5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

My point was that no manager go against the will of both the physio and the player. The manager need the accept from 1 of 2, and physio will accept play if he assess that playing doesn’t make the niggle worse.

If I don’t remember wrong it was a lot of speculations when Martial didn’t join the squad a couple of matches. Like both the manager and physio thought he was ok to play some minutes, but Martial didn’t want to play. If that was true, Martial, actually did decide himself.

I suppose Martial agreed to play when he did, and credit to him for eventually “take one for the team” if he didn’t feel 100%. Martial’s main point in my opinion is that he missed official backup from Ole when he performed badly; he wanted Ole to explain and excuse his performance, but hey, which manager go public and tells opponents his player isn’t up to full speed? A bit stupid if he have to play him some minutes next match.

Martial have to find other ways to cure his performance anxiety. A manager shouldn’t go public and excuse players performances, and neither should the player.
Managers can go against the will of both the physio and the player. He has the final decision in if the player plays or not, not the physios, and certainly not the player. They can advice him but he's not in any obligatory need to listen to them.

sherrinford

Managers can go against the will of both the physio and the player. He has the final decision in if the player plays or not, not the physios, and certainly not the player. They can advice him but he's not in any obligatory need to listen to them.
Don't be silly - players obviously have the final say on if they are able to play or not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We replied on that, multiple times. This shit can be understood with top players who already built up their name and have a big cabinet of trophies behind their back. I can see why they'll care about their brand. If Ronaldo throws a tantrum about not getting the number 7 shirt, I can see the logic. A 19 years old boy throwing a tantrum about his shirt number is ridiculous, on the other hand. That's not where his priorities should be. When he becomes a big name in the sport, this entitled behavior can be accepted and no one will open his mouth then.

There's also the point mentioned by some here about him wanting to keep the number 9 as he saw himself as a striker, well, that's a bit laughable, since by the end of LVG's season he was already a full left winger while Rashford had become the striker, and before Rooney was the striker. Martial wasn't actual a permanent striker in that season. He started there then replaced Depay on the left as the season went on.
So you are saying that it does matter. The issue with here is that you are trying to play both sides, it doesn't matter when it suits you and it matters when it doesn't. Personally I don't see why a manager would take a number and give it to an other player, it's silly and disrespectful especially when the player receiving that number isn't particularly linked to it. It's pretty easy to understand why a player would see it negatively when there is no sense to the change.

redIndianDevil

Except he WAS a nobody. He was 19-20 years old who had one good season in his life in a shit team who had no other competition for him in the main lineup. He was still at the point of proving if he's a one season wonder or won't. Like for God's sake, people were calling Salah one season wonder after his first season with Liverpool, and took him a 2nd good season to drop these claims, but you think Martial wasn't an unknown kid ? By all accounts he had achieved feck all by this point. At this age his main objective should be only to focus on developing himself further and becoming a top player in the game, regardless of him wearing number 9 or number 242.

The fact that he thinks he's entitled to a specific shirt after only one good season in his life is a dangerously entitled mind of view that just speaks volume about how the new generation of youngsters think themselves to be. They think they're already top stars after one or two good seasons while still 19-22 years old. They earn far more money than youngsters were earning in the past.

I can't get behind this mentality. When you're a proven top player with a big cabinet trophies behind your back, that's when I can accept this shit about shirt numbers, media brand and propaganda. Not when you're a youngster who is still, literally, starting his career at the top level of football.
Its not about the age or experience or what he has achieved. On the pitch a 35+ year old multiple title winning Zlatan is equal to a 20 year old kid. I don’t know about you all but I’d be miffed if I’m asked to vacate my perks for someone new in my office. It clearly shows a lack of respect seeing that the new guy is yet to start the job.

el3mel

So you are saying that it does matter. The issue with here is that you are trying to play both sides, it doesn't matter when it suits you and it matters when it doesn't. Personally I don't see why a manager would take a number and give it to an other player, it's silly and disrespectful especially when the player receiving that number isn't particularly linked to it. It's pretty easy to understand why a player would see it negatively when there is no sense to the change.
No, you're the one inventing things out of your mind (as usual). I have never said it matters. It doesn't matter but I can understand it when it comes from a big name in the sport and not from a youngster starting his career. The priorities for both are different. If you don't get the point, it's not really my problem at this point.

el3mel

Don't be silly - players obviously have the final say on if they are able to play or not.
Not really, no ? If the manager decides the player would play the game, no one can veto his decision. He's the freaking manager, for one. He has authority over the players and the entire coaching stuff.

JPRouve

Scout
No, you're the one inventing things out of your mind (as usual). I have never said it matters. It doesn't matter but I can understand it when it comes from a big name in the sport and not from a youngster starting his career. The priorities for both are different. If you don't get the point, it's not really my problem at this point.
We are going to do something here, I have avoided you for these kind of things so we have two options you either change your attitude or we are going to have a personal problem.

el3mel

We are going to do something here, I have avoided you for these kind of things so we have two options you either change your attitude or we are going to have a personal problem.
You're the one who started.

Personal problem ? :lol: You realize that we both don't even know each other's names, right ?

Skills

Snitch
ITT: Walkovers who've spent their lives rimming arse to pay their dues in order to 'make it'

JPRouve

Scout
You're the one who started.

Personal problem ? :lol: You realize that we both don't even know each other's names, right ?
So the bolded part is not personal? At the very least assume what you say. And since I usually invent things don't quote me.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I wonder what people would say if McT or a young player like Garner had 1-2 good seasons and then we brought Casemiro or FdJ and they wanted their number. And McT and Garner were not happy with it.
Wonder who most people would side with. Side with the better more proven players and calling McT and Garner spoilt players or the other way round.
Yeah it could have been handled better by Jose but it’s hardly a big deal. And definitely not worth mentioning 5 years later.

el3mel

So the bolded part is not personal? At the very least assume what you say. And since I usually invent things don't quote me.
Again, you're the one who started it with the earlier post, so don't ride the moral high ground, as for me not quoting you again, works fine for me. That's the last time, and it's honestly better this way. You too don't quote me again, as well.

JPRouve

Scout
It makes little to say that it doesn't matter and then use the status of players and justify a potential request based on who had more success. By doing that you justify the idea that it matters and that it can be some sort of reward for past achievements. Basically it doesn't matter but it matters, both sides of the fence are played.

If it didn't matter, the manager wouldn't meddle and no player would lose or gain a shirt number. I don't necessarily agree with that and don't think that it should be a big deal but the reality is that it is a big deal.

MrEleson

Its not about the age or experience or what he has achieved. On the pitch a 35+ year old multiple title winning Zlatan is equal to a 20 year old kid. I don’t know about you all but I’d be miffed if I’m asked to vacate my perks for someone new in my office. It clearly shows a lack of respect seeing that the new guy is yet to start the job.
But this happens all the time? Didn’t Lewandowski just come in at Barca and strip the #9 off Depay’s back with no questions asked? Depay didn’t seem to complain and he’s far more established now than Martial was back then. Instead, he seems to have got on with his football like any normal professional would.

If we’re really making these real world work comparisons we have to acknowledge that there is a hierarchy that people abide to.

This situation would be like the young graduate in the work place that was given a nice/big work space to work in for a year but was then told to vacate the space for the new senior/director level personnel that has just been hired. Would the junior complain in this scenario? He clearly doesn’t have the same standing or isnt as important to the company (yet) as the new guy coming into a higher role.

Smores

Just confirmed his weak ass mentality to the world and for no real reason. I hope he holds himself together to have a half decent season but we can't have that in our team. He needs to mature and take responsibility or go somewhere with less pressure.

I remember discussions last season (and prior) that our players have a nasty habit of a couple of good performances and claiming we/they are back. We need higher standards and stronger mentality.

Foxbatt

It's the fact that Jose took it from him and when he knew it was when he came back to the club and found Jose had already changed it. That's not done.
Ole also could have said that Anthony had a niggling injury but he played. Nothing wrong with saying that. In fact he should have protected Martial when all the fans were on his back .
I understand where Martial is coming from. He told Ole that he is not fully fit but Ole told him that he needs Martial to play and when Martial couldn't deliver Ole didn't protect him from any of the criticism he faced.

Foxbatt

So the reason of his 5 years bad form was because a shirt number, even more ridiculous.

The guy for all his talk is too lazy on the pitch even Sevilla fans are jeering him. Let that sink in.
No. He was playing well when Sanchez was bought and immediately Jose dropped him. Sanchez was poor all the time he was here and even then most fans complained about it. Obviously when he lost his place at United he lost his place in the French side too and missed the WC.
When Ole came he started playing decent and then got injured for I think a long time. He says he played when asked by Ole even though he was injured.

Threesus

This guy has been terrible for at least 2 seasons now. Better to sell him, rashford and the like and move on.

And can our players please stop taking and start performing on the pitch. You never hear anything from players at city or liverpool.

OmarUnited4ever

IMO, Jose showed too much deference to Ibra when he stripped the shirt number from Martial, yes no one is entitled to anything except for respect, and Jose disrespected Martial in that case, at first he asked him if he is okay with giving up the shirt number, Martial said no, Jose should've left it at that, if we believe what we are told in the media, Ole asked Cavani to give up the No.7 shirt to Ronaldo, and Cavani agreed to that request, I am not giving credit to Ole or anything here, it's the common sense to do in terms respecting those around you, whether they are big name player or a youngster, Jose didn't show any respect to Martial.

As for his other comments, well, let's hope his injuries are behind him, he needs to come good this year, Ten Hag will definitely give him opportunities and play him in his preferred position as a striker, he had a good pre-season but was injured against A.Madrid and then against Liverpool in the league, that is just unfortunate, but once he fit, he has to perform to his maximum best.

sherrinford

Not really, no ? If the manager decides the player would play the game, no one can veto his decision. He's the freaking manager, for one. He has authority over the players and the entire coaching stuff.
Yes, definitely. Is the manager going to drag an injured player onto and around the pitch? What a ridiculous stance on this matter.

el3mel

Yes, definitely. Is the manager going to drag an injured player onto and around the pitch? What a ridiculous stance on this matter.
Yes, because the manager has the authority over him. If he wants to play him while injured, tell me one legit thing that will stop him.

redIndianDevil

But this happens all the time? Didn’t Lewandowski just come in at Barca and strip the #9 off Depay’s back with no questions asked? Depay didn’t seem to complain and he’s far more established now than Martial was back then. Instead, he seems to have got on with his football like any normal professional would.

If we’re really making these real world work comparisons we have to acknowledge that there is a hierarchy that people abide to.

This situation would be like the young graduate in the work place that was given a nice/big work space to work in for a year but was then told to vacate the space for the new senior/director level personnel that has just been hired. Would the junior complain in this scenario? He clearly doesn’t have the same standing or isnt as important to the company (yet) as the new guy coming into a higher role.
Barcelona did everything to get rid off Depay this summer so that one doesn’t work. Plus Depay is yet to open up on his Barca experience, so God knows what he went through so far.

Again your senior/junior example is not applicable in team sports because on the football pitch the entire playing 11 is equal regardless of what position they play or how old/experienced they are.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Player going to Dubai.
That happened after said player was also played whilst injured (for 120 minutes against a league one(?) side in a domestic cup game) which resulted in said player having an injury which kept him out for half a season after

bimalos

Anthony Joran Martial is a great player. He is not performing well in past because he didn't get a high-quality coach but now united has a quality coach and trusts him. It is only a matter of time before he will return to his best

Glorio

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some of the posts :lol:

Ffs manager can't drag an injured player and no he doesn't have authority to play injured player. It's on player to make that decision, things are not black and white. Decesion depends on lot of factors.

Glorio

Some of the posts :lol:

Ffs manager can't drag an injured player and no he doesn't have authority to play injured player. It's on player to make that decision, things are not black and white. Decesion depends on lot of factors.
Agreed.

On of the factors the player would definitely consider though is losing favour with the manager. So while a manager can't drag an injured player on the pitch, he could well create an environment where the player feels he has no choice.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The injury stuff is interesting and - in isolation - would make me very optimistic that he could turn his career at United round.

The shirt number stuff is pathetic and torpedoes that optimism. Injuries heal. Mental frailty tends to persist.
Pretty much my view on the situation

Real Name

I can understand him saying he played with injury, and its not the first time we heard something like that happening under Ole, but the number stuff is just plain silly. Let it go Anthony ffs.

little.triangles

I don't know why people think the shirt number stuff is pathetic. It absolutely points to Mourinho's bad people skills - he went to the trouble of asking Martial if he was okay with it, and then when told no, he went away and gave the number to Ibra anyway. It would have been better if Mourinho had not asked at all but simply ordered the change.

One of Fergie's celebrated skills was how he dealt with different players differently. Remember that story about how he wanted to criticize Nani but picked on Giggs at halftime instead to make his point? You will always have players with different personalities, and a good manager knows how to tailor his management. For a player as talented as Martial, it would be worth it to take a soft approach, something which Mourinho has always been incapable of - and why he is now at Roma via Spurs.

antk

There's a dissonance with people saying the number issue doesn't matter when Mourinho himself thought it mattered enough to address it.

Real Name

I don't know why people think the shirt number stuff is pathetic. It absolutely points to Mourinho's bad people skills - he went to the trouble of asking Martial if he was okay with it, and then when told no, he went away and gave the number to Ibra anyway. It would have been better if Mourinho had not asked at all but simply ordered the change.

One of Fergie's celebrated skills was how he dealt with different players differently. Remember that story about how he wanted to criticize Nani but picked on Giggs at halftime instead to make his point? You will always have players with different personalities, and a good manager knows how to tailor his management. For a player as talented as Martial, it would be worth it to take a soft approach, something which Mourinho has always been incapable of - and why he is now at Roma via Spurs.
I dont think it's the issue if Mourinho handled that well which he obviously didnt but the fact Martial still holds a grudge over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.