Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

Bwuk

Last time I checked Neymar was a pacy, dribble-intensive wing-forward.

If Barca pull this off for real, Madrid don't even need to show up for La Liga. Griezmann, Neymar, Messi with Suarez to rotate with as well ... They will outscore every single La Liga opponent.
We’ll see. Great players obviously but I don’t think it’ll be the massive success you’d think it’d be.

-Supreme-

They arrived when Europa League seemed like a one off. Now some players might think it is more of a permanent state.
Perhaps thats what you feel right now, but history has shown that we have bought our most expensive players without CL football.

And to think we will be in Europa league permanently is plain stupid to say the least.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Perhaps thats what you feel right now, but history has shown that we have bought our most expensive players without CL football.

And to think we will be in Europa league permanently is plain stupid to say the least.
You don’t have to be calling names. Especially not when I use „some“ and „might“.
And history is irrelevant when there are oil money clubs now and promising defenders going for €80m.

-Supreme-

You don’t have to be calling names. Especially not when I use „some“ and „might“.
And history is irrelevant when there are oil money clubs now and promising defenders going for €80m.
Oil money clubs have not gone up since we bought Di Maria and Pogba, we are still competing against the same clubs back then.

redshaw

I see this comment pops up all the time but do people realise that our record signings have all arrived to the season where we were in the Europa League?

And given the statue of our club it's not unreasonable to think that we're very likely to be back in the CL competition
I see this comment popping up all the time as well.

Firstly we were three years post Fergie and also employed Jose Mourinho, Pogba came here for the Jose project. A big club looking to bounce back with at the time one of the top managers. Sadly the project turned shit and we've finished top 4 only twice in six years. We finished 7th in 2013 and fecking 6th in 2019 with close to a billion spent, we've gone nowhere and back to where we started, the results and money spent are a shambles in the extreme. Couple that with Ole a complete unknown who had the strangest run of results ever in the second half of last season. Nothing can really be gauged.

Red Keane

If Barca pull this off for real, Madrid don't even need to show up for La Liga. Griezmann, Neymar, Messi with Suarez to rotate with as well ... They will outscore every single La Liga opponent.
Assuming they can pull off signing both Neymar & Griezmann (Doubtful that the former would leave PSG though) alongside De Ligt (Assuming that he stops taking career advice from his agent), I'm guessing this would be their first team/second team lineups next season:

Ter Stegen/Neto
Semedo/Roberto - Pique/De Ligt - Umtiti/Lenglet - Alba/Cucurella
Busquets/De Jong - Arthur/Coutinho
Messi
Dembélé/Malcolm - Suarez/Griezmann - Neymar
Surely this modern day "Dream Team" could be good enough to win the CL, assuming they can lure someone Erik en Hag to the club to manage such a team.

prateik

Was reading about the ongoing nonsesne on BBC.
This made me laugh.. clearly intentional from the beeb as well
'We never talk about other players'
Earlier on Friday, Barca president Josep Bartomeu said the club had made contact with Griezmann and that their former forward Neymar "wants to leave Paris St-Germain".

Brazil international Neymar left Barcelona for PSG in 2017 for a world record fee of 222m euros (£200m) and has been linked with a return.

Bartomeu also said he knows where 19-year-old Netherlands defender Matthijs de Ligt, strongly linked with a move away from Ajax, will be playing next season.

Barcelona have already signed De Ligt's international team-mate Frenkie de Jong from the Dutch champions.

"The first contact with Griezmann was yesterday," said Bartomeu on Friday. "There is an interest, that's why we got together.

"We never talk about players from other teams.

"We know Neymar wants to leave PSG but we know that PSG do not want Neymar to leave.

"I said long ago I knew where De Ligt would play. I still know it and I cannot say more."

UpWithRivers

Ter Stegen/Neto
Semedo/Roberto - Pique/De Ligt - Umtiti/Lenglet - Alba/Cucurella
Busquets/De Jong - Arthur/Coutinho
Messi
Dembélé/Malcolm - Suarez/Griezmann - Neymar
They would have to sell. Probably Coutinho and Dembele will be gone. If the could get 80-90 for each then that would pay for a lot of Neymar + Griezmann fees. But that's a lot of complicated negotiations to complete.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They would have to sell. Probably Coutinho and Dembele will be gone. If the could get 80-90 for each then that would pay for a lot of Neymar + Griezmann fees. But that's a lot of complicated negotiations to complete.
Nobody in their right mind would play 80-90 for Dembelé but stranger things have happened ^^

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I just read Atleti's statement on Barca and Griez doing their dirty deal behind their backs:D Griez, his agent and lawyer told to make sure player is at pre-season as per the terms of his contract.

I have to say, I like how Atleti go about their business, absolutely firm about a situation and taking no shit from player and potential buying club. You can be sure if Griez doesn't turn up to pre-season Atleti will make an example out of him, and quite right too.

Sometimes I wish we would have this attitude.

SSSSnake

This is hilarious to see. He deserves everything he gets for being a prat about it.

Jazz

This is hilarious to see. He deserves everything he gets for being a prat about it.
And Barca wanting time to pay Atleti.... imagine that?
Atleti probably thought Barca had the money since they negotiated with the player, and so went ahead spending money on transfers thinking they'd be getting a fee for him. Of course they're mad as hell.

What a load of shit. Hope he and Barca get sued. Might set a precedent so players start respecting their contracts.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everytime Nobita opens his mouth in public someone shows up to give their image a black eye :lol:

As to this, kind of wish atleti get their hands on this precontract(which i doubt exists) and go to FIFA honestly :devil:

Jazz

Everytime Nobita opens his mouth in public someone shows up to give their image a black eye :lol:

As to this, kind of wish atleti get their hands on this precontract(which i doubt exists) and go to FIFA honestly :devil:
Me too. Imagine the drama:lol:
Will give us a bit of entertainment.

Varun

Staff

Doubt greizmann announces he's leaving without a written contract.

Member 93275

I just read Atleti's statement on Barca and Griez doing their dirty deal behind their backs:D Griez, his agent and lawyer told to make sure player is at pre-season as per the terms of his contract.

I have to say, I like how Atleti go about their business, absolutely firm about a situation and taking no shit from player and potential buying club. You can be sure if Griez doesn't turn up to pre-season Atleti will make an example out of him, and quite right too.

Sometimes I wish we would have this attitude.
The problem is they already spend the money on his successor. I think it's merely transfer sum negotiations.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Doubt greizmann announces he's leaving without a written contract.
Doubt it. Too much of a risk. Keep in mind if they acted behind atletico's back in this griezmann would be taking a big risk if he sued barcelona over it

Bole Top

that squad up on the page is impossible. even if they buy Griez and Neymar, that means they're selling Dembele, Malcolm and Coutinho and that still leaves them with some obvious holes in their squad. spending all the money on those two means they will have sound first 11 but overall rather thin squad and will suffer when they have to rotate.

Semedo asked to leave if I'm not mistaken so their fullback will be Roberto who's rather underwhelming player. they had no backup to Alba and they most likely won't have it this year. there's good chance they'll have some youngsters covering both positions.

they also didn't have backup striker last year so if they actually manage to buy both Griezmann and Neymar, that just means one of the big names is going to sit on the bench more, like Coutinho. also, one or two of Vidal/Rakitic/Rafinha is leaving as well.

they can't afford to buy both of them and also buy decent covers for other positions. they certainly can't afford to buy both of them + De Ligt unless they plan to have fixed first 11 and only youngsters the bench.

Jazz

Little cnut skipped training with Atletico and is apparently forcing the whole thing instead of being pro about it.
Oooh getting my popcorn out:lol:

He would have breached the terms of his contract so I guess Atleti will fine him. I would fine him and he can stay there sulking. If Barca doesn't pay up in full as they should, then he can stay at home sulking. It's his career.
He should be pissed with Barca for trying to lowball Atleti after making that deal with him.

kouroux

Oooh getting my popcorn out:lol:

He would have breached the terms of his contract so I guess Atleti will fine him. I would fine him and he can stay there sulking. If Barca doesn't pay up in full as they should, then he can stay at home sulking. It's his career.
He should be pissed with Barca for trying to lowball Atleti after making that deal with him.
He should still show up to training sessions since nothing has been made official yet.

Jazz

He should still show up to training sessions since nothing has been made official yet.
Of course he should, but if he doesn't, then he bears the consequences of his actions.

He's a little shit for sure. Very dislikable.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I'm getting the sinking feeling that we are going the way of Milan.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Little cnut skipped training with Atletico and is apparently forcing the whole thing instead of being pro about it.
I don't agree with the move to Barcelona in the first place but I believe that you are misguided here. If I'm not mistaken the reason he is skipping training is due to Atletico's communicate from Friday or Thursday, that wasn't particularly professional from them.

Litch

Pool of talented players is a ever decreasing shallow one. Just ends up with the same players jumping ship to other big clubs when ones on the rise and the other is on demise.....

kouroux

I don't agree with the move to Barcelona in the first place but I believe that you are misguided here. If I'm not mistaken the reason he is skipping training is due to Atletico's communicate from Friday or Thursday, that wasn't particularly professional from them.
They were well within their right to make that statement. Nothing unprofessional about it, a bit pointless but not unprofessional.

JPRouve

Scout
They were well within their right to make that statement. Nothing unprofessional about it, a bit pointless but not unprofessional.
No it is unprofesionnal because they have zero proof(if they did they would at the FIFA's office) and they purposely create tensions with a current employee. You can't create a mess and then act as a victim or expect no consequences, that works for both sides. They should all grow up, particularly when clubs like Atletico are perfectly happy to not respect the rules(2017 registration ban) or used third party ownership which wasn't ethical, now they act like some sort of saints and talk about integrity.

And again I don't agree with the potential transfer or how it may have been negotiated but for me you can't make a situation worse and expect something different particularly when they only did it out of spite.

kouroux

No it is unprofesionnal because they have zero proof(if they did they would at the FIFA's office) and they purposely create tensions with a current employee. You can't create a mess and then act as a victim or expect no consequences, that works for both sides. They should all grow up, particularly when clubs like Atletico are perfectly happy to not respect the rules(2017 registration ban) or used third party ownership which wasn't ethical, now they act like some sort of saints and talk about integrity.

And again I don't agree with the potential transfer or how it may have been negotiated but for me you can't make a situation worse and expect something different particularly when they only did it out of spite.
Maybe they do, wanna see this transfer through while doing a good P.R job by villifying Griezman/his agent/Barca as much as possible. I think they're just trying to win on all fronts.

ArjenIsM3

We have no idea if they have proof or not but even from the outside this reeks of foul play from Barcelona (who are known for this) and Griezmann. Besides, if Atletico now take this to court and prevent the transfer from happening they gain nothing yet lose everything. They'll be stuck with a player who wants to leave and miss out on a huge amount of money. Not exactly ideal. Taking the money while calling out Barca and Griezmann is their best option. Hell, I'd sell him first and then report them so they get a transfer ban.

kouroux

We have no idea if they have proof or not but even from the outside this reeks of foul play from Barcelona (who are known for this) and Griezmann. Besides, if Atletico now take this to court and prevent the transfer from happening they gain nothing yet lose everything. They'll be stuck with a player who wants to leave and miss out on a huge amount of money. Not exactly ideal. Taking the money while calling out Barca and Griezmann is their best option. Hell, I'd sell him first and then report them so they get a transfer ban.
That's exactly what I think too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Are Barca willing to pay the clause in full or they are trying to get Madrid to accept instalments?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't disagree with calling them out, I'm simply making the point that doing it while the player is under contract and expected to work within the organization, while not formally providing proof of your belief, purposely creates tensions. From the outside when I see that I totally understand why a player would decide to not go to training, from a legal standpoint it could easily be interpreted as an hostile environment place, the only way to go around that would be for Atletico to press legal charges.

And then there is the small issue that in Atletico we are not talking about a paragon of virtue and that when they talk about integrity they think that we are idiots.

ArjenIsM3

Are Barca willing to pay the clause in full or they are trying to get Madrid to accept instalments?
Last I heard they were trying the latter at which point Atletico pulled out of negotiations and called them out on their shithousery.

I don't disagree with calling them out, I'm simply making the point that doing it while the player is under contract and expected to work within the organization, while not formally providing proof of your belief, purposely creates tensions. From the outside when I see that I totally understand why a player would decide to not go to training, from a legal standpoint it could easily be interpreted as an hostile environment place, the only way to go around that would be for Atletico to press legal charges.

And then there is the small issue that in Atletico we are not talking about a paragon of virtue and that when they talk about integrity they think that we are idiots.
Right, but we don't know that they don't have proof and there is no way that they would make said proof public anyway. They'd save it for court or use it to settle with Barcelona. And sure Atletico are far from a paragon of virtue but Barcelona are no better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Last I heard they were trying the latter at which point Atletico pulled out of negotiations and called them out on their shithousery.
Then, they really aren't paying the clause and Atletico have every right to tell them to feck off.

cyberman

Right, but we don't know that they don't have proof and there is no way that they would make said proof public anyway. They'd save it for court or use it to settle with Barcelona. And sure Atletico are far from a paragon of virtue but Barcelona are no better.
Didn't the Barca board say themselves that they were talking with Griezmann during last season?
It got so bad that Atleti publically demanded that they stop.

ArjenIsM3

Didn't the Barca board say themselves that they were talking with Griezmann during last season?
It got so bad that Atleti publically demanded that they stop.
If true then that would be a weird one because I think I read last week that one of the Barca board said they first talked with Griezmann "yesterday" (so someday last week). That was on a Dutch site though so maybe that was just a bad translation.