Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
I've a strange feeling he may give us 'something' at least this season. As part of an actual functioning system he just might.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One thing I held against Jose was how he mistreated Martial and Shaw, 3 years after it seems he knew it all along. It would be a miracle if ETH can somehow use Martial, I am not sure he can offer anything.
Shaw was players player of the year in 2 out of 4 seasons, one season he was average in first half with lot of injuries and came back very strongly (Covid season). Last season he was shit.

So no, Jose knew feck all and he was wrong, at least about Shaw.

Martial also had his best season after Jose, shame he didn't build on that.

the_cliff

In a ETH system can see Martial having the best season of his career so far.

Of course that's providing he can stay fit for the majority of it.

Kostov

I think the series of shit managers we've had is a big part of why he hasn't developed.
Of course it played a part, however shit player attitudes also are a big problem, and Martial obviously is one of the biggest culprits.

Wasn’t Martial in good form when he decided to drop him for Sanchez?
Yes, it was appalling set of management, but Martial did very little to prove him wrong since.
Jose can go feck himself. He wasn’t right in the slightest.
I think he was about many things.

Shaw was players player of the year in 2 out of 4 seasons, one season he was average in first half with lot of injuries and came back very strongly (Covid season). Last season he was shit.

So no, Jose knew feck all and he was wrong, at least about Shaw.

Martial also had his best season after Jose, shame he didn't build on that.
Shaw has been one of our best players since Jose left, however years after and still many of the same question marks are yet to be answered.

Jose was pretty fecking spot on about many things, but you act like he shat in you hat and will never admit.

roonster09

Scout
Shaw has been one of our best players since Jose left, however years after and still many of the same question marks are yet to be answered.

Jose was pretty fecking spot on about many things, but you act like he shat in you hat and will never admit.
Or posters like you act like Jose's girl friend and keep telling how awesome your boyfriend is/was.

Starts with "Shaw has been one of our best players since Jose left" and then comes with how Jose was right about Shaw.

Kostov

Or posters like you act like Jose's girl friend and keep telling how awesome your boyfriend is/was.

Starts with "Shaw has been one of our best players since Jose left" and then comes with how Jose was right about Shaw.
Nobody said he was awesome don't act like a spoilt kid. I just said that it seems he was right about Martial and Shaw, and what is so fecking shocking about that? You are like Jose Inquisition on this forum, nobody can mention him in any kind od semi positive comment, and here you are what a shock.

roonster09

Scout
Nobody said he was awesome don't act like a spoilt kid. I just said that it seems he was right about Martial and Shaw, and what is so fecking shocking about that? You are like Jose Inquisition on this forum, nobody can mention him in any kind od semi positive comment, and here you are what a shock.
Then don't make dumb posts, you contradicted yourself in the same post and shocked someone said it's wrong? What a cruel world.

At least saying that about Martial would have been half right as he was poor for majority of his time post Jose but adding Shaw is just dumb take.

Kostov

Then don't make dumb posts, you contradicted yourself in the same post and shocked someone said it's wrong? What a cruel world.

At least saying that about Martial would have been half right as he was poor for majority of his time post Jose but adding Shaw is just dumb take.
Shaw being one of our best players post Jose and also 3 years after that still demonstrating that he is unreliable is contradicting myself? Yes OK mr smart post, Jose seems to live in your head rent free, Rafa Benitez like cringeworthy.

roonster09

Scout
Shaw being one of our best players post Jose and also 3 years after that still demonstrating that he is unreliable is contradicting myself? Yes OK mr smart post, Jose seems to live in your head rent free, Rafa Benitez like cringeworthy.
If Shaw is one of our best player after Jose, how is Jose right? If anything it was Jose who was completely wrong and held him back by playing Young as LB, moaning about Shaw even when he played well.

You are like Duncan Castles maybe, too deep in love with Jose, just can't see the reality. Maybe its time to remove those Jose tinted glasses.

Marwood

Shaw and Martial not living up to their potential years on doesn't mean Jose was right at the time to drop them.

If he'd dropped them for far better players who were still here now and performing well then you'd have a point.

Kostov

If Shaw is one of our best player after Jose, how is Jose right? If anything it was Jose who was completely wrong and held him back by playing Young as LB, moaning about Shaw even when he played well.

You are like Duncan Castles maybe, too deep in love with Jose, just can't see the reality. Maybe its time to remove those Jose tinted glasses.
Maguire has been one of our best players post Jose, so has Rashford and I can mention 5 others who I would put in the same bunch. Is that good enough? Absolutely fecking not. And yes he was pretty much spot on, Shaw has the potential to be the best LB in the league, it was the same when I defended him back then for the same reasons you mentioned (Young being preferred) however, instead of being on the the few established members of the first team, here we are 2022 and our new manager goes and buys another LB, in a window we need at least 2 midfielders, a forward and our RB options are consisted of Dalot and AWB. I would pretty much say he has been a disappointment.

roonster09

Scout
Maguire has been one of our best players post Jose, so has Rashford and I can mention 5 others who I would put in the same bunch. Is that good enough? Absolutely fecking not. And yes he was pretty much spot on, Shaw has the potential to be the best LB in the league, it was the same when I defended him back then for the same reasons you mentioned (Young being preferred) however, instead of being on the the few established members of the first team, here we are 2022 and our new manager goes and buys another LB, in a window we need at least 2 midfielders, a forward and our RB options are consisted of Dalot and AWB. I would pretty much say he has been a disappointment.
We signed LB as Telles is shit, we can't have only one LB in the squad.

Shaw is pretty much established first team player and like everyone in the team, he had shit season in 2021-22.

Kostov

Shaw and Martial not living up to their potential years on doesn't mean Jose was right at the time to drop them.

If he'd dropped them for far better players who were still here now and performing well then you'd have a point.
Jose was right about their long term futures here. I was against Jose, and I was wrong, mostly about Martial. Shaw has been better than Martial, yet in my opinion he has failed to establish himself and lots of the same doubts are there to be answered.

I felt he mismanaged Martial when we brought it Alexis, and I thought that Martial is one of the guys who needs a softer man management approach, then Ole came in, and he got all the fecking softness in the world, what happened? In different scale the same happened with Shaw. Jose was right about their lack of proper mentality to be here and improve.

Kostov

We signed LB as Telles is shit, we can't have only one LB in the squad.

Shaw is pretty much established first team player and like everyone in the team, he had shit season in 2021-22.
Telles being shit is the the best part for Shaw, if he was any better, Luke would have been on the bench. And I like Luke Shaw ( I also though that Telles was going to do much better to be fair)

Bringing Malacia is the right move imo, a move in which the team gets a potentially better LB than Shaw, however wasted money in a time we don't have an established midfield and a starting RB.

Marwood

Jose was right about their long term futures here. I was against Jose, and I was wrong, mostly about Martial. Shaw has been better than Martial, yet in my opinion he has failed to establish himself and lots of the same doubts are there to be answered.

I felt he mismanaged Martial when we brought it Alexis, and I thought that Martial is one of the guys who needs a softer man management approach, then Ole came in, and he got all the fecking softness in the world, what happened? In different scale the same happened with Shaw. Jose was right about their lack of proper mentality to be here and improve.
But he replaced them with Sanchez and Young. They had no long term future here either. So what was the benefit?

You can't judge a selection purely on the long term and also exclude who the dropped players were replaced with.

Fred for example probably isn't good enough long term. Very doubtful he'll be in the team if/when we get back to the very top.

But that doesn't mean you go and drop him right now for an inferior player. Just because you prefer the inferior players attitide or the inferior player has a bigger rep.

Longshanks

The frustration with martial is that undoubtedly the talent is there. Its not a question of him being good enough its a question of weather he is willing to give enough/sacrifice enough for the cause.

When he turns up he is a monster but most of the time he doesn't turn up he dosent show enough fight enough effort and ends up just drifting through games not doing very much and getting dispossessed far to easily.

Who knows maybe ETH can get him to switch on, but I don't hold out alot of hope.

kthanksbye

he will stay here until 2025, leeching 250k per week.
and he will score no more than 10 goals all competitions per season in those 3 years,
And his celebration after every goal he scores will be like it's regulation for him, when his 2 goals will be 8 weeks apart.

Kostov

But he replaced them with Sanchez and Young. They had no long term future here either. So what was the benefit?

You can't judge a selection purely on the long term and also exclude who the dropped players were replaced with.
He replaced them with what he though was better at the time he was wrong about their replacements footballing qualities, he was probably right about the their mentality, both of them went on to win the Italian league title after leaving us. From this point of view, I do think that if we let Jose to do what he had in mind, we would have been in a better state than we are now. Managers often drop better players and play worse one if they feel the mentality of the said ones is not right.

We have had multiple reports from alleged Wayne Rooney to Cristiano Ronaldo dissatisfaction in the mindset of this group of players.

Only thing this team proved since than is that they are a bunch of overpayed losers who have achived very little and certainly not fit to play for this great club.

Fred for example probably isn't good enough long term. Very doubtful he'll be in the team if/when we get back to the very top.

But that doesn't mean you go and drop him right now for an inferior player. Just because you prefer the inferior players attitide or the inferior player has a bigger rep.
That is exactly what I think should be done. Cultural and attitude issues are hard and difficult rot to clear out after it sets in. We are the epitome of that. Average journeymen coming to the club and happy to just be here to overpaid youngsters who think they have won it all because they are under contract here.

Stacks

The frustration with martial is that undoubtedly the talent is there. Its not a question of him being good enough its a question of weather he is willing to give enough/sacrifice enough for the cause.

When he turns up he is a monster but most of the time he doesn't turn up he dosent show enough fight enough effort and ends up just drifting through games not doing very much and getting dispossessed far to easily.

Who knows maybe ETH can get him to switch on, but I don't hold out alot of hope.
I actually think his talent is overstated.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That is exactly what I think should be done. Cultural and attitude issues are hard and difficult rot to clear out after it sets in. We are the epitome of that. Average journeymen coming to the club and happy to just be here to overpaid youngsters who think they have won it all because they are under contract here.
There are a few players in the squad who deserve a shot under ETH. Fred and Shaw are at least 2 of them. People seem to underestimate the role a manager can have on players. No offence to Ole but his tactics were hardly an inspiration to players and the less said about Ralf the better for whatever reasons.

What we know is Shaw can play at a high level and has probably been our most consistent performer the last 4 or 5 seasons. You don't just bin players like that and Fred has shown glimpses that under the right management/system he could be an effective player. You can't get rid of a complete squad in a short space of time. There are a lot more players than Shaw and Fred that need to be looked at first and in time they can be phased out once we get a nucleus of a team together if they don't make the grade under a new manager.

Revaulx

Jose can go feck himself. He wasn’t right in the slightest.
Martial (and Pogba) were two of the very few players that looked as though they gave a shit in the final dark days of Jose. And yet the fanboys still reckon that it was all the fault of those two.

Kostov

There are a few players in the squad who deserve a shot under ETH. Fred and Shaw are at least 2 of them. People seem to underestimate the role a manager can have on players. No offence to Ole but his tactics were hardly an inspiration to players and the less said about Ralf the better for whatever reasons.

What we know is Shaw can play at a high level and has probably been our most consistent performer the last 4 or 5 seasons. You don't just bin players like that and Fred has shown glimpses that under the right management/system he could be an effective player. You can't get rid of a complete squad in a short space of time. There are a lot more players than Shaw and Fred that need to be looked at first and in time they can be phased out once we get a nucleus of a team together if they don't make the grade under a new manager.
I personally am tired of finding excuses for this lot, there are two constants in this triangle of players, managers and directors. And we all know Woodward and his pet Judge are not good enough, managers also failed, however these group of players have consistently underperformed. Jose paid the price for his wrongdoings that does not mean he was wrong about everything.

Underperforming players are here for years, and you can only blame the rest of the set up thus far. Yes Shaw can play at high level, is he dependable? He is not. I like Shaw, I think he is our best full back easily, the thing is, with his talent I think he should be the best LB in the league. He is not even close. I hope he has a great season, but I feel he will let this team down.

Fred on the other hand lacks the talent to go with his workrate, and no manager in the world will make him look like a midfielder deserving of a long term future here.

TuzlaUnited

Mourinho was sacked 3 y ago and people still blame him for AM and PP.
Maybe he is just not good enough and it is time to move on.

phelans shorts

Martial (and Pogba) were two of the very few players that looked as though they gave a shit in the final dark days of Jose. And yet the fanboys still reckon that it was all the fault of those two.
There’s a strong shout that Pogba bought Jose another month or so with that performance against Newcastle. Martial as you say was also playing well at the time.

Any problems with these players is nothing to use as a pro Jose comment. Most players looked shite under Jose because Jose was a complete tit who constantly picked fights with his own players. He threw so much shit at the wall that eventually something would stick. Even broke clocks and all that.

The fact of the matter is the hundreds of digs he made at our players that we don’t hear brought up is simply because most of us are trying to put his dark days behind us, then you have the wannabe sycophants screaming “X HAD A BAD GAME SEE JOSE WAS RIGHT”. Move on, he’s not only gone, he went and failed elsewhere in England and has now had to run off to the Italian mid table.

Oranges038

With the divorce well behind him now, perhaps Anthony will be able to focus on the pitch again, whoever his employer may be.
Has a child with a woman, cheats on her then marries the person he cheated on her with. Has a kid with her and then goes and does the same thing again with another woman. The lad is a total rat, pure and simple.

Aside from all that, based on his performances over the last 2 years, he should not get another chance at Utd.

Revaulx

There’s a strong shout that Pogba bought Jose another month or so with that performance against Newcastle. Martial as you say was also playing well at the time.

Any problems with these players is nothing to use as a pro Jose comment. Most players looked shite under Jose because Jose was a complete tit who constantly picked fights with his own players. He threw so much shit at the wall that eventually something would stick. Even broke clocks and all that.

The fact of the matter is the hundreds of digs he made at our players that we don’t hear brought up is simply because most of us are trying to put his dark days behind us, then you have the wannabe sycophants screaming “X HAD A BAD GAME SEE JOSE WAS RIGHT”. Move on, he’s not only gone, he went and failed elsewhere in England and has now had to run off to the Italian mid table.
Yup. And I actually enjoyed his first season and a half or so.

lex talionis

Has a child with a woman, cheats on her then marries the person he cheated on her with. Has a kid with her and then goes and does the same thing again with another woman. The lad is a total rat, pure and simple.

Aside from all that, based on his performances over the last 2 years, he should not get another chance at Utd.
Anthony's behavior as a human being has been deplorable, which for some reason has been a bit of a problem with a few United players in recent years though to differing degrees (Giggs and Greenwood of course). I would be delighted to never see his face again for that reason as well as his deplorable indifference on the pitch -- poor form is acceptable, but total absence of effort is not acceptable -- but he is on the books and there is inside him a decent footballer. He is unsellable now even on a free because of his insane wages, but because his actions were not criminal there's no legal means that I am aware for United to tear up his contract. So what do we do? If he's willing to work hard and perform, then why not let him do so?

Roux

So many excuses for players who should have nobody to blame but themselves.

BehemothTerror

Surely too much to ask to hope for a comeback from him now?

21/22 Season: 23 Games last season only 2 goals and one assist
20/21 Season: 36 Games 7 Goals 9 Assists

I'm willing to give him a chance if required but that return over the last two seasons is woeful for a top team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

In a ETH system can see Martial having the best season of his career so far.

Of course that's providing he can stay fit for the majority of it.
I'd love for him to, but I think it's going to be hard to top that 19/20 season. He's vilified here at this point, so it's not surprising people forget how good he was that year and especially coming out of lockdown. Legitimately our best player and one of the top strikers in the league. Then he couldn't hit a barn door to start the next season and got hurt which killed all of the confidence he had.

Kag

This is bang on.

Oranges038

Anthony's behavior as a human being has been deplorable, which for some reason has been a bit of a problem with a few United players in recent years though to differing degrees (Giggs and Greenwood of course). I would be delighted to never see his face again for that reason as well as his deplorable indifference on the pitch -- poor form is acceptable, but total absence of effort is not acceptable -- but he is on the books and there is inside him a decent footballer. He is unsellable now even on a free because of his insane wages, but because his actions were not criminal there's no legal means that I am aware for United to tear up his contract. So what do we do? If he's willing to work hard and perform, then why not let him do so?
2 years of poor form isn't just poor form, it's his level. He's regressed so badly during a pivotal developmental stage in his career it's very hard to see how he can reach the levels expected of him of a consistent basis.

The idea that he should be given more time to prove he's got what it takes is pure bs in my opinion. He's had enough time and hasn't done enough.

I'd say he is unsellable because he's never really shown anywhere near the form that is deserving of his wages. Nobody would buy him and pay him anywhere near that because of what has he's shown.

lex talionis

2 years of poor form isn't just poor form, it's his level. He's regressed so badly during a pivotal developmental stage in his career it's very hard to see how he can reach the levels expected of him of a consistent basis.

The idea that he should be given more time to prove he's got what it takes is pure bs in my opinion. He's had enough time and hasn't done enough.

I'd say he is unsellable because he's never really shown anywhere near the form that is deserving of his wages. Nobody would buy him and pay him anywhere near that because of what has he's shown.
Hard to see, without question. But not impossible.

I'm a grave doubter of Martial. If we could find a club to take him on a free I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. But we're not going to find a club to take him a free so he's a member of the squad drawing down 250/week. There's no downside to having him in training and giving him a chance to prove he's got anything left. I suppose we could just pay him his 250/week and deny him entry into Carrington, but I doubt league regulations would allow that.

On November 12 we have a match against Fulham. If we're up 0-3 in the 60th minute I'd like to see ETH bring on Anthony and see what he's got. In the runup to match we've got a brutal run of fixtures, and, absent an injury crisis, I wouldn't want to see Martial come on. He has to earn any minutes he gets and we can't afford to see him potentially flop against Newcastle and Tottenham, let alone Liverpool or City.

Status
Not open for further replies.