Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Tree

Martial FC is back!

I hope he can turn it around, but I also don't care if he got sold and we got some extra fund to get a new forward.

city-puma

Considering his techniques, the burst run to dribble in tight space, linkup play, and always seeking a quick one-two to penetrate into the penalty box, he is the perfect forward for ETH. He has injury issue and off-field problem last recently. Can he get over them? Last season, Ronaldo always played no matter what. I can understand why he wanted to leave because of that. Now, he has the real opportunity to revive his career and do so here. Why not, tony?

pascell

Considering his techniques, the burst run to dribble in tight space, linkup play, and always seeking a quick one-two to penetrate into the penalty box, he is the perfect forward for ETH. He has injury issue and off-field problem last recently. Can he get over them? Last season, Ronaldo always played no matter what. I can understand why he wanted to leave because of that. Now, he has the real opportunity to revive his career and do so here. Why not, tony?
Because he's a lazy b*stard. So lazy, even Sevilla couldn't wait to see the back of him.

So aye, let's give him one more chance and hope ten Hag can polish this sh*t ey, what could go wrong?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would be lying if i didn't say that I genuinely think he's about to have a very good season. Stylistically (when fit and not sulking and in a semblance of form), he is much more suited to ten Hag's football as a striker than the others we have and the others he's played under. Fitness has been horrible past few years, but if he can stay fit... I think we can get by ok with him up top. Besides, it's looking like the starting striker role will drop into his lap again, so he'll have another chance at it without serious competition (and he tends to do at least OK in that scenario). Not enough to challenge for the title, but that's never happening this year anyway. As a top 4 team, I think he can do it. Its his last crack at making it at a top club essentially.

So yeah, as unlikely as it seems... I think he'll surprise us all and have a good year.

RedDevilQuebecois

There's absolutely no way we'll go into next season relying on him as a starter. He'll still be a squad player at best and I think the club will push to sell him and bring in one or two others instead if they can.
Also my assessment. How can we tolerate such a mentally weak player who cannot compete for his spot in any season that has seen a competitor for the number 9 position? Just having him around the club after all the sulky and lazy crap he has served us for years is nonsensical. You either earn your spot or you hit the bricks.

Personally, he's a lost cause in my book.

Bondi77

I would be lying if i didn't say that I genuinely think he's about to have a very good season. Stylistically (when fit and not sulking and in a semblance of form), he is much more suited to ten Hag's football as a striker than the others we have and the others he's played under. Fitness has been horrible past few years, but if he can stay fit... I think we can get by ok with him up top. Besides, it's looking like the starting striker role will drop into his lap again, so he'll have another chance at it without serious competition (and he tends to do at least OK in that scenario). Not enough to challenge for the title, but that's never happening this year anyway. As a top 4 team, I think he can do it. Its his last crack at making it at a top club essentially.

So yeah, as unlikely as it seems... I think he'll surprise us all and have a good year.
Why would you be surprised if you genuinely think he is going to have a good season?

bosnian_red

Why would you be surprised if you genuinely think he is going to have a good season?
Surprise everyone else I guess. Obviously it'll be a surprise but I guess he's just my prediction for unlikely performer of the year.

Bondi77

Surprise everyone else I guess. Obviously it'll be a surprise but I guess he's just my prediction for unlikely performer of the year.
I suppose you have nothing to lose by making a prediction but it cannot be based on anything other than you must just like the player as his form guide for the past year has been nothing short of abysmal.
If he scores ten goals for us this season then that would be an improvement but it is nowhere near good enough to be a starting forward for us so what would you consider a successful season for him?

Stacks

I semi agree. I have given up on Martial (see thread) but it's not the end of the world. As you said when he's the only/main option he sometimes pulls out something. He can atleast do SOMETHING. We have Bruno to get 25 goals + 15 assists in Ronaldo absence so all is not lost. Probably get a tune out of Martial (13-15 goals) then upgrade the plonker next year. We don't really have any other choice . Sign me up for a season ticket for Martial FC for a year.

bosnian_red

I suppose you have nothing to lose by making a prediction but it cannot be based on anything other than you must just like the player as his form guide for the past year has been nothing short of abysmal.
If he scores ten goals for us this season then that would be an improvement but it is nowhere near good enough to be a starting forward for us so what would you consider a successful season for him?
Tbh I had written him off a while ago! But he's gotten an unexpected lifeline here. Based on his qualities as a player that he has shown in the past, he obviously does have a lot that fits with Ten Hag, he just hasn't shown them in a couple of years and has had a terrible fitness record. Wasn't exactly all that long ago though where he scored over 20 goals in the season though and had a very good season, but that was a one off. I think there's a better chance to get back to that level at least (which still probably isn't enough to be a regular starter for United, but it's decent at least). So that's kind of what I'm getting at. He won't reach his huge potential that he showed a long time ago, but he can be decent, and I think Ten Hag as coach has a much better chance of getting him to a decent level than any other coach he's had, and the situation has became one where he will seemingly get the chance.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Tbh I had written him off a while ago! But he's gotten an unexpected lifeline here. Based on his qualities as a player that he has shown in the past, he obviously does have a lot that fits with Ten Hag, he just hasn't shown them in a couple of years and has had a terrible fitness record. Wasn't exactly all that long ago though where he scored over 20 goals in the season though and had a very good season, but that was a one off. I think there's a better chance to get back to that level at least (which still probably isn't enough to be a regular starter for United, but it's decent at least). So that's kind of what I'm getting at. He won't reach his huge potential that he showed a long time ago, but he can be decent, and I think Ten Hag as coach has a much better chance of getting him to a decent level than any other coach he's had, and the situation has became one where he will seemingly get the chance.
Unless he has hired a psychological coach to get his head in order, it would be more than a surprise if he turns up this season it would be up there with Jesus Christ rising after 3 days in miracle terms, fact is he hasn’t had bad injuries that has caused his decline it’s his want that is lacking that has caused his decline he has settled and probably happy with the money he has earned.

Bondi77

Fair enough.
I was a huge fan of his in his first few seasons with us and while I thought the Henry comparisons were pushing it a bit I did think that we had a real player on our hands. I think along with a lot of fans I feel really pissed off that the club have given him every opportunity to deliver and handed him a bumper long term contract and yet he just seems not at all bothered to really put a shift in for the club.
If Erik can get him playing to a good standard I will be happy for him and for us as fans but I am not optimistic about this one.

bosnian_red

Fair enough.
I was a huge fan of his in his first few seasons with us and while I thought the Henry comparisons were pushing it a bit I did think that we had a real player on our hands. I think along with a lot of fans I feel really pissed off that the club have given him every opportunity to deliver and handed him a bumper long term contract and yet he just seems not at all bothered to really put a shift in for the club.
If Erik can get him playing to a good standard I will be happy for him and for us as fans but I am not optimistic about this one.
I think the club is equally to blame as much as the player himself. Same with some of the other elite talents we've had who didn't materialize. Didn't develop them properly from a mentality POV, led to them plateauing, as well as never giving them the right platform to succeed as player from a lack of coaching. Sometimes things just click later on, sometimes they don't, but fate seems to be giving Martial one last chance here... So let's hope?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
In theory yes.

But the few matches I have seen him play last season but at United and Seville, he seems to have lost that burst of pace. He doesn't seem to be able to beat his man anymore.
Not sure if it's from past injuries or weight/bulk gain -- he is a lot thicker in the upper body areas nowadays.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd be comfortable going into the season with 19-20 Martial as a starter but that was a long time ago now. He simply can't stay fit for more than a game at a time. If he can improve his availability we'd be halfway there.

The Urban Goose

I think he’ll be the surprise of the season, can see him doing well in an ETH system if he pulls his finger out. Hopefully the reports about training are true.

Andersons Dietician

Half this forum will be eating humble pie with a side of egg on their face when Martial law gets declared and he wins the golden boot whilst Donny runs the show. Rashford off the left, 15 goals, Sancho off the right 10 goals and 10 assists, Martial up top 25 goals.

It’s raining goals, hallelujah it’s raining goals, Ten Hag!
Will we finally have to pay that clause to Monaco next year when he is lifting the Balon Dor

Andersons Dietician

I know we’ve all been down this road before and really there probably isn’t much reason to think anything will be any different this time round but for once if he is to be the starting number 9, Hopefully ETH has enough about him to realise Martial is not your goal scorer, but get people that can link up with him like Amad, Sancho and have a Bruno and Donny willing to go beyond him and you’ll probably get a performance out of him.

Hes not the main man and I don’t even think he’s really all that fussed or has that proper hunger for scoring goals like a Haaland or Lewi but some of our best football has come from when he’s dropped deep to cover Bruno or Rashford has been able to come in and go past Martial.

If we are going to have a system with slick quick short passing with rotation around then he is arguably the best suited to finding a pass in and around the box.

Alas, I know it won’t happen but for the love of Christ just hope ETH is a competent manager for once and can see what players qualities are.

Trex

I know we’ve all been down this road before and really there probably isn’t much reason to think anything will be any different this time round but for once if he is to be the starting number 9, Hopefully ETH has enough about him to realise Martial is not your goal scorer, but get people that can link up with him like Amad, Sancho and have a Bruno and Donny willing to go beyond him and you’ll probably get a performance out of him.

Hes not the main man and I don’t even think he’s really all that fussed or has that proper hunger for scoring goals like a Haaland or Lewi but some of our best football has come from when he’s dropped deep to cover Bruno or Rashford has been able to come in and go past Martial.

If we are going to have a system with slick quick short passing with rotation around then he is arguably the best suited to finding a pass in and around the box.

Alas, I know it won’t happen but for the love of Christ just hope ETH is a competent manager for once and can see what players qualities are.
Totally agree, Bruno and Rashford played their best football for us with him leading the line.

Abraxas

In an ideal world he'd be moved on as it is simply not acceptable to have such a non-trier playing for Man Utd. He has not improved at all since he came to the club. His hold up play might have but he lost his dribbling ability, his directness and a yard of pace that he came with from Monaco. He was more of a threat when he had those things and needed to prove himself.

However it's not an ideal world and we have lost Greenwood, Cavani and potentially Ronaldo and Martial must be near unsellable. So you can understand that it's likely he will get an opportunity this year under the new manager to flesh out this squad. I am not excited about it but that's just the way it is, we saddled ourselves with this problem with the overly generous contract we gave out and now we have to accept the consequences and hope ETH can do something others haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.