Anthony Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

I haven't in fairness. But it looked like he tripped himself up at best, dive at worst, in real time so I can get why we weren't awarded the penalty.

The blatant handball on the other hand was a fecking shocker of a decision.
I thought that too in real time, but the slow motion shows clear contact. For me it was the most obvious penalty of them all and quite incredible that VAR didn't intervene. Again

SAF is the GOAT

Him and his team will be refereeing the game between Napoli VS frankfurt - good luck to both sides

lex talionis

But that was again a failure on the Marriner side of things, not so much Taylor.

To be fair it’s not just us who have fallen foul to poor decisions. The amount of awful refereeing and VAR decisions I’ve seen in other games has been horrendous this season.
The role of Marriner cannot be overstated in what happened against Southampton. I wonder exactly what the instructions are for the referee group as a whole in situations where the referee sees something but decides based on what he sees that it's nothing, but that the VAR referee sees -- or in this case should have seen -- something that warrants a further look.

I suppose in this case Marriner saw the handball but decided it wasn't a handball -- despite it clearly being a handball -- so Taylor was never called in to have a look at the monitor. But even if if it's a close call one ways or the other shouldn't Taylor have been directed by Marriner to have a look for himself?

Countervailing that protocol is the practical desire to keep the game flowing and not stop play for every "close call" that arises.

Wezzaldo

The role of Marriner cannot be overstated in what happened against Southampton. I wonder exactly what the instructions are for the referee group as a whole in situations where the referee sees something but decides based on what he sees that it's nothing, but that the VAR referee sees -- or in this case should have seen -- something that warrants a further look.

I suppose in this case Marriner saw the handball but decided it wasn't a handball -- despite it clearly being a handball -- so Taylor was never called in to have a look at the monitor. But even if if it's a close call one ways or the other shouldn't Taylor have been directed by Marriner to have a look for himself?

Countervailing that protocol is the practical desire to keep the game flowing and not stop play for every "close call" that arises.
The message was that they are not to interfere this season unless it is ‘a clear and obvious error’. Which in my opinion the yellow was not, as the match official spotted it and gave what he thought was adequate. VAR shouldn’t have intervened on that instance as it is a subjective decision and one that Howard Webb has told VAR officials not to interfere with.

However the two penalty decisions were missed by the match official, so should have been reviewed and allowed the referee to review on the monitor.

So in summary, Marriner officiated all incidents as a VAR operator incorrectly.

RyRy11

The message was that they are not to interfere this season unless it is ‘a clear and obvious error’. Which in my opinion the yellow was not, as the match official spotted it and gave what he thought was adequate. VAR shouldn’t have intervened on that instance as it is a subjective decision and one that Howard Webb has told VAR officials not to interfere with.

However the two penalty decisions were missed by the match official, so should have been reviewed and allowed the referee to review on the monitor.

The funny thing is, if Marriner officiated at least one of those incidents correctly we probably wouldn't be on this witch hunt.

I also keep seeing this notion from rival fans that don't watch us week in and week out that "every team gets bad decisions" which up until now I have agreed with. Now we have this long strain of awful decisions that build the ill feeling. It feels like every game we have some ridiculous decision made against us.

I don't believe it's some greater conspiracy but when people like Klopp or the broadcast pundits can come out and say we get to many pens etc, then not receive half of the decisions we've deserved since, it makes you wonder how much public opinion effects the ability of the refs to be unbiased.

lex talionis

That's about right to me. The one thing I would say is that the Casemiro foul was arguably a reversible error and thus the elevation of the yellow to a red was defensible. But sticking with the yellow card was defensible too. What makes that decision frustrating isn't the decision itself but deeming that foul a red card offense while allowing more brutish tackles in other matches to go unpunished with a red card as well.

I can live with the non-calls that led to the felling of Bruno and then Rashford in the box, but there is no remotely plausible explanation for letting the obvious handball offense go uncalled.

Maticmaker

Before VAR that was deemed inevitable, and that in keeping the game flowing, there would be mistakes that occurred, because the officials are only human!
However now we have VAR, every close call which can influence the outcome of a game, must be investigated; actions in the box that could lead to a penalty, a red card situation, etc. and of course offside issues. This should happen no matter how many 'close calls' there are, even if one arises every five minutes and it takes two hours to finish the game.
Surely we cannot say "we now have the technology, but only use it when we feel like it".... every silver lining has a cloud! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.