Anti-knife chicken and chips campaign

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm sorry but they did look at the roost of the issue.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
My first thought was that it was really poor racial stereotyping. Then read the article to see loads of people have already brought up the same point.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Why do all these people think just black kids eat at these chicken shops?

MadMike

I was about to ask the same thing. They are clearly places frequented by youths, especially in poor areas, of whatever colour or creed. At least based on my experience of living in East London.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They ought to cluck up their ideas. Nonsense that won't make a difference.

P-Nut

So you think there is no stereotype that black people frequent chicken shops more often than people of other races? And that hasn't played a part in the reason the government has chosen them, over say bakeries or any other fast food outlets?

dbs235

So you think there is no stereotype that black people frequent chicken shops more often than people of other races? And that hasn't played a part in the reason the government has chosen them, over say bakeries or any other fast food outlets?
:lol::lol:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Of course there is a stereotype about black people eating chicken but these shops are frequented massively by the age group that this is aimed at, by people of all colours. Just because the stereotype is there doesn’t mean they’ve picked it to aim at black kids.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Of course there is a stereotype about black people eating chicken but these shops are frequented massively by the age group that this is aimed at, by people of all colours. Just because the stereotype is there doesn’t mean they’ve picked it to aim at black kids.
Exactly, as others have said, the people claiming it is racial stereotyping are the ones racially stereotyping, not the government.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Yet again, proof that corporate executives have no clue about the real world outside their business offices.

Sara125

I'm sorry but they did look at the roost of the issue.
No they didn’t. The problem with a lot of these campaigns are that they seem to think it’s as black and white as ‘young black boys are just going round killing each other’, yes if you look at statistics it may seem that way but this is superficial and people don’t look at the deeper issue.

It’s all well and good encouraging people to put down the knife but then how are you gonna ensure safety once this has happened? Because a lot of the stabbings are gang related and the reality for a lot of these boys is that they HAVE to have a weapon to protect themselves. And the reason they join gangs lies within the fact that these boys grow up without a chance from the beginning- they are living in poverty, have no real role models or clubs, centres etc. that they can go to to engage in extra curricular activities. Funding all these kind of things is the first step to a more productive solution rather than simply putting messages on fast food boxes :/

Edit: just saw you were actually making a pun my bad but I’m gonna leave this post as it is for those who think this campaign is a good idea.

Sara125

Also for the people saying ‘it’s not racially targeted and those who think it is are racist themselves’ (btw this line is a classic :lol:) there was a statement I saw, which isn’t in this particular article, where they said that this is to help ‘ethnics’ and I’m not gonna pretend that I don’t know what that is code for.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This seems like someone trying to find a solution but completely winging it. If they were challenged on their methods they probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Honestly, it's greasy to approach it this way and they're probably relying on a spicy response to generate a few clucks on social media. Hope they get battered.

Classical Mechanic

It’s like something out of The Thick of It. Even the ex gang leader come community worker I heard on the radio this morning seemed to be a parody ‘these boxes get ketchup and mustard on them so the message might be hard to read’. I thought I was living in the TV or something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It’s like something out of The Thick of It. Even the ex gang leader come community worker I heard on the radio this morning seemed to be a parody ‘these boxes get ketchup and mustard on them so the message might be hard to read’. I thought I was living in the TV or something.
Nope, you made that up.:lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As if you needed any more clues as to just how out of touch politicians are. I mean, mustard in a kebab shop??

P-Nut

Also for the people saying ‘it’s not racially targeted and those who think it is are racist themselves’ (btw this line is a classic :lol:) there was a statement I saw, which isn’t in this particular article, where they said that this is to help ‘ethnics’ and I’m not gonna pretend that I don’t know what that is code for.
The fact I'm a black male, and being told I'm racially stereotyping myself :lol:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I thought this idea actually came about from a particular chicken shop (morleys?) wanting to pitch in on the campaign against knife crime after an incident outside one of their shops, and then the government sort of took their idea and scaled it up. Doesn't seem to be too much in the press about the actual background of it.
Yeah, this seems to be the case. A kid called Jay Hughes was stabbed to death outside one of their shops in 2018. The managing director of the company wanted to do something about it so he approached a media group for advice. This apparently led to Morley's working with the Home Office and together with Chicken Cottage launching the #knifefree campaign that kicked off in April.

A chicken shop approached the government, not the other way round.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's a really dumb point being made on the news suggesting it's comparing knife crime with chicken and trivialising it.
Lots of talk of the stereotype being brought up but obviously no mention of the actual origin. You could certainly argue it was dumb not to foresee this and roll it out in other places, but at the end of the day, those kind of takeaways are popular with young people more than say, an Indian or chippy.

I don't think it's an amazing idea by any stretch but the original reason had some meaning and thought behind it at least.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
My first thought was that it was really poor racial stereotyping. Then read the article to see loads of people have already brought up the same point.
Knife crime is more common among young men, more common among young men from low income households, and even more common among young black men from low income households. All three of those groups visit chicken shops more than average and that difference increases as you go through each group.

Regardless of whether it's appropriate to target crime messaging to the groups that perpetrate it most often, or whether reaching them at this point in this way is an effective deterrent, it's a matter of fact that the targeting is supported by the evidence. And the targeting is to utilise the money for this campaign most efficiently. Just because it fits with a cultural stereotype doesn't change that.