5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

Footballers have to be somehow pragmatic about things. That's the nature of a footballer.

Every single player in the squad can't get their will at all times, and if you do get your will it means you truly have worked your way up and proven yourself a lot.

The interviews seems very "what about me?!"-ish. Taking the victim-role quite a lot. Just let the legs and performances speak, please. A PR own goal if you ask me.

mu4c_20le

Some of the posts :lol:

Ffs manager can't drag an injured player and no he doesn't have authority to play injured player. It's on player to make that decision, things are not black and white. Decesion depends on lot of factors.
Says clearly in one of the articles that Phil Jones refused to play through a broken toe and it annoyed Mourinho. But it's easier for the Jose cult to ignore such facts.

There's a dissonance with people saying the number issue doesn't matter when Mourinho himself thought it mattered enough to address it.
The number was already his. Apparently he's entitled if he has something to say about it when they go behind his back, and his wishes, to take it away from him.... because of his age or something.... :annoyed:

I'll never understand Jose cult logic

Handré1990

Still holds a grudge and seems to think it somehow excuses poor performances at the time.
Maybe he needs to believe it to move on? A few of the things he pointed out was on point imo. That season where him and Rashford were competing for a spot is as fired up as I’ve seen any of them, enter the piano playing Sanchez…

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Says clearly in one of the articles that Phil Jones refused to play through a broken toe and it annoyed Mourinho. But it's easier for the Jose cult to ignore such facts.

The number was already his. Apparently he's entitled if he has something to say about it when they go behind his back, and his wishes, to take it away from him.... because of his age or something.... :annoyed:

I'll never understand Jose cult logic
At a very basic level I don't understand the logic either. If the player isn't supposed to care or be upset about it then why the manager and the other player are trying to take the number, they should also not care and therefore don't try to take the number away, it's not as if it was the only number. And if shirt numbers do matter then taking it away, is a meaningful action. We can't have it both ways.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Found it a bit hypocritical that he agreed he was 20 and young and yet implied he should have dibs on a shirt number over Zlatan
Sure let dismiss someone because they're young. It's okay to disrespect them because they're young and shouldn't have a voice.

The Siege

It was very evident that Rashford was being forced to play with an injury under Ole at several points, so I'm fairly certain the same can be true for Martial. Ole had to do a lot of things out of desperation, especially post the Lukaku-isn't-the-right-striker phase, and this is well within the realms of what's possible.

The number giving away thing wasn't handled well, but I also think it's something Martial's holding onto for too long.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sure let dismiss someone because they're young. It's okay to disrespect them because they're young and shouldn't have a voice.
He was given the 11 and started early on for Jose. In what way is he disrespected? Zlatan was bought to play IN the 9 position for fecksake. In what world did Martial have a right over Zlatan, who came in and smashed 28 goals that season in the 9?

Lyng

Its an interview. He was asked about his injuries and his form etc. And he answered. Yes he spoke out against Mourinho and Ole. And I think thats fine. He didnt take shots at the club. If Ten Hag is okay with this interview then so am I.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
He says Jose asked him first? If his opinion wasn't needed then he could have just been told his kit number was being changed, and I doubt there'd be too much fuss. But Jose reached out to ask him first, and then when he said no, changed it anyway.
Does no one see the problem with this?

el3mel

You would make an absolutely horrendous manager. Of course players can refuse on the grounds of injury.
Yeah they can refuse alright. Still needs the manager to agree to not play him. If he refuses and the manager still wants to play him regardless , there's only one way here.

phelans shorts

Yeah they can refuse alright. Still needs the manager to agree to not play him. If he refuses and the manager still wants to play him regardless , there's only one way here.
You’re really just being absolutely clueless. If any manager even contemplated this the PFA would absolutely crucify them. After the player just never enters the field of play because they’re under no obligation to do do if they’re not fit to play.

phelans shorts

He says Jose asked him first? If his opinion wasn't needed then he could have just been told his kit number was being changed, and I doubt there'd be too much fuss. But Jose reached out to ask him first, and then when he said no, changed it anyway.
Does no one see the problem with this?
If my manager did something of a similar note I’d become an absolute nightmare to be around because I’d be so pissed off at the disrespect.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was very evident that Rashford was being forced to play with an injury under Ole at several points, so I'm fairly certain the same can be true for Martial.
And Pogba, Lindelof, and Maguire. As @Relevated posted a few pages back and @Glorio on the previous page -- Ole is very much a manager who pushed players to play through injuries through medication/injections etc. I'm sure many managers do this at times, but the number of first team players who did this under Ole suggests he was very 'old-school' in this, and was very reliant on players pushing through the pain barrier/red-zone, and for most of those, it had very adverse effects.

It's a really awkward precedent for a player. People can say rather glibly that a manager cannot physically force a player to play -- obviously. But in practice, when said manager has asked one of your teammates to play through a back or a hip injury, or one of your other teammates has played a full 120 minutes with an ankle injury, it's a difficult call for a player to just go "hmm sorry boss, I'm not fully fit and I need to sit out". It's a shitty scenario.

Raven

At this young age it's irrelevant yes.

It's fine to have big ego but he needs something to back it up. Become a top player first before starting to ask about which shirt you want to wear. At 19 years old he should only be concerned about becoming a top player, not asking for the rights of a top player.

It sucks that this attitude doesn't work anymore. That's the whole point of my posts. Today's youngsters think themselves as superstars with a specific shirt number, brand and media propaganda with a giga salary money while they are still 20 years old who achieved feck all in their career bar one or two good seasons. It was better back in the day. The current mentality of youngsters sucks.
You're an absolute broken record. He was our best outfield player at the time, he should have been shown more respect.

antk

No he can't. However he can tell him to shut up and play. Tell me that he doesn't have the authority to do that?
He literally doesn't, as it would be illegal as feck. He can ostracize the player though and that's exactly what has seemingly happened with Mourinho and multiple players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No he can't. However he can tell him to shut up and play. Tell me that he doesn't have the authority to do that?
There is a difference between having the actual authority to do that (which the manager doesn't) and being in a position of power to then make things very difficult for that player if the player says no (which the manager does).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was given the 11 and started early on for Jose. In what way is he disrespected? Zlatan was bought to play IN the 9 position for fecksake. In what world did Martial have a right over Zlatan, who came in and smashed 28 goals that season in the 9?
Mourinho coming in and instantly stripping a player of their shirt number (despite the player saying he wanted to keep it) is absolutely terrible man-management. It might be somewhat understandable if the new player is incredibly strongly linked to that specific number (such as Ronaldo or Beckham with #7), but that certainly wasn't the case here. In the last twelve years Zlatan has only worn #9 for three years, and two of them were when he was in America. In fact he's only worn that number for four and a half years in the last seventeen years. Meanwhile he's worn #11 five years, #10 five years, #8 three years, #18 once, #21 once and #49 once. Obviously he couldn't care less and it was only Mourinho's decision. So if the shirt number is important enough for Mourinho to care about, why shouldn't the player actually using that number care?

Foxbatt

I think some people are either deliberately trying to misstate what Martial said or not understanding it. He has no issues with him Ole asking him to play when injured. His issue is that when he could not deliver while playing injured, and the press and the fans got on his back for that, Ole did not defend him and threw him under the bus. By not defending him that is literally throwing him under the bus.
The issue with Jose was that Jose asked him. and he said no, Jose still changed it. I know the manager has the authority to change it and `Jose should have told him that he is changing it no matter what Martial thinks about it. But Jose did not and Martial only found out when he returned to the club and when he went to the locker room.

el3mel

You’re really just being absolutely clueless. If any manager even contemplated this the PFA would absolutely crucify them. After the player just never enters the field of play because they’re under no obligation to do do if they’re not fit to play.
You and the others are the ones who are way too naive, thinking the world moves in a 1+1=2 direction. A lot of players play through injuries. We have seen it multiple times before. We have seen a lot of players aggravate their injuries due to returning to the pitch way sooner than they should. You can't be believing the doctors are always incompetent and clearing the players to play sooner than when they actually could every time. Managers rush players into returning and playing through injuries all the time. It's in their right to do so.

phelans shorts

You and the others are the ones who are way too naive, thinking the world moves in a 1+1=2 direction. A lot of players play through injuries. We have seen it multiple times before. We have seen a lot of players aggravate their injuries due to returning to the pitch way sooner than they should. You can't be believing the doctors are always incompetent and clearing the players to play sooner than when they actually could every time. Managers rush players into returning and playing through injuries all the time. It's in their right to do so.
Hang on, you’re trying to move the goalposts here (no surprise, you’ve clearly realised you were wrong)

That is done with players agreement. You said players cant say no to the manager, which is bollocks.

el3mel

Hang on, you’re trying to move the goalposts here (no surprise, you’ve clearly realised you were wrong)

That is done with players agreement. You said players cant say no to the manager, which is bollocks.
Except no I didn't ? Bring one sentence in my post that says I believe it involves players agreement.

The manager is the boss. It's ultimately his decision if you play or not.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So the reason of his 5 years bad form was because a shirt number, even more ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous as your conclusion from all that he said in his interview. :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
5 years full of excuses.
Who cares, the guy is speaking his version of the events, something he's never done so the whole 'full of excuses' falls flat on its face. You can look at it as excuses, I see it as someone who's giving his side of the story and isn't keeping himself out of the equation when it comes to responsibility. What's your excuse for acting like it's all about his shirt number when that has very little with what was actually his issue since, you know, he wound up being one of the best players on the team even with his number 11. You're acting as if he wasn't one of the best performers that's been at the club in his time here. Have you looked at the rest of your squad during that time? What's their excuse?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who cares, the guy is speaking his version of the events, something he's never done so the whole 'full of excuses' falls flat on its face. You can look at it as excuses, I see it as someone who's giving his side of the story and isn't keeping himself out of the equation when it comes to responsibility. What's your excuse for acting like it's all about his shirt number when that has very little with what was actually his issue since, you know, he wound up being one of the best players on the team even with his number 11. You're acting as if he wasn't one of the best performers that's been at the club in his time here. Have you looked at the rest of your squad during that time? What's their excuse?
Rashford was unfairly benched instead of Lukaku and then he broke his back and was still selected by the manager. Funnily enough, many of our players have similar "excuses".

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Rashford was unfairly benched instead of Lukaku and then he broke his back was still selected by the manager. Funnily enough, many of our players have similar "excuses".
Yep, and neither of them have looked the same since their break-out season. They don't move the same, they don't attack the same. Martial will always have that silky touch to carry the ball, but we've all noticed he hasn't been taking players on as much as he used to until very recently. And then he got hurt again.

What just astounds me with some of these United fans is that they're acting as if Tony's been dragging them down as if United hasn't been an absolute mess since he's been here. Meanwhile, I don't think you can find 3 players that performed better than he has in the time he's been here, and on the offensive side it's really him and Rashford. Granted, the bar isn't set very high, but there are way more names to be looking at before throwing Martial's name under the bus. His inconsistency and habit of being injured is undoubtedly a huge negative aspect of his career, but in the time he's been fit, there hasn't been many players better than Martial for United.

sherrinford

And the player can tell him no. It's the player who physically takes to the field, ultimately they have the authority to decide whether or not they do so.

liman

Yes, sounds downright silly and doesnt help his case one bit. On the contrary.
He has an ego of Ronaldo for someone whose biggest achievement in football was having ballon d'or in his clause

Not even good enough for sevilla

Last edited:

Lyng

What a drama queen
That is incredible unfair. He has always kept his head down and never complained in public. Now in an interview he is finally opening up and answering the questions honestly, and suddenly he is a drama queen?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Except no I didn't ? Bring one sentence in my post that says I believe it involves players agreement.

The manager is the boss. It's ultimately his decision if you play or not.
Nah, not a single manager will field a player who is cleared by the medical team, but says he still isn't fit or has pains. The manager might try to convince him or force him, but ultimately it will be players choice. Did you ever seen a manager refusing to sub a player who is showing he needs one? As been said, the manager does have ways to make a life for such player more diffucult going forward though.

Ultimately and in broader sense, you will have players who will play through pain (Keane, Rooney, Rashford also...) and some of those who will not if they are not feeling 100% what was the case with Saha. One of the reasons why Keane probably holds a grudge over Fergie as he was always there to play and basically run himself into the ground along with shortening his career only to get kicked out in such manner.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
is he fit or what?

I never thought i'd say this but we need him to play instead of Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.