Anthony Martial #9

Dante

Average bang
The left winger experiment is over. About time.

To be fair, it made sense in LvG's slow build style, where the CF was a focal point who brought his wide forwards into the box.

Under Jose and Ole, it was far from ideal for Martial. Hopefully, he can kick on now as a central player.

paulblart

You'd think he'd have accepted it by now since it's been 3 years. He never should've lost it to begin with though.

skeelz

Tony Martial came from france
English press said he has no chance

Bla bla bla ...

Now that he's got his nine
Hope he gets his mojo back

Funky Futurista

This made me really happy. I was kinda pissed when Ibra got his number, hopefully he can deliver this season. Started watching under the Van Gaal era and he was a bright shining light that season. Regularly watch his goal against Liverpool where he took Skrtel for a ride :D

nutmegrush

A confidence player if there ever was one, hope this pays dividends, and hope he gets s prolonged run in the starting XI

Nori-

They've literally just changed his shirt number and people are over the moon?! :lol:

Let's say he plays as a striker for us so we now have cover upfront..........then we are short on the left wing with just Sanchez, who has been awful so far

Dolf

Wha if we decide to sign a top striker next season? Or the season after that? Will we take it from him again?

Andersons Dietician

They've literally just changed his shirt number and people are over the moon?! :lol:

Let's say he plays as a striker for us so we now have cover upfront..........then we are short on the left wing with just Sanchez, who has been awful so far
He’s been playing as a striker pretty much all of pre season with Rashford on the left. You also have James that can play on the left. The whole front 4 tended to swap positions throughout the pre season but for the most part Martial was the striker.

C'est Moi Cantona

Lets get the facts straight, Martial was utter shite last season, a lazy, unmotivated fecker, and if we'd have got the replacement any other would be top team would have got for Lukaku, then he wouldn't be been rewarded for failure, but I love the guy when he plays like he can, so I hope he finally grasps the moment, as he undoubtedly is the most talented attacker we have..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The left winger experiment is over. About time.

To be fair, it made sense in LvG's slow build style, where the CF was a focal point who brought his wide forwards into the box.

Under Jose and Ole, it was far from ideal for Martial. Hopefully, he can kick on now as a central player.
Number doesn't change anything. Rashford is Ole's first choice for central attacker

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lets get the facts straight, Martial was utter shite last season, a lazy, unmotivated fecker, and if we'd have got the replacement any other would be top team would have got for Lukaku, then he wouldn't be been rewarded for failure, but I love the guy when he plays like he can, so I hope he finally grasps the moment, as he undoubtedly is the most talented attacker we have..
Utter shite but the best goal/assist ratio among our attackers.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
If you think about it he lost the number after playing well so this balances it out.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yes but he's got one less number on his back therefore he should be more aerodynamic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Didn't Martial play more through the middle?
Friendly games. And i am not saying that Martial is not an option. But Rashy is no1 option
Hope not. Martial is much more clinical.
I think that too

Rashford will start on the left on Sunday. Martial will be up top.
Ole talked a lot about Rashy last year as our future main striker. He is his project. No way that Martial will start on central position against Chelsea

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Taking it away from him was beyond stupid in the first place

Gandalf

I don't think either Martial or Rashford is our starting striker. The whole point of the system Ole is trying to implement is that they are interchangeable and fast as feck which will give defenders nightmares. If we go with the 4-2-3-1 we have been using we may kick off with Martial in front of Rashford-Lingard-James but with the exception of Lingard I think the other 3 will switch positions at will just to create as much confusion as possible. Same if you switch out Greenwood for James. We may not get a 20 goal striker but we could get 3 or 4 in the mid to high teens which will work just as well if Slabhead, Mate, Pogba et al are chipping in with 5+ each

redshaw

Thought he switched around all his marketing for 11. Guess he's happy to switch it all back for 9.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good decision. I like that as a statement of intent from Ole. Turf the big man out the door, and make Martial the main man as he should’ve been all along. Hopefully he repays the faith shown in him, as others have said he’s obviously a confidence player. James will obviously see the benefits too. I like what this represents.

Bwuk

He’s our best striker. Best hold up and ability to link play.

Makes sense. He was never a left winger.