Anthony Martial #9

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Scored a typical #9 goal and showed us glimpses of being very comfortable with James/rash/Jesse.

He really is going to blast through 30 goals this season isn’t he?
Is he? I've always been admirer of his talents but there isn't any overwhelming indication of him having a 30 plus goal season. He could do so but I'd be over the moon with 20.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That is absolutely fine. That is the beauty of these opinion boards.

I do see it and it is an absolute pleasure watching him play. The things he and Rashford tried today - when they come off it is going to be such fun.
Yeh. Maybe the last couple years of him being average, just clouded my judgement.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Now, i am waiting for a Martial screamer. I challenge him. He can’t shoot ( a screamer ), if next time United lead 3-0. Just try to hit a screamer, when its of course right time for a screamer shot.

I have following United since King Cantona arrived to Old Trafford. And all United CFs until now have had a screamer goal. So Martial has to be on that list too.
Don't think Martial reads caf. So if you want to challenge him, better do it on twitter/Instagram where he posts.

3KDré

Excellent yesterday. How the feck has he started pressing so intensely?
Finally getting a run in his favourite position, just got his favourite shirt number back. It's a trivial thing to most of us but I guess it mattered to him. I can see him going up a level or two. His holdup play is the best in the squad and he is the most rounded striker. Rashford being out left, and interchanging with him regularly might help too. I just hope Rashford can play well on the left.

Andersons Dietician

So it was Rashford who was on the left?
Yeah it was mostly that in pre season as well but they do sort of rotate, but it’s clear Martial is the main man upfront. At times just depending where they found themselves That whole front 4 just slipped in to different positions but mostly it was Martial up top.

Snafu17

No it doesn’t. Last time a first teamer changed their number this late into the summer? It hardly ever happens.

I remember Rashford went to 10 that’s about the only one?
Shaw to 23, Depay to 7, Cleverly to 23, Evans to 6 just from the top of my head. It's a common occurrence. You just bitched to a random shop clerk over a shirt number.

Andersons Dietician

I know it's hard not to get carried away with yesterday but is it just me that didn't think Martial was actually that good yesterday? I mean he was better than he has been but still pretty much repeating his one trick and Rashford was better and, for me, he should be the main striker not Martial. Feel like I'm a lone voice here though
Question why was Rashford better in your eyes? Because personally I think Rashford was shocking first half and certainly picked up once he got his goal but before that he was terrible. Where in I thought Martial did a lot more for us throughout the game.

First game of the season so hopefully they will both improve and generally yesterday the team was quite sloppy but given what I’ve seen in pre season and this game I would say Martial is the far better 9 currently. But I think Rashford is more likely to make better runs from outside to in from the left position with Martial liking to drop off from central positions allowing Rashford that space to attack like his 2nd goal yesterday.

Anyway if both end up somewhere between 15-20 goals I think that’ll be a decent return. Anything over 20 and then they are doing exceptionally.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Now, i am waiting for a Martial screamer. I challenge him. He can’t shoot ( a screamer ), if next time United lead 3-0. Just try to hit a screamer, when its of course right time for a screamer shot.

I have following United since King Cantona arrived to Old Trafford. And all United CFs until now have had a screamer goal. So Martial has to be on that list too.
Martial has scored loads of 'screamers' he pretty much scores the same goal every time he plays Stoke and they're all 'screamers'

TheRedHearted

Can anyone tell if he hit his goal clean or it bounced off the defender almost? I can’t tell at all. Hoping he hit it clean

Gasolin

He will score goals if we carry on playing him down the middle. He seemed so much more involved in the game and not wasted our on the left. Martial I think is a player that needs to be made feel important and when he is. He delivers and is the player we all know he can be
Pogba style then. Rashford and Lingard are similar that I think you can ground them and be mad at them. Man management anyway. These players + Greenwood and Gomes and McT are going to carry this team from now on. Go get the goals Anthony!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Shaw to 23, Depay to 7, Cleverly to 23, Evans to 6 just from the top of my head. It's a common occurrence. You just bitched to a random shop clerk over a shirt number.
Ferdinand, Rooney, Valencia and Beckham changed numbers too.

Andersons Dietician

Can anyone tell if he hit his goal clean or it bounced off the defender almost? I can’t tell at all. Hoping he hit it clean
To be honest I think it comes off his left knee but as any striker will tell you it doesn’t matter what part of your body it hits as long as it goes in.

Handré1990

I know it's hard not to get carried away with yesterday but is it just me that didn't think Martial was actually that good yesterday? I mean he was better than he has been but still pretty much repeating his one trick and Rashford was better and, for me, he should be the main striker not Martial. Feel like I'm a lone voice here though
He was good I thought, not great, but noone was great imo. Being a lone striker is a tough job. His close control is better, he’s got a bigger frame than Rashford, and he’s better in combination play. Rashford has a killer shot from distance that Martial lacks, and is rapid.

I’d say it’s better with their respective skill-sets to start from the positions they did yesterday if both are playing. They did a lot of interchanging anyway, so at times Rashford will be further forward (like the 2nd goal he scored).

Steven7290

as funny as the guy sounded, I have also stated numerous time his shooting technique is not as complete as I want to see from him. He has a deadly curl shot from varied distances but hasnt yet shown a direct hit with no spin on the ball or the outside of his foot etc. Not that it matters too much because some guy name Messi is not famous for those shots either.

TheRedHearted

To be honest I think it comes off his left knee but as any striker will tell you it doesn’t matter what part of your body it hits as long as it goes in.
From that close i get it- get contact and be in the right spot.

Really shocked at how little people are taking about Periera’s cross. It was perfect. Absolutely perfect by dipping around the near post defenders. May have been such a good bend Martial didn’t even see it!

He’s getting his confidence up and I hope and think he will get to the place where that gift from Zouma early on would have been hit high and to the right and our first goal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Finally getting a run in his favourite position, just got his favourite shirt number back. It's a trivial thing to most of us but I guess it mattered to him. I can see him going up a level or two. His holdup play is the best in the squad and he is the most rounded striker. Rashford being out left, and interchanging with him regularly might help too. I just hope Rashford can play well on the left.
It's more to do with preparation. Coaching staff worked on fitness and conditioning, also the expectations are set on how the team is expected to play.

It's good that Martial improved too as he was one of the players on the wrong list last season.

OoopsMisclick

Martial will be better at CF due to his lackluster workrate.
LW needs to run a lot more compared to a CF. Not saying that he'll make it at CF at UTD but it does suit him better.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Martial will be better at CF due to his lackluster workrate.
LW needs to run a lot more compared to a CF. Not saying that he'll make it at CF at UTD but it does suit him better.
I think/hope Martial can score 20-25 goals this season which will help make his case to be our main CF.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's such a pure footballer. He can't force himself just to lash it, he has to prepare it, and try and walk the perfect shot in.

He must be loving how this season is starting though, compared to his time under Jose.

K13

Yeh. Maybe the last couple years of him being average, just clouded my judgement.
Of course. I think all the players struggled a bit last season - apart from the 10 games when Ole first came in.

I think average is a fair assessment as it indicates his inconsistency over a season with numerous highs and lows.

If he can have more highs than lows this season then surely that is progress. Same with all our players.

Castia

They got the numbers earlier in the summer though? Same with Rashford he was wearing 10 all pre season it was pretty obvious that would be his number.

They’ve literally had Martial 11 on mannequins for about 2 months in OT before the number change it’s slightly different.

Meh whatever anyway it’s done now.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Was a little rusty but he definitely should stay as striker. He’ll get better.

Snafu17

They got the numbers earlier in the summer though? Same with Rashford he was wearing 10 all pre season it was pretty obvious that would be his number.

They’ve literally had Martial 11 on mannequins for about 2 months in OT before the number change it’s slightly different.

Meh whatever anyway it’s done now.
No, all of those changed their number in August, the week before the start of the season, when the official EPL numbers get confirmed. When the club's website releases the numbers for the tour they usually even have a disclaimer that the assigned numbers might not be permanent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's such a pure footballer. He can't force himself just to lash it, he has to prepare it, and try and walk the perfect shot in.

He must be loving how this season is starting though, compared to his time under Jose.
I told myself the same thing when he tried to slot the ball on the bottom right corner. He tried to take the perfect shot and unfortunately didn't put enough power in it. That's why I liked his ugly goal because he needs to embrace those goals, they are the opportunistic goals that the likes of Suarez or Trezeguet would score on top of the screamers.

Ashish Negi

Other than getting no 9 back, one more thing had change related to Martial.

In previous years till last season Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku etc used to be last one to come out of the tunnel but now since the start of this pre season he is coming last. ( Basically there is say that other than captain the last player to come out of the tunnel is the main player )

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Other than getting no 9 back, one more thing had change related to Martial.

In previous years till last season Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku etc used to be last one to come out of the tunnel but now since the start of this pre season he is coming last. ( Basically there is say that other than captain the last player to come out of the tunnel is the main player )
What? :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
From the angle behind the goal, it looked like it came off his left knee. Before I thought he hit it clean.

All the better though, as he needs to score more scrappy goals.

TheRedHearted

From the angle behind the goal, it looked like it came off his left knee. Before I thought he hit it clean.

All the better though, as he needs to score more scrappy goals.
I get that. He does seem like a perfectionist.

it was a wonderful assist from Periera and I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it

Gasolin

I get that. He does seem like a perfectionist.

it was a wonderful assist from Periera and I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it
It was a bit like when Fletcher moved the ball forward first and then crossed for Park against Liverpool, I loved that little touch before the cross.

TheRedHearted

It was a bit like when Fletcher moved the ball forward first and then crossed for Park against Liverpool, I loved that little touch before the cross.
Yep. A little touch to move the ball but keep it close enough. I think Periera can give us some depth on the RW

KennyBurner

he was better than Rashford so i think it might only be just you. He did well to control the ball consistently and bring others into play. Rashford couldn't even make simple passes from the start so I wonder what game you were watching? He was involved in the 1st 2nd and 4th goal. Don't know what else you want from him. Rashford is fine on the wing were he doesnt have to rely on his shaky first touch. He can run the channels and score goals cutting in because he is an excellent long range shooter.

Raven

Depends on what you like from a striker really. I believe that Rashford doesn't offer enough in the build up play to be the lad leading the line. Rashford works perfectly running into space in behind, like the space that Martial leaves when he drops deep.

Artorias

he was better than Rashford so i think it might only be just you. He did well to control the ball consistently and bring others into play. Rashford couldn't even make simple passes from the start so I wonder what game you were watching? He was involved in the 1st 2nd and 4th goal. Don't know what else you want from him. Rashford is fine on the wing were he doesnt have to rely on his shaky first touch. He can run the channels and score goals cutting in because he is an excellent long range shooter.
To be honest, i rather have Martial as our main CF. He looks more clinical and can bring other to play.

KennyBurner

To be honest, i rather have Martial as our main CF. He looks more clinical and can bring other to play.
Exactly. The CF position is very important for how we want to play and most importantly we need a player who can bring others into play. Martial is much better than Rashford at this. Not that rashford cant do it but his touch is sometimes a bit heavy and he isn't as good in tight spaces compared to martial. Also although I still believe sometime in the future rashford can develop these skills to an expert level, right now he is needed for his workrate and speed on the wing. Its the perfect situation right now to have rashford on the left and martial as main striker.