Anthony Martial | Sevilla loan watch

Kaushal

This guy is one of the biggest waste of talents I've ever seen. He should've been so much more. It's criminal (and baffling) how his career has just plummeted like it has. There's so much talent there but feck knows what went wrong in his head.
It’s not even like he is party animal or has a self combust personality like Balotelli. Just pure lazy and carefree. I mean how hard it can be to work like normal players especially when your career is going down the drain. You would think that at some point some amount of pride, self respect and some seriousness will kick in but no just no even if that means you tumble down from Manchester United to Mansfield town given the trajectory of your career is going.

WPMUFC

£250,000 pw

Safe to say we’re not selling him this summer
we can if the transfer fee was like.....1 million pounds, or pay half his wage. If he is going to be one of these losers that starts briefing because Ten Hag has him playing 25 games in the reserves, we should be eating the loss to get him out.

Paul778

The moment Ole leaves he calls in sick and asks for a transfer. Says everything

No work ethic at all

glasgow 21

We have this guy on 240k a week….. let’s that sink in!!
Deary me !! and chelsea has mason mount at this moment in time on £80g per week says it all. ETH & staff has all this mess to sort out whilst re-building United that's why we have to support him at all costs even if Sky sports and the rest of the media want him sacked already.

OleGunnar20

He was is such dire form that we could not even contemplate using him for long stretches. The result of that was not Martial knuckling down and trying to win a spot, it was chucking a tantrum and leaking that he wanted a move. He gets his move and does NOTHING. He's just the same old lazy Martial.

What makes you think he ever had two brain cells to rub together? He had his opportunity to prove himself and he decided to sulk and look completely uninterested.
I’ll rule him out based on Ten Hag’s ethics of unity, hard work and train hard. Guys been packing some extra weight for some time and he doesn’t want to be at United, he made that very obvious before he went out on loan, that he wanted a change of clubs as he’s been here too long. Let’s all hope Conte wants him and he finally gives Glaston his wish.
Just to clarify - I hope he leaves. Was a big fan once but anybody with such a dreadful attitude in a United shirt should be shipped out immediately for me. I'd prefer to see Pellestri / Diallo / Mejbri given those minutes next year alongside some reinforcements, but as I say, don't think we'll be able to bring enough bodies in this summer to allow us to discard of Martial.

A pre-season with a proper coach having been basically humiliated in Sevilla might rejuvinate him somewhat, who knows.

Real Name

Deary me !! and chelsea has mason mount at this moment in time on £80g per week says it all. ETH & staff has all this mess to sort out whilst re-building United that's why we have to support him at all costs even if Sky sports and the rest of the media want him sacked already.
Mount is on 80 per week? Is that really true?

Gurtej

Our salaries are atrocious..

240K Martial, 375K DDG, 200K Rashford, Henderson 100K, Sancho: 350K, Varane: 340K, Maquire: 190K, Bruno: 240K, Luke Shaw: 150K, Lindelof: 120K, even bloody Telles: 100K....And of course you have Ronaldo but I get it....

We are a mess of a club....not only players but the entire structure is a mess

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

240K Martial, 375K DDG, 200K Rashford, Henderson 100K, Sancho: 350K, Varane: 340K, Maquire: 190K, Bruno: 240K, Luke Shaw: 150K, Lindelof: 120K, even bloody Telles: 100K....And of course you have Ronaldo but I get it....

I think that is a big part of it though, we gift big contracts out far too easily. the players are happy to be here for the money but don't actually care for trophies.

For them life is complete already. We need to be a lot more careful with our wage structure in the future. Save the big money for genuine stars.

Apparently Joel Glazer absolutely loved Martial and compared him to Pele, so it's not surprising they got duped into giving him big money.

jimmyb2000

Those wages are obscene...and unwarranted.

Why is the club so insecure that they think they have to pay vastly inflated wages to get players here or keep existing players "happy"

Makes the club look weak and foolish doing this and I'd say that it also has a perverse effect on the players. In any industry, if you overpay staff you'll eventually demotivate them and reduce productivity.

The better option is to keep them well paid and reward them for achieving goals/targets.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
ETH doesn't need our support. He needs the board's support.
My gut feeling tells me that the board will put the players ahead of ETH and when the players throw ETH under the bus (which they will, 100% sure of that), ETH will be fired and we'll hit the reset button again.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Absolutely, and this is why Ralf R was brought in.
He is good at assessing what is wrong and what needs to change. My issue is that the board are not going to listen to his recommendations and will continue down the same road that they have been going.

So far, they've hired ETH (but they previously hired Jose, LVG, Moyes, etc, so that's not a change in philosophy), but I don't see there being any attempts to get the players who are clearly not cut out for MUFC, out of the club. They need to be swift and move as quickly as possible, otherwise, it'll be another 20 years before we win a league title.

Lets hope we can get rid. Looser mentality
Yep.
Too many fans are pandering to players who are absolutely crap!
Not only that but there are some deluded fans who believe that ETH will sprinkle fairy dust and make everything okay. Life doesn't work like that.
To change our trajectory, hard decisions need to be made and so far I've seen very little of that.

Telsim

Just sell him for 10 million. Or gift him for free. Or anything. No one will take him otherwise. We are looking at paying 250k/week to a literal paperweight. Anything from this point on is a total loss.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
@sunama
ETH hasn't started yet? Maybe he can come in first and then make those decisions. Decide who needs to go and what players he wants to keep.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We clearly think money grows on trees. Paying Martial and Rashford the wages they'd received IF they fulfilled their potential, but before that, for no apparent reason. Bang average players like Telles and perma-bench ones like Henderson getting 100K is just taking the piss.

diarm

Just sell him for 10 million. Or gift him for free. Or anything. No one will take him otherwise. We are looking at paying 250k/week to a literal paperweight. Anything from this point on is a total loss.
Harsh.

Paperweights are useful in the function they are purchased for.

AndySmith1990

It's no wonder we have so many egos in the squad who believe they have made it and the sun shines out their arses. We pay them the sort of wages that clubs like Bayern, Liverpool and City only hand out to star players who have proven their worth.

If a person interprets money as a reflection of self worth then in Rashford eyes he's every bit as valuable as Mo Salah. It's a stupid and irresponsible way to run a club. Woodward, man, what a clown.

MayfieldsFinest

Martial is going to score over 20 goals for us next season. Nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling and I have a substantial gut.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Martial is going to score over 20 goals for us next season. Nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling and I have a substantial gut.
Martial sulks at every opportunity and has been pretty crap as a player for us, for a while. You are ignoring that and instead of going on your gut feeling, which you admit is totally illogical.

This is exactly the kind of thought process that has seen us overpay for mediocre footballers. Rather than cutting ties with the likes of Rashford, Martial, Pogba, etc, we hang onto them in the blind hope that one day, they'll come good. Even now, the board are hoping that Pogba signs a big contract. Some fans think that the club are changing the way they run things....they are not. Their way of thinking is exactly the same - hang onto mediocrity, pay big transfer fees and the highest wages, and then hope that turds can be polished.

MayfieldsFinest

Martial sulks at every opportunity and has been pretty crap as a player for us, for a while. You are ignoring that and instead of going on your gut feeling, which you admit is totally illogical.

This is exactly the kind of thought process that has seen us overpay for mediocre footballers. Rather than cutting ties with the likes of Rashford, Martial, Pogba, etc, we hang onto them in the blind hope that one day, they'll come good. Even now, the board are hoping that Pogba signs a big contract. Some fans think that the club are changing the way they run things....they are not. Their way of thinking is exactly the same - hang onto mediocrity, pay big transfer fees and the highest wages, and then hope that turds can be polished.
You're taking me a lot more seriously than I take myself.

lex talionis

It was a while ago now, but I got flogged here for suggesting that selling Martial for 10m would be good business for us. At this point I can’t even imagine another club taking Martial on a free transfer. It may be best for all involved that we just run down the contract and not even ask him to come to training.

downunder red

Being a member of Southern Hemisphere Paperweight Society I take umbrage to the fact you compare Martial with a paperweight. Every paperweight I have ever known have tried to do their job to the best of their ability. Unlike that useless lump.

Abraxas

Even giving him away is a problem. We near enough gave him away to Sevilla and he wasn't motivated to put in effort.

So if you're a prospective side looking at taking Martial on a free, why would you even think about offering him terms close to what he has come to expect?

And if you're Martial why would you even think of taking a massive pay cut when you know you're simply not that bothered about performing.

Nope, it's a bad situation.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Even giving him away is a problem. We near enough gave him away to Sevilla and he wasn't motivated to put in effort.

So if you're a prospective side looking at taking Martial on a free, why would you even think about offering him terms close to what he has come to expect?

And if you're Martial why would you even think of taking a massive pay cut when you know you're simply not that bothered about performing.

Nope, it's a bad situation.
That's why selling him last summer was the right move. Martial FC got on your back for even suggesting it though.

Same reason we shouldn't extend De Gea. Let his contract run out. No one will take him and he's not the future unless ETH is going for something drastically different than he was doing at Ajax.

Moriarty

ETH doesn't need our support. He needs the board's support.
My gut feeling tells me that the board will put the players ahead of ETH and when the players throw ETH under the bus (which they will, 100% sure of that), ETH will be fired and we'll hit the reset button again.
That's about the size of it isn't it? The way this club has handed out contract extensions like sweets beggars belief. I hope they stick with Ten Hag and let him do what he needs to do, even if that means ditching club 'assets.'

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He played a part in getting both Mourinho and Ole sacked with his performances and sulking. We can and absolutely should just get rid of him so he can stink up someplace else like he is doing at Sevilla right now.

Despite having his best season ever under Ole he never kicked on and instead went to shit because we brought Cavani in to share the burden and push him on. When Ronaldo came in he gave up completely and asked to leave. There is no place for him in this squad.

He will get any manager he works under sacked.
How'd he play a part in getting Mourinho sacked? Sure he was poor in Mourinho's first season, but he spent the next 18 months comfortably outperforming everyone else on the left wing whenever he actually got a chance, but Mourinho blatantly didn't like him and kept trying to play Rashford then Sanchez ahead of him despite them playing significantly worse.

In fact a large reason that Mourinho didn't get sacked earlier was because he bit the bullet and put Martial back in as first choice on the left, who (along with Pogba) then dragged the team to a bunch of good results. That kept Mourinho in a job for a couple of months longer than he should have been.

Him falling apart these last two seasons obviously played a part in the failures under Ole which saw him get sacked, but certainly not Mourinho.

talking robot

For better or worse (probably worse), he'll probably get a shot to save his career here. Can't see anyone buying him with those wages.

Adamsk7

He’ll be another that we constantly loan out until his deal is up just because of his insane salary

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It was a while ago now, but I got flogged here for suggesting that selling Martial for 10m would be good business for us. At this point I can’t even imagine another club taking Martial on a free transfer. It may be best for all involved that we just run down the contract and not even ask him to come to training.
This would actually be a breach of the employers responsibility and a breach of contract. If Martial does not show up for practice the club can eventually pursue legal action, and vice cersa if the club denies him the right to attend his workplace