Anthony Martial | Sevilla loan watch

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Hopefully he will help them win La lIga.

Ludens the Red

Wish him well but definitely the right call to cut our losses on him. He doesn’t have elite level mentality to be part of a successful team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are we not still paying some of his wages.
Sounds like that’s the deal. No loan fee but they are covering his wages.

It’s a good move for United I think, if he rips up La Liga we should be able to demand a much better fee this summer than if he stayed here on £250k a week sulking on the bench.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Go and win the league!

You’ll probably pick up another Europa League medal too

Lewnited

Good luck Tony! Will be interesting seeing him in a new environment

3vra

:( so sad to see him gone as he is my favourite player but hope he gets his mojo back and come back stronger as i belive he has some part to play in our team, maybe with next manager who would gel our team better and then there are not many better forwards around who can invite those around to play with them.

Looking forward to his games in La Liga and I am sure, at one point he is gonna be player of the month in the league as well minute to minute top goalscorer in La Liga. 16 matches left, and I bet he is gonna score at least 9 goals with 3 assists.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wasted his talents with us is really the only feeling I'm left with.
I think he took the challenges of others being brought in as competition well early on, and put his head down and worked on his play. It's just saddening that someone with such immense technical talent can't do that as the standard.

AndyMUFC86

Wish him well but definitely the right call to cut our losses on him. He doesn’t have elite level mentality to be part of a successful team.
100% agree, Martial is the most frustrating player I’ve watched at United. He has the talent to be world class yet he doesn’t have the fight and passion to get there

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm pleased that he has gone to Spain as opposed to loaned/sold to another PL club. If we look back at his time here his best moments seem to happen when he is not under direct threat for his position. I think a Martial arriving at a club where things are still fresh and he is valued would be a dangerous prospect. I hope he proves some of his doubters wrong, though regardless of what happens there it feels like his time at United is done.

Pirlo'sBeard

Sad to see him go, although this is undoubtedly the best move for all parties.

His United career became stagnant which is hardly unsurprising given the state of the team. The same thing has happened to the likes of Rashford.

I haven't given up on him just yet. I believe he'll be excellent at Sevilla and it'll act as the catalyst to kick start his career. It's a fresh start, not as much pressure and a less toxic environment than United's currently.

youmeletsfly

Sad to see him go, although this is undoubtedly the best move for all parties.

His United career became stagnant which is hardly unsurprising given the state of the team. The same thing has happened to the likes of Rashford.

I haven't given up on him just yet. I believe he'll be excellent at Sevilla and it'll act as the catalyst to kick start his career. It's a fresh start, not as much pressure and a less toxic environment than United's currently.
Well, both him and Marcus had 6 years to figure out what they need to do with their careers, disregarding the manager and state of the team.
When things got shitty, both of them chose to sulk, especially under Mourinho.

If you sit on your ass and don't run for half the games you're playing and you're suddenly 26 on quite the downfall, it's all on you, not on the team/manager/club.

crossy1686

career ending
Well, both him and Marcus had 6 years to figure out what they need to do with their careers, disregarding the manager and state of the team.
When things got shitty, both of them chose to sulk, especially under Mourinho.

If you sit on your ass and don't run for half the games you're playing and you're suddenly 26 on quite the downfall, it's all on you, not on the team/manager/club.
Telling quotes from James Ducker about that:

Martial was famously scolded by Solskjaer in the dressing room after the Frenchman barely joined in a warm-up before a game against Chelsea after being named as a substitute, and the struggles to engage the striker became more pronounced as time went on. By Solskjaer’s final months in charge, he had fallen way down the pecking order and things did not change under Rangnick.

The blame, in truth, can be shared around. In six-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, Martial has played under four managers, all with very different styles and approaches and contrasting opinions about the player’s best position. The decision to take the No 9 shirt off Martial and give it to Zlatan Ibrahimovic a year after his arrival also went down badly with the younger player and could have been better handled, particularly given the impact he made during his debut season.

At the same time, Martial has often struggled to rise to the challenge presented by increased competition in his position and the familiar complaints about workrate and mindset - that crucial bit between the ears - have remained consistent even as managers have changed.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I like it. Strengthens Sevilla and they are actually in the title race :drool:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He should've been moved on sooner, as his best seasons are spaced well apart, and from a consistency perspective his patchy form is what he's consistent at.

On his day he can be untouchable and the best player on the pitch - but those days are not enough to command a starting place as often as he'd like in the Premier League top 4/6.

And in fairness to the guy - I think the Mourinho era killed him and then we had Ole unable to decide if he's Mr Nice Guy and everyone's mate, or if he's a hairdryer manager. Clearly he's a sensitive lad, and it has impacted his ability to be the best player he can be.

It started so well, but it never really got much better. 15/16 and 19/20 were definitely memorable for him but I hope he moves on permanently, in a less demanding environment which may allow him to perform better.

Ixion

Good luck to him, I hope he does well and returns.

It was always a bad move to overload our forwards in the squad knowing they couldn't all be accommodated, you're just asking for trouble.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He won't be the last player to leave because he can't high press. This could get brutal.

jeff_goldblum

I have an inkling he'll do well in Spain, especially at a club which doesn't have the media circus around it that United has.

Bogga

Maybe we can ask Fernando Torres to welcome our next signing that had him as an idol growing up? :)

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I did start that video wondering why I'd not heard of Martial's love of Freddy Kanouté before now.

KennyBurner

Rooting and fully invested in Sevilla now. Hope he drives them to the Title. I suspect we are going to see a settled Martial moving forward and when he comes back for the next season he might consider staying.

izec

He is perfect for them, if he can be arsed. I think he will be great for them, as he was for us initially, but will fade away.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hope he does really well and proves his doubters wrong. One of my favourite Utd players of the post Fergie era and he’s produced some brilliant moments and games. Personally I don’t think he’s ever received the respect and love he deserved from our fan base but I also understand why some wouldn’t warm to his languid style.

youngrell

Interesting to see how he does. Have always been a big fan of his but his recent form has been really poor, sadly.

Funnily enough, it was probably the EL semi vs Sevilla where his downturn started.

They've made a huge splash about the signing on their socials, so plenty of expectations of him.

LDUred

I doubt we will ever see him in a red shirt again.

Good luck to him though. Hopefully, he can recapture his form in Spain and become a success over there.

He never really hit the heights we initially expected but he was at least one of our better players during a time of general mediocrity.

sugar_kane

I doubt we will ever see him in a red shirt again.

Good luck to him though. Hopefully, he can recapture his form in Spain and become a success over there.

He never really hit the heights we initially expected but he was at least one of our better players during a time of general mediocrity.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about that being the case

Play for United again though? Oh absolutely not.

Anustart89

Can someone please translate the video message from Ronaldo?
Basically: "Welcome to la liga, welcome to Sevilla, one of the big clubs in Spain and in Europe. A club with great support. I wish you all the best and I'll see you soon. Hugs, R9".