loan without a fee. Van de Beek is next, we should let him go on a free before he actually kicks a fuss like the rest. I will be happy to let Pogba and Cavani go now on a free too if they can find takers. What's the Barca situation for Cavani?

Raven

It's really not normal. He can ask for a transfer and do his job as a professional like VDB or many other players are doing.

Anyway what cnut. We'll probably end up paying him to feck off Sanchez style and then @Raven will come out and still tell us how his salary doesn't make it difficult to offload him and he could be a top player for Juve or something.
This must be the 3rd time you've tagged me in this thread, give it a rest.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The “never refuse to play a match” being not the same thing as refusing to sit on the bench angle occurred to me too.

I just see no reason for Rangnick to invent this refusal. Like what is the possible upside? Especially when our bench ended up a man short. Either Martial is being a devious cnut with the way he worded his post or there’s been a horrific breakdown in communication.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Sounds like he was given a choice whether he wanted to be in the squad given that he's in the process of transferring out and he said he'd rather not, and then he was left out.

Then noone was lying, but it's only a big deal because Rangnick decided to tell it to the public in a way that would trigger fans to jump on Martial.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s an incentive to freeze him out of the squad. Not an incentive to lie about why he isn’t in the squad. He could have easily said “Anthony wants to leave the club, so isn’t part of our plans”. Or words to that effect. There is zero upside to accusing Martial of not wanting to play if that’s a fiction.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Whichever way you look at it, there was no need for all of this, keep the dirty laundry at home and Ralf should've just said Martial had a knock. This is just more unnecessary noise on the whole squad disharmony /unrest saga.

UncleBob

The “never refuse to play a match” being not the same thing as refusing to sit on the bench angle occurred to me too.

I just see no reason for Rangnick to invent this refusal. Like what is the possible upside? Especially when our bench ended up a man short. Either Martial is being a devious cnut with the way he worded his post or there’s been a horrific breakdown in communication.
Ralf didn't really claim refusal.

"He didn't want to be in the squad," Rangnick said.

"He would have been in the squad normally, but he didn't want to. That is the reason why he was not travelling with us yesterday."

Which, as plenty have claimed before, could easily be as simple as Martial being given the option and Ralf left it at that, while from Martials point of view if he'd been told to go he would've gone.

Though i don't really understand the "He would have been in the squad normally", Ralf made it clear back a while back that Martial isn't really in contention for being in squads because of his wish to leave the club.

Grande

I agree with you. It’s speculation, but Rangnik would have everything to lose in inventing a story against one of the players, it would come out at once and destroy his authority with the rest of the players. Martial on the other hand, has everything to lose if he comes across as a thrower of toys and downer of tools, to fans, but also to potential buyers. It’s very much in his interest to downplay it.

He let down Ole twice after he saved him from Mourinho’s treatment, now he appears to be poiting his way out under a new manager - I’d say Marial probably have played his last game for Man Utd.

Status
Not open for further replies.