View full 2022-23 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

When we are on a counter he is jogging when he should be trying to make runs into the box. Either he doesn't have the will, or he is not quick enough anymore. Either way, I cant see him here next year. He wont stay to be a sub and there is no way we go into next season starting him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We definitely can't blame the conurbation of Manchester for Martial's infidelities. We're all speculating without having firm knowledge of WTF is wrong with him, but at this point I seriously doubt it's down to injuries. What seems most likely, as I write this on my laptop, is that he's never truly been happy at Old Trafford and with not living in France. He started brilliantly, but the manager's tactics didn't allow him to blossom into a worldbeater. Then Jose came and with Jose came a negative mentality and we all know the impact the arrival of Alexis had on Anthony. Anthony enjoyed an uptick in form in the early days of Ole, but when Ole fell apart Anthony never recovered.

We're handcuffed to Martial because of his wages, which no sane club would ever agree to pay, but if somehow possible we should let him go even it meant going on a free transfer.
Disagree. We're unlikely to find anyone remotely good enough with what we save on a year's wages. We need 2 CFs and a half decent 3rd option and we're not going to get 3 CFs. Just run his contract down.

I think we're better off with the odd Martial showing than with the Dutch postman running around for a couple more games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Far from good enough. We can't afford to have to give him a big run of games with his injury record, and who knows if he'd even sharpen up if we did?

RuudtheRed

He didn't have his best game, but at least he scores. That's all we need right now.

Sylar

2 goals in 3 games. Classic

:wenger:

Nah but seriously his touch today was horrid. At least he scored

Djemba-Djemba

Thought he was rubbish again.

His bad first touch ruined numerous promising situations, he's so slow and cumbersome.

Got another tap in at least.

Oranges038

He's like that guy in almsot every workplace who just does enough to not get sacked and occasionally does something to remind people he's still there.

Nobody knows what he really does and nobody would miss him if he left.

Abraxas

His touch was poor today. For all the problems he usually has, that isn't chief among them. Least he got between the posts to tap one in.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Shocking first touch every single time. He’s lucky his goal was a tap-in so he could score it by trying to control it.

SirScholes

Thought he was rubbish again.

His bad first touch ruined numerous promising situations, he's so slow and cumbersome.

Got another tap in at least.
Which is weird because it’s normally first touch good and that he isn’t there to score the tap ins

Chinchy98

Strange Martial performance. Sniffed out a goal being in the right place at the right time, but couldn't trap wind tonight.

Not sure how it came across on the TV, but I thought his desire to recover the ball was marginally better than it usually is.

Almost like his strengths and weaknesses reversed tonight, a striker on the periphery of the game but puts the ball in the net, looked like he had timberlands on when trying to get involved.

I think he'll be around in the new season, hopefully playing 1 game a week or 2 in 4/5 will help him stay sharp and be a solid option for rotation.

lex talionis

Disagree. We're unlikely to find anyone remotely good enough with what we save on a year's wages. We need 2 CFs and a half decent 3rd option and we're not going to get 3 CFs. Just run his contract down.

I think we're better off with the odd Martial showing than with the Dutch postman running around for a couple more games.
The disagreement comes down to how good Martial is. He tapped in a nice goal today, the second tap-in in recent weeks, but he's actually a very poor player considering his wages. Martial would get nowhere near the training ground of City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and probably Newcastle as well, and I seriously doubt he would break into the squad at either Brighton or Villa. If we're going to keep Martial, it's going to be because no one else will want him and no other reason.

But you are right that we need two strikers. That we've managed to crack the top four without a bona fide striker all season is testimony to the incredible job ETH has done this season. If we can't sell Martial or let him go on a free he might be able to contribute a few minutes here and there as our third striker, but in no way should we look at him as a reliable first or second striker.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The disagreement comes down to how good Martial is. He tapped in a nice goal today, the second tap-in in recent weeks, but he's actually a very poor player considering his wages. Martial would get nowhere near the training ground of City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and probably Newcastle as well, and I seriously doubt he would break into the squad at either Brighton or Villa. If we're going to keep Martial, it's going to be because no one else will want him and no other reason.

But you are right that we need two strikers. That we've managed to crack the top four without a bona fide striker all season is testimony to the incredible job ETH has done this season. If we can't sell Martial or let him go on a free he might be able to contribute a few minutes here and there as our third striker, but in no way should we look at him as a reliable first or second striker.
That's not the disagreement.

Why let him go on a free? Which CF is remotely good enough that you can get with what you save on his wages?

Wout Weghorst cost Burnley ~15 million and he was 3rd on the Bundesliga topscorer ranking behind Lewa and Yeti. We paid the equivalent amount for a left back from the Eredivisie last year.

slored1

He was absolutely terrible and has no business starting for us anymore. It's a miracle we went to CL with this joker being the first choice.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Hope everyone will agree that after 8 years he has not proven enough and should be sold.

He is on insane wages and the fee should be pretty high even 1 year before the end of his contract (which ends in 24 I think) but he should be sold this summer.

Doesn't have the attitude or the level anymore.

Two more games and ciao.

lex talionis

That's not the disagreement.

Why let him go on a free? Which CF is remotely good enough that you can get with what you save on his wages?

Wout Weghorst cost Burnley ~15 million and he was 3rd on the Bundesliga topscorer ranking behind Lewa and Yeti. We paid the equivalent amount for a left back from the Eredivisie last year.
Because his performance level is shockingly poor. Martial can claim the tap in, but apart from that was cringeworthy yesterday against a shambolic opponent.

Hackman2210

Martial now 3rd highest scorer for UTD this term.
He's cost us £44million for 8 years service - admittedly injured a lot of the time.
If we keep him on next season he costs us his wages - £250k per week (£13m). Are we going to get anyone else for that money who can be our back up striker.
One of him and Sancho need to go. I still think Martial fit for a season in Italy or Spain will bang in 20 goals.
I feel like I still have faith in Tony to come good.

massey

He's cost us £44million for 8 years service - admittedly injured a lot of the time.
If we keep him on next season he costs us his wages - £250k per week (£13m). Are we going to get anyone else for that money who can be our back up striker.
One of him and Sancho need to go. I still think Martial fit for a season in Italy or Spain will bang in 20 goals.
Can he be trusted to play back up striker though if we got in 1-2 or two players up top,considering his injury record and the fact he's now getting a run of games and looks as mobile as an articulated lorry him being back up would worry me for him to stay sharp enough and interested something he doesn't look when the confidence is down or he's not playing.

Oranges038

Because his performance level is shockingly poor. Martial can claim the tap in, but apart from that was cringeworthy yesterday against a shambolic opponent.
I don't like him and think he needs to go and should be gone long ago.

I'd actually say on the ball he was poor. Slow, and just killing counters with his total lack of urgency.

He doesn't press hard and it looks lazy, but he knows he's not capable of it. But off the ball his closing of passing lanes was good, more so in the second half when Chelsea were given more of the ball. No point in aimlessly chasing a center half leaving space behind you open when you're 2 up.

Alemar

He must score at least one more goal to get into double digit area

Red00012

Genuine question when has he last played 90 mins ?

edit

Did a quick google search he last completed 90 mins in the PL v Sheff Utd on 27 January 2021 :wenger:

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Martial spent a season in Spain and he was shit

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Watching the lad kinda feel his injury was more severe than we were made aware of. He looks like a guy that will need at least 12 months to get his body going again.
It’s a shame because I like him and won’t want him sold this window. Obviously his injury record is bad but I choose not to blame players for their injuries.
If he can get him self to a special regime, shed some weight and take off them timberland for next season. There is a chance he will be good contributor to our season.

Member 101269

Can he be trusted to play back up striker though if we got in 1-2 or two players up top,considering his injury record and the fact he's now getting a run of games and looks as mobile as an articulated lorry him being back up would worry me for him to stay sharp enough and interested something he doesn't look when the confidence is down or he's not playing.
  1. he doesn't like beung #2 #3 etc
  2. he is often unavailable
  3. when available he's not match fit
  4. if not 2 and 3, it seems like he CBA
On the very rare occasion he plays well, please those reading spare me the "he played well in preseason" rubbish, it's not worth the wages. If it continues, he'll being to make Jones's time on the side lines look cheap.

Pickle85

Remarkable that some still think he has something left to offer. Can't wait to see him gone...he contributes so little these days.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Even better...we could have gotten Haaland for £4million

We need to stop dilly dallying around with nonsense math like Woodward was always doing on these players and let them go and get better replacements now instead of tomorrow. Running contracts down is even worse as we saw with the likes of Darmian and Pogba.
You mean the massive City fan Ole couldn't get?
Sure and if we had gotten Antony straight out of Brazil he'd have cost 17 million (pre-United tax),, which funnily getting "rid" of Martial wouldn't even cover half of factoring in the salary of the player as well.

The nonsense math you're talking about is not taking your loss through selling because of some sort amortization. In this case there is nothing to be gained because he holds no value.

You just can't buy a player remotely ready for the champions league and premier league for 7 million.

2Injurytimegoal

Clubs that can afford his wage wouldn't sign him, we can only run down his contract or loan him out with paying most of his wage.

He is the prime example that how shit we are handling the contracts, paying way more wages and extending contracts for injury-prone and average players.

Even as of today, I would take Welback over him as the no.9, and all other teams in the top half of the table has a better striker.

STYLOISRED

He is going through the same issues Rashford went through last season where he doesn't himself to when challenged. We need to buy a better striker but I would still keep him next season as a despite his many faults strikers like him are rare. Sign a starting striker to compete and take the spot from him. If that striker is Kane then we can sell him and buy a younger striker next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.