Anthony Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitchett

He used to be a very good referee, but he is now right down there with the worst of them - Atkinson, Moss, Oliver. The handball not given is right up there amongst the worst decisions I have ever seen in my 59 years of watching United. The "advantage" played, instead of awarding a free kick on the edge of the box was truly mind boggling as well.

Don't forget that this is the cnut who sent off Martial last year, whilst Lamela escaped punishment, in the 6-1 loss to Tottenham last season.

RedStarUnited

Why would it? Do players get better because they do a post match interview? They just mumble some platitudes, sprinkle in a few clichés and it's done.

I am sure they do explain their decisions to the relevant bodies. At least I hope they do, that should be part of their appraisal or debriefing each week, and if it isn't that's a mistake in such a high pressure job. But no, I don't think they should be required to explain to you.
You are talking about general after match convos. Whenever theres a dodgy decision, a players always asked outright and they do respond to it.

They should be required to explain to me (fans). Because we are the driving force behind the sport. Even if they do the debrief, the FA or whoever should then release a statement explaining a decision.

People make so many excuses for referees.

Abraxas

You are talking about general after match convos. Whenever theres a dodgy decision, a players always asked outright and they do respond to it.

They should be required to explain to me (fans). Because we are the driving force behind the sport. Even if they do the debrief, the FA or whoever should then release a statement explaining a decision.

People make so many excuses for referees.
Just because you are a fan of the sport doesn't mean it's in the overall interest of said sport for you to get everything that you want. That's not the way it works. If the PL listened to fans on every point we'd be in serious trouble.

The fact is these guys are the best we've got. You may not like them or the decisions currently, but they are. So if there are going to be improvements they've got to find ideas that tangibly impact standards. Whether that's better training, better accountability within the refereeing structure, micing them up to help gain authority on the pitch and highlight poor player behaviour, these are serious ideas.

Explaining to you in a post match interview might be highly interesting for you as a fan that is consuming media but it's not a serious suggestion that correlates with improvement as there is no possible outcome that will please the masses and has bugger all to do with in game, pressurised decision making.

If they apologize it changes nothing and are they going to then say sorry sir after every mistake, if they say they made the decision correctly because of an interpretation of rule X is that going to please the blood hungry hordes?

The idea is based on emotion and optics and not impacting standards.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He used to be a very good referee, but he is now right down there with the worst of them - Atkinson, Moss, Oliver. The handball not given is right up there amongst the worst decisions I have ever seen in my 59 years of watching United. The "advantage" played, instead of awarding a free kick on the edge of the box was truly mind boggling as well.

Don't forget that this is the cnut who sent off Martial last year, whilst Lamela escaped punishment, in the 6-1 loss to Tottenham last season.
Yes, the advantage played was atrocious. In no sane thought is a ball that wide from goal with a defender lurking a more advantageous position than from where the free kick would have been taken.

Perhaps he was taking into account CR7 would have been the free kick taker?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just because you are a fan of the sport doesn't mean it's in the overall interest of said sport for you to get everything that you want. That's not the way it works. If the PL listened to fans on every point we'd be in serious trouble.

The fact is these guys are the best we've got. You may not like them or the decisions currently, but they are. So if there are going to be improvements they've got to find ideas that tangibly impact standards. Whether that's better training, better accountability within the refereeing structure, micing them up to help gain authority on the pitch and highlight poor player behaviour, these are serious ideas.

Explaining to you in a post match interview might be highly interesting for you as a fan that is consuming media but it's not a serious suggestion that correlates with improvement as there is no possible outcome that will please the masses and has bugger all to do with in game, pressurised decision making.

If they apologize it changes nothing and are they going to then say sorry sir after every mistake, if they say they made the decision correctly because of an interpretation of rule X is that going to please the blood hungry hordes?

The idea is based on emotion and optics and not impacting standards.
I don't see what asking them to explain a decision after would achieve as it'd just be the same bollocks we already get from VAR where the interpretation of the rules are retrospectively changed to fit around the decision.

If you put a mic on a ref during the game however I guarantee you it would make a very big difference. If they have to explain a decision in the moment, and according to the rules, all of the obvious "mistakes" which the correct application of the rules cannot explain would have to stop. Either that or there would be a corruption investigation every other week and two thirds of the ref's would end up suspended. If Taylor has a mic on him last night he gives handball, because he wouldn't be able to explain not giving it without sounding like a cheat/liar to millions of people. It's not unfair to put pressure on a referee when it is only pressure if they are choosing to not do their job properly. This is why other sports can do it without any hassle at all.

And the standard really is that bad I'm afraid. It is just obvious dishonest refereeing on a weekly basis. It has never been anywhere near this bad before and we already know it was a corrupted system back in 2016 because Clattenberg told everyone it was and admitted he basically fixed a game. It's gotten significantly worse since and it's very hard to equate that to the idea it's a problem with the system rather than people working in it. They've been given a literal fool proof tool since in VAR and rather than using it to eliminate or reduce errors they are using it to manufacture wrong decisions. Despite officials in competitions outside of England being able to use it with little to no issue.

It's quite important that it is sorted out. It's rendering the sporting element of football completely irrelevant by over riding the results of games. Like it did last night

Last edited:

Fitchett

I don't see what asking them to explain a decision after would achieve as it'd just be the same bollocks we already get from VAR where the interpretation of the rules are retrospectively changed to fit around the decision.

If you put a mic on a ref during the game however I guarantee you it would make a very big difference. If they have to explain a decision in the moment, and according to the rules, all of the obvious "mistakes" which the correct application of the rules cannot explain would have to stop. Either that or there would be a corruption investigation every other week and two thirds of the ref's would end up suspended. If Taylor has a mic on him last night he gives handball, because he wouldn't be able to explain not giving it without sounding like a cheat/liar to millions of people. It's not unfair to put pressure on a referee when it is only pressure if they are choosing to not do their job properly. This is why other sports can do it without any hassle at all.

And the standard really is that bad I'm afraid. It is just obvious dishonest refereeing on a weekly basis. It has never been anywhere near this bad before and we already know it was a corrupted system back in 2016 because Clattenberg told everyone it was and admitted he basically fixed a game. It's gotten significantly worse since and it's very hard to equate that to the idea it's a problem with the system rather than people working in it. They've been given a literal fool proof tool since in VAR and rather than using it to eliminate or reduce errors they are using it to manufacture wrong decisions. Despite officials in competitions outside of England being able to use it with little to no issue.

It's quite important that it is sorted out. It's rendering the sporting element of football completely irrelevant by over riding the results of games. Like it did last night
This.
When VAR was introduced I said that it would show whether English referees had previously been incompetent or corrupt. There can be no doubt now that most, if not all, PL referees are corrupt. As @noodlehair says, they were never as bad as they are now, despite now having the tools to eliminate 99% of bad calls.

lex talionis

I can understand how Taylor didn't see the handball offence for what it was in real time, but the VAR official should have seen it instantly once it went to VAR. I'm not all that bothered by United being dumped out of the FA Cup but I am bothered by appalling officiating.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This.
When VAR was introduced I said that it would show whether English referees had previously been incompetent or corrupt. There can be no doubt now that most, if not all, PL referees are corrupt. As @noodlehair says, they were never as bad as they are now, despite now having the tools to eliminate 99% of bad calls.
I've posted the link to the Clattenberg interview in a few threads today where he gives a direct example of being corrupt during a premier league game and explains how it is quite normal to referee a game to the narrative or outcome you want, rather than according to the rules. Anyone thinking it can't or doesn't happen is just kidding themselves since that point. We've been told by a premier league referee that this is how it works. He wasn't investigated for it. No one came out and denied it. It's unchallenged evidence.

Corrupt might be a strong word but if you are a football referee and actively choose to not correctly or fairly enforce the rules of football, I don't know what other word there is for it? Derranged?

What VAR has done like you have said is expose how bad the problem really is. Before an error could be down to a referee not seeing the incident clearly. Now the implementation of VAR has all but removed that.

So instead we now have rules being re-written or interpreted wrongly mid game to explain away wrong decisions in spite of clear video evidence being available. A problem referees have only coincidentally started suffering from since the exact point that VAR was introduced. Amazing as far as coincidences go.

Every time a rule has to be re-interpreted to explain away a wrong decision, it then creates a string of other wrong decisions where there is no longer a correct way to interpret that rule, since the officials have told everyone that the wrong way to interpret it is in fact the right way, which means making the right decision is now wrong and making the wrong decision is supposedly right but is also obviously wrong to anyone with common sense and working eyes.

I think they've created a massive fecking mess and are trying to dig their way out of it. Instead of using VAR to start officiating to the rules instead of to narratives, they've tried to carry on as was and its spiralling downwards.

Hughie77

It’s absolutely ridiculous…..nowhere else on the pitch would anyone think that isn’t handball….so why should it be allowed in the most important area of the pitch. It isn’t ok because he didn’t score, that’s not relevant at all here. He controlled the ball with his hand is all that matters anywhere on the pitch, it didn’t just brush against it.
I hear you and I'm in the same boat as you as are many more. It's not sour grapes your out of the cup it's a blatant use of a rule that makes no sense whatsoever ever. Now the offside rule changed after City scored against Villa . Let's see if they do with this rule . Its plain as the fecking nose on your face ruled out. He might as well have caught it put down then passed it .
I'm still livid over it. Burnley next big push for top 4 needed now

Hughie77

I've posted the link to the Clattenberg interview in a few threads today where he gives a direct example of being corrupt during a premier league game and explains how it is quite normal to referee a game to the narrative or outcome you want, rather than according to the rules. Anyone thinking it can't or doesn't happen is just kidding themselves since that point. We've been told by a premier league referee that this is how it works. He wasn't investigated for it. No one came out and denied it. It's unchallenged evidence.

Corrupt might be a strong word but if you are a football referee and actively choose to not correctly or fairly enforce the rules of football, I don't know what other word there is for it? Derranged?

What VAR has done like you have said is expose how bad the problem really is. Before an error could be down to a referee not seeing the incident clearly. Now the implementation of VAR has all but removed that.

So instead we now have rules being re-written or interpreted wrongly mid game to explain away wrong decisions in spite of clear video evidence being available. A problem referees have only coincidentally started suffering from since the exact point that VAR was introduced. Amazing as far as coincidences go.

Every time a rule has to be re-interpreted to explain away a wrong decision, it then creates a string of other wrong decisions where there is no longer a correct way to interpret that rule, since the officials have told everyone that the wrong way to interpret it is in fact the right way, which means making the right decision is now wrong and making the wrong decision is supposedly right but is also obviously wrong to anyone with common sense and working eyes.

I think they've created a massive fecking mess and are trying to dig their way out of it. Instead of using VAR to start officiating to the rules instead of to narratives, they've tried to carry on as was and its spiralling downwards.
Spot on . And the word is corrupt. It can be nothing else.

Irrational.

Very, very poor. Got every big call wrong, and failed to send off two Liverpool players. He’s inept, but we also have worse referees in the PL, which is a scary thought.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hate the way refs ‘manage’ a game to an agenda rather than just officiate what actually happens

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Fine 1st half then suddenly was replaced by his evil twin for the second.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's always doing Chelsea over. Clear red card for Romero that.
He’s done Utd over many a time too. He’s just crap. I did enjoy him letting challenges go today though, contributed to a better game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I mean that's on VAR not him, he didn't get a chance to look at it.

He's a dogshit ref mind.
It's on him. He's looking straight at it and it's at least a foul and yellow. But he lets it go and VAR can only give us a free kick by saying it's a straight red.

NinjaFletch

It's on him. He's looking straight at it and it's at least a foul and yellow. But he lets it go and VAR can only give us a free kick by saying it's a straight red.
Which it is once you see what happens. I don't think (and maybe I'm wrong) from his angle he can see it's hair yanking rather than the usual corner wrestling that refs always let go for some reason.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He gave zero yellow cards to Spurs players today. ;)

Meino

There have to be a response after having such a horrible match, right?
I cannot fathom how a league of this stature can have such awful officials.
The Romero incident is soooo bad, the bald geezer is looking right at the situation!

arthurka

The assistant is right at it when Havertz is fouled and doesn't give anything, why didn't VAR call that as as the game didn't stop until Tottenham scored. Then there is the hair pulling, Jesus Christ. That's a red card and a free kick to Chelsea every single day of the week. Should be demoted to the Championship with his VAR team and co refs. Plus Richarlison was offside for the goal.

Swedish_Plumber

It’s clear his baldness clouded his judgement on that Romero call.

Surely Romero gets a retrospective ban for that? It’s completely unnecessary thuggery.

Status
Not open for further replies.