5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

But part of being a good teammate is being up for it, showing you care, getting others up for it by your body language. There is only negative body language from Martial on the pitch. Perhaps if he tried to show a bit more emotion he’d give himself a bit more energy to do some pressing too.
I’ve read some shit on the Internet, this belongs in the top level.

tbtt

WUM
He is injured? And now we know why he is suddenly injury prone, when he didnt use to be.
He was injury prone under Rangnick. He was injury prone at Sevilla. And now he is injury prone under ETH. They were all eager to give him chances, but he was not available, and now he's blaming previous managers? Why can't he just shut up, feel sorry for teammates and supporters, and concentrate on a quick return? Instead of finding all kinds of excuses for him, it is about time to admit he is a super virus, only comparable to Pogba and Lingard.

redIndianDevil

Martial wasn't good in 2016/2017. He had some good games but overall it was an average season. The shirt number is bullshit excuse all honestly, speaks more about him rather than anyone else. It's a trivial thing especially for a youngster whose only aim at this age should be to prove himself. If anything it's the entitled way of thinking of young players at the current era of football, they think themselves as megastars and ask for megastar's rights before achieving feck all in their career. At 20-22 years old he shouldn't really give a feck what number he wears. When he becomes a top player like Zlatan or whoever, that's when he can become entitled and care about this shit. But in this age all young players have ton of money and consider themselves superstars after one breakthrough season. Shit mentality that football clubs helped exaggerate by giving giga salary to these youngsters.

It's honestly still baffling to me that Rashford got the number 10 but that's another talk.

He's right to be annoyed about the Sanchez situation though. No complaints from me. He was playing well back then and Sanchez disrupted the team's balance by being introduced instead of both him and Rashford. Fair enough, this shouldn't have happened. Sanchez was supposed to play on the right not to replace both and Mourinho got it wrong.

But the shirt number ? Nah, bollocks.
So if Sanchez demanded shirt number would you be okay with it?
I'd love to hear from the physios. I remember Smalling also played through injuries and Mourinho even repeatedly questioned the players. Quotes like this make you wonder:

This abrasive style of management has become a regular theme at Old Trafford this season, as Luke Shaw, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Anthony Martial and a few others can testify, but it was still unusual to hear a manager question the commitment of two players who had the backing of the club’s medical staff and see how aggrieved Mourinho was that Jones, for example, had decided it was out of the question to try to run off a broken toe.

Smalling’s healing process has not been accelerated by Mourinho’s public challenges either and it did not need long in the manager’s company to understand what he made of it. Indeed, there was enough disdain in his voice to merit a follow-up question about whether it might actually persuade him to move out the players in question. Could he, after all, trust two centre‑backs when he had openly questioned their bravery?

He rejected that one but, clearly aggrieved, he also said it was a wider issue for United than merely Smalling and Jones. “It’s not just about them,” he explained. “It’s about the philosophy and mentality around them.”

Asked to elaborate, he chose three words – “cautious, cautious, cautious” – and when he was asked to clarify who, besides the relevant players, he was meaning (the suspicion being it was their agents and possibly some of the medical staff) he hinted again at a culture he did not like. “Cautious … just a cautious approach. It’s a profile, it’s the philosophy of work; just that.”

Mourinho had already stated that Smalling and Jones needed to show more courage, arguing that Marcos Rojo’s ruptured knee ligaments meant it was time “to be brave – to [take a] risk – because for the team you have to do everything”, as well as provocatively insisting that were it himself carrying the same injuries, he would have played through the pain.

It was some statement when Smalling, to put it into context, was wearing a knee brace a week ago but Mourinho’s response was withering again when he was asked whether he suspected the modern-day player was not willing to put his body on the line. “Professional football at a high level – yes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/26/paul-pogba-misses-manchester-derby-united-city
Mourinho really was a shitty human being. He is not even man enough to put his hands up for his failures but will ask young players to put their bodies and careers on the line.

MattofManchester

Will give him the benefit of the doubt and let him prove himself this season.

If not, well, then he should hopefully join Shaw on the exit list for bad mentality.

But LVG and EtH seem to have taken to him, so did Ole, so there must be a determined player there.

Pickle85

Or, more likely, people can't accept that there may be just a few more nuances to the story than their black and white "shit and lazy" narrative.
Why is that more likely? I would say it's more likely that Martial FC have him as some inexplicable fabourite and can't accept that he may be poor/lazy.

RedStarUnited

Martial wasn't good in 2016/2017. He had some good games but overall it was an average season. The shirt number is bullshit excuse all honestly, speaks more about him rather than anyone else. It's a trivial thing especially for a youngster whose only aim at this age should be to prove himself. If anything it's the entitled way of thinking of young players at the current era of football, they think themselves as megastars and ask for megastar's rights before achieving feck all in their career. At 20-22 years old he shouldn't really give a feck what number he wears. When he becomes a top player like Zlatan or whoever, that's when he can become entitled and care about this shit. But in this age all young players have ton of money and consider themselves superstars after one breakthrough season. Shit mentality that football clubs helped exaggerate by giving giga salary to these youngsters.

It's honestly still baffling to me that Rashford got the number 10 but that's another talk.

He's right to be annoyed about the Sanchez situation though. No complaints from me. He was playing well back then and Sanchez disrupted the team's balance by being introduced instead of both him and Rashford. Fair enough, this shouldn't have happened. Sanchez was supposed to play on the right not to replace both and Mourinho got it wrong.

But the shirt number ? Nah, bollocks.
The thing most of you dont get about the shirt number situation is, Jose actually asked him about it. So he also must have thought it required a conversation.

And Martial was our talisman and best player in 15/16, he wasn't some unknown kid. Zlatan was only ever coming here for like 2 seasons, you would think its better for Jose to care about the long term future of the club and talents. But Jose has never cared about the long term so I guess thats that.

Lyng

He was injury prone under Rangnick. He was injury prone at Sevilla. And now he is injury prone under ETH. They were all eager to give him chances, but he was not available, and now he's blaming previous managers? Why can't he just shut up, feel sorry for teammates and supporters, and concentrate on a quick return? Instead of finding all kinds of excuses for him, it is about time to admit he is a super virus, only comparable to Pogba and Lingard.
Rangnick and Sevilla came after Ole where he was apparently played through injury, much like Rashford.
Those injury issues began during Ole's tenure so it makes sense.

el3mel

The thing most of you dont get about the shirt number situation is, Jose actually asked him about it. So he also must have thought it required a conversation.

And Martial was our talisman and best player in 15/16, he wasn't some unknown kid. Zlatan was only ever coming here for like 2 seasons, you would think its better for Jose to care about the long term future of the club and talents. But Jose has never cared about the long term so I guess thats that.
Except he WAS a nobody. He was 19-20 years old who had one good season in his life in a shit team who had no other competition for him in the main lineup. He was still at the point of proving if he's a one season wonder or won't. Like for God's sake, people were calling Salah one season wonder after his first season with Liverpool, and took him a 2nd good season to drop these claims, but you think Martial wasn't an unknown kid ? By all accounts he had achieved feck all by this point. At this age his main objective should be only to focus on developing himself further and becoming a top player in the game, regardless of him wearing number 9 or number 242.

The fact that he thinks he's entitled to a specific shirt after only one good season in his life is a dangerously entitled mind of view that just speaks volume about how the new generation of youngsters think themselves to be. They think they're already top stars after one or two good seasons while still 19-22 years old. They earn far more money than youngsters were earning in the past.

I can't get behind this mentality. When you're a proven top player with a big cabinet trophies behind your back, that's when I can accept this shit about shirt numbers, media brand and propaganda. Not when you're a youngster who is still, literally, starting his career at the top level of football.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Exactly, it was not just the shirt number, but the disrespect. Almost as if him daring to say no to Mourinho via text was so outrageous that he pretty much made his shitlist for the rest of the year. Even if Jose felt appeasing Zlatan was more important, he could've sat down with Martial and explained to him face to face. The whole thing was handled badly.

Skills

Snitch
Except he WAS a nobody. He was 19-20 years old who had one good season in his life in e a shit team who had no other competition for him in the main lineup. He was still at the point of proving if he's a one season wonder or won't. Like for God's sake, people were calling Salah one season wonder after his first season with Liverpool, and took him a 2nd good season to drop these claims, but you think Martial wasn't an unknown kid ? By all accounts he had achieved feck all by this point. At this age his main objective should be only to focus on developing himself further and becoming a top player in the game, regardless of him wearing number 9 or number 242.

The fact that he thinks he's entitled to a specific shirt after only one good season in his life is a dangerously entitled mind of view that just speaks volume about how the new generation of youngsters think themselves to be. They think they're already top starts after one or two good seasons while still 19-22 years old. They earn far more money than youngsters were earning in the past.

I can't get behind this mentality. When you're a proven top player with a big cabinet trophies behind your back, that's when I can accept this shit about shirt numbers, media brand and propaganda. Not when you're a youngster who is still, literally, starting his career at the top level of football.
He was entitled to that shirt because it was his shirt. He had it - how fecking hard is that to understand for you wet wipes?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wasn’t the shirt number the thing of him wanting to be a striker more than a winger?

TsuWave

But part of being a good teammate is being up for it, showing you care, getting others up for it by your body language. There is only negative body language from Martial on the pitch. Perhaps if he tried to show a bit more emotion he’d give himself a bit more energy to do some pressing too.
The point is that you don't have to be smiling or doing up passion merchant to care or to be up for it. It can all be too performative.

"if he tried to show a bit more emotion he’d give himself a bit more energy to do some pressing too." - what? :confused: I can't even make sense of that sentence

Trequarista10

The shirt number thing on its own isn't the point, it's just an example and part of the broader culmination of things.

Martial viewed himself as a forward, Jose didn't. Martial felt Jose didn't value him, and that he wasn't hardworking enough. This has been documented before. We know Jose plays his mind games and tries to get a reaction out of some players, but it doesn't always go to plan - especially if the game is based on an erroneous assumption, in this case Jose thought Martial lacked the determination and workrate because he appears laid back. However, Martial is just that way naturally, and questioning his determination would only have the opposite effect. Some people need positive encouragement and belief, others need a kick up the arse - if you kick someone up the arse who needs positive encouragement, or boost the ego of someone who needs a kick up the arse, the results will be counter productive.

On playing through injury, we were short of forward options during Ole's first season, which is a failing on all levels of management, so you can see why he was pushed to play when injured. A lot of footballers play with injuries, it's a decision made by management and medical team, so you can't blame any one individual. I get the impression Martial is raising it because he believes he has more to show, and has been unfairly judged on performances when he was playing through injury. Hopefully he can show that this season. The CF position is his for the taking.

lex talionis

It's not, I suspect managers do this all the time, we just don't hear about it because players usually dont moan about it. Guarantee Martial wouldn't say anything if 1.) we won something, or 2.) Ole gave him back the undisputed 9 as soon as he got back from injury. As mentioned here many times, Mourinho forced Smalling to play and went even further and questioned him publicly about the 'injury'. He was left egg faced afterwards, but I didn't feel there was much sympathy for Smalling at the time. Glad times have finally changed, and people are now taking injuries seriously.

https://www.football365.com/news/smalling-out-for-a-month-maybe-he-was-injured-jose
I take your points well, but I would just add that for a club like United, which spends massive sums on its player wages and which can afford large squads, playing players who are injured is just a very bad idea. Rashford could barely move due to a broken back and Ole still put him on the pitch. Martial barely did move.

In any event, we‘re now in the hands of a manager who has a much better understanding of man management.

stoinz

Quite interesting to hear from his point of view, whether you agree with him or not is another matter. I personally prefer an honest take than some PR BS. Things are not always so black and white, he would have benefited from Fergie than Mourinho. Sometimes a player or rather a human being need to just vent/rant for closure before being able to move on. I hope this interview is his closure from his bad experiences, and injuries issues. This will be a new start for him.

Like it or not, this will be our squad until Jan. I hope he kicks on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Except he WAS a nobody. He was 19-20 years old who had one good season in his life in e a shit team who had no other competition for him in the main lineup. He was still at the point of proving if he's a one season wonder or won't. Like for God's sake, people were calling Salah one season wonder after his first season with Liverpool, and took him a 2nd good season to drop these claims, but you think Martial wasn't an unknown kid ? By all accounts he had achieved feck all by this point. At this age his main objective should be only to focus on developing himself further and becoming a top player in the game, regardless of him wearing number 9 or number 242.

The fact that he thinks he's entitled to a specific shirt after only one good season in his life is a dangerously entitled mind of view that just speaks volume about how the new generation of youngsters think themselves to be. They think they're already top starts after one or two good seasons while still 19-22 years old. They earn far more money than youngsters were earning in the past.

I don't really understand your point about the shirt number and entitlement. He had already been given that shirt number.

el3mel

I don't really understand your point about the shirt number and entitlement. He had already been given that shirt number.
The point is he shouldn't give a shit what number he wears at this point of his career. He hadn't achieved anything yet to start worrying about his brand name or what number his shirt holds. The only thing he should care about at this point of his career is him developing his talents and becoming a better player, not wearing 9, 11 or shit. I expect this level of entitlement from top players, not upcoming youngsters.

Footyislife

Treat our players as human beings. Imagine you were promised an office at work and all of sudden you arrive to work one day to find out they kicked you out to a cubicle and gave your office to someone else.

What made SAF a great manager is he cared about our players and served as a father figure. Moyes, Mourinho, Ole, and Ragnick were definitely not approaching the job with that level of dedication for the personnel.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The point is he shouldn't give a shit what number he wears at this point of his career. He hadn't achieved anything yet to start worrying about his brand name or what number his shirt holds. The only thing he should care about at this point of his career is him developing his talents and becoming a better player, not wearing 9, 11 or shit. I expect this level of entitlement from top players, not upcoming youngsters.
That's not how the world works. Regardless of age, if you give a player a shirt number, he grows attached to it and you withdraw the number against his wishes, he would care.

Frank White

Treat our players as human beings. Imagine you were promised an office at work and all of sudden you arrive to work one day to find out they kicked you out to a cubicle and gave your office to someone else.

What made SAF a great manager is he cared about our players and served as a father figure. Moyes, Mourinho, Ole, and Rangnick were definitely not approaching the job with that level of dedication for the personnel.
Would suck but you still get you're arse up at 7am and go to work, you don't take 3 years off collecting 250k a week....

el3mel

That's not how the world works. Regardless of age, if you give a player a shirt number, he grows attached to it and you withdraw the number against his wishes, he would care.
That's how it should work, for players at such age anyway. What he wears isn't what he should be thinking about at 19 years old.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You really think a shirt number is irrelevant to players? There are some who get extremely attached. If you're asked to give the shirt number to someone else, that gives you an illusion of choice. If you refuse, and it's still given when you come back without anybody saying anything, you will take it negatively, no matter who you are and who the shirt goes to. Athletes have big egos, that's part of what helps them become professionals, so to act like it's entitlement when it's really just human nature is dishonest. I personally like a young player who tells his manager 'no, you're not taking my number away' and shows some pride in the number and the role that's attached to that number. And in the end, he got his number back and Mourinho is somewhere in Italy. This whole 'shut up and play' attitude doesn't work in the modern age, so people really need to get with that program.

On the other hand, I really like his interview, I think he's giving fair explanations without running away from taking some of the blame. I almost never heard him speak to the press in the time he's been here, but this was a lot to unpack.

el3mel

What made SAF a great manager is he cared about our players and served as a father figure. Moyes, Mourinho, Ole, and Rangnick were definitely not approaching the job with that level of dedication for the personnel.
If I were a newbie at a job, the only think I will care about is proving myself to the bosses in work place and becoming well known, not which office I'm working in.

el3mel

You really think a shirt number is irrelevant to players? There are some who get extremely attached. If you're asked to give the shirt number to someone else, that gives you an illusion of choice. If you refuse, and it's still given when you come back without anybody saying anything, you will take it negatively, no matter who you are and who the shirt goes to. Athletes have big egos, that's part of what helps them become professionals, so to act like it's entitlement when it's really just human nature is dishonest. I personally like a young player who tells his manager 'no, you're not taking my number away' and shows some pride in the number and the role that's attached to that number. And in the end, he got his number back and Mourinho is somewhere in Italy. This whole 'shut up and play' attitude doesn't work in the modern age, so people really need to get with that program.

On the other hand, I really like his interview, I think he's giving fair explanations without running away from taking some of the blame. I almost never heard him speak to the press in the time he's been here, but this was a lot to unpack.
At this young age it's irrelevant yes.

It's fine to have big ego but he needs something to back it up. Become a top player first before starting to ask about which shirt you want to wear. At 19 years old he should only be concerned about becoming a top player, not asking for the rights of a top player.

It sucks that this attitude doesn't work anymore. That's the whole point of my posts. Today's youngsters think themselves as superstars with a specific shirt number, brand and media propaganda with a giga salary money while they are still 20 years old who achieved feck all in their career bar one or two good seasons. It was better back in the day. The current mentality of youngsters sucks.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
At this young age it's irrelevant yes.

It's fine to have big ego but he needs something to back it up. Become a top player first before starting to ask about which shirt you want to wear. At 19 years old he should only be concerned about becoming a top player, not asking for the rights of a top player.

It sucks that this attitude doesn't work anymore. That's the whole point of my posts. Today's youngsters think themselves as superstars with a specific shirt number, brand and media propaganda with a giga salary money while they are still 20 years old who achieved feck all in their career bar one or two good seasons. It was better back in the day. The current mentality of youngsters sucks.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it is now. Players have more power, therefore they have more entitlement. I personally always lean with players' power, I think they're the ones who make the game what it is, and I like to see a player expanding into other business ventures, etc as long as it doesn't impact their actual football, which it often does but we also look back on former players with rose-tinted glasses. They weren't that professional back in the days either, with the drinking, smoking, sleeping with groupies left and right, showing up to training hungover. It's not as if the old days were much better, we just didn't have social media to capture it all.

Dembeza

If I were a newbie at a job, the only think I will care about is proving myself to the bosses in work place and becoming well known, not which office I'm working in.
That is the thing though, Martial wasn’t a new signing.

MrEleson

That is the thing though, Martial wasn’t a new signing.
He was relatively new. He had only completed one season so still had a lot to prove.

He might’ve just finished his probationary period at that point if we’re making real world work comparisons.

Dembeza

He was relatively new. He had only completed one season so still had a lot to prove.

He might’ve just finished his probationary period at that point if we’re making real world work comparisons.
It really doesn’t matter.

He should have been consulted before his number was given away.

I don’t know about you, but I personally wouldn’t let what happened with Martial slide if I was him.

RedStarUnited

Except he WAS a nobody. He was 19-20 years old who had one good season in his life in a shit team who had no other competition for him in the main lineup. He was still at the point of proving if he's a one season wonder or won't. Like for God's sake, people were calling Salah one season wonder after his first season with Liverpool, and took him a 2nd good season to drop these claims, but you think Martial wasn't an unknown kid ? By all accounts he had achieved feck all by this point. At this age his main objective should be only to focus on developing himself further and becoming a top player in the game, regardless of him wearing number 9 or number 242.
Lets be honest here mate, if united for example sold Martial in the summer of 2016, more fans would have been upset at that than if we sold Rooney, Mata, Bastian etc. and all the people I have named here are serial winners with leagues, CLs and World cups to their names.

He with De Gea was our most valuable asset that summer. Dont try and rewrite history.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Let's say that the shirt number is meaningless and players should not care about it, then the logical thing was to give one of the vacated numbers to Ibra instead of taking one from a current player. Unless...

Last edited:

el3mel

Lets be honest here mate, if united for example sold Martial in the summer of 2016, more fans would have been upset at that than if we sold Rooney, Mata, Bastian etc. and all the people I have named here are serial winners with leagues, CLs and World cups to their names.

He with De Gea was our most valuable asset that summer. Dont try and rewrite history.
Yeah so ? That doesn't change the fact he was still a nobody in world football. That's not really an insult, it's the truth, he was a 19 years old boy with one good season under his belt. He was pretty much starting his career. That has nothing to do with the point you're mentioning here. The rest of the team was shit, he played a good season, no one is saying otherwise, but that doesn't make him a top player.

Let's say that the shirt number is meaningless and players should care about it, then the logical thing was to give one of the vacated numbers to Ibra instead of taking one from a current player. Unless...
We replied on that, multiple times. This shit can be understood with top players who already built up their name and have a big cabinet of trophies behind their back. I can see why they'll care about their brand. If Ronaldo throws a tantrum about not getting the number 7 shirt, I can see the logic. A 19 years old boy throwing a tantrum about his shirt number is ridiculous, on the other hand. That's not where his priorities should be. When he becomes a big name in the sport, this entitled behavior can be accepted and no one will open his mouth then.

There's also the point mentioned by some here about him wanting to keep the number 9 as he saw himself as a striker, well, that's a bit laughable, since by the end of LVG's season he was already a full left winger while Rashford had become the striker, and before Rooney was the striker. Martial wasn't actual a permanent striker in that season. He started there then replaced Depay on the left as the season went on.

RedStarUnited

Yeah so ? That doesn't change the fact he was still a nobody in world football. That's not really an insult, it's the truth, he was a 19 years old boy with one good season under his belt. He was pretty much starting his career. That has nothing to do with the point you're mentioning here. The rest of the team was shit, he played a good season, no one is saying otherwise, but that doesn't make him a top player.
Doesn't matter where you are in your career. If you go to one of the biggest clubs in the world and outperform the legends, you are not a nobody after that season. You ignored my point so il say it again, if the whole United squad was on sale in 2016, Martian would have netted us the most money. That is not a nobody to me.

Polar

You're honestly way too naive. Ultimately it's the manager's decision to play the player or not. He doesn't have to listen the physio's advice.
My point was that no manager go against the will of both the physio and the player. The manager need the accept from 1 of 2, and physio will accept play if he assess that playing doesn’t make the niggle worse.

If I don’t remember wrong it was a lot of speculations when Martial didn’t join the squad a couple of matches. Like both the manager and physio thought he was ok to play some minutes, but Martial didn’t want to play. If that was true, Martial, actually did decide himself.

I suppose Martial agreed to play when he did, and credit to him for eventually “take one for the team” if he didn’t feel 100%. Martial’s main point in my opinion is that he missed official backup from Ole when he performed badly; he wanted Ole to explain and excuse his performance, but hey, which manager go public and tells opponents his player isn’t up to full speed? A bit stupid if he have to play him some minutes next match.

Martial have to find other ways to cure his performance anxiety. A manager shouldn’t go public and excuse players performances, and neither should the player.

el3mel

Doesn't matter where you are in your career. If you go to one of the biggest clubs in the world and outperform the legends, you are not a nobody after that season. You ignored my point so il say it again, if the whole United squad was on sale in 2016, Martian would have netted us the most money. That is not a nobody to me.
I ignored it because it's not the point we're talking about. Just because the rest of the squad was shit doesn't mean Martial was anybody in world football. He outperformed past it Rooney and Bastian, big deal I guess. He just had one, one! good season in his career at this point. There're a lot of young players who completely fade away after having a bright season, so yeah, he was still a nobody that in need of proving he's not a one season wonder at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.