Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Given him a new contract when we could just release him (since you thought we could this summer)
I'd have no problem with Martial being released, and let's say he is hypothetically and we buy a striker in the summer.

That's fine and all, but what happens when that striker is injured or suspended? We're going to have to rely on Rashford or worse yet - get a loan in.

Offering an existing striker a 1 year extension (let's assume we can reduced wages as well) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and it will allow some insurance in case our new striker does get injured etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd have no problem with Martial being released, and let's say he is hypothetically and we buy a striker in the summer.

That's fine and all, but what happens when that striker is injured or suspended? We're going to have to rely on Rashford or worse yet - get a loan in.

Offering an existing striker a 1 year extension (let's assume we can reduced wages as well) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and it will allow some insurance in case our new striker does get injured etc.
Circular conversation, Martial is more than likely going to be injured when the new striker is injured. So just signing someone else as a backup would be the smart option.

Ibrahimorich

I have a soft spot for Martial, I admit it. Ever since his debut where he made the Liverpool defence look like a team from the danish 4th division I have liked him.
The sad truth is that is just cannot stay fit and that he isnt always clinical enough.
Honestly I hoped it would work out, but surely now we all see its time to upgrade on him.
I came here to make a post but this sums up what I think nicely. We have myriad options out wide and Diallo to come back also so I just can't see a place for him.

AndySmith1990

How can anyone watch United make so many bad and short sighted mistakes for the past decade, and then advocate making another mistake by handing Martial a contract extension. It's been 7 years of mostly rubbish from him. Even Sevilla weren't interested in him after a hopeless spell on loan. Surely by now enough is enough.

Man Utd 2:0 Wolves

RuudtheRed

It was a good center forward's goal from him today. Still seemed a little rusty but he does link our attack together even when he isn't at his best

Abraxas

In the right place to score which is good. Our strikers have not done enough of that. The rest wasn't particularly great, especially second half he was fairly non descript at best.

Cassidy

He knows hes being replaced in summer and is coasting

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It was a good center forward's goal from him today. Still seemed a little rusty but he does link our attack together even when he isn't at his best
It would be quite extraordinary not to get in the position he got today. The easiest goal he will score.

Irwin99

If he stays fit i wonder if he'll play the cup final? Got a good record against City if i remember correctly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s just a poor striker. An occasional good performance shouldn’t hide the fact that today was fairly typical of what he’s produced these last few years. Lost all his physical battles, poor workrate, don’t think he made one tackle, didn’t win any headers, never threatened in behind and didn’t do much useful with the ball. We can do so much better. It’s tiresome watching mid to lower team sides with strikers that do more for the team, week in, week out.

flappyjay

He’s just a poor striker. An occasional good performance shouldn’t hide the fact that today was fairly typical of what he’s produced these last few years. Lost all his physical battles, poor workrate, don’t think he made one tackle, didn’t win any headers, never threatened in behind and didn’t do much useful with the ball. We can do so much better. It’s tiresome watching mid to lower team sides with strikers that do more for the team, week in, week out.
Today Antony should have passed to him, another good run was when Casemiro hogged the ball and played the ball to Bruno too late. On another day he would have had 3 guilt edged chances to score. Whether its Kane or Osimhen our team will need to be smart with the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Today Antony should have passed to him, another good run was when Casemiro hogged the ball and played the ball to Bruno too late. On another day he would have had 3 guilt edged chances to score. Whether its Kane or Osimhen our team will need to be smart with the ball.
He was still crap. Which was my main point and not something you can blame on any other players.

NoPace

He knows hes being replaced in summer and is coasting
I don't think we can afford to replace him and I think Ten Hag rates him. I expect him to be our #2 striker next year, along with Rashford (who will be first choice at LW, but Garnacho should get more chances there when Rashford is central).

ti vu

Shit performance even though had an important impact with the goal. Still one with a better score rate category despite not being prolific. Really bleak situation right now, where we don't have the option to drop him, while trying to get at 2 more wins in the league.

Andersons Dietician

There seemed to be a lot of this going on in that game. So many of our players just holding the ball too long or not executing a simple pass when it mattered.

Anyway I’ve watched this guy for like 3 years now when an attack is developing hang out around the 18 yarder for a cut back often to his own detriment. It’s been a bug bear of mine that he doesn’t get in and around the 6 yarder enough If at all.

Today Bissaka cuts back a perfect ball for someone sitting around the 18 yarder and where is this fecker? Yes he’s made a run to the back post.

Cassidy

I don't think we can afford to replace him and I think Ten Hag rates him. I expect him to be our #2 striker next year, along with Rashford (who will be first choice at LW, but Garnacho should get more chances there when Rashford is central).
Given we can do it for free (no transfer fee) I think we will. If he stays he’ll be 3rd choice

Cassidy

Nah, he's been coasting for years now.

Nothing to do with being replaced, it all started when he signed that 250k a week, 5+1 year deal.
Hes had good seasons when hes been trusted as the starter during that time. As soon as someone else is brought in he goes missing. Despite the injuries this season (when it looked like ETH had faith in him) he played well when fit. Since rumours surfaced hes on the list to be sold this summer his level has dropped significantly and it looks like its due to effort to me

Oranges038

Hes had good seasons when hes been trusted as the starter during that time. As soon as someone else is brought in he goes missing. Despite the injuries this season (when it looked like ETH had faith in him) he played well when fit. Since rumours surfaced hes on the list to be sold this summer his level has dropped significantly and it looks like its due to effort to me
He's had 2, maybe 2 and a half really good seasons out of 8.

He's done nothing of note for 3 years.

Injuries have ruined my boy. We are never getting 19/20 Martial back. His top tier balance, speed and agility has deserted him. Let’s see if he can fire us to top 4 as a poacher.

Oranges038

Does not change the point
Kind of does.

You say he's coasting now because he knows he's on the way out. When he's actually been coasting since he got that big fat, totally undeserved 5 year contract.

It's the sort of deal that makes it almost impossible to offload players when they're no worth keeping anymore. He should have been binned off years ago.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is done. No balance, no burst of pace and his dribbling is also bit off and this is coming a huge Martial fan.

Had high hopes for a Pogba - Martial link up back then. What a waste of 150m

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's had occasional seasons of good form in what has overall been a mediocre Manchester United career from a mediocre Manchester United player.
Opinion at the start of the season, we can safely chalk this one up as another to add to the list.

Though he was injured tbf (another theme of his United career).

Also important to remember that this is the fifth(?) best player in the squad. If we could sign more than one striker there would be a lot to say for letting him go.

MadMike

Given we can do it for free (no transfer fee) I think we will. If he stays he’ll be 3rd choice
Free agents still cost salaries though and Martial is on £250k. If he doesn’t move on this summer, it might be very difficult to sign 2 strikers ahead of him and still stay within FFP rules. We can hope, but it’s not guaranteed at all. I fully expect him to see out his contract and be number #2 in the meantime.

Cassidy

Free agents still cost salaries though and Martial is on £250k. If he doesn’t move on this summer, it might be very difficult to sign 2 strikers ahead of him and still stay within FFP rules. We can hope, but it’s not guaranteed at all. I fully expect him to see out his contract and be number #2 in the meantime.
I think you underestimate ETH and the standards he’ll be demanding next season. No way he willingly relies on Martial as no2.

MadMike

I think you underestimate ETH and the standards he’ll be demanding next season. No way he willingly relies on Martial as no2.
I think you underestimate the extent to which this might not be in ETH’s hands. If the club wishes to adhere to FFP and Martial does not accept leaving, ETH’s hands might well be tied.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was crap, and has been crap for the last few games.

But at least he scored a goal to somewhat mask the crapness - if he keeps doing that until the end of the season I'll be... happy?

UnitedRepublic

He was crap, and has been crap for the last few games.

But at least he scored a goal to somewhat mask the crapness - if he keeps doing that until the end of the season I'll be... happy?
Kinda like Rashford really If he doesn’t score he doesn’t contribute much. I would say a typical Rashford performance.

Jeffthered

This, thankfully, is a rather redundant discussion now. Martial is finished at Manchester United, you can see it. I saw nothing else aside from a tap-in which any of us on here could have scored, and please do not suggest it was some great run to find space etc.

Counting down the games now, and I just want us to work towards top four. If we get that, let the celebrations and respective cull commence!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think you underestimate the extent to which this might not be in ETH’s hands. If the club wishes to adhere to FFP and Martial does not accept leaving, ETH’s hands might well be tied.
If FFP is the only issue here then let martial go and use Rashford as the no 2 when needed. That way, we are making the squad slimmer for the benefit of countering FFP by focussing more on quality rather than quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.