Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I was most let down by Martial's hold up play today. When you are playing the lone striker role you need to be able to keep the ball and bring others in. Today the ball bounced off him. It's one thing not scoring but, if you are going to fire blanks, you have to help others score. That didn't happen today.
Which is precisely why he's not and never has been a lone striker, his game is running with the ball, holding it up and feeding others is not his skillset

BarryWinks

A shame what is going on with Toney, would have backed him to make light work of a competition with Martial for the lone striker position. Put Toney up there today and we score in the first half, have generally better holdup play, even give us an exit with longballs. Shame he's probably looking at a lengthy ban with the betting shenanigans.

InfiniteBoredom

Was proper shite today, not at the races at all physically. There were a few instances where usually he would swivel and hold the ball up effortlessly but botched it due to being sluggish/not strong enough.

Hopefully it’s just one of those games, not him catching whatever mysterious illness that plagued the defenders.

Threesus

We need him, Sancho and Antony to come good, and soon. These one man attacks in the years past have not allowed us to rotate properly and have led to players being injured.

200 million on wingers and we are still relying on Bruno and rashford to do something. Hope that changes for the rest of the season.

Raven

Which is precisely why he's not and never has been a lone striker, his game is running with the ball, holding it up and feeding others is not his skillset
Holding it up and feeding others is usually his strongest skill.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Holding it up and feeding others is usually his strongest skill.
Are we talking about the same player :confused:

It's a lack of these skills that has us scrambling around for a no.9 and apparently being linked to players that shouldn't be within a 100 miles of Old Trafford

rooney2009

He holds up the ball well and is a very good team player
He seems to have lost his ruthlessness in front of goal though but I have faith that he will come good again

BlueHaze

Club needs to get rid of him. Completely mediocre career here. Offers very little nowadays and seems constantly injured and unfit.

Conor

It used to be that every time he got the ball you would be excited, now he just does nothing with it. Even if he plays well, he's just a different player now.

crossy1686

career ending
He holds up the ball well and is a very good team player
He seems to have lost his ruthlessness in front of goal though but I have faith that he will come good again
I don’t, I firmly believe this is the best of Martial. He may score 15 goals in a good season, 10 in an average season but he’ll spend a bunch of months injured and he’ll go missing for large sections of most games like today.

OrcaFat

He generally plays better off the bench if he gets 20-30 mins. Could still be a useful squad player after we sign a new forward (which we absolutely need to do asap).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am against protecting players and i don't mind bashing/praising them. But blimey, Rashford, Martial and De Gea treatment is absurd. When they deliver they are among the best on PL but after one bad/average game they became "squad players at best".

Member 101269

I am against protecting players and i don't mind bashing/praising them. But blimey, Rashford, Martial and De Gea treatment is absurd. When they deliver they are among the best on PL but after one bad/average game they became "squad players at best".
Martial isn't in the same bracket as DDG and Rashford; Martial having one good game is rare

El Jefe

I said after last game that unfortunately there are two types of Martial. The version returning from an injury that is rusty and lacking in timing and sharpness and is always a second behind the play. Unfortunately by the time he's played himself into the good version, an injury is right around the corner.

In short Martial is not reliable. He will always have days like today but on his day is a big asset to this team. With him as the only striker in the team we are asking not to make top 4.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think he just needs to play himself back into full match fitness after being out a couple times this season. He still looks a bit heavy and rusty to me.

AndySmith1990

It's hardly one game is it. Martial's value had sunk so low he was sent out on loan and everyone wanted rid of him

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's hardly one game is it. Martial's value had sunk so low he was sent out on loan and everyone wanted rid of him
I am talking about this season. After pre season he was solution for our problems, perfect player for ETH's system and then after today he is squad player at best.

Member 101269

I am talking about this season. After pre season he was solution for our problems, perfect player for ETH's system and then after today he is squad player at best.
behave, after preseason fan boys called him the Solution

OrcaFat

He might be.

He just has to keep earning his place every week and, hopefully, will have to be playing well enough to keep out our new signing (whoever that may be). I hope he does but it would be nice to think we’ll get someone of the sort of quality and productivity that will make it tough for him.

Marwood

Well unless you happen to know him personally, I'd say that is pure speculation, at best.
Well he's been playing like that for years now. So if its not by choice, if its not because that's how he thinks the game should be played, what else could it be?

Longshanks

He is and has always been a mercurial talent, somedays he is a beast but he has far too many meh performances like today.

So frustrating because it feels like it comes from a lack of mental application a bit like Pogba, just doesn't seem 100% up for the fight wants it to easy.

He wasn't awful today did some good things but the bad outweighed the good and he really can't afford that.

Grande

That’s not really true. He has done so alot. He has a brilliant first touch, strength to hold off someone, and technique to execute precise passes in small space. Hestarted well today, but came into a bad groove were nothing came off. Biggest problem is his head dips after a few botched situations. His personlity seems a far cry from hunting fifty stray balls in case one turns into a goal, that’s his biggest deficit as a no 9 to me. Hold up and build up play he normally has.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He's not good enough and it's been obvious for the past three-four years. No aggression, work rate, consistency, striker instinct.

Now is time to stop hoping he turns the corner and give his spot to somebody who will perform the role properly.

OrcaFat

Looks unfit for some reason I hope he gets back to his best soon.
Possibly that’s the problem. If he can get injury free and fully match fit we might see the performances we’re hoping for. “Hope” is pretty much all we have but let’s not give up.

OrcaFat

He's not good enough and it's been obvious for the past three-four years. No aggression, work rate, consistency, striker instinct.

Now is time to stop hoping he turns the corner and give his spot to somebody who will perform the role properly.
No doubt we need to sign a top striker. Until then we have to trust ETH and might as well hope for improvement from Martial while we’re at it.

DickDastardly

He is and has always been a mercurial talent, somedays he is a beast but he has far too many meh performances like today.

So frustrating because it feels like it comes from a lack of mental application a bit like Pogba, just doesn't seem 100% up for the fight wants it to easy.

He wasn't awful today did some good things but the bad outweighed the good and he really can't afford that.
This.

In order to win anything, you need players able to put consistent 6/10 or 7/10 performances every single match.

We can't have them playing blinders then stinkers.

That was Paul's biggest problem and it's also Tony's biggest problem.

One game he's playing batshit crazy football, next game he's back to dogshit.

Just give me a striker or two to put in 6/10 every game and we're up there winning the league.

Threesus

This brought me back to good times man.Please watch this and tell me if Martial is at the level of Man Utd. This guy has not been good since the Europa league semi against Sevilla two and a half years ago.

I really hope we go all out in the summer and get a striker worthy of our club.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Could be worse. We could have signed the donkey from Liverpool who can’t finish his dinner.

poleglass red

Problem with Martial is he takes a while to get his match sharpness back post injury, by the time he does finally get it back, he will most likely get injured again, and the process starts again. He doesn't offer enough when he is stuggling. Players like Tevez and Rooney had their struggles at times but at least they competed and challenged, Martial not at 100% is like playing with a man down. At this point it doesn't look like we will sign a striker in Jan, so the ETH comments are obviously an attempt by him to make Martial feel wanted as we are probably stuck with him until end of season. Let's hope that works and we get a performance out of him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.