Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The only reason he is disliked is because of stuff not related to what he does on the pitch. I'd love him as United for the player he is and would be ready to tolerate the rest of his personna. He's a great player and one that works so hard off the ball for his team.
Man United is below his level anyway, not sure why our fans are acting like we even have a chance of signing him by saying "nooo"

SSSSnake

I’m intrigued to see where he goes. Would he improve out attack? Yes 100%

Kostov

The only reason he is disliked is because of stuff not related to what he does on the pitch. I'd love him as United for the player he is and would be ready to tolerate the rest of his personna. He's a great player and one that works so hard off the ball for his team.
Man United is below his level anyway, not sure why our fans are acting like we even have a chance of signing him by saying "nooo"
This.

I'd take him at United in a heartbeat, he would still annoy me, but at least he is good at playing football. No chance of that happening though.

hubbuh

People are understandably wary of us repeating our same mistakes ad infinitum by going for another big name, big money and big ego player. I’m not sure our current setup would be conducive to a mutually beneficial relationship for either party. He’s clearly talented as feck, it’s more of a right player wrong time sort of scenario (for me).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, the reason they dislike him is because some convinced themselves that he was a fan of United and would come at the first opportunity.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah I'd doubt he'd come to a team outside the Champions League unless he comes for the cheque which is another problem if he does.

kouroux

People are understandably wary of us repeating our same mistakes ad infinitum by going for another big name, big money and big ego player. I’m not sure our current setup would be conducive to a mutually beneficial relationship for either party. He’s clearly talented as feck, it’s more of a right player wrong time sort of scenario (for me).
But then again we'll find it near impossible to get somewhere competitive without a big name like that.

No, the reason they dislike him is because some convinced themselves that he was a fan of United and would come at the first opportunity.
I am at United fan but I wouldn't wanna play for it post SAF either :D.

JPRouve

Scout
He's a tit regardless. No two ways about it.
Maybe but his teammates like him, he has done nothing particularly bad or immoral and he gives everything on the pitch. To me those are the things that matter when it comes to football, I'm not trying to date him or be his best friend.

Classical Mechanic

Maybe but his teammates like him, he has done nothing particularly bad or immoral and he gives everything on the pitch. To me those are the things that matter when it comes to football, I'm not trying to date him or be his best friend.
Indeed. There's no specific crime against being a cringe worthy tit. I'd be happy to sign him.

JPRouve

Scout
Indeed. There's no specific crime against being a cringe worthy tit. I'd be happy to sign him.
The worry for me has always been the same, in interviews he has always seemed to prioritize staying in Spain for cultural reasons(iirc the alternative was Italy) which I can understand. Now if he was to go somewhere else I would wonder why and if it's the current United then to me only money would explain it. I could be totally wrong though.

Classical Mechanic

The worry for me has always been the same, in interviews he has always seemed to prioritize staying in Spain for cultural reasons(iirc the alternative was Italy) which I can understand. Now if he was to go somewhere else I would wonder why and if it's the current United then to me only money would explain it. I could be totally wrong though.
His idol was Beckham wasn't it. I do think that's where his fascination with being a celebrity and United comes from. No doubt the money helps but I think he wanted to follow in the footsteps of Beckham and United would make him more famous.

cyberman

Off the pitch is where our problems lay though. That's why I wouldn't sign him.

diarm

I agree with you on terms of his ability as a player, and if we had a strong team full of leaders I'd bite your arm off to bring him in, personality and all.

But when you have a team literally full of bellends, you can't add the king of the bellends as well. At some point, there has to be a limit to the feckwittery.

Bwuk

Find it funny that I'd argue Griezmann, Pogba and Mbappe were the main men in Frances world cup win, but people would be worried about having Griezmann/Pogba in the squad due to their personalities.

kouroux

I agree with you on terms of his ability as a player, and if we had a strong team full of leaders I'd bite your arm off to bring him in, personality and all.

But when you have a team literally full of bellends, you can't add the king of the bellends as well. At some point, there has to be a limit to the feckwittery.
Being a bellend and being a good footballer are 2 different things. Not that he would ever come at United but the kinda quality, his off the field antics would be easily tolerated.

diarm

Being a bellend and being a good footballer are 2 different things. Not that he would ever come at United but the kinda quality, his off the field antics would be easily tolerated.
Our issues stretch beyond the field though. You can't just put 11 talented players on the field and expect to see a good team if all 11 are gobshites.

We need leaders, workers, thinkers and yes talents. The last thing we need is another self absorbed prima donna coming in to offer his own unique brand of off field distraction even if he's better than any of our players.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Aye he's top 5 player, would improve any team he would go to.

JPRouve

Scout
Our issues stretch beyond the field though. You can't just put 11 talented players on the field and expect to see a good team if all 11 are gobshites.

We need leaders, workers, thinkers and yes talents. The last thing we need is another self absorbed prima donna coming in to offer his own unique brand of off field distraction even if he's better than any of our players.
The issue is that Griezmann has never been a negative player for his clubs, on the field he leads by example by training hard and giving everything for the team. Him being cringe worthy outside of it is subjective. And Griezmann isn't a prima donna, he has never demanded any sort of special treatment or complained about his situation.

diarm

The issue is that Griezmann has never been a negative player for his clubs, on the field he leads by example by training hard and giving everything for the team. Him being cringe worthy outside of it is subjective. And Griezmann isn't a prima donna, he has never demanded any sort of special treatment or complained about his situation.
Atletico have leaders throughout their side. Guys like Godin, Giminez and Joke demand standards on the field and training ground which helps keep idiots in line. Same for France which is why we see better from Pogba there.

We've none of that at United and I suspect Griezmann would just become a bigger part of the problem here rather than a solution.

Also, you can't make the documentary he made last year and not be a prima donna.

kouroux

How do you they stretch beyond the field ? What do we really know about that ? We're simply shite at football in general and that's what it is.
The rest is pure speculation from us fans who know nothing what truly goes on beyond the field.

JPRouve

Scout
Atletico have leaders throughout their side. Guys like Godin, Giminez and Joke demand standards on the field and training ground which helps keep idiots in line. Same for France which is why we see better from Pogba there.

We've none of that at United and I suspect Griezmann would just become a bigger part of the problem here rather than a solution.

Also, you can't make the documentary he made last year and not be a prima donna.
Griezmann is one of the players that demand standards and funnily enough Griezmann is the third member of the group you just mentioned. And the documentaries are about money and maximizing his marketability, it's not about being a prima donna but being very cynical.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Griezmann is part of this group...

diarm

How do you they stretch beyond the field ? What do we really know about that ? We're simply shite at football in general and that's what it is.
The rest is pure speculation from us fans who know nothing what truly goes on beyond the field.
Because totally shit footballers don't go on 12 match unbeaten runs in the Premier League. You can acknowledge that our squad isn't talented enough and at the same time, accept that we lack leadership and self motivation.

I've been watching football for 30 years and you don't need to be on the inside of a club to see the difference between a Roy Keane or a John Terry and an Ashley Young or a Chris Smalling.

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend every quality player we bring in just magically turns to shite the day they walk into United, or you can acknowledge we have issues off the field. Who was the last player United improved upon joining?

diarm

Griezmann is part of this group...
Fair enough. There are a number of posters suggesting this so I'll hold my hand up and admit I've maybe judged him too harshly on his terrible public image.

I just worry about bringing anymore acts to the pantomime circus that is United recently. If he could bring leadership and an unwillingness to compromise on standards then power to him.

Not that he's coming here anyway.

Irrational.

He'll probably make another cringeworthy documentary which we'll have to sit through to find out who he's signing for, with alternate endings filmed for each club linked to him.

Look at the hate Pogba gets for his off-the-field antics, and imagine Griezmann not producing in a game for us. We'd probably start burning shirts :lol::lol:

The less drama/ ego the better. I wouldn't be keen on him coming here.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough. There are a number of posters suggesting this so I'll hold my hand up and admit I've maybe judged him too harshly on his terrible public image.

I just worry about bringing anymore acts to the pantomime circus that is United recently. If he could bring leadership and an unwillingness to compromise on standards then power to him.

Not that he's coming here anyway.
They actually have a strange relationship when it comes to football, they are among the leaders of the team, always hang-out together and they both like a good crying, Griezmann was shedding tears when Godin announced his departure, as was Godin himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Inter, if they manage to sell Icardi.

kouroux

Because totally shit footballers don't go on 12 match unbeaten runs in the Premier League. You can acknowledge that our squad isn't talented enough and at the same time, accept that we lack leadership and self motivation.

I've been watching football for 30 years and you don't need to be on the inside of a club to see the difference between a Roy Keane or a John Terry and an Ashley Young or a Chris Smalling.

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend every quality player we bring in just magically turns to shite the day they walk into United, or you can acknowledge we have issues off the field. Who was the last player United improved upon joining?
Roy Keane and John Terry are much better footballers than the other 2.
No amount of heart, desire and passion will bridge a gap as big as that.
You could be watching football for 1000years it's all the same for me.
The main issue is the base quality of players in the squad, after that intangibles can have their impact

diarm

Roy Keane and John Terry are much better footballers than the other 2.
No amount of heart, desire and passion will bridge a gap as big as that.
You could be watching football for 1000years it's all the same for me.
The main issue is the base quality of players in the squad, after that intangibles can have their impact
Pogba has huge quality. Maybe more than Keane or Terry. But without the "intangibles" he is less than half the player.

I'm not talking about heart, desire and passion necessarily. It's more about professionalism, self-motivation and that hunger for improvement.

kouroux

Pogba has huge quality. Maybe more than Keane or Terry. But without the "intangibles" he is less than half the player.

I'm not talking about heart, desire and passion necessarily. It's more about professionalism, self-motivation and that hunger for improvement.
Pogba is one player out 10 outfield ones. A big improvement on his part won't change much if his teammates are who they are.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
I'd say the Coutinho failure is more that they are playing him out of position more so than mindset
Might be a combination of both, but actually I don't want to really accept that excuse. Piszczek for example was a striker at Hertha and eventually became on of the best right backs in Europe. I have to admit that I not watch any La Liga games so I can't really judge how he is playing there but by his potential, he could do way more.

Robertd0803

Still wouldnt say no to him. But..... its 2 years since he should have joined us plus its a massive spend that we probably havent factored in so could mean missing out on other areas we need to fix.

Couldnt care less what carry on he does off the pitch (within reason obviously) as long as he performs on it. Part of the reason I think why Pogba/Lingard drive people insane with all the social media/brand crap when not showing up every week.

Still though I expect Barca are just waiting for someone daft enough to cover the cost of him before making it official.

It would be fantasy stuff if we signed both De Ligt and Greizmann under their noses though.Pants off for a week kinda thing.