Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I had been watching Valencia for enough time to know that anyone expecting him to be the new Ronaldo will be dissapointed. Valencia is more like a Rooney type of winger with the only difference that he thinks and acts as a winger. He is also a good crosser of the ball.
1. No-one expected him to be the new Ronaldo.

2. What's a Rooney type of winger?

3. Rooney's a good crosser of the ball too, one of our best.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
1. No-one expected him to be the new Ronaldo.

2. What's a Rooney type of winger?

3. Rooney's a good crosser of the ball too, one of our best.
Well some people had been asking if he does have great technique etc, anyway, lets me explain my post.

Valencia is a team player. He has good over all skill and he is strong like a tank which allows him not only to attack from the flank but also to defend when needed. Altough he does have a good technique (not as good as Ronaldo's), he would prefer to pass the ball and get into a dangerous area rather then attempt something spectacular (with a huge risk of losing the ball and put the team into trouble). His game is based more on work rate, get things done and do what is needed which is more or less what Rooney does. The only difference is the mentality. Rooney thinks as a striker (after all he is a striker). Valencia thinks as a winger.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
What ever type of winger he is, I expect him to be a success at United. He's direct, strong and quick, pretty much all valuable assets for any winger. I'm sure you'll gel very well within the team to his honest/hardworking approach to the game.

Looking forward to seeing him in the coming season.

gaffs

I didnt see the game last night, only the goals.

Was Valencia any good?

I liked what i saw of him at Wigan and for Ecuador and have high hopes for him at United.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I didnt see the game last night, only the goals.

Was Valencia any good?

I liked what i saw of him at Wigan and for Ecuador and have high hopes for him at United.
Probably second to Anderson (who was very very good) as our best player.

Quick, direct, strong and likes to get stuck in. Pretty much as good as we could have hoped/expected from him. The pleasant surprise for me was that his delivery was cleverer than I expected. Didn't really whip hopeful, head-high crosses into the box so much as try to pick out runs with passes to feet.

BaldwinLegend

Probably second to Anderson (who was very very good) as our best player.

Quick, direct, strong and likes to get stuck in. Pretty much as good as we could have hoped/expected from him. The pleasant surprise for me was that his delivery was cleverer than I expected. Didn't really whip hopeful, head-high crosses into the box so much as try to pick out runs with passes to feet.
Anderson played way too many misplaced passes in my opinion.

Valencia looked promising though...

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Do you really think Anderson was that good, Pogue? His goal was amazing and you have to give him credit for that but his all-around play was average at best. I agree with Baldwin, many misplaced passes and he gave the ball too many times away.

Valencia was IMHO our best player on the pitch, by a far distance.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What impressed me the most about Valencia is that he didn't seem phased to be Manchester United player. I was impressed with his play but then i've seen plenty of him the last couple years with him being at Wigan so we already know what he can do on the ball, the only question mark was if he could mentally make the transfer, and on yesterday's evidence he already has imo.

You get so many new players shit scared to put a foot wrong at first so all they do is get rid with a nice simple ball as soon as they can, but Antonio wasn't afraid to run with the ball when he got opportunity, quite often turning down the chance to play the simple ball.

I was well pleased :D

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Anderson played way too many misplaced passes in my opinion.
Valencia looked promising though...
Yeah, saw your comments in the other thread.

I'm a bit surprised, to be honest, I thought he was very good but I wasn't at the game. Would you agree that it was his best performance in pre-season and reason enough to be encouraged? (I know that's faint praise but still)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Do you really think Anderson was that good, Pogue? His goal was amazing and you have to give him credit for that but his all-around play was average at best. I agree with Baldwin, many misplaced passes and he gave the ball too many times away.

I dunno, I did think he was good but that's two of you now who've pointed out about his sloppy passing. Mind you, I also thought Carrick was good (apart from the last half hour or so) and a fair few people have slated his performance, so maybe I was just getting giddy about the game in general after Anderson and Valencia scored.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Anderson did give the ball away but he dominated midfield. 20 minutes had passed when i actually said "Bloody hell i forgot Carrick was playing." He may have given the ball away a few times but he was on the ball so much, and most of the time his pass found the target. And i noticed him passing with both feet which was nice too see. Add into that his usual combative tackling and energetic display i thought he did very well.

BaldwinLegend

Yeah, saw your comments in the other thread.

I'm a bit surprised, to be honest, I thought he was very good but I wasn't at the game. Would you agree that it was his best performance in pre-season and reason enough to be encouraged? (I know that's faint praise but still)
I thought it was typical of Anderson's recent performances - good athleticism but a clear lack of a footballing brain... Quite frustrating to watch first hand. The goal was great though - couldn't believe what I'd seen!

BaldwinLegend

About Valencia, the impression I got was very good. I think he'll score a lot more for us than he did for Wigan. I also thought that he's closer to Ronaldo than many of us thought - his first thought whenever he got the ball last night was to run with it and attack his fullback. He lacks Ronaldo's charisma, but he's a great athlete, plays in a very direct way, is a strong runner and a team player - I thought he fit in brilliantly yesterday.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Tank.

But how was his technique? In other words, could you see him playing as a playmaker in a random game? (This would never happen. However, how was his short passing/control/touch ie was he more of a Iniesta or a knocker and runner like Lennon)
He will never be an iniesta type player. He's a lennon type with an ability to tackle.

He has played midfield before but if we played him there I don't think his job would be playmaker.

twitter thread suggester
I dunno, I did think he was good but that's two of you now who've pointed out about his sloppy passing. Mind you, I also thought Carrick was good (apart from the last half hour or so) and a fair few people have slated his performance, so maybe I was just getting giddy about the game in general after Anderson and Valencia scored.
I think the truth lies somewhere in-between your's and Baldwin's assessment. He wasn't great, but he wasn't that terrible either. He did lose position too cheaply at times, but he also made some terrific passes, like he usually does. I certainly thought he was better than Carrick in midfield last night, but the team overall, as pointed out by Fergie, didn't do too well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I thought carrick was worse lol

Valencia was our most productive attacking player. We were't great but the little we produced he played a part in

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Anderson is a strange one. I'm his biggest fan, but he looks almost like a bulky stereotypical British oafs of defenders when he's trying to control a ball coming at higher than knee level. His touch is very clumsy... also, he's short but aside from running very hard forward in a straight line, he's about as nimble as an oil tanker... which is very strange for a shorty.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Very good performance, especially considering it was his first game and he probably only had one or two training sessions with the vast majority of the other players. And I think the slackness in some of the performance in general from the team can be put down to the constant travelling they've had to endure over the last few weeks (of course that was the choice of the club but it would have been a lot easier for them if the tournament had taken place over the weekend).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am impressed. I like him immediately. Fast, strong, effective, direct and likes to get stuck in. He has everything I like about a winger. Can't complain much really.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Yeah I must say, I like him already too. He seemed inventive with his crossing, strong in the tackle and powerful with the shot. He's only young too and at United the sky is the limit isn't it for him?

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
He's a bit quick isn't he?

mr.suave

Aye, the guy is fecking rapid. I was well impressed when he knocked it round his man and, in the blink of an eye, had somehow managed to get about 5 yards clear of him.

I've seen him play for Wigan before, and knew he was fast, but I didn't realise just how pacey he is. He is genuinely lightning quick.

B Cantona

Desperate
I'd say his pretty much a winger and I'd go so far to say he's a very orthodox one.
Mmmm :drool:

Love that kind of player. I'm yet to see him because of coverage issues here. What I've heard he's gunna be a belter though

Hopefully he starts the Shield and I get to see him in person for the first time

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, I share the general optimism about this guy.He is strong and fast which are 2 good attributes to have in modern football and he also seems to be an intelligent player.Can't wait for him to completely be a part of the team. I must say it's nice to have some wingers who defend a little bit on both wings now

BahamaRed

Legend
Aye, the guy is fecking rapid. I was well impressed when he knocked it round his man and, in the blink of an eye, had somehow managed to get about 5 yards clear of him.

I've seen him play for Wigan before, and knew he was fast, but I didn't realise just how pacey he is. He is genuinely lightning quick.
That was neat. And impressive. Good things to come.

redpie

That was neat. And impressive. Good things to come.
It his physicality that impresses most. He runs quick, moves the ball directly and shoots with power. Nice strong basics to have and why we paid plenty for him. Hopefully he'll add to his game the more he plays.

Alex

He reminds me of Nani-Ronaldo love child seems to have a fair bit of each in him. I reckon this guy will turn world class and prove a great buy. There are few things of Ronaldo's abilities that you could replace, but one that United needed to replace they really did with the Valencia, pace.

Skholesy

One of the rare few players who can simply push the ball into space and out accelerate his marker.

His pace is impressive, very impressive. Having seen him, I've come to the conclusion that Nani is somehow, rather slow....

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
One of the rare few players who can simply push the ball into space and out accelerate his marker.

His pace is impressive, very impressive. Having seen him, I've come to the conclusion that Nani is somehow, rather slow....
Nani's fast, he just never ever fecking uses his pace.

But Valencia...:drool:

Sam

I've come to the conclusion that Nani is somehow, rather shit.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nani is better on the right. Valencia is a better player. Not good for Nani.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nani is better on the right. Valencia is a better player. Not good for Nani.
I thought yesterday was his best game in pre-season, playing on the left. He played on the left against Arsenal in the FA Cup, against West Ham in the league last season and in that game the season before when he did that ludicrous bit of skill down the touch-line, plucking a really high ball out of the air and beating his man in quick succession. As far as I can remember they're his three best performances in a United shirt.

When has he ever played well on the right?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I've come to the conclusion that Nani is somehow, rather shit.
To be fair to Nani, i hvae thought he has done quite well in pre season. His use of the ball has been better, he has tracked back well and his crossing has, in general, been good. He hasn't been amazing but I felt he has looked better in preseason than he did for much of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.