Antonio Conte Sack Watch (Spurs) - GONTE

RuudTom83

There is an argument that managing and playing for Tottenham is the easiest job in the premier league. Its well paid with zero expectation to win.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
What exactly has not got to do with the fact he was sacked outside of the top 4 at Chelsea vs someone whos gone 8 wins in 8 in the UCL and has won the Bundesliga?
I am just countering the proposition that Nagelsmann is bigger than Spurs… which is not true, the same way it was not true ten years ago with the pretty young thing of then.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am just countering the proposition that Nagelsmann is bigger than Spurs… which is not true, the same way it was not true ten years ago with the pretty young thing of then.
I didn't say he was, so not sure what exactly you are countering.
I simply opposed the comparison to AVB

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is an argument that managing and playing for Tottenham is the easiest job in the premier league. Its well paid with zero expectation to win.
It is a very poor argument with zero evidence to back it up but ok if you want to try and make it. I'd suggest the fact that they have sacked 4 managers in 4 years means that there is an expectation to win and if you don't meet it you are gone but what do I know.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
It is a very poor argument with zero evidence to back it up but ok if you want to try and make it. I'd suggest the fact that they have sacked 4 managers in 4 years means that there is an expectation to win and if you don't meet it you are gone but what do I know.
I think that’s fair for managers, but it must be the easiest job for a player. It’s never your fault and the manager / owner always get the blame no matter how bad you are.
how else are Dier Davies and Davinson Sanchez still there.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be interesting to see who goes there next. My bet would be a pochettino reunion. That’s who there fans want. They won’t get nagelsman. Surely he’ll reject them. The guy from sporting might be tempted by them if they went in for him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think that’s fair for managers, but it must be the easiest job for a player. It’s never your fault and the manager / owner always get the blame no matter how bad you are.
how else are Dier Davies and Davinson Sanchez still there.
Daniel Levy.

RuudTom83

Would you say Conte was sacked because he didn't win?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would you say Conte was sacked because he didn't win?
Yes he was sacked in part (mostly) because of us going out of the FA cup and the Champions League in very poor fashion. If he wins those two games he is still employed today.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yes he was sacked in part (mostly) because of us going out of the FA cup and the Champions League in very poor fashion. If he wins those two games he is still employed today.
Come on, he was sacked 100% because of what he said in the presser. There was zero rumours about him getting sacked due to the results on the pitch. Even in the club statement there’s nothing about results not being good enough. Only a mention of achieving top 4 last season. Because that is the only achievement that matters for Levy. And Conte was exactly in that position, 4th, when sacked.

crossy1686

career ending
Be interesting to see who goes there next. My bet would be a pochettino reunion. That’s who there fans want. They won’t get nagelsman. Surely he’ll reject them. The guy from sporting might be tempted by them if they went in for him.
Well he rejected Madrid to stay in Germany and got the Bayern job shortly after so I highly doubt he's going to be waiting by the phone for Tottenham to call.

My money is on a Pochettino return. The best move they could make though is waiting for Potter to be sacked or try for Frank.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Come on, he was sacked 100% because of what he said in the presser. There was zero rumours about him getting sacked due to the results on the pitch. Even in the club statement there’s nothing about results not being good enough. Only a mention of achieving top 4 last season. Because that is the only achievement that matters for Levy. And Conte was exactly in that position, 4th, when sacked.
I think you are unaware of how much the fans freaked out and turned on Conte following getting dumped from the FA cup and the Champions League - everybody was furious and this put a lot of pressure on Conte and Levy - Conte's angry press conference doesn't happen if we win those games and he would still be here. You can choose to believe it's all due to that press conference if you want but I'm telling you now he had lost support of the fans following those results and that had a big influence. It was probably that FA cup result in particular that put the nail in his coffin.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Well he rejected Madrid to stay in Germany and got the Bayern job shortly after so I highly doubt he's going to be waiting by the phone for Tottenham to call.

My money is on a Pochettino return. The best move they could make though is waiting for Potter to be sacked or try for Frank.
Frank would end in disappointment. This has a pochettino return all over. Was the perfect fit for them. Like I’ve said before another option could be to take a gamble on the sporting manager.

top1whoisman

Scout
I think you are unaware of how much the fans freaked out and turned on Conte following getting dumped from the FA cup and the Champions League - everybody was furious and this put a lot of pressure on Conte and Levy - Conte's angry press conference doesn't happen if we win those games and he would still be here. You can choose to believe it's all due to that press conference if you want but I'm telling you now he had lost support of the fans following those results and that had a big influence.
The Spurs fans are used to getting dumped out of cups early doors. I know a lot of the fanbase didn’t like the negative football. But if Conte said after those games that he wanted to sign a 3-year contract, Levy would’ve handed him the contract. Again, I didn’t see any rumours of Conte getting sacked or any speculation of who’s going to replace him etc. So it was nowhere close. Until the presser.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Spurs fans are used to getting dumped out of cups early doors. I know a lot of the fanbase didn’t like the negative football. But if Conte said after those games that he wanted to sign a 3-year contract, Levy would’ve handed him the contract. Again, I didn’t see any rumours of Conte getting sacked or any speculation of who’s going to replace him etc. So it was nowhere close. Until the presser.
Being used to something bad does not mean it is something that is accepted by the fans. Quite the opposite - Spurs fans are probably more desperate for success than most fans of other clubs in the league precisely because they have been starved of success for years. You obviously don't understand this at all and I don't blame you for that however I'm telling you the truth about the situation. If you choose to ignore this and make your own judgement anyway well thats up to you. The fans hated Conte's football and only would have put up with it if it brought success - it didn't and patience had totally run out.

top1whoisman

Scout
Being used to something bad does not mean it is something that is accepted by the fans. Quite the opposite - Spurs fans are probably more desperate for success than most fans of other clubs in the league precisely because they have been starved of success for years. You obviously don't understand this at all and I don't blame you for that however I'm telling you the truth about the situation. If you choose to ignore this and make your own judgement anyway well thats up to you.
I obviously don’t.

top1whoisman

Scout
Conte was only too happy to get sacked but he still got sacked. I think there is a chance Conte retires or at least takes a step back from football for a few years.
I'm worried for his health. Lost three close friends during the season and he's had his own health issues recently.

Charles Ufarley

Always has been a right Conte. Looks like we dodged a bullet by holding onto Ole for too long and missing out on him.

darko

:D

Oh and actually, Conte wasn’t even sacked. Poch, Mourinho & Nuno were all ”relieved of their duties” whereas Conte ”left by mutual agreement”.
That's because out of the four, Conte is the only one that probably wanted out. If he was sacked, I heard that his compensation was a years salary.

Red00012

His contract was up in the summer he wasn’t sacked because of these results. He was sacked for the interview and no other reason

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
His contract was up in the summer he wasn’t sacked because of these results. He was sacked for the interview and no other reason
That is not the whole story at all but ok - I obviously can't change the narrative with you guys but as a Spurs fan and knowing many other fans, it is very clear his support had gone completely.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Weird hill to die on by @balaks . Almost as bad as me with Lampard. :nervous:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Weird hill to die on by @balaks . Almost as bad as me with Lampard. :nervous:
I'm trying to give context as a Spurs fan - people are choosing to ignore it of course but that's life. Not sure people why don't believe me. His sacking has been on the cards for potentially months - it's been talked about openly in spurs forums by the fans.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm trying to give context as a Spurs fan - people are choosing to ignore it of course but that's life. Not sure people why don't believe me. His sacking has been on the cards for potentially months - it's been talked about openly in spurs forums by the fans.
It’s a combination of things obviously. It’s funnier as a neutral to say it was because of the presser, which might have been the straw that broke the camels back, but he’s been a poor appointment all round and no one has improved under him really.

As much as the results haven’t gone his way, his pressers have been getting more and more critical over the months so it was only a matter of time before he said something considered sackable.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It’s a combination of things obviously. It’s funnier as a neutral to say it was because of the presser, which might have been the straw that broke the camels back, but he’s been a poor appointment all round and no one has improved under him really.

As much as the results haven’t gone his way, his pressers have been getting more and more critical over the months so it was only a matter of time before he said something considered sackable.
But… you (as any United fan) are not neutral at all… if only, and rightly so, because the hand-grenade Conte launched onto his own former camp pretty surely makes it a Swiss cheese for the ten league games to come, aka a lessened rival for the CL spot.

The contrasting argument is Stellini + Mason more relaxed style would help them express themselves more fluently and that’s what a true neutral would like to see. :D

crossy1686

career ending
But… you (as any United fan) are not neutral at all… if only, and rightly so, because the hand-grenade Conte launched onto his own former camp pretty surely makes it a Swiss cheese for the ten league games to come, aka a lessened rival for the CL spot.

The contrasting argument is Stellini + Mason more relaxed style would help them express themselves more fluently and that’s what a true neutral would like to see. :D
To be honest, I've not been concerned about Spurs at any point this season. I've always thought that once/if Liverpool get their shit together they'll move up into the top 4 at Tottenham or Newcastle expense. United are comfortably the third best team in the league so I expect us to get top 4.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle however I don’t think he is sacked at this point had that interview not happened.

It was clear he wasn’t signing a new deal but I don’t see why you would choose to sack him with 10 games left when in amongst the top 4 fight. Levy’s hand was forced after what he said publicly, even if there may well have been reservations about him for a while.

The whole thing is a mess really.

Suedesi

As per 2021, Tottenham is the 10th biggest football club in the world.

Nagelsmanns record at Bayern is par for the course for anyone that has managed Bayern in recent history.
By bigger, do you just mean "richer"? Because off the top of my head these clubs tower over Spurs:

Man United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man City
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Barcelona
Inter
Milan
Juve
Roma
PSG
Bayern Munich
Dortmund
Ajax
and that's in Europe alone - Boca, River, Flamengo, Palmeiras might have more supporters / cache as well.