Antonio Conte Sack Watch (Spurs) - GONTE

edcunited1878

I get that he's fed up. I just don't think he should be publicly slinging mud at the players when top 4 is very much up for grabs. I just don't see how his outburst is going to motivate the players to perform. This is old style management that doesn't work anymore. It's fun to watch from the sidelines but I'd rather our own manager deal with any issues behind the scenes.
And that's the point...4th place isn't the objective. It's about the mentality and getting familiar and embrace the pressure the challenge at higher levels. To hell with 4th place.

The bigger picture is establishing a tone that is carried on throughout a season on all fronts of silverware. You can't win silverware if you don't progress as a performing squad and with the right mentality.

Everyone has to have the mentality in the club. Conte has had enough and called everyone out. It's the last straw.

Redfrog

He is spot on. First time I hear a manager speak like an angry fan.
He ask for one thing, like the supporters : give everything on the football pitch.
It was the best interview I have ever seen. I am just happy it wasn’t at our club. :lol:

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He ask for one thing, like the supporters : give everything on the football pitch.
It was the best interview I have ever seen. I am just happy it wasn’t at our club. :lol:
Imagine what he'd have said had he been our manager for that 7-0 loss :lol:

King Eric 7

And that's the point...4th place isn't the objective. It's about the mentality and getting familiar and embrace the pressure the challenge at higher levels. To hell with 4th place.
It's the only realistic and useful objective left for them this season. Anyway, it's all fun and games because he's not our manager. I don't care what happens with other teams but I'd gladly take 4th or 3rd place as our objective for the league this season as it's a platform to push on to achieve better things next season.

Abraxas

The bigger picture is establishing a tone that is carried on throughout a season on all fronts of silverware. You can't win silverware if you don't progress as a performing squad and with the right mentality.

Everyone has to have the mentality in the club. Conte has had enough and called everyone out. It's the last straw.
Whos job is it to instill the right mentality in the playing squad then?

It's not Conte's fecking job to instill a mentality in a boardroom. He's an employee. On the payroll. That's his lane. It's no more his job to dictate that than it is Erik ten Hags to tell the Glazers how they should think and that doesn't seem to be harming our manager. When you do your fecking job and actually manage life seems quite simple and that's what Erik is showing.

These excuses are wishy washy and superficial. Look at the detail.

Has he been given money? Check.

Did he have input? Bentancur, Perisic, Kulusevski. Let's think about that.

Has he got a beautiful stadium to foster a good atmosphere in, and world class training facilities? Check.

Is he paid a feck ton of money to live comfortably so he can do his job to the best of his ability? Check.

It's all just excuses. He walked into a situation that was perfectly understandable. You have to build a club over a period at Tottenham as you're in the world's most competitive league and you're not at the top table yet. So don't throw your toys out you aren't top within a year, and play boring football that can never work because it alienates fans and players.

edcunited1878

Whos job is it to instill the right mentality in the playing squad then?

It's not Conte's fecking job to instill a mentality in a boardroom. He's an employee. On the payroll. That's his lane. It's no more his job to dictate that than it is Erik ten Hags to tell the Glazers how they should think and that doesn't seem to be harming our manager. When you do your fecking job and actually manage life seems quite simple and that's what Erik is showing.

These excuses are wishy washy and superficial. Look at the detail.

Has he been given money? Check.

Did he have input? Bentancur, Perisic, Kulusevski. Let's think about that.

Has he got a beautiful stadium to foster a good atmosphere in, and world class training facilities? Check.

Is he paid a feck ton of money to live comfortably so he can do his job to the best of his ability? Check.

It's all just excuses. He walked into a situation that was perfectly understandable. You have to build a club over a period at Tottenham as you're in the world's most competitive league and you're not at the top table yet. So don't throw your toys out you aren't top within a year, and play boring football that can never work because it alienates fans and players.
Conte knows this and he's say it's the entire club. He's not wrong. The performance and mentality is shit.

Levy is a two faced prick tight wad so far up his own ass. He renegaded against Kane's wishes and once it was killed off, Kane stayed. All sorts of things to go off there about manipulation and submissive tactics then relenting by Kane.

Conte doesn't care if he is sacked tomorrow. There still needs to be more change and Conte isn't only part of the issue. It starts at the top with ownership and Levy. Just like how the tide started to turn once Woodward was fecked off and in steps Arnold and Murtough was given the keys who then had the process of each domino from Ole, caretakers, to even Ralf, to then hiring EtH, to the scouting revamp, etc.

United, for all the shit they've gone under the current owners, have won the lot. But too many times since Fergie and David Gill left, there was nobody with a good enough approach. Woodward was shit. Scouting and vision of play and manager selection, shit. Continuity, shit.

But the overall standards of winning always remained, just strayed so far off course at times yet won some trophies.

Conte is taking into account the entire picture of Spurs. It's the same old song and dance. Now he's part of it and it's his time to be in shock of it. It's insane how correct he is. The fact he went on this tirade isn't reflective of just what happened today, but the last 2 plus decades at Tottenham.

marktan

Regardless of what you want to say about the owners at Spurs, this is the true Conte and was the same even at Inter.

Shit football, winning by a goal, lack of rotation, lack of tactical flexibility, outbursts at the owners.. it worked in Serie A because Inter had the best squad and spent a lot under their Chinese owners (in fact spent too much). But at Spurs or United, with better teams in the league, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

We made the mistake with Mourinho, as did Spurs, but luckily we managed to skip a step and avoid Conte. Say what you want about the Spurs owners, I think their biggest fault is the garbage managerial appointments they've had post Pochettino. Spend the money on the Potter, hell even take a risk on someone like Carrick, stop going for names that play garbage football.

Stevondo8

Wonder if anyone still thinks he’s the guy we should have hired. Poor man’s mourinho.

Irwin99

Which players in particular is he calling out? I'm obviously not a Spurs fan but i am sometimes baffled when I see Eric Dier continually starting for them. People say he has good games but so many times i catch the highlights or when I do occasionally see the games, he's mostly dreadful. Ditto Lloris when he was playing.

Abraxas

Conte knows this and he's say it's the entire club. He's not wrong. The performance and mentality is shit.

Levy is a two faced prick tight wad so far up his own ass. He renegaded against Kane's wishes and once it was killed off, Kane stayed. All sorts of things to go off there about manipulation and submissive tactics then relenting by Kane.

Conte doesn't care if he is sacked tomorrow. There still needs to be more change and Conte isn't only part of the issue. It starts at the top with ownership and Levy. Just like how the tide started to turn once Woodward was fecked off and in steps Arnold and Murtough was given the keys who then had the process of each domino from Ole, caretakers, to even Ralf, to then hiring EtH, to the scouting revamp, etc.

United, for all the shit they've gone under the current owners, have won the lot. But too many times since Fergie and David Gill left, there was nobody with a good enough approach. Woodward was shit. Scouting and vision of play and manager selection, shit. Continuity, shit.

But the overall standards of winning always remained, just strayed so far off course at times yet won some trophies.

Conte is taking into account the entire picture of Spurs. It's the same old song and dance. Now he's part of it and it's his time to be in shock of it. It's insane how correct he is. The fact he went on this tirade isn't reflective of just what happened today, but the last 2 plus decades at Tottenham.
He is wrong.

The reason he's wrong is saying Spurs have been shit for 20 years is not a mitigation when you were specifically hired with full view of the fact Spurs were shit for 20 years. That's the whole point of why they (wrongly) turned to a manager of Contes profile. They mistakenly thought he'd bring winning times back. What did he think it was, all roses at Spurs?

The fact is Conte isn't half the manager Poch was for them and that's all on Conte and absolutely nobody else. Conte has a better stadium to harness positivity around, he has been given more money than Poch had on average, and he's spectacularly failing to drum up any support from the people who matter most - players and fans. Literally the only thing going for him is a league position but every other direction is heading into the toilet.

Under Poch they had a relationship between fans and players and manager, they played good stuff which allows people to stomach inconsistency. They had a diplomat that mostly handled business professionally. They had a guy with flexibility of thought that realised it's not easy to mount a title challenge with Spurs or get to finals. Conte seems to think he should be 1st instantly and winning cups with no process. He should just be first because he's Antonio Conte and if he's not he's not going to manage, he's going to explode.

It's pathetic. I'm not interested in Contes holistic interpretation of Spurs history, he's not a historian or pundit or director. I'm interested in his management skills and they're sorely lacking anywhere where he's required to do more than kick the ball into the open net. The biggest takeaway for me is never hire Antonio Conte unless you are domestic title ready, he might get you that for a few years.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Which players in particular is he calling out? I'm obviously not a Spurs fan but i am sometimes baffled when I see Eric Dier continually starting for them. People say he has good games but so many times i catch the highlights or when I do occasionally see the games, he's mostly dreadful. Ditto Lloris when he was playing.
Everyone bar Kane and Romero is my guess. Agree on Dier, unreal he's survived so many managers. Lindelof is better, and would be a decent signing for them.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Its a bit over the top but everything he says is 100% accurate. During Mou's tenure some of their players went over to Levy whining about how Mourinho did too much defensive work in training in a time where they were leaking goals left and right. Our baldy was right to dismiss their interest. They aren't winners.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Do you really think he’s giving everything to the club?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If that’s not a sackable offence then I don’t know what is :lol: He’s absolutely right in what he’s saying but he’s just threw his bosses under the bus, the people that pay his wages:lol:

mav_9me

:lol: :lol:
holy shit, this guy is a hero. I’ve never seen someone openly hate everything about their job so much. This presser is amazing.

Not even Jose could do a 4 minute rant. And some of you wanted him here? Love it.

He’s so annoyed he goes full blown Italian with his English. :lol:
That was hilarious. For a second I was like wait did he devolve into Italian?

Biggins

Tottenham manager saying that Spurs are a bunch of bottlers. We all knew that but wow :lol:

edcunited1878

He is wrong.

The reason he's wrong is saying Spurs have been shit for 20 years is not a mitigation when you were specifically hired with full view of the fact Spurs were shit for 20 years. That's the whole point of why they (wrongly) turned to a manager of Contes profile. They mistakenly thought he'd bring winning times back. What did he think it was, all roses at Spurs?

The fact is Conte isn't half the manager Poch was for them and that's all on Conte and absolutely nobody else. Conte has a better stadium to harness positivity around, he has been given more money than Poch had on average, and he's spectacularly failing to drum up any support from the people who matter most - players and fans. Literally the only thing going for him is a league position but every other direction is heading into the toilet.

Under Poch they had a relationship between fans and players and manager, they played good stuff which allows people to stomach inconsistency. They had a diplomat that mostly handled business professionally. They had a guy with flexibility of thought that realised it's not easy to mount a title challenge with Spurs or get to finals. Conte seems to think he should be 1st instantly and winning cups with no process. He should just be first because he's Antonio Conte and if he's not he's not going to manage, he's going to explode.

It's pathetic. I'm not interested in Contes holistic interpretation of Spurs history, he's not a historian or pundit or director. I'm interested in his management skills and they're sorely lacking anywhere where he's required to do more than kick the ball into the open net. The biggest takeaway for me is never hire Antonio Conte unless you are domestic title ready, he might get you that for a few years.
After the CL lost, they capitulated. It dragged them down and they couldn't get over it. If everything was so rosey at the time, then it should have been sustainable. But the fact is, they peaked as a club as a 2nd place finisher to Leicester, a CL Final, and a new stadium. Never came close to it again and might not as Kane can only go for so long and his supporting cast isn't firing like it was towards the end of last season or prior seasons.

The club never improved to take on that last hurdle. Something was missing and they didn't address it. Just ran it back thinking it'd just happen again...guess what, it didn't happen again and what's been happening for the last two decades crept up.

I'm not disagreeing on your assessment on Conte about not hiring him, but only in fine circumstances.

Bondi77

Players get paid a fortune and they are not worth the money and he blows up about it...most fans would agree with the rant if the players do not give everything in every game so what is wrong with that.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Should have waited after the international break to fully wreck Spurs final run. Levy has to either pay to sack him or accept being spat on the face for 3 months :lol:

CM

Players get paid a fortune and they are not worth the money and he blows up about it...most fans would agree with the rant if the players do not give everything in every game so what is wrong with that.
I guess that's kind of the problem. Managers are supposed to put fires out in the press, even if it isn't what they think privately. Conte is stoking the fire and has been for some time. I don't think he's actually wrong in a lot of what he's saying but he's completely lost control.

tomaldinho1

The fact the current Spurs manager has just come out and effectively said ‘Lads, it’s Spurs’ is so perfect it’ll never be beaten.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Absolutely mental. They have the 4-6th best squad in the league, and spend the 5-6th most money. They’re currently 4th. Why the feck has he lost his mind, or is he just trying to get sacked?

TsuWave

How long is his contract for? He must be in line for a really good payout if he's actively trying to crash out like this :lol:

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Beautiful speech . The history of spurs summed up, in iconic Italian accent.

moodyred

Why doesn't he resign if he wants out so bad? It's fecked to cause as much destruction as possible because you want out but will only leave if sacked for the severance pay (assuming that even is his play).
Yah. Get fired, get severance pay, good timing to announce that you are available for hire next season. Just who would dare to hire you though.

eire-red

I think this is brilliant, genuinely. He has called out the owner, the club and some of the players for just being happy to do ok and don't want the pressure that comes with really challenging. He is 100% right and I'm delighted to hear him say it. He is probably gone now unfortunately though but I'm glad he is going out swinging because this needs to be said .
I get that what he's saying is spot on and all that. But don't you think it's not a great idea to be saying all of this to the media? Spurs still have plenty to play for in the season.

I don't think any manager should air dirty laundry like this.

Abizzz

Beautiful speech . The history of spurs summed up, in iconic Italian accent.
Lovely :drool:

Although I think long term it might help Spurs, even if it's not with him. They can't run from it anymore now.

Alek M

Da manic one
If the team is not showing spirt and fight on the pitch then it is up to the manager to motivate them.

Maybe he is not good building relationships with the players and inspiring them.

He has lost the dressing room. I can’t believe people are praising this whining. He is trying to avoid any responsibility and casting blame to others.

Thank god we dodge him. Poor man’s Mourinho for sure.