Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rashford undoubtedly played long periods of games when injured.
Bur Martial? He's repeatedly missed games here and there for years hasn't he?
It was him missing games that first allowed a kid Rashford in.
Marial missed few games due to injury until 19/20(7 games in 4 years), things went wrong from that point.

Stadjer

Rashford undoubtedly played long periods of games when injured.
Bur Martial? He's repeatedly missed games here and there for years hasn't he?
It was him missing games that first allowed a kid Rashford in.
Im just going off an interview that Martial gave where he basically said that if Ole asked him to play games he did. Even if he could hardly run. As you say, Rashford played games while not totally fit because Ole asked that of him. That does make me believe Martial his claims about playing while injured and not able to run are true. There is a precedent.

Martial might have had some fitness issues in the past with missing games during the season but it has never been as bad as it is now. He played half a game and is injured for (atleast) the next two.

UnitedRepublic

We need him end of story no debating he is needed until the summer as a starter and there after as a squad player/first teamer depending on If he can stay fit and stay consistent.

We need squad depth and he’ll do a job as a LW and as a striker even as a second striker in Brunos position incase we bring in a more robust box to box player to play with Casemiro. He’ll be here at the start of next season no doubt about that.

His injuries are killing me though I thaught that they would be gone by the end of the world cup but he keeps getting injured and we don’t even know the severity of his injuries.

AshRK

We will never win anything big till he is around. The guy is just a slightly more available version of phil jones. You just cannot rely on players like him. He goes missing for months , comes back and does well in his come back game, only to have more dud games and then getting injured.

He will again come back in pre season and score some and.people will forget about his poor show. Rinse repeat cycle shall happen. Just let him go and get a proper number 9 and a proper back up.

SAFMUTD

Marial missed few games due to injury until 19/20(7 games in 4 years), things went wrong from that point.
I wonder what happened, most of his injuries are either muscular or knocks. It's not like he's struggling with his ankles or knees. It's like he suddenly became injury prone it's really weird.

Anyway he's not even good enough to be starting and having a back up option who's not available most of the time it's pointless. He should be gone in the summer but due to the lack of depth I think he'll stay another year. His contract runs out on summer of 2024. I don't think we'll offer him an extension.

Skills

Snitch
I wonder what happened, most of his injuries are either muscular or knocks. It's not like he's struggling with his ankles or knees. It's like he suddenly became injury prone it's really weird.

Anyway he's not even good enough to be starting and having a back up option who's not available most of the time it's pointless. He should be gone in the summer but due to the lack of depth I think he'll stay another year. His contract runs out on summer of 2024. I don't think we'll offer him an extension.
Solskjaer

InfiniteBoredom

It’s a cascading effect. When you play injured and don’t heal properly, it leads to weaknesses in other area as the body compensates for and affect you most unexpectedly. I had persistent, even debilitating shoulder pain a few years back and it was my posture and weak core that caused it, for Martial, it could be a number of issues, especially his long injury was on his knee.

OGS fecked us for a long time with his tenure and this is just one aspect of it. It’s not a mystery that all of Rashford, Pogba and Martial developed long term fitness issue under him. The first seems to have put it behind him but unfortunately the latter two show no signs of coming back from it, unless you believe that it’s their flakey French attitude that caused the injuries.

Reactions: Fortitude

SAFMUTD

Solskjaer
How? I've seen many posters claiming Ole feck up Martial. How playing him through injuries make him suddenly become injury prone? That doesn't sound right. He could have got worse injuries sure but to suddenly became incapable of staying fit because he played some games over a year ago injured?

SAFMUTD

It’s a cascading effect. When you play injured and don’t heal properly, it leads to weaknesses in other area as the body compensates for and affect you most unexpectedly. I had persistent, even debilitating shoulder pain a few years back and it was my posture and weak core that caused it, for Martial, it could be a number of issues, especially his long injury was on his knee.

OGS fecked us for a long time with his tenure and this is just one aspect of it. It’s not a mystery that all of Rashford, Pogba and Martial developed long term fitness issue under him. The first seems to have put it behind him but unfortunately the latter two show no signs of coming back from it, unless you believe that it’s their flakey French attitude that caused the injuries.
I don't know about that I'd expect the medical department to fix it. I get with a normal person who doesn't get professional treatment and one injury tends to cause several other injuries but a professional player?

I'd expect the medical department to fix it say hey you need to change this or that in order to get completely healthy. I mean they're worth millions of pounds get checked every week by top physicians Id expect them to easily identify this type of problems.

InfiniteBoredom

I don't know about that I'd expect the medical department to fix it. I get with a normal person who doesn't get professional treatment and one injury tends to cause several other injuries but a professional player?

I'd expect the medical department to fix it say hey you need to change this or that in order to get completely healthy. I mean they're worth millions of pounds get checked every week by top physicians Id expect them to easily identify this type of problems.
Our medical department is so bad that Evra played here for 7 years and they never diagnosed his egg allergy.

And even if they do, there’s little they could do if the manager, with the consent of the player, play him injured anyway. Think Rooney playing with an injection after breaking his metatarsal in 2010.

ash_86

How the feck can we win anything if this our Main striker's injury record just this season.

Skills

Snitch
Our medical department is so bad that Evra played here for 7 years and they never diagnosed his egg allergy.

And even if they do, there’s little they could do if the manager, with the consent of the player, play him injured anyway. Think Rooney playing with an injection after breaking his metatarsal in 2010.
They could if they were empowered to do so. We're just archaic in the way we're run - so there's nobody actually looking out for the clubs interest beyond the tenure of the current manager.

InfiniteBoredom

They could if they were empowered to do so. We're just archaic in the way we're run - so there's nobody actually looking out for the clubs interest beyond the tenure of the current manager.
I doubt there’s any club in the world where the medical department can overrule both the manager/head coach and the player in question. Maybe if there’s a direct line to the DoF, but haven’t to date seen any club with that kind of policy. The only thing we know is managers do regularly play injured players, in some cases even bragging about it i.e Mourinho, and that practice is prevalent not just at Utd.

croadyman

Why haven't we looked into his injury problems when it first started back in 2017

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Isn’t it funny how we get a new ST and he suddenly gets injured. Does he not like competition?

InfiniteBoredom

Isn’t it funny how we get a new ST and he suddenly gets injured. Does he not like competition?
He started a grand total of 3 league games prior to arrival of said ST, but sure, it was the fear of ex Burnley and Besiktas striker Wout Weghorst that sidelined him.

r1z3mu

SeasonInjuryDaysGames
22/23Back Injury
10-Oct-22​
31-Oct-22​
21 days
6​
22/23Achilles Irritation
23-Aug-22​
26-Sep-22​
34 days
5​
22/23Hamstring Injury
31-Jul-22​
18-Aug-22​
18 days
2​
21/22Muscle Injury
21-Feb-22​
9-Mar-22​
16 days
3​
21/22Knee Injury
4-Dec-21​
13-Dec-21​
9 days
3​
21/22Fitness
15-Oct-21​
29-Oct-21​
14 days
3​
20/21Ruptured knee ligament
29-Mar-21​
2-Aug-21​
126 days
14​
20/21Hip Injury
11-Mar-21​
20-Mar-21​
9 days
3​
19/20Thigh Muscle Strain
25-Aug-19​
20-Oct-19​
56 days
9​
18/19Influenza
29-Apr-19​
11-May-19​
12 days
1​
18/19Knee Injury
18-Mar-19​
29-Mar-19​
11 days
18/19Groin Strain
13-Feb-19​
10-Mar-19​
25 days
6​
19/20Influenza
26-Jan-19​
2-Feb-19​
7 days
1​
18/19Ill
23-Dec-18​
30-Dec-18​
7 days
2​
19/20Hamstring Injury
6-Dec-18​
14-Dec-18​
8 days
2​
19/20Muscular problems
21-Aug-18​
31-Aug-18​
10 days
1​
17/18Thigh Problems
26-Feb-18​
12-Mar-18​
14 days
2​
16/17Head Injury
19-Sep-16​
26-Sep-16​
7 days
2​
15/16Hamstring Injury
22-Feb-16​
29-Feb-16​
7 days
3​
13/14Sprained Ankle
19-Dec-13​
23-Jan-14​
35 days
5​

JPRouve

Scout

Medical departments can't fix everything and it's one of those things that they often can't. The only thing that you can do is not play, try rehabilitation and hope, otherwise you end up in a load management situation. If you damage/weaken tendons , cartilages or muscle groups, it may be irreversible.

croadyman

Medical departments can't fix everything and it's one of those things that they often can't. The only thing that you can do is not play, try rehabilitation and hope, otherwise you end up in a load management situation. If you damage/weaken tendons , cartilages or muscle groups, it may be irreversible.
Was he maybe rushed back too often under managers and now damage has been done

Valencia Shin Crosses

Tbh someone that grows prone to muscular injuries is just going to be that way no matter what a medical staff tries. You'd be better off breaking a bone or something.

Valencia Shin Crosses

On Martial... I've officially given up. I do think at his best a few years ago he was brilliant and criminally maligned because people had made their mind up about his facial expressions/play style/whatever else and were determined to never change their minds. That being said, whatever happened in the past couple years has turned him into a complete crock that can't get through 90 minutes these days, and no matter how much better we are with him on the pitch that's just not a player you can afford to place any sort of importance on in the squad.

The bigger issue is that if we bin him off too, then we now have to get not just one but 2 strikers off of the market along with our other needs, and as we all know that striker market is incredibly thin already.

JPRouve

Scout
Was he maybe rushed back too often under managers and now damage has been done
It could be that. But people need to keep in mind that any ligament sprain can lead to long term instabilities or pains, those can and generally lead to compensations, muscular and/or postural, which can lead to pains or other injuries. The same applies to shorten ligaments due to scar tissues. Some of these things can be fixed for the average joe but won't for a professional athlete because the answers can be invasive surgery or lead to an early retirement.

Martial said that he played through injuries for a long time, it could be a cause of his recent injuries but it could also be one injury that was treated adequately but still led to long term issues. Also some diets are linked to inflammations, that could be a cause if he has pains but no trauma or orthopedic issues.

PS: I'm not claiming anything just sharing broader thoughts on the topic of recurring injuries or pains.

croadyman

It could be that. But people need to keep in mind that any ligament sprain can lead to long term instabilities or pains, those can and generally lead to compensations, muscular and/or postural, which can lead to pains or other injuries. The same applies to shorten ligaments due to scar tissues. Some of these things can be fixed for the average joe but won't for a professional athlete because the answers can be invasive surgery or lead to an early retirement.

Martial said that he played through injuries for a long time, it could be a cause of his recent injuries but it could also be one injury that was treated adequately but still led to long term issues. Also some diets are linked to inflammations, that could be a cause if he has pains but no trauma or orthopedic issues.

PS: I'm not claiming anything just sharing broader thoughts on the topic of recurring injuries or pains.
Why were we letting him play through injuries

JPRouve

Scout
Why were we letting him play through injuries
I don't know but the same thing happened with Maguire, McTominay, Herrera, Pogba, Rashford and at least Lingard. I don't know what the rational was outside of these players being starters at the time.

croadyman

I don't know but the same thing happened with Maguire, McTominay, Herrera, Pogba, Rashford and at least Lingard. I don't know what the rational was outside of these players being starters at the time.
Yeah like I said in earlier post it needs investigating properly which hasn't happened by the looks of things

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Not that I want to see him in the starting lineup, but his injury record have always been shocking since he joined. And his injuries are getting even worse every season.

I fully expect him to leave in the summer. Can't have such a liability in the team and I'm pretty sure EtH thinking the same.

lex talionis

No surprise at all. Martial has been dealing with niggling injuries since his arrival — is it now 8 years? There’s nothing to do about it at the moment but we should look to move him on this summer, although his astronomical wages will make that difficult.

croadyman

On Martial... I've officially given up. I do think at his best a few years ago he was brilliant and criminally maligned because people had made their mind up about his facial expressions/play style/whatever else and were determined to never change their minds. That being said, whatever happened in the past couple years has turned him into a complete crock that can't get through 90 minutes these days, and no matter how much better we are with him on the pitch that's just not a player you can afford to place any sort of importance on in the squad.

The bigger issue is that if we bin him off too, then we now have to get not just one but 2 strikers off of the market along with our other needs, and as we all know that striker market is incredibly thin already.
Would go for one of Kane/Osimhen,if not then down to next tier of Vlahovic/Sesko AND get Thuram on free (IF still available)

InfiniteBoredom

No surprise at all. Martial has been dealing with niggling injuries since his arrival — is it now 8 years? There’s nothing to do about it at the moment but we should look to move him on this summer, although his astronomical wages will make that difficult.
His injury record is freely available online, and no, he missed a total of 7 games in his first 4 seasons. That’s literally half of his career here. In 18/19 he was still good until, you guessed it, OGS came in, and he had a groin injury during the first leg of the PSG match. Had some issues during 19/20 but were available most of the time, and by his own admission, played the first 4 months of 20/21 injured, until he was out of the team and got the knee injury. Been crocked ever since.

You can say that it doesn’t matter now, he’s still a crock, but ‘Martial has always been injury prone’ is just another myth to add to the already quite sizeable list of myths about him.

lex talionis

His injury record is freely available online, and no, he missed a total of 7 games in his first 4 seasons. That’s literally half of his career here. In 18/19 he was still good until, you guessed it, OGS came in, and he had a groin injury during the first leg of the PSG match. Had some issues during 19/20 but were available most of the time, and by his own admission, played the first 4 months of 20/21 injured, until he was out of the team and got the knee injury. Been crocked ever since.

You can say that it doesn’t matter now, he’s still a crock, but ‘Martial has always been injury prone’ is just another myth to add to the already quite sizeable list of myths about him.

I accept that correction and acknowledge that Martial has been frequently out with injury for only the last four seasons. Only four seasons of being more or less permanently out with injury, whether playing through it or sitting out matches.

jem

Not that I want to see him in the starting lineup, but his injury record have always been shocking since he joined. And his injuries are getting even worse every season.

I fully expect him to leave in the summer. Can't have such a liability in the team and I'm pretty sure EtH thinking the same.
really? How many games did he miss due to injury in the LVG/Mourinho years?

el3mel

Thinking about it, the kid has literally 3 good seasons at most in United shirt in 8 years period, that included a failed loan move with Sevilla

2015/2016, 2017/2018 and 2019/2020 are the only 3 good seasons I can think when it came to him. Other seasons were just sporadic good performances mixed with crap ones.

You wouldn't believe he's supposed to be a veteran now. I bet in many people's mind he's still a growing up kid due to how awful he has mostly been.

Talent alone doesn't do it, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.