Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Sadly this is probably a message (indirectly from his agent) to encourage other clubs to increase/table offers.

Rating his chances at joining us as 6/10 is quite disrespectful as well IMO - clearly not high priority and effectively an option if a someone preferable doesn't come in. Obviously he can change this post Europa League final and say 10/10 whilst we have CL football but something about it irks me.
What other clubs? The only other club mentioned was Real Madrid and they were given a no chance. The 6 out of 10 was pretty logical. CL is probably important BUT we have to have an offer accepted. So giving Athletico a 7 or higher number was obvious as it's too early to give much away. When he say's 6? It's probably an 8 ;) . We've obviously talked to him. I think he was aware of the questions and this is part of the game. It's disrespectful to the fans and the supporters but they reason it away. He could have said, he's heard nothing or it's in the hands of his agent. Look at how the player celebrates! He's a player and he's just having a bit of fun. Look how after xmas he was starting to 'get irritated' and now he's relaxed....it's all a show not to let the cat out the bad so soon and during a big period for his club. I would assume he did them a favour staying another year. That's just the feeling I get because he had a chance to say - if the coach stays I stay and he didn't....he didn't even given them a 10. He gave them a 7.

Gbenger

Sadly this is probably a message (indirectly from his agent) to encourage other clubs to increase/table offers.

Rating his chances at joining us as 6/10 is quite disrespectful as well IMO - clearly not high priority and effectively an option if a someone preferable doesn't come in. Obviously he can change this post Europa League final and say 10/10 whilst we have CL football but something about it irks me.
This is how I see it as well and strangely what irks more is the knowledge that few see it this way. Maybe just due to the fact I don't rate him as high as others do.

Frankly I'm fine with the signing but I wouldn't mind at all if he doesn't come and we get James Rodriguez instead.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
--------------Rashford--------------
Micky-------Griezmann------Silva
---------Pogba--------Herrera------

Sub options:
Ibra
Martial
Mata
Dier
Lingard
Perreira

Feck me that is some Attack.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's pretty simple... anything more then a 6 would basically indicate that he's coming to us... and he probably can't or doesn't want to do that as yet.

It's like when you're rating someone out of 10... give them a 7 or above and they'll be fairly happy, but give them a 6...

Tosicsleftpeg

He's a fantastic player, watched him a few times this season and I don't think he's a main centre forward type who would lead the line for united he's more of a withdrawn striker. He does score plenty of goals but for me he'd be playing off the main forward i.e Rashford or martial.

His main strengths for me are his touch, pace, dribbling and finishing but his general play is brilliant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Holy shit. You can't say that without knowing you're leaving. Making out like he's unsure cranks up the media machine and makes his brand bigger, a la Zlatan.

AXVnee7

There is a problem in your thinking mate. Wednesday doesn't get bigger because Griezmann "might" come if we are in the Champions League. Wednesday is as big as it can get because our whole season, and the rebuilding of the club depends on it. If we don't make champions league, this season is an unequivocal failure, and we can't afford to have 4 of those in a row! We will again have to start from base camp and rethink the future strategy!
If now knowing Griezmann is waiting on us to secure CL football is an added incentive to win, then yes Wednesday does get bigger. There's no problem with this logic, it's common sense.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I like these 6/10 probability odds. Its on :drool:

Kant-ona

Wow. If a player speaks that frankly about a possible transfer, it's done and dusted.

chicha14

So he says: "Lets talk next season. What comes to mind if I say "Manchester United". Grizou says "Possible".

Then the guy says "If 10 means you've already (secretly) signed, where would you say you're at right now?" and Grizou says "6".

The guy asks if he realizes what he's saying and Grizou says yes. Then the guy asks if it's the first time he's said this publicly and Antoine says yes once again.

What is the bit about Beckham?

Womp

idiot
This guy is the best player in the world outside of the big two in Spain and people wouldn't want him here? He scores a feck load of goals playing for the most defensive team in Europe. When he was struggling earlier on in the season, Atleti looked terrible. When he started performing, so did they. He's a phenomenal footballer.

TrueRed79

He's ours regardless of tomorrow nights result. Nobody comes out with what he has said unless he's on the move. I'd be pretty sure he has already said his goodbyes at AM. Welcome Antoine.

RedMaestro

This guy is the best player in the world outside of the big two in Spain and people wouldn't want him here? He scores a feck load of goals playing for the most defensive team in Europe. When he was struggling earlier on in the season, Atleti looked terrible. When he started performing, so did they. He's a phenomenal footballer.
But do things really work like that? Just pick the best player and put him in the team? He has to fit the system too. Not saying that he won't, just that those that aren't interested may think this way?

He's a fantastic player and would probably be great. Expensive, but great. What if he'd pick something different, maybe Bayern Munich?

Peanut Butter

He's ours regardless of tomorrow nights result. Nobody comes out with what he has said unless he's on the move. I'd be pretty sure he has already said his goodbyes at AM. Welcome Antoine.
Agree - tomorrow's final won't effect where he wants to be playing his football for the next 3-5 years. Jose would have discussed his project with Greasyman and the lad might be excited about where we are aiming to be long term.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The guy is absolute class.

Size and frame will always be a natural issue for fans of United.

He's 1 in 2 for Atletico, his finishing rate is quality where he doesn't need to pepper the goal with shots all day long to bag a goal or two. He pops up in those spaces where we always look and think why is nobody there?

The price is becoming the norm unfortunately. But the player himself? Would be just right for us.

I could see him and Rashford forming a very good partnership with quick thinking and sharp movement.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's pretty much the Spanish style version of Rooney back when he was at his best.

He will play behind Rashford leading the line.

Eugen Hume

What is the bit about Beckham?
That's just the show host saying: "What would you say about Manchester United like Beckham?"

I guess he knew Beckham's his idol so he put him in the question. Watched the full interview and he mentioned Beckham and United again and he said something like he's not really trying to be like Beckham by possibly going to Utd but is following his own career path.

He was asked about working with Zidane at Real and his no was immediate and definite :lol:

But makes you wonder, are we the only ones willing to meet his release clause? The Bayern rumours last week were just gossip surely?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Antoine - the deal is done.
What other clubs? The only other club mentioned was Real Madrid and they were given a no chance. The 6 out of 10 was pretty logical. CL is probably important BUT we have to have an offer accepted. So giving Athletico a 7 or higher number was obvious as it's too early to give much away. When he say's 6? It's probably an 8 ;) . We've obviously talked to him. I think he was aware of the questions and this is part of the game. It's disrespectful to the fans and the supporters but they reason it away. He could have said, he's heard nothing or it's in the hands of his agent. Look at how the player celebrates! He's a player and he's just having a bit of fun. Look how after xmas he was starting to 'get irritated' and now he's relaxed....it's all a show not to let the cat out the bad so soon and during a big period for his club. I would assume he did them a favour staying another year. That's just the feeling I get because he had a chance to say - if the coach stays I stay and he didn't....he didn't even given them a 10. He gave them a 7.
Bayern have been mentioned quite a few times. Rummenigge said something like Bayern are going to spend huge this summer. I hope he talked about Sanchez though.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
--------------Rashford--------------
Micky-------Griezmann------Silva
---------Pogba--------Herrera------

Sub options:
Ibra
Martial
Mata
Dier
Lingard
Perreira

Feck me that is some Attack.
Cracking attack, feel this will only work with excellent attacking full backs.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Him and Pogba in the same Team would be amazing. I also believe that with him in the Team Players like Mkhi or Mata will improve as his movement is maybe the best of any Footballer.

JoaquinJoaquin

Some of the same people saying this kind of thing want Eric fecking Dier to be signed.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Don't worry about it. He'll come to Liverpool to be a part of Klopps big rebuild. Definitely.

plex

Since he wants to play Champions League, I guess he's waiting for the EL cup final result. If Ajax wins I'd say he won't come.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Lacazette is cut from the same cloth as the top strikers at the top European clubs. His profile is somewhere in the class of Lewandowski, Benzema and Louis Saha. Yes - you read that right. But I will come back to this.

These group of strikers are first and foremost "number 9s". They score goals. May I point out that the debate on wether Griezmann is a striker in the hole or a wide forward is not one that Manchester United can afford the time to find out.
When the new season kicks off, we want to have round pegs in round holes. See the debate on wether Pogba is a number 10 or 8, or if he can play in a 2-man midfield.

Quite frankly, I believe Manchester United should tailor their recruitment to their actual footballing needs - goals, and should avoid signing a posterboy for marketing.

For those who dont know, Lacazette has scored 31 league goals this season compared to 17 from Griezmann, and in less appearances too. Even concerning is that Griezmann rarely scores more than 1 goal a game. Do Manchester United really want to play out more 1-1 or 1-0 results?

Considering that Lacazette is a year younger and valued somewhere around the £45 million mark, while Griezmann would cost £80 million, signing Lacazette is a no brainer.

Remember United's last number 9 of Guadeloupian origin? Louis Saha. There is a similarity in his style that Lacazette has. The ability to play in a packed box, hold-up play, tidy dribbles, Power and simple layoffs - some of these qualities are the main staples of the likes of Lewandoski and Benzema.

I fervently hope that we avoid what I believe is a mistake by signing Griezmann instead of Lacazette. Our club needs to go back to getting the best bang out of the same buck.

Signing Lacazette instead of Griezmann gives us a striker who fits better, the football style the club thrived on. Finally, of the players such as Bellotti, Griezmann and Lukaku, we've been linked to, Lacazette has the lowest price but the most league goals scored. Bargain or not?
You have answered your own question in the post, Griezmann is NOT an out and out CF. He is what we call a shadow striker, someone who'll play off another forward. He is #10 in Mourinho's 4231.

Also you seem to have gotten your stats wrong. Lacazette has scored 28 goals this season in the league (37 overall) great number no doubt but I don't think you are aware 11 of them have been penalties. He's also missed 3 penalties. His stats are massively inflated due to number of penalties Lyon have gotten this season. Griezmann on the other hand finished the season with 26 goals in 53 appearances in what was a slow and difficult start for Atletico (a goal every 2nd game, 2 of them have been penalties and he has missed further 3) Griezmann has further contributed to 12 assists meaning he plays more of a role than just of a finisher in attack. If he does sign for us, people will be surprised how well rounded his game is. He is a superb dribbler of the ball and is sharp with his passing, something which many don't realize and think he is a CF with great movement and finishing skills. He is much more than that and you're comparing him with the different type of player.

Griezmann is Mourinho's priority in #10 role imo with James being a backup option if we fail to qualify for CL next season, we will sign another forward who will play as a 9 and Griezmann/James will play off him.

Tarrou

Immediately after the 2016 Euros, Manchester United were linked with Antoine Griezmann.

I couldn't believe it. First Pogba, and then Griezmann! My pulse quickened as I imagined this happening. This was the stuff of dreams. I contemplated lowering my zipper and sneaking one off while on the train, but no! I would wait until I was home and my girlfriend asleep or perhaps to wait when this tranfer happened.

I'm glad I waited as time has given me a clearer perspective. Almost a year after that rumour started, my excitement is gone. Like the morning after a wet dream, I want to recreate that feeling of euphoria but it is permanently lost. I've moved on. Then it was Griezmann, but now, right now and finally, Lacazette is the only one for me.

Lacazette is cut from the same cloth as the top strikers at the top European clubs. His profile is somewhere in the class of Lewandowski, Benzema and Louis Saha. Yes - you read that right. But I will come back to this.

These group of strikers are first and foremost "number 9s". They score goals. May I point out that the debate on wether Griezmann is a striker in the hole or a wide forward is not one that Manchester United can afford the time to find out.
When the new season kicks off, we want to have round pegs in round holes. See the debate on wether Pogba is a number 10 or 8, or if he can play in a 2-man midfield.

Quite frankly, I believe Manchester United should tailor their recruitment to their actual footballing needs - goals, and should avoid signing a posterboy for marketing.

For those who dont know, Lacazette has scored 31 league goals this season compared to 17 from Griezmann, and in less appearances too. Even concerning is that Griezmann rarely scores more than 1 goal a game. Do Manchester United really want to play out more 1-1 or 1-0 results?

Considering that Lacazette is a year younger and valued somewhere around the £45 million mark, while Griezmann would cost £80 million, signing Lacazette is a no brainer.

Remember United's last number 9 of Guadeloupian origin? Louis Saha. There is a similarity in his style that Lacazette has. The ability to play in a packed box, hold-up play, tidy dribbles, Power and simple layoffs - some of these qualities are the main staples of the likes of Lewandoski and Benzema.

I fervently hope that we avoid what I believe is a mistake by signing Griezmann instead of Lacazette. Our club needs to go back to getting the best bang out of the same buck.

Signing Lacazette instead of Griezmann gives us a striker who fits better, the football style the club thrived on. Finally, of the players such as Bellotti, Griezmann and Lukaku, we've been linked to, Lacazette has the lowest price but the most league goals scored. Bargain or not?
Surely Griezmann is going to line-up with a striker ahead of him? Jose isn't buying him to be a number 9.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Surely Griezmann is going to line-up with a striker ahead of him? Jose isn't buying him to be a number 9.
Agreed.

Still I think Lacazette would be a great signing for us.

Hope he doesnt go to a Pl rival.

Womp

idiot
Ok so as someone who lives under a rock and knows next to nothing about Griezmann (except that he's hyped as feck), what sort of player is he?
Scores a feck load of goals. Probably the best in the world at movement off the ball and getting into channels. One of the best finishers around. IMO the best player in the world outside of Madrid and Barca.

Status
Not open for further replies.