5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jameyzane

Remember when Ronaldo was being a nuisance because we were not showing ambition in the market? I don't want Ronaldo anymore here, but boy...a broken clock is truly right twice a day. We have no ambition as a club. None!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yup that's fair, I just looked it up. Not a great injury record esp. going into an environment where he's expected to work harder than he has before.

17/18: 4 games
18/19: 8 games
19/20: 17 games
20/21: 20 games
21/22: 9 games. (3 due to just being unfit, so happy to chalk that down as 6 games)

Unfortunately I think we were planning for Ronaldo as our starting CF this year and that plan went to shit. If he stays we should be fine with Ronaldo / Martial rotating for the rest of the season.
Good. Because it was a terrible plan.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The problem with panic buying is that it massively increases the chance of buying a player who doesn’t fit. And we already know how much money we invariably lose trying to fix that sort of error.

Planned buying would be great. Panic buying not so much.
Then what do you propose the club do?

We are fecked either way

djembatheking

This will be the first hamstring injury of many. Wait and see. You don’t go from one of the least hardworking teams in the league to an aggressive high press without a load of these sort of injuries while their bodies get used to the new demands.
Dead right, when I was doing my team prediction in the match day thread I noticed how thin the squad really is and I think we are in for a rough ride when the injuries start kicking in. Ten Hag looks such a good appointment but he needs to be backed or it is a waste of time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nkunku was going nowhere, he was PSG's priority but Leipzig and the player chose a move next summer at the earliest.
He signed a contract even with a release clause next summer. Maybe if we finish in top 4 we have a chance to sign him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Then what do you propose the club do?

We are fecked either way
I propose we panic buy.

But I’m gutted that we have do. Straight up dereliction of duty by the club. How can we end up panic buying to fill a position we all knew needed beefing up since the end of last season?!? It was actually a more critical position to fix than any of the positions covered by the players we did sign. Goals win games an’ all.

gza the genius

I knew we wouldn’t be able to rely on him for the season but even at my most pessimistic I didn’t think he’d let us down on the literal first game of the season.

I can’t really understand who at the club thought going in to the season with him as our main striker was a good idea.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I propose we panic buy.

But I’m gutted that we have do. Straight up dereliction of duty by the club. How can we end up panic buying to fill a position we all knew needed beefing up since the end of last season?!? It was actually a more critical position to fix than any of the positions covered by the players we did sign. Goals win games an’ all.
The club will pin the entire summer business (and failings) on EtH. They briefed on how the new manager rejected all the candidates proposed by the scouting, and how they are trusting him full-tilt to make the right signings. Ultimately, the blame will be laid at the door of manager if this season goes to shit, which it likely will given the barebones squad

It is so difficult to be optimistic about this club because they brief one thing and do another, the entire Ragnick expirement was to fix the foundations so we go into the summer with a plan. But, we've pissed about and gotten ourselves into same situation again. We struggled for goals last season, and yet our fanbase thinks Rashford and Martial will suddenly step up this season. And, vast majority even advocate selling Ronaldo without having any replacement lined up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He signed a contract even with a release clause next summer. Maybe if we finish in top 4 we have a chance to sign him
It's possible, though he is supposed to be one of PSG's priority.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why though? Assuming he didn't want to leave, Ronaldo / Martial at CF was fine for a season.
It was absolutely not fine. Ronaldo is 37 years old and a terrible fit for ETH’s brand of football and Martial is, well, Martial.

We lost both Greenwood and Cavani from the squad that started last season. Failing to replace either of them was always going to bite us on the arse.

Teja

Nkunku was going nowhere, he was PSG's priority but Leipzig and the player chose a move next summer at the earliest.
Yup, they look like they want to push Bayern all the way this time. We really should start working on signing him for next year as soon as the transfer window closes (sort of like what City did with Haaland).

If Woody was in-charge I don't see any hope of that happening. I'm hoping Murtough at least starts talking to him in Jan.

Hackman2210

injured?? Really how fecking predictable!
Does this guy actually want to play for us?

JPRouve

Scout
It was absolutely not fine. Ronaldo is 37 years old and a terrible fit for ETH’s brand of football and Martial is, well, Martial.

We lost both Greenwood and Cavani from the squad that started last season. Failing to replace either of them was always going to bite us on the arse.
Yeah an attacker was still needed. Elanga can't be the 5th option out of 3 spots. The current options are Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, Sancho and then Elanga. We can't sustain more than one injury at a time.

Teja

/shrugs

That's on the manager. All the noises from Ten Hag were that he wanted an out and out goalscorer first and foremost. We assume Ronaldo won't run (but really will Haaland significantly more?). I'm pretty sure Ten Hag will find a way to make it work if Ronaldo checks his attitude.

If we were that certain that CF was priority, then we should've dropped FdJ and gone all out for a guy like Nunez (we were in for him before Pool). That would mean Ronaldo on the bench at 500k p/w and yet more complaints about starting McFred.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
/shrugs

That's on the manager. All the noises from Ten Hag were that he wanted an out and out goalscorer first and foremost. We assume Ronaldo won't run (but really will Haaland significantly more?). I'm pretty sure Ten Hag will find a way to make it work if Ronaldo checks his attitude.

If we were that certain that CF was priority, then we should've dropped FdJ and gone all out for a guy like Nunez (we were in for him before Pool). That would mean Ronaldo on the bench at 500k p/w and yet more complaints about starting McFred.
We were in for Nunez but he chose Liverpool. It happens.

Chip

Fecking hell. Probably the player I was looking most forward to watch this season.

Hopefully it'll be the push the club needs to sign another attacker (aside from Sesko, if he comes) before the window shuts...

Teja

We were in for Nunez but he chose Liverpool. It happens.
I think we walked away because of the fees quoted. We wanted him if he was around 50M as a rotation option with Ronaldo. Not at close to 100M to start esp when we had bigger issues to fix in midfield.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
/shrugs

We should have gone all out for a striker and FdJ. Because that’s what we needed to do.

Up front is the one area ETH has come out and specifically stated we need a new signing. So he’s obviously well aware how ridiculously light we are up front.

Thiagoal

As sure as night follows day, Martial will spend most of the season injured. Negligent from the board to go into the season with him and a guy that wants to leave as our only two options.

Are there any feeebies or strikers available for loan? What’s Ighalo up to these days?:eek:

Teja

We should have gone all out for a striker and FdJ. Because that’s what we needed to do.

Up front is the one area ETH has come out and specifically stated we need a new signing. So he’s obviously well aware how ridiculously light we are up front.
I believe this is after the Ronaldo drama but would love to get any links here. With a fully committed Ronaldo his shopping list was Timber, FdJ, Antony (RW rather than CF).

I think if we are sure that Ronaldo will leave, then we'll sign someone at CF.

JPRouve

Scout
And he's from there, right? Maybe if they are super stacked upfront, he choses a team that will start him. Let's see though
Yup. In fact one of his admitted dream is to captain PSG. Generally I'm skeptical about french players going back to Ligue 1 but in this case I could totally see it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I believe this is after the Ronaldo drama but would love to get any links here. With a fully committed Ronaldo his shopping list was Timber, FdJ, Antony (RW rather than CF).

I think if we are sure that Ronaldo will leave, then we'll sign someone at CF.
We need to sign another option up top whether or not Ronaldo leaves. That’s the whole point. He’s fecking 37. And we’ve lost two strikers from the squad that started last season, even if Ronaldo stays. Plus whatever Lingard was in the squad to contribute. Without replacing any of them. How can that not be a problem?!?

Teja

We need to sign another option up top whether or not Ronaldo leaves. That’s the whole point. He’s fecking 37. And we’ve lost two strikers from the squad that started last season, even if Ronaldo stays. Plus whatever Lingard was in the squad to contribute. Without replacing any of them. How can that not be a problem?!?
Yeah I agree we need to replace guys like Lingard and Greenwood (versatile attackers) but not directly Ronaldo. Neither played as CFs consistently. Ronaldo's form was fine when he played ~ a game a week. We just needed to manage his time with a rotation option so he isn't playing every game we have.

Of course we'd eventually have to replace him but it can wait until next season.

Ultimately I think it's an optimization problem - with a ~150M budget, we can't get a full Ronaldo replacement and also fix the midfield.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We had one top of the list. Nkunku. Then we acquiesced to ETHs demand and dropped all of our previously planned targets in favor of whatever he was planning.

And like many a manager before, he waltzed in thinking the squad was in better shape than it actually was and that all was peachy. So here we are.

This one's on ETH, and to some lesser extent Arnold for shifting away from the earlier plan immediately following Ole's departure. But to be fair, ETH is the kind of manager it was important to bring on at all costs.
ETH should be a caf member really

Ceteris

I am seeing posts where people are blaming Martial? Surely we haven't become this toxic as fans.

Also we need to get used to a lot more muscle injuries, our players are now running more than they have had to do in a long time, yes they have trained for it but it's still needs adjusting to

Lewnited

I am seeing posts where people are blaming Martial? Surely we haven't become this toxic as fans.

Also we need to get used to a lot more muscle injuries, our players are now running more than they have had to do in a long time, yes they have trained for it but it's still needs adjusting to
Yeah while this is definitely typical Martial, I think we're going to have to expect a lot of this throughout the season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It certainly isn't Martial's fault. It's our fault for going into a season with Martial as our first choice CF.

We've made ourselves hostages to fortune in terms of both his form and fitness. Despite having his already seven year United career to tell us that that's not a good idea.

TOKUGAWA-X

Here we go again with the Martial injury madness.

As usual he is unreliable to be our 9 for an entire season.

Hopefully the Sesko lad arrives soon.

BaguetteBoy

Remember when Ronaldo was being a nuisance because we were not showing ambition in the market? I don't want Ronaldo anymore here, but boy...a broken clock is truly right twice a day. We have no ambition as a club. None!
Actually I remember Ronaldo wanting to leave because of CL football.

Injuries happens ffs get a grip

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think we walked away because of the fees quoted. We wanted him if he was around 50M as a rotation option with Ronaldo. Not at close to 100M to start esp when we had bigger issues to fix in midfield.
That's the party line of course. We 'walked away' when we found out he'd chosen Liverpool. We can't win every transfer.

Clearly the club knew Ronaldo wanted to leave so we tried to get him, but he got pursuaded by Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.