Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would disagree he was very good the whole season. Certainly not a player worth the wage he was on. 16 of his goals came after Christmas. He’d 7 goals in 16 games prior to that. I wouldn’t call that very good for a striker playing for Man United.

Your point about excellent performances is entirely subjective. I disagree that his form leading up to the extension was excellent. When he was given the contract we had already had evidence of him sulking and the many weaknesses in his game.
Is a bit like the Pogba debate at his peak form. So many raved about him here in the ole caretaker season. They refused to understand his good form was only from Nov-January in that whole season.

Duafc

Village Lemon
We have no idea how ETH rates him. It's more likely he has no future at United, but we aren't exactly rife of attacking depth so he may be given one last shot. Who knows until August comes around
Yeah, though that's problems of our own making, if we were better at contracts/player management in general we would likely be able to find more suitors and achieve a sale, which is clearly what the the club wants this summer - so some inference on what ETH thinks can probably be drawn there in fairness.

Our ST situation is lamentable so he may well be necessary backup however once again, if the club could sell him for anything and lose his wage I'm quite sure they'd prefer that plus then buying a backup/young talent this summer, over carrying on with a player that has proven himself incapable of making the step and who has just had a frankly horrific loan spell.

We need an rvn

Yeah, though that's problems of our own making, if we were better at contracts/player management in general we would likely be able to find more suitors and achieve a sale, which is clearly what the the club wants this summer - so some inference on what ETH thinks can probably be drawn there in fairness.

Our ST situation is lamentable so he may well be necessary backup however once again, if the club could sell him for anything and lose his wage I'm quite sure they'd prefer that plus then buying a backup/young talent this summer, over carrying on with a player that has proven himself incapable of making the step and who has just had a frankly horrific loan spell.
It's not as simple as that though really. Looking in from the outside, he so often just looks like a grumpy / sulky / lazy so and so with a bad attitude. We're trying to improve the squad morale, not bring it down even further and I wonder what his arrival will do to the squad and in particular on the younger players too.

But I do get the point needing a backup ST, just wish it wasn't him and we found a buyer that's all...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, I would consider all aspects. I don’t think his performances were all that good either. Aside from going through every detail of matches we played over two years ago all we are left with is opinion and base stats. He had three assists before Christmas. He had facilitated us to 8th place at Christmas. Our form turned when Bruno signed.

I’m aware what I am saying is an opinion. Which I why I’m saying I disagree. You’re stating it like it’s fact that he was excellent.
I'm stating it the same way you are. We are both sharing opinions, so don't start that kind of nonsense. Up until this point it was cordial.

acnumber9

I'm stating it the same way you are. We are both sharing opinions, so don't start that kind of nonsense. Up until this point it was cordial.
I disagree on that point. Not sure I would say that continually saying what I post doesn’t make sense is any more cordial than what I just said. Probably less cordial.

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree on that point. Not sure I would say that continually saying what I post doesn’t make sense is any more cordial than what I just said. Probably less cordial.
I didn't continually say that your posts didn't make sense. I said that one of your point didn't and I didn't repeat it.

acnumber9

I didn't continually say that your posts didn't make sense. I said that one of your point didn't and I didn't repeat it.
You did it twice on two points. I’m not sure how that’s more cordial than saying you stated your opinion like fact once. Regardless, we disagree and will continue to on this subject. He wasn’t worth the contract then or now. And we’re fecked by it because he’s going nowhere outside of a subsidised loan or we’re stuck with a player known to have a bad attitude.

JPRouve

Scout
You did it twice on two points. I’m not sure how that’s more cordial than saying you stated your opinion like fact once. Regardless, we disagree and will continue to on this subject. He wasn’t worth the contract then or now. And we’re fecked by it because he’s going nowhere outside of a subsidised loan or we’re stuck with a player known to have a bad attitude.
Let's say that I did. Which season was his best?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not the caretaker season sorry, Martial's purple patch was during covid
Ahh yeah it was. Anyway we'll see more about Martial to see if he fights for ETH or tries to just get out the club (again).

acnumber9

Let's say that I did. Which season was his best?
Performance wise I would say his first season was his best. His most productive period came just after we signed Bruno and lasted for about 5 months.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make anymore. Is it that he was excellent before signing the contract or that he didn’t ease off when he got the big contract? Or do you genuinely believe he was excellent for 3 years?

flappyjay

Didn't we sign Cavani and he sulked?
Season started he missed a bunch of guilt edged chances including a tap in against PSG lost confidence and that was the end of him. But the narrative of sulking is the one everyone prefers.

JPRouve

Scout
Performance wise I would say his first season was his best. His most productive period came just after we signed Bruno and lasted for about 5 months.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make anymore. Is it that he was excellent before signing the contract or that he didn’t ease off when he got the big contract? Or do you genuinely believe he was excellent for 3 years?
No, I'm just trying to understand your perspective. I won't argue with you.

edcunited1878

He's physically broken from the past 2 years and that compounds his already questionable attitude. His confidence is shot because he's had debilitating injuries to his knees/legs, which has limited his optimal performance/output.

He's a player that should leave if a team wants him, but he's damaged goods and whoever has him in their side has to accommodate him intelligently. Needs to feel wanted, but also understand what he's capable of contributing after 2 years a injuries and being on the outside looking in.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't think he's an enigma. I just think he's a not-particularly-good footballer we held on to for too long. And now we're struggling to get rid of him. No mystery or hidden depths involved.
Exactly this.

People try to overcomplicate it but you're right.

He had a lot of potential when he first joined, he hasn't reached his potential for whatever reason and so now he's just an average footballer we're stuck with.

lex talionis

With the divorce well behind him now, perhaps Anthony will be able to focus on the pitch again, whoever his employer may be.

JeffFromHK

he will stay here until 2025, leeching 250k per week.
and he will score no more than 10 goals all competitions per season in those 3 years,

Kostov

One thing I held against Jose was how he mistreated Martial and Shaw, 3 years after it seems he knew it all along. It would be a miracle if ETH can somehow use Martial, I am not sure he can offer anything.

UpWithRivers

Even though he is really a LW he's the only one that can play striker if the old man needs a break. So I guess he will get some games.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One thing I held against Jose was how he mistreated Martial and Shaw, 3 years after it seems he knew it all along. It would be a miracle if ETH can somehow use Martial, I am not sure he can offer anything.
Wasn’t Martial in good form when he decided to drop him for Sanchez?

largelyworried

I think the series of shit managers we've had is a big part of why he hasn't developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.