Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
See that some are still going with the "injuries destroyed him", and the "when he's fit" narrative, despite evidence to the contrary.

Maticmaker

Lets be honest had Martial not scored today we would all have been lamenting once again what appears to be his total lack of interest and commitment in his performance, in fact even though he did score, many posters are doing just that anyway!

Personally I find it sad that a player who when he arrived did look the part, however accepting that injuries have had an impact Martial for me, anyways, always cuts a figure of someone who can't quite get it right and therefore cannot be ar**d. He almost sulks around the pitch, but remarkably no other United player ever seem to take it up with him. Maybe they realise it will do no good!

Excluding the goal. there were for me two brief examples in the first half against Wolves where running in at speed in from the left, with the ball at his feet, towards the edge of the box, it was like rolling back the years for Martial, but a double 'front up' defense from two Wolves defenders, either took the ball off him, or ran him down a blind alley.

Sorry to say it, but for me unless ETH can work a miracle, the lads had his day at United.

OldTrevil

Nice for him to get the goal as he's clearly struggling for confidence after a long layoff from multiple injuries. I'm not joining the chorus of him being finished.

MadMike

If FFP is the only issue here then let martial go and use Rashford as the no 2 when needed. That way, we are making the squad slimmer for the benefit of countering FFP by focussing more on quality rather than quantity.
You cannot let player go when they are on contract, not without pay him all the money upfront anyway. And if we do it still takes away from the total budget (which is for transfers and salaries)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You cannot let player go when they are on contract, not without pay him all the money upfront anyway. And if we do it still takes away from the total budget (which is for transfers and salaries)
You sell Martial for free alone is basically already free up 13m of his annual salary.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Would maybe give him a chance as a second striker, but still don't like him at all. Was great in pre season though.

MadMike

You sell Martial for free alone is basically already free up 13m of his annual salary.
While he's on contract here, he has to want to leave. And since Martial is on 250k pw and very unlikely that anyone will offer him half that, I find it highly unlikely that he will want to leave.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
While he's on contract here, he has to want to leave. And since Martial is on 250k pw and very unlikely that anyone will offer him half that, I find it highly unlikely that he will want to leave.
Sure, he can stay as no 3 but he shouldn’t stay as no 2. Tell him he’s below pecking order from Rashford and whoever the striker we sign then he’s either accept it or leave. That’s another way to force player to leave. Be ruthless.

MadMike

If he could stay fit he'd be a decent backup, imo. Languid style and all. That has ceased to bother me about him, so long as he produces the goods. He's had, funnily enough, a decent season in terms of productivity GA per 90'. He's got 8 goals and 3 assists in 1,291 mins. That's a GA every 117 mins.

For comparison, Julian Alvarez at City is on 15g and 5a in 2.309 mins, which is a GA every 115 mins. He has almost the same output per 90' as Martial and he plays for an undoubtedly better and more dominant team. And he is considered among the best, if no the best, 2nd striker of any team in the league.

The main difference however, and the problem with Martial, is that Alvarez is available whereas Martial isn't. He has clocked 1,100 more minutes than Martial and City have played 2 or 3 less games than us. And when you look at the season, he has had 20GA which is a significant contribution. Whereas Martial is at almost half that. Then the second problem with Martial is that he is on £250k pw, which is £50k more than Harry Kane. I don't know what Alvarez is on, but a) we are not City with infinite resources and b) £250k is objectively way too much for a player who is not contributing enough in the season (due to absences).

He definitely hasn't done enough to justify his salary, never mind deserve a new contract. Yet, I still expect he'll be here next season precisely due to that huge contract. Nobody will pay him the money. And we won't have enough money to sign and pay for 2 more strikers on top of Martial.

Raven

I love that when he gets involved in play people are saying he needs to stay away from that and get into the box. Now that he's gotten a goal and spent most of his time in and around the box, he's not doing enough. What is it that people want from him?

Not a great performance by any means, certainly not poor either but again, he's been ignored time after time when he gets himself into good positions.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I love that when he gets involved in play people are saying he needs to stay away from that and get into the box. Now that he's gotten a goal and spent most of his time in and around the box, he's not doing enough. What is it that people want from him?

Not a great performance by any means, certainly not poor either but again, he's been ignored time after time when he gets himself into good positions.
consistent top level performances and 25+ goals a season.
Not one goal every 10 games.

poleglass red

can't he do both, ie be involved in the build up and then get himself into the box, like say Kane does for Spurs. I don't know why it would have to be one or the other.

FerociousCorgis

can't he do both, ie be involved in the build up and then get himself into the box, like say Kane does for Spurs. I don't know why it would have to be one or the other.
i dont know feel like he gets shit on pretty hard nowadays regardless. For me i used to be on martial FC hard, but now just ready to see the back of him. Still, i think games he has played for EtH he looks pretty good generally. Even last game when people were saying Wout was somehow so much better than him, i still thought Martial was clearly better. He kept slipping, as did others, at certain times. Other than that he links up play in a manner that is ten times the best we have seen from Wout. He actually is able to hold a ball up and sometimes keep the man off his back long enough to do something with it. Ive lost count how many times Wout gets manhandled for someone his size.
Not saying we should be keeping martial around next season but think hes been somewhat consistent for us when he actually is able to play. Just a man made of glass i swear.

lex talionis

Martial's stratospheric wages will make it impossible for us to give him away, but if there is a way to give him away without subsidizing his wages, we should seize the chance to do so. It's one thing to be out of form, but quite another thing to consistently perform in such a lethargic, indifferent manner. It's not a matter of not understanding him; it's a matter of understanding that we should have sold him a long time ago.

talking robot

Don't think he is going anywhere this summer. We will buy a top class striker, but won't have money left over for a deputy. Martial will start next season as the back up number 9. That role may be ok for him as fewer games may mean he's pretty much always available when called upon.

Telsim

Everything he does always seems half a step too late. It's probably the injuries.

Irwin99

Sulking or injured? didn't see the game but heard he went straight down the tunnel.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Sulking or injured? didn't see the game but heard he went straight down the tunnel.
No he didn't. Although he did go straight down the tunnel after the full-time whistle when the rest of the squad went to thank the away fans.

ManRed

Had one good moment all game and that too just before the sub. Was no reason for him sulking post that. Even at the end he was disinterested to shake Eriks hand.

Its time to move on from him and get 2 strikers in the summer

FerociousCorgis

Don't get the hate. Thought he was the best of the attacking 4, and by far. Couple slips again in bad times but I just don't get the hate. Should he be playing cf for us next year-no. But his link up play and one twos he plays with those around him was actually pretty decent today I thought.

Irwin99

No he didn't. Although he did go straight down the tunnel after the full-time whistle when the rest of the squad went to thank the away fans.
Ah ok. Still wonder if her knows his time is up here-but who would want to buy him with those wages.

Was hoping he'd pick up some form before the cup final.

Renegade

He has some nerve sulking. Barely available all season and when he is he plays half arsed. Hope we move on.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Everything he does always seems half a step too late. It's probably the injuries.
It 100% is. He's cooked physically at this point I think. Even comparing today to his preseason matches it's night and day, he literally has no burst anymore.

Still didn't deserve to be subbed off, he was the only one I thought that had a chance of making anything happen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Too careful with everything. We need a version of Martial that operates swiftly between opponents.

When Rashford returns soon, they need to start running towards goal together and create some noise, otherwise we will bore the feck out of Chelsea.

RedIan

Standard Martial performance, a few flashes of his ability. Jogging around when we are not in possession. No surprise he gets hooked.

RedOrange

It 100% is. He's cooked physically at this point I think. Even comparing today to his preseason matches it's night and day, he literally has no burst anymore.

Still didn't deserve to be subbed off, he was the only one I thought that had a chance of making anything happen.
I thought we regained more control of the ball with Weghorst. Martial was totally disinterested in pressing in the 2nd half, while WW came in and harried Bournemouth's defenders when they had the ball and they kept giving it back to us.

bosskeano

Martial is a waste of a talented player....just sell his ass this summer and move on to someone who gives a fuk

flameinthesun

Too careful with everything. We need a version of Martial that operates swiftly between opponents.

When Rashford returns soon, they need to start running towards goal together and create some noise, otherwise we will bore the feck out of Chelsea.
Think that that version of Martial is gone and honestly, was never really here. He's never had the energy or desire to press or to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Which is fine but we have too many of those types of personalities in the squad.

Hopefully we can either move him on or if he's happy to play backup and we can afford his wages to be a no2 striker then keep him.

Sid234

Saw EtH try to High-Five him at final whistle, he seemed to ignore him (maybe didnt see him?), just walked down the tunnel. Body language seemed to say he wasn't happy

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Saw EtH try to High-Five him at final whistle, he seemed to ignore him (maybe didnt see him?), just walked down the tunnel. Body language seemed to say he wasn't happy
He's fecking fortunate he's still here.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
first full game i've watched since probably sevilla 0-3 or spurs 2-2.
he was good - very good passing and 1-2s, ok at everything else. clearly better than the other forwards.
has this been his level for the last month? or was it an unexpectedly better game?

Status
Not open for further replies.