Anthony Martial as Number 9

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He also has the habit of just standing there waiting as the ball comes towards him, totally ignoring that the defender is already moving to intercept it. It's as if he expects other people to stand still as well.

It's part of why I just can't imagine him in a false 9 or number 10 role, as nice as it would be to see his close control used there. I just can't visualise him ever being the first to a pass in the middle, or moving to a position where he's not immediately trapped. I don't think he'd ever see the ball and it wouldn't be the fault of his teammates.
I did tell him that multiple times from being a player who is just standing there in his spot, don’t really move around much, lack of vision & passing ability as false 9 & even mention the requirement to be false 9 but he’s ignoring them. Hard to speak to him :rolleyes:

Art Vandelay

I did tell him that multiple times from being a player who is just standing there in his spot, don’t really move around much, lack of vision & passing ability as false 9 & even mention the requirement to be false 9 but he’s ignoring them. Hard to speak to him :rolleyes:
You're wasting your time. His version of Martial and the one that exists are two different things.

RooneyLegend

If we loaned Martial to Ajax for a year I wouldn't complain. He's signed until 2024 and he has a ton of talent and seems to be miles behind where he should be in tactics and effort.

If Ole doesn't work out here, we really should think about hiring whoever we think the best manager is at developing young players. Like literally hire whoever we think the best academy coach in Europe is. People seem to think a director of football would cover this, but a manager who can improve Rashford, Martial, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood and Shaw (maybe Mctominay and then there's the guys like Garner and Laird I haven't seen enough but people seem to rate) and teach them to play smart football in a clear system would be my first priority.
That's why I've been saying for eons we should hire Ten Hag. The football he got those kids playing was brilliant. What he could do with an expensive squad that is also filled to the brim with exceptional talents either from the academy or bought is a dream to see.

Aloysius's Back 3

That's why I've been saying for eons we should hire Ten Hag. The football he got those kids playing was brilliant. What he could do with an expensive squad that is also filled to the brim with exceptional talents either from the academy or bought is a dream to see.
I agree. Now that Ole's here as a manager we can do nothing but wait.

However - what Ole is doing with the players he is targeting resembles what a DOF should atleast be doing.

If Ole fails hopefully we can target the ajax manager and he finds himself with a bunch of 11+ youngsters to build a tactically built side.

RooneyLegend

I agree. Now that Ole's here as a manager we can do nothing but wait.

However - what Ole is doing with the players he is targeting resembles what a DOF should atleast be doing.

If Ole fails hopefully we can target the ajax manager and he finds himself with a bunch of 11+ youngsters to build a tactically built side.
This is the issue with our club. We don't mind waiting. We just don't seem desperate for success. There's been a tactical change in world football for the past decade and if you aren't a part of that change, you get left behind. It's all about pressing, counter pressing and up tempo technical football. What belief do we have that Ole is the man to instil that. What evidence do we have that he will.

We are basically going to waste yet another season while our rivals lap up the accolades. Make the move now, demote Ole to assistant. Allow Ole the team to learn under someone who is known for that type of football then he'll eventually take over.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is the issue with our club. We don't mind waiting. We just don't seem desperate for success. There's been a tactical change in world football for the past decade and if you aren't a part of that change, you get left behind. It's all about pressing, counter pressing and up tempo technical football. What belief do we have that Ole is the man to instil that. What evidence do we have that he will.

We are basically going to waste yet another season while our rivals lap up the accolades. Make the move now, demote Ole to assistant. Allow Ole the team to learn under someone who is known for that type of football then he'll eventually take over.
I agree - we have missed out Pep, Klopp, Conte whilst managers like Pochettino or Ten haag never seem within our time line.