Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
An in form Rashford paired with a fit Martial is going to yield some goals. Looking forward to the next few games.

Please just stay fit Anthony.
Whatever the case it's so refreshing to look forward to any games seeing the team steadily improve with a set identity. That's all I ever wanted post Fergie.
The best thing Ole did was between 2019 and 2021 basically where he developed partnerships between Martial and Rashford, Rashford and Shaw, Bruno and Martial, and then Bruno and Rashford. We played out best football thanks to those guys. Now that we have an actual system, that's something that Ten Hag can actually use to build off of. Martial in up top and you already have all these players that click naturally. Just get a RW who clicks with them (I'm sure either Sancho or Antony would click quite well with Martial, and we'll be cooking. Hell martial already has an assist for Antony within like 10 minutes of playing with him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How long before his next injury?
10 minutes into the next game he starts. We really need him to stay fit and then we’ll easily finish top 4… him and rashford when both on form are unstoppable.

Waynne

The best thing Ole did was between 2019 and 2021 basically where he developed partnerships between Martial and Rashford, Rashford and Shaw, Bruno and Martial, and then Bruno and Rashford. We played out best football thanks to those guys. Now that we have an actual system, that's something that Ten Hag can actually use to build off of. Martial in up top and you already have all these players that click naturally. Just get a RW who clicks with them (I'm sure either Sancho or Antony would click quite well with Martial, and we'll be cooking. Hell martial already has an assist for Antony within like 10 minutes of playing with him.
Very encouraging signs indeed.

Lots of good things to look forward to. Can't say I've been this optimistic about United for a good while.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would love to see if he can fulfill his world class potential under ten Hag. If there is one manager that is perfect for Martial is ten Hag.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just hope he's fit for the second half of the season. I don't particularly have expectations for him to contribute over the coming weeks. We really should bring in an alternate CF so that our system isn't so hugely impacted by his absence.

Bwuk

Really has to prove himself now.

I don’t think we’ll buy a striker in January.

romufc

Hopefully he is not selected for France so he can work on his fitness and get back for the busy January period.

We need him, he has done more in the time he has played this season than Ronaldo has all season for us on the pitch.

sugar_kane

It's scary how much hope we're placing in this guy. He's the most wildly inconsistent member of our squad, and one where there is a clear mentality issue.

He's riding the wave of a good pre-season, and a handful of good performances this season but does anyone really think he can keep that up (provided he can even stay fit)

His goal per season average (all comps) excluding this season and the one at Seville is 13, scoring one in every 3 games, and that's skewed by the anomalous season where he somehow scored 23.

That's not even a small sample size, it's six seasons worth of data.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Keep your negativity for when he actually performs awfully this season otherwise you're just rehashing the same boring essays written in this thread.

Raven

It's scary how much hope we're placing in this guy. He's the most wildly inconsistent member of our squad, and one where there is a clear mentality issue.

He's riding the wave of a good pre-season, and a handful of good performances this season but does anyone really think he can keep that up (provided he can even stay fit)

His goal per season average (all comps) excluding this season and the one at Seville is 13, scoring one in every 3 games, and that's skewed by the anomalous season where he somehow scored 23.

Most wildly inconsistent player in our squad. Do bore off, we've had nothing but inconsistency from all of our player for almost a decade.

Greck

So what's a realistic solution from now till the window opens?

Rake

Has he been named in the French WC squad? Or will he be taking it easy for the next couple of weeks after this one?
The squad will supposedly be announced on the 9th. France are kinda stacked in attacking positions, so it is quite possible that he won't be selected.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Keep your negativity for when he actually performs awfully this season otherwise you're just rehashing the same boring essays written in this thread.
Most wildly inconsistent player in our squad. Do bore off, we've had nothing but inconsistency from all of our player for almost a decade.
This and this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The squad will supposedly be announced on the 9th. France are kinda stacked in attacking positions, so it is quite possible that he won't be selected.
Won't go to the world cup, France have enough talent in attack.
Sweet. Can’t see any reason not to take a chance on his fitness tomorrow so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

The anomalous season is the cause for optimism. It is for me anyway. Him and Rashford have shown the potential to work very well together. Obviously Martial doesn’t seem to have the stones to excel with big names competing for his place in the team but given the perfect circumstances… I mean we can all see how talented he is.

Pickle85

They're not wrong, in fairness. Very few of ours have flattered to deceive as regularly as Tony. On song he's good but the reality is that's been very infrequently.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
They're not wrong, in fairness. Very few of ours have flattered to deceive as regularly as Tony. On song he's good but the reality is that's been very infrequently.
He hasn't even flattered, never mind deceived for about 2 and a half years but he's shown plenty in every game he's played since the start of pre season. We're giving everyone a chance to show what they've got under the new regime. Get with the programme.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He hasn't even flattered, never mind deceived for about 2 and a half years but he's shown plenty in every game he's played since the start of pre season. We're giving everyone a chance to show what they've got under the new regime. Get with the programme.
Pretty much this. Not hard to understand.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok, now you’re making me overthink that phrase. What does it even mean? Who’s flattering who?

Real_Knut

The anomalous season is the cause for optimism. It is for me anyway. Him and Rashford have shown the potential to work very well together. Obviously Martial doesn’t seem to have the stones to excel with big names competing for his place in the team but given the perfect circumstances… I mean we can all see how talented he is.
I agree that that season, along with other great periods and games he's had, is reason for optimism. I'll freely admit that I always tend towards optimism though.

I am not sure "having stones" is the problem with Martial. When United signed him, I read a long feature on him and his former coaches all said that he was a very laid-back character. One said something along the lines of him having the attitude of "If I play well and score, that's good. If I don't...well,there's the next game." I took that to mean he is not a person who will buckle down and be hell-bent on making things happen for him. It seems to me, he has struggled in the past to be in the right place mentally but that when he is, he performs very well.

Would SAF have been able to get him firing more consistently? I think so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I agree that that season, along with other great periods and games he's had, is reason for optimism. I'll freely admit that I always tend towards optimism though.

I am not sure "having stones" is the problem with Martial. When United signed him, I read a long feature on him and his former coaches all said that he was a very laid-back character. One said something along the lines of him having the attitude of "If I play well and score, that's good. If I don't...well,there's the next game." I took that to mean he is not a person who will buckle down and be hell-bent on making things happen for him. It seems to me, he has struggled in the past to be in the right place mentally but that when he is, he performs very well.

Would SAF have been able to get him firing more consistently? I think so.
Yeah, as soon as I wrote that I was wondering if I was being too harsh. Agree it’s not necessarily lacking the stones. But it does seem like his head game is what needs most work.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Sometimes players suit differently with different managers. One quick glance and you see Martial is suited to ETH hence why he's looked good whenever he's played under this new regime. It's pretty obvious to me that he'll strive under Ten Hag and there hasn't been any reason for me to believe otherwise. Martial biggest hurdle under Ten Hag will be battling injuries because if he can't stay fit then everything else is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.