Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAF is the GOAT

A question for all of you :
Do you prefer to bring a permanent striker instead of Wout OR sell Martial and bring a striker instead of him and make Wout the second striker ?

I'll just add that Martial is on 250Kp/w
And his contract is until 2024

Last edited:

meamth

Do you prefer to bring a permanent striker instead of Wout OR sell Martial and bring a striker instead of him and make Wout the second striker ?
Sign Wout, keep Martial for now (nobody will put a bid on him), sign a big budget striker (wonderkid/or proven) and we're settled.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Sell Martial.

His track record has shown that generally he can’t be relied on as a starter and his attitude when not being a starter is questionable at best.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Even though I rate Martial highly when he's fit, we simply can't rely on him to be available. So the latter option is definitely the right one. However I do wonder if we'll keep both Martial and Wout (or another similar player) and they can compete to be second choice behind the new guy. We may not get enough for Martial to make it worth selling him.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

It will be difficult to sell Martial in the form he's in and with his contract running out soon. He's the better player but can't be relied upon even coming from the bench. Wout is on loan and I don't see us keeping him past this season unless he will start scoring goal after goal.
So probably we will need 2 ST's in the summer.

Peelhead

Thats an odd one. Sounds like Martial’s absence isn’t always due to injury? If true then ETH will bin him in the summer. Unless there’s something gone amiss in communicating his thoughts.

Could be that Martial isn’t comfortable with playing at 70 per cent due to last season.
Sounds worryingly like the comments regarding another of our high profile absentees. :-/

Tbf, I personally don't think Martial has been totally focused on his career with us for some time now and feel a move would be best for both.

Greck

None of these options even need Wout. He is doing a great job in a modest stopgap role without necessarily being permanent United player quality. In a full summer window we could easily upgrade both if we decide to go down that route. As for martial really like his skillset but his unavailability is getting too much to bear. Don't think he can even be healthy enough to be a reliable backup striker. We should get a new starting striker and another versatile forward that can fill in at striker. Plans for next summer should not pivot on Martial or Wout being integral.

Last edited:

Olecurls99

I think Wout would be a perfect backup 9. I had big hopes for Martial this season but he hasn't been around. We need to move on. A reliable top striker will have us properly challenging for the title.

Shame it can't be him because he has the talent.

crossy1686

career ending
So he's not injured? I had a theory that Martial himself is ruling himself out of games with 'injury' or tightness in his muscles because he's scared of getting injured again for a long period. His new contract and the Sanchez signing are up there with the biggest failures of the Woodward/Glazer clown show.

Real Name

Thats an odd one. Sounds like Martial’s absence isn’t always due to injury? If true then ETH will bin him in the summer. Unless there’s something gone amiss in communicating his thoughts.

Could be that Martial isn’t comfortable with playing at 70 per cent due to last season.
Yeah, definitely sounds like some of it wasnt an injury but the player himself wasnt ready or thought he wasnt ready which is worrying.

crossy1686

career ending
I think Wout would be a perfect backup 9. I had big hopes for Martial this season but he hasn't been around. We need to move on. A reliable top striker will have us properly challenging for the title.

Shame it can't be him because he has the talent.
Weghorst is great backup for under £10m if we can get him. Martial however does not have the talent to be anything other than what he is right now, this is his ceiling. He can't play more than one game in 7 days and he is too inconsistent. He'd be better suited to playing for someone in the top 6, not the top 4.

romufc

I thought about the same thing.

I was actually thinking surely we can get £30m for Martial, do that and sign a top ST, giving Wout the backup ST role. I think that would work really well.

crossy1686

career ending
I thought about the same thing.

I was actually thinking surely we can get £30m for Martial, do that and sign a top ST, giving Wout the backup ST role. I think that would work really well.
After the Sevilla stint, where he managed only 9 games and failed to score a single goal, we'll be lucky to get £10m for him on his wages. He's hardly pulling up tree's here also. A swap deal for Weghorst would be good business but Burnley won't pay him £250k a week.

romufc

After the Sevilla stint, where he managed only 9 games and failed to score a single goal, we'll be lucky to get £10m for him on his wages. He's hardly pulling up tree's here also. A swap deal for Weghorst would be good business but Burnley won't pay him £250k a week.
His wages are a big issue. Players values can change. We were saying sell Rashford for 40m last summer, now he is worth over 100m.

Lynty

I’ve been a big Martial fan but it’s a shame he’s proved to be so unreliable despite many chances. He’s almost unsellable unfortunately.

Maybe someone in Italy or France will take a punt for £15m - £20m, based on his current wages and injury record.

I’d say he’s good value at that price point, so would there be any point in selling? We need to get his wages down though.

RuudTom83

Weghorst has taken the pressure off Martial. I wonder if Tony will be more/less available now that the manager isn’t solely relying on him.

Aint gota Kalou

Nobody is going to give us a transfer fee with his wages being that high. Our best bet is to try and play him back into fitness, I have faith he will perform if he ever gets a proper run of games.
Either way next season we cannot be relying on him and we should see it as a bonus if he is available.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Nobody is going to give us a transfer fee with his wages being that high. Our best bet is to try and play him back into fitness, I have faith he will perform if he ever gets a proper run of games.
Either way next season we cannot be relying on him and we should see it as a bonus if he is available.
Why?

he has had that plenty of times- he isnt the man for the long term here.

spiriticon

Between Jones and Martial, I don't know how many millions in wages we've pissed down the loo.

I hope we have good insurance coverage for those two.

el3mel

Selling someone like Martial isn't as easy as people are making it out to be. We didn't manage to sell Pogba and got awful offers for him despite Pogba being supposedly a high profile player.

el3mel

Wout is really showing us how lazy Martial is in fact, the difference in workrate and hunger is huge. Don't miss him that much, although a second striker in the squad would be nice.
Wout hasn't done anything significant at all bar scoring a goal against Nottingham Forest. You're making the same mistake as the majority: overrating any new player after one good performance and thinking that he had already solved our problems. Any time he touches the ball, people will act like he's doing miracles by just being able to hold it well. Give it few months of this and as usual, the fans will turn on him.

United fans overrate new players pretty quickly then get surprised when they end up not doing as much as they thought they would.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Wout hasn't done anything significant at all bar scoring a goal against Nottingham Forest. You're making the same mistake as the majority: overrating any new player after one good performance and thinking that he had already solved our problems. Any time he touches the ball, people will act like he's doing miracles by just being able to hold it well. Give it few months of this and as usual, the fans will turn on him.

United fans overrate new players pretty quickly then get surprised when they end up not doing as much as they thought they would.
Well, he's turned up for matches regularly which is more than what Martial does.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Yes, the past 8 years of underperforming have shown us that he is up to the task.

croadyman

Sign Wout, keep Martial for now (nobody will put a bid on him), sign a big budget striker (wonderkid/or proven) and we're settled.
This looks a real possibility in the summer because people aren't taking a punt on injury prone player that's for sure. I am interested to know where that trouble started

Telsim

We don’t seem to be missing the man of glass all that much, although it’s shame we’re shoveling 250k/week into the furnace.
Of course we don't miss him. Before Weghorst arrived, people got it in there heads that we played better with Martial on the pitch because of his own abilities. No, we played better because we had an actual striker upfront to do a striker's job, even if it was just Martial and did the minimum required of his role. There was no other alternative. Now we have another striker and we play just as well. Imagine how much better it would be with a top draw striker instead? I have nothing personal against Martial, it is unfortunate what's happened to him, but it's time the club and him parted ways. Something that is many years overdue. The main issue with that, of course, is his ridiculous salary.

SAFMUTD

Selling someone like Martial isn't as easy as people are making it out to be. We didn't manage to sell Pogba and got awful offers for him despite Pogba being supposedly a high profile player.
All the problem are the wages. He's paid as a top striker when he's not one and on top of that he has an awful injury record. Only top clubs can pay top wages and they wouldn't touch him with a stick that leaves only medium and small clubs who can't afford his wages so it pretty much ends in loan deals with us paying part of them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Wout is not a new player to me, I have watched him for years.

He has huge limitations but also huge strenghts, Martial currently hasnt got any.

Peelhead

Wout is not a new player to me, I have watched him for years.

He has huge limitations but also huge strenghts, Martial currently hasnt got any.
I agree, if I was a manager I'd be struggling to justify to buy Martial, I don't know what 'angle' I'd use to pitch it.
Injuries, attitude, performance, wages, it's all unappealing imo

Valencia Shin Crosses

Of course we don't miss him. Before Weghorst arrived, people got it in there heads that we played better with Martial on the pitch because of his own abilities. No, we played better because we had an actual striker upfront to do a striker's job, even if it was just Martial and did the minimum required of his role. There was no other alternative. Now we have another striker and we play just as well. Imagine how much better it would be with a top draw striker instead? I have nothing personal against Martial, it is unfortunate what's happened to him, but it's time the club and him parted ways. Something that is many years overdue. The main issue with that, of course, is his ridiculous salary.
We don't play just as well, and people didn't just "get it in their heads" the fecking manager himself commented on multiple occasions as well as Martials output in very limited minutes for the first half of the season was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.