Anthony Martial #9

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So he finally got his number.

Nowhere to hide now Anthony. We'll be expecting a hattrick on Sunday.

Infestissumam

taking the number away from him was such an unnecessary and childish thing. Glad he got it back and hopefully he'll crush it this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have gone with him in the fantasy team , 7.5m, number 9 back up, time to roll.

SirAF

Ageist
taking the number away from him was such an unnecessary and childish thing. Glad he got it back and hopefully he'll crush it this season.
Wut? #9 usually always go to the marquee striker. Of course Zlatan Ibrahimovic was going to get it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It annoys me that our centre backs are wearing fullback numbers though.

Renegade

Wut? #9 usually always go to the marquee striker. Of course Zlatan Ibrahimovic was going to get it.
Rarely a player would be stripped off the number. Marquee striker or not.

Adamsk7

He’s got the number and with it the pressure of being the main man up top. This is the position that suits him best, He’ll be 24 later this year too so he’s no longer strictly a youth player. Time to step up to the plate.

I believe he can do it. I reckon he’ll get 20 goals this season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Rarely a player would be stripped off the number. Marquee striker or not.
And the number 9 doesn't always go to the marquee striker. Ibrahimovic played with the 10 and 11 just fine.

SirAF

Ageist
And the number 9 doesn't always go to the marquee striker. Ibrahimovic played with the 10 and 11 just fine.
But more often it does - and it should. Up to Martial now to prove himself now.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ronaldo is not a striker though - he certainly wasn’t when he made #7 his own.
He played up top sometimes but yes he was mostly wide starting out. But all lineups with him these days have him up top and he really owns the whole final third if you think about it.

SirAF

Ageist
He played up top sometimes but yes he was mostly wide starting out. But all lineups with him these days have him up top and he really owns the whole final third if you think about it.
No arguments there :drool:

wolvored

They've literally just changed his shirt number and people are over the moon?! :lol:

Let's say he plays as a striker for us so we now have cover upfront..........then we are short on the left wing with just Sanchez, who has been awful so far
James and Rashford will play there

Smores

Funny how all the hatred on him by the end of last season has been forgotten.

If a grown man performs any better or worse because of the number on his back he shouldn't be at this club. Let's hope he decides to bother running this season

Infestissumam

he could have easily worn another number. A club legend like Paul Scholes came out of retirement and took another number and it wasn't even worth the conversation. Stripping a young striker (who was one of the few positives in the season prior) of the number without even telling him just because we wanted to go box-office was a shambolic decision. It creates issues and talking points that could have easily been avoided.

Valencia_7

Tony Martial came from France,
English press said he had no chance.
50 Million down the drain
As Tony Martial wears 9 again.

JPRouve

Scout
But more often it does - and it should. Up to Martial now to prove himself now.
Not really, it's entirely a matter of availability and players choice. It's actually easy to find marquee strikers that often didn't use the number 9 and funnily enough Ibrahimovic is one of them. Examples of marquee striker Ibrahimovic, Trezeguet, Shevchenko, Henry, Raul, Romario or Wright.

If there is a rule, it will be that you generally don't take a number from an other player.

IrishRedDevil

Funny how all the hatred on him by the end of last season has been forgotten.

If a grown man performs any better or worse because of the number on his back he shouldn't be at this club. Let's hope he decides to bother running this season
The entire team was widely hated at the end of last season and some of them still are.

Melville Red

I like Woodheads thinking here..“Hmm Ole, I’ve appeared to have sold our number 9 and didn’t have time to replace him”.
Ole “oh that’s ok Mr Woodward sir, I’m sure we can cope”
Woody, “Ole problem solved I’ve phoned the printers for the shirts I’m sure you’ll like the idea and it should keep those pesky supporters happy so it’s a win win”
Ole, “oh sir you are a footballing genius”

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Is that really a cause for celebration ?
Celebration is a strong word but I think it draws a line in the sand and gives him the opportunity to think okay I’m getting the backing I need now and zero excuses. Jose killed his confidence when he took away the shirt number - it was a stupid decision to take. Young players are fragile and things like shirt numbers etc can make a big difference to their vibe on the pitch.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Friendly games. And i am not saying that Martial is not an option. But Rashy is no1 option

I think that too

Ole talked a lot about Rashy last year as our future main striker. He is his project. No way that Martial will start on central position against Chelsea
Then what would be the point of preparing for the season with Martial as his main centre forward. During the entire pre season he's played Martial in the centre and whenever both him and Rashford played together he had opted for Martial centrally with Rashford on the left.

Pre season gave us an idea of where each player might be played for the season or at least for the Chelsea game

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Then what would be the point of preparing for the season with Martial as his main centre forward. During the entire pretty season he's played Martial in the centre and whenever both him and Rashford played together he had opted for Martial centrally with Rashford on the left.

Pretty season gave us an idea of where each player might be played for the season or at least for the Chelsea game
Someone loved the preseason.:wenger:

Al-T

If we changed Martial's shirt number to 69 maybe he'd suck less than he did last season.

Or maybe not. We'll see.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Celebration is a strong word but I think it draws a line in the sand and gives him the opportunity to think okay I’m getting the backing I need now and zero excuses. Jose killed his confidence when he took away the shirt number - it was a stupid decision to take. Young players are fragile and things like shirt numbers etc can make a big difference to their vibe on the pitch.
I hope you're right. I'm very skeptical though

RedDevilRoshi

Got his number back and I just hope he picks up from where he left off the last time he wore that number.

Was absolutely phenomenal in his debut season. If we get that Martial back, it will feel like a new signing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
About as good of a Lukaku replacement we could have gotten this window.

I think we have mismanaged him, but also that he has a mentality that is difficult sometimes. Hopefully this new number will spark some interest in his heart.

Irrational.

Feck Jose for stripping him of that number in the first place. Was completely unnecessary. No wonder Martial didn't like the sour-faced git. It was an even bigger crime overlooking him again for that shirt in favour of Lukaku.

Hopefully Ole's faith in him will instill him with a lot more confidence and we can get the Martial back of the debut season, new and improved.