5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replenish

What has happened to this guy? His injury record is awful in recent years.

He's a very very good player when he gets a run of games but it just never seems to happen anymore. I do hope this is just a minor injury and he can stay fit for the majority of this season. Alongside Sancho, he can be one of our most important attackers this season. I can't see Rashford, Elanga and the youth coming through being good enough so we desperately need Martial fit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You honestly couldn't make it up.
Semi fit Ronaldo, now Martial out, leaving us with 2 wingers as the whole forward line.

Meaning either Elanga has to start, or we put Eriksen or Bruno wide. But either way Rashy has to go central you'd think?

The Purley King

And this is Precisely why we can’t rely on martial.

maybe 4 people on the whole of red cafe are surprised by this turn of events

Red00012

I said give him 5 games and he’ll have picked up an injury ….I was wrong by 5 games

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
How long is he out for this time?
Edit; I’d forgotten to check elsewhere. It looks minor so he could miss only one or 2 PL games.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How long is he out for this time?
Edit; I’d forgotten to check elsewhere. It looks minor so he could miss only one or 2 PL games.
Doesnt really matter, he'll be injured again within a few weeks of coming back. Our fault really, we go into yet another season having to rely on Martial.

UnitedRepublic

Any prognosis for when he’s back ? We went back to counter attacking football without him today.

SAFMUTD

If anyone is counting on him to be our savior, don't. Don't do that to yourself.

Raven

He'll definitely improve our attack but his injuries are a huge concern.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You’re wasting your time. This bloke has some sort of voodoo on United fans, he’s not the answer to anything
Eh? You can say anything you want about Martial but if there is something you can't knock him on is that he does play in a way that is conducive to playing good link up and cohesive football in attack and Ten Hag ball fits him perfectly.

He might not score that many goals but his presence does indeed help linking up well in attack when he's on.

All those plays we watched the ball bounce off Bruno or him automatically losing the ball when he receives it with his back to goal would have been handled better by Martial.

We have too many players who can't keep the ball in Bruno, Fred, McTomminay (basically our entire midfield) and it never hurt to have someone who is tidier on the ball and has the strength to hold it under pressure with his back to goal which is something Martial provides.

It's just unfortunate he hasn't managed to stay fit at all the last 2 seasons which have largely contributed to him being mediocre last few years.

Replenish

Sorely missed. The majority of our good football in recent years has been when Martial has been involved. He's one of the few forward players who can hold up the ball and keep possession. He will be an integral part of Ten Hags team if he can stay fit, if not, I'm really not sure how we are going to dominate games or have any sort of cohesion between midfield and attack.

A fit Martial and a quality DM would see this side playing much better football.

Greck

The timing of that injury was proper gut wrenching. Stayed healthy for every preseason game just to get injured for the one that mattered. None of our attackers have really deep chemistry. Martial however links up with Bruno, Rashford and Sancho decently. If we are in the market I'd get another linkup forward.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

He's not seen in any photos or lengthy training video released by the club today. He's surely out for the weekend again. Shame his body has let him down again.

Glorio

He's not seen in any photos or lengthy training video released by the club today. He's surely out for the weekend again. Shame his body has let him down again.
Exactly what I was going to post. That said, it's unclear what day that was. Could easily have been Monday, but most probably Tuesday.

Bebe

The timing of that injury was proper gut wrenching. Stayed healthy for every preseason game just to get injured for the one that mattered. None of our attackers have really deep chemistry. Martial however links up with Bruno, Rashford and Sancho decently. If we are in the market I'd get another linkup forward.
Agreed, Martial's ability to contribute by dropping in and playing quick layoffs was key to everything we did well in preseason. I get why ETH wanted to try this with Eriksen, but the strategy loses its effectiveness when there's no threat in behind to keep the opposing CBs honest.

UnitedRepublic

The lad is injured until he’s back theres no need to put him down while he’s out. He’ll get his chance when he’s back there is no need to be going on about him being injured now it’s like people love to say I told you so even if its hurting the team come on grow up.

Oranges038

The lad is injured until he’s back theres no need to put him down while he’s out. He’ll get his chance when he’s back there is no need to be going on about him being injured now it’s like people love to say I told you so even if its hurting the team come on grow up.
Don't think anyone has suggested that, but now that you mention it, it's not the worst idea.

Chief123

I’m really intrigued to see what ETH does if Martial is fit and trains this week. Whether he has the courage to start him instead of Ronaldo against Liverpool.

Ronaldo is clearly not at the fitness level he needs to be at. For all of Martial’s weaknesses such as lack of composure in front of goal, laziness etc one thing I have no doubt about is he is a much better hold up and link player than Ronaldo is. For me there is a strong correlation in the good pre season football we had and martial playing. Sancho and Rashford had lots of positive passages of play when Martial played and linked up with them.

In all the time I’ve seen Ronaldo play as striker, he’s scored many many goals but I’ve never seen him hold the ball up well at all. Especially when he’s under pressure. It really is baffling for someone who is so strong, great physical presence and good technical ability. When he receives the ball back to goal, he seems to become so fragile and just looks to go down for a foul at every opportunity.

Anyhow, I believe Martial has the better ability to hold up the ball and in particular turn his man with the ball and drive forward. He uses his body very well to do that. At this moment in time I couldn’t care less if he misses too many big chances. At least he will start getting others around him more involved with link ups and we can actually get the ball to stick up top.

In the last 2 games, the ball just does not stick in our attack. It’s like we are waiting any second for possession to be lost and for us to face the next counter attack.

I really hope ETH has the balls to bench Ronaldo and play Martial.

Trequarista10

I’m really intrigued to see what ETH does if Martial is fit and trains this week. Whether he has the courage to start him instead of Ronaldo against Liverpool.

Ronaldo is clearly not at the fitness level he needs to be at. For all of Martial’s weaknesses such as lack of composure in front of goal, laziness etc one thing I have no doubt about is he is a much better hold up and link player than Ronaldo is. For me there is a strong correlation in the good pre season football we had and martial playing. Sancho and Rashford had lots of positive passages of play when Martial played and linked up with them.

In all the time I’ve seen Ronaldo play as striker, he’s scored many many goals but I’ve never seen him hold the ball up well at all. Especially when he’s under pressure. It really is baffling for someone who is so strong, great physical presence and good technical ability. When he receives the ball back to goal, he seems to become so fragile and just looks to go down for a foul at every opportunity.

Anyhow, I believe Martial has the better ability to hold up the ball and in particular turn his man with the ball and drive forward. He uses his body very well to do that. At this moment in time I couldn’t care less if he misses too many big chances. At least he will start getting others around him more involved with link ups and we can actually get the ball to stick up top.

In the last 2 games, the ball just does not stick in our attack. It’s like we are waiting any second for possession to be lost and for us to fact the next counter attack.

I really hope ETH has the balls to bench Ronaldo and play Martial.
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially for the Liverpool game.

I also wonder if, looking beyond the Liverpool game, ETH would consider playing Martial LW and Ronaldo CF. Martial is miles better than Rashford. The Morata link also makes me suspect ETH would like Martial LW, as signing a third striker for one position doesn't make a ton of sense when our wide options are so dismal.

Chief123

I agree wholeheartedly. Especially for the Liverpool game.

I also wonder if, looking beyond the Liverpool game, ETH would consider playing Martial LW and Ronaldo CF. Martial is miles better than Rashford. The Morata link also makes me suspect ETH would like Martial LW, as signing a third striker for one position doesn't make a ton of sense when our wide options are so dismal.
Yes right now, we are carrying a passenger on left wing every game. So I can see ETH using martial left wing because any little contribution he can produce from there will be more than we are getting right now. But I also think if martial did play striker, we would see improved levels of performance from Sancho and Rashford.

Skills

Snitch
Yes right now, we are carrying a passenger on left wing every game. So I can see ETH using martial left wing because any little contribution he can produce from there will be more than we are getting right now. But I also think if martial did play striker, we would see improved levels of performance from Sancho and Rashford.
I'd play Martial CF and Ronaldo LW. I don't think Ronaldo works as a CF, naturally he wants to drift wide or attack from a full backs blind side.

Martial brings more players into the game in the middle.

Trequarista10

I'd play Martial CF and Ronaldo LW. I don't think Ronaldo works as a CF, naturally he wants to drift wide or attack from a full backs blind side.

Martial brings more players into the game in the middle.
I like this idea. Would need the team modified behind Ronaldo to account for his lack of stamina though.

Red_toad

When's he back? Need to pre season trio up top again and maybe the 2 youngsters in midfield :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.