5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

Martial has left me confused. I thought I had some understanding of him. I thought that, barring constant injuries, he'd thrive on being the undisputed number 9, because previously it had seemed that his confidence couldn't withstand competition. But even when fit and the clear choice as our 9, he puts in quite a few lazy, sub par performances.

It's time to give up.
Who made up that he cant stand competition? What exactly is this based on? Didnt Martial win the competition for the left wing spot against Rashford? Only to be dumped because Mourinho bought Sanchez?

His problem really is that he gets injured after playing some football. That is a huge problem but being lazy, not smiling enough, not talented enough or not being able to cope with competition are just some things someone made up one day and it started to get a following. His injury problems are enough of a reason to want him out, i really dont think some made up problems will need to be dragged into it as reasons to want him gone.

Idxomer

Being silly? I'd give him away for free and throw in a free ride to his destination just to get his wages off the books. The phrase "stealing a living" was made for him.
United will have to pay him off in that case so you're not getting any wages off the book.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Martial wrecked himself. His pace was on its way out before the injuries started. He stopped being able to beat a man from the wing years ago.

From the outside it's often the players you suspect are a bit lazy, probably not the best trainers, that get the most injuries.

I'm not saying always, I'm sure there are plenty of very dedicated professionals that are just unlucky.

But I've gone from having sympathy for all injury prone players to questioning why them. What are they doing or not doing to be so injury prone.
That's madness. There is nothing that suggests he is fault for being injury prone. If someone is truly privy to what he's been doing 24/7 then thay assessment would make sense but to just blame him for something he's the one who suffers the most from is crazy talk.
The amount of fans who talk as if they have special insights on players will always amuse me.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
SeasonInjuryDaysGames
22/23Back Injury
10-Oct-22​
31-Oct-22​
21 days
6​
22/23Achilles Irritation
23-Aug-22​
26-Sep-22​
34 days
5​
22/23Hamstring Injury
31-Jul-22​
18-Aug-22​
18 days
2​
21/22Muscle Injury
21-Feb-22​
9-Mar-22​
16 days
3​
21/22Knee Injury
4-Dec-21​
13-Dec-21​
9 days
3​
21/22Fitness
15-Oct-21​
29-Oct-21​
14 days
3​
20/21Ruptured knee ligament
29-Mar-21​
2-Aug-21​
126 days
14​
20/21Hip Injury
11-Mar-21​
20-Mar-21​
9 days
3​
19/20Thigh Muscle Strain
25-Aug-19​
20-Oct-19​
56 days
9​
18/19Influenza
29-Apr-19​
11-May-19​
12 days
1​
18/19Knee Injury
18-Mar-19​
29-Mar-19​
11 days
18/19Groin Strain
13-Feb-19​
10-Mar-19​
25 days
6​
19/20Influenza
26-Jan-19​
2-Feb-19​
7 days
1​
18/19Ill
23-Dec-18​
30-Dec-18​
7 days
2​
19/20Hamstring Injury
6-Dec-18​
14-Dec-18​
8 days
2​
19/20Muscular problems
21-Aug-18​
31-Aug-18​
10 days
1​
17/18Thigh Problems
26-Feb-18​
12-Mar-18​
14 days
2​
16/17Head Injury
19-Sep-16​
26-Sep-16​
7 days
2​
15/16Hamstring Injury
22-Feb-16​
29-Feb-16​
7 days
3​
13/14Sprained Ankle
19-Dec-13​
23-Jan-14​
35 days
5​
This is pretty definitive, there was a massive change starting in the second half of 18/19.

croadyman

We’ll never know why it all wet wrong for Martial, but his collapse is more than just about injuries. Even when fit, he put in some pretty languid performances. Asking why doesn’t matter any longer.

It seems as though his contract ends in 2024 and if that’s the case of course it would be optimal to sell him but no one will pick up that contract, so might as well use him as a second or third choice CF whenever he’s fit again. But we have to bring in a proper striker, regardless of what would do to him psychologically.
Was he rushed back too much under Ole and now seemingly can't shake off injuries. Surely someone in the medical staff needs to look into what the hell happened

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is pretty definitive, there was a massive change starting in the second half of 18/19.
The same trend applies to Shaw, Rashford, Lingard or Pogba. You could also add the likes of Herrera, Matic and Lindelof. For all of them you have a mix of muscle injuries and articular injuries that start around 18/19.

Though it could be coincidental because for example in the case of Pogba it really started with a bad challenge that he received.

InfiniteBoredom

So are you saying Pogba gave his all for UTD 100% effort - if you are then thats idiotic. As good as he is / was - he had no heart for UTD. Prem was too tough for him, back to Juve or France where its easier....
Pogba fans - jesus christ!!
I’m not a Pogba fan actually, didn’t follow him in the youth team and Juve the first time around, wasn’t arsed when he left the first time either, and my posting history can attest to that (think i made <10 posts in his performance threads over the years, but I could be wrong). However, from all accounts, I have no reason not to believe that he behaved well professionally, at least in regard to his teammates and in training/matches, the constant noises about his contract situation were another matter. He was just a very hard player to fit in tactically and the price tag created unhealthy expectations, which made an uneasy relationship with the fans. And with all that said, if you discount the price tag and just look at the performances alone, I don’t think anybody who isn’t blinded by dislike towards the player can refute that he was one of the better performers throughout his time here. His last season here was bad though, because he was more or less already perma crocked like Martial is now, throw in a team in disarray and the fact that he was running down his contract, so it’s understandable that you think he gave up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's not his fault he's injury prone and on his day he's a good player, but we should really be selling him in the summer.

Marwood

This isn’t aimed at you in particular, but this is something fans are actually very mediocre at. EtH made a point on multiple occasions to praise Martial for his pressing ability, but reading this forum for years, the common refrain is he is lazy or bad at it. He copped an unholy amount of shit for the 1st half against City in the matchday thread and his player performance thread, but the moment he went off for the outwardly more hardworking, frenetic Antony, they walked all over us until the introduction of Garnacho. A player not busting a gut, running around like a headless chicken all the time is not necessarily lazy, even though the other style is more endearing to the fans, everybody loves a trier and all that.

Which is why I brought up the 17/18 Rashford v Martial comparison, two players with nearly identical offensive and defensive output, but one is praised for his energy while the other is lambasted for his demeanor/effort.
But sometimes, when a player looks lazy, its because he is.

If you doubt eyes and brains I'm pretty sure the stats are there on Martial to back this
up. He's a lazy player statistically as well as on the eye test.

As well as a bit of brain pressing requires hard running. Its a prerequisite.

That's madness. There is nothing that suggests he is fault for being injury prone. If someone is truly privy to what he's been doing 24/7 then thay assessment would make sense but to just blame him for something he's the one who suffers the most from is crazy talk.
The amount of fans who talk as if they have special insights on players will always amuse me.
It's based on 8 years watching the guy week in week out. I've watched him lose a yard of pace by the time he was 23, before the injuries. Only one explanation for that.

I can't remember the last time I saw him and thought that's a top level athlete at peak fitness. Again only one explanation.

I've watched him mope on the pitch, put in minimal effort, only come alive when he thinks there's something on offer. Be the very opposote of alert.

For sure this is just an opinion, I could be wrong.

But none of the above says to me this is a player who really puts it in onbthe trainimg pitch. A player determined to do what it takes to get his body in the best shape it can be.

And just to finish, for many years, I was a big fan of his.

lex talionis

Was he rushed back too much under Ole and now seemingly can't shake off injuries. Surely someone in the medical staff needs to look into what the hell happened
The club should do supporters a solid and explain in more detail what these injuries are.

As for Ole, it's not hard to imagine that he did rush Martial back. Ole absolutely rushed back Rashford and Maguire, which essentially ruined their seasons.

croadyman

The club should do supporters a solid and explain in more detail what these injuries are.

As for Ole, it's not hard to imagine that he did rush Martial back. Ole absolutely rushed back Rashford and Maguire, which essentially ruined their seasons.
Yeah they definitely should do that

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But sometimes, when a player looks lazy, its because he is.

If you doubt eyes and brains I'm pretty sure the stats are there on Martial to back this
up. He's a lazy player statistically as well as on the eye test.

As well as a bit of brain pressing requires hard running. Its a prerequisite.

It's based on 8 years watching the guy week in week out. I've watched him lose a yard of pace by the time he was 23, before the injuries. Only one explanation for that.

I can't remember the last time I saw him and thought that's a top level athlete at peak fitness. Again only one explanation.

I've watched him mope on the pitch, put in minimal effort, only come alive when he thinks there's something on offer. Be the very opposote of alert.

For sure this is just an opinion, I could be wrong.

But none of the above says to me this is a player who really puts it in onbthe trainimg pitch. A player determined to do what it takes to get his body in the best shape it can be.

And just to finish, for many years, I was a big fan of his.
It's a lot more complicated than just saying "if you wanna stay fit, you can stay fit". Way too simplistic concept for me

Marwood

It's a lot more complicated than just saying "if you wanna stay fit, you can stay fit". Way too simplistic concept for me
Agree and I'm not saying that.

I'm saying its about giving yourself the best chance of being fit.

Godfather

The new Saha. Although Saha was more of a success here. Made of glass. Incredible that he and Weghorst are our only #9 options. feck the Glazers.

Shinjch

Made of weetabix, it's a management failure that he is still here and on big money.

hobbers

Someone has to take the decision out of ETH's hands and just make sure he's gone in the summer. Final year of his contract, take whatever anyone will give.

Skills

Snitch
Someone has to take the decision out of ETH's hands and just make sure he's gone in the summer. Final year of his contract, take whatever anyone will give.
I agree we should be doing this with our squad in general - recruitment, buying/selling. It'll also stop us spunking £80m on crap like Antony.

red_de_pologne

Perplexing comments.. he has to do more to be available - but sometimes it's bad luck - sometimes the manager doesn't know why he isn't available? Doesn't sound good.

TheReligion

Abusive

Those comments about playing games are odd.
It sounds like Ten Hag doesn’t believe that he’s always actually injured.
This is quite telling I think and says a lot about the current mindset of Martial.

Some players will play through soreness whilst others will mentally want to be 100% before every single game before they get on the pitch.

I’m sure I recall a piece on Saha, not sure if it was from Sir Alex or Rooney. It may have been Sir Alex comparing his mindset to Rooney with the difference being as a professional footballer playing football several times a week and training in between you’re never going to be 100% and you have to get that in your head and accept it. Rooney knew this and managed it.

Feels as though Martial is one of those players sadly that is let down by his mindset.

croadyman

Why not see if we can do loan deal for Thuram then take him permanently in summer because Tony is just injury liability

BlueHaze

"But sometimes you don’t know also really the cause [his unavailability], what the reason behind it is.''

That does not sound good coming from the manager...

BlueHaze

So in other words he's not doing enough
When your manager basically says, I don't know what is fecking wrong with him. No good sign.

I am worried not many clubs would even bother making offers more than 15m for him..

croadyman

When your manager basically says, I don't know what is fecking wrong with him. No good sign.

I am worried not many clubs would even bother making offers more than 15m for him..
Yeah which may explain Simon Jones saying we are looking at another loan forward,then again it's not coming from anyone reliable so still skeptical

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's a flake. Can't wait for the United where he's not in the squad anymore and we constantly have to question where he is, why he's starting etc etc

croadyman

He's a flake. Can't wait for the United where he's not in the squad anymore and we constantly have to question where he is, why he's starting etc etc
Problem is like someone above said it's gonna be hard to get any money for him at this rate

Status
Not open for further replies.