Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimo

I never forgot him - the lack of news on his recovery was infuriating. It was bloody awesome to see him slot back in like he has not been out for so long.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's as if the season never ended and Valencia kept on playing.I never expected him to be fit enough to last that long.Very impressed by his stamina and work ethic.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Have a feeling the lad is gonna be an integral part of our season.
I questioned his price tag when we bought him, now I appreciate what he brings to the team. Great patience in the ball, fantastic delivery and as we discovered today he's been working on the left foot. Expect him to get plenty of assits and a handful of goals this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fast becoming my favourite player.

Awesome tonight.
Very much so, just a modest fella as well but with spectacular talent.

I hope in the upcoming season we see him express and extract even more from his potential.. i.e. more goals with his left like today and being more devastating through the centre when he cuts in.

With Valencia you just get the vibe there is so much more to come to him, hes a player many would love to coach.

Happy B'day!

He looked like he was ready to start the season tonight. No signs of rustiness or fatigue in his play. It wasnt just the performance he produced, which was exceptional. It was his attitude to the game that was impressive as well. He worked hard up and down the wing and his contribution tonight speaks for itself.

Keep up the good work!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
First game back and he was easily man of the match. Very impressive and nice to see him back scoring a goal too

Cina

as much as i like Antonio and think hes a great player i still rate Nani more.
I do too, I think he has more potential than Valencia, and most young wingers in the world.

Right now though I think Valencia is a more complete and consistent winger.

Alex

I have to say I think I am in the same mind too, however I really want to see what Valencia can offer this year, I think he will have an even better season than he did last year, and well for most of it and overall was better than Nani. I think both could come near double digits in goals this year if both play well throughout the course of the season.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Nani can produce moments of sheer brilliance and is clearly a more flair orientated player compared to Valencia and thus prone to inconsistency more so, Valencia is a far less complicated player but no less productive probably the opposite infact, less moments of brilliance but probably better quality delivery and final ball to Nani.

They compliment each other quite well really, its nice to have different skill sets in your wide players, but as it stands I do prefer Valencia, the guy maybe a lot les flashy than Nani but what he does he does so well, you can see what hes going to do but yet defenders still cant stop him, love it when hes running straight at the back peddling full back rips him left and right and puts in a pinpoint cross, its great to watch and he does it so consistently, again tonight first game back for a few months and he was outstanding, hes far more consistent than Nani at the moment.

Ferguson

Best winger in the premier league by a street, fabulous player one of my favourite United players.
Malouda - 12 goals, 8 assists in the Premiership last year.

Nani - 4 goals, 6 assists

Valencia - 5 goals, 7 assists

In the previous season Malouda scored 6 goals and had 5 assists.

Back in the Mourinho years Joe Cole's best return was 8 goals and 2 assists in a season.

So I would say that Malouda is the best winger in the Premiership, and I would further add that if he is healthy then Joe Cole is capable of being the second best in the Premiership.

Valencia's numbers are comparable to those of Malouda the season before last. I would like to see Valencia step up his numbers like Malouda did. Only if that happens will he be worthy of being called the best winger in the Premiership.

Shimo

Oh ... and Giggs with 5 goals and 9 assists was the best winger at our club, not Valencia.
Stats don't tell you everything. For a winger who do you take given a choice, Valencia or Malouda?

Right now I would not give up either Nani or Valencia for a straight swap on Malouda.

Valencia is pure power, pace, effort. Nani is pace, trickery and effort.

This guy has been out since what April and his first game comes back like he has been playing all this time? He is just class. He missed a few sitters last year and with confidence, I think you'll see a far better return.

Several strikers had very good goal returns last year but, I wouldn't say they are better than Berbatov.

Tony V - best winger in the league followed closesly by Nani (till he shows a sustained level of consistency - then he might be).

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Did extremely well today! He should have had a goal but when you only have one foot what do you expect.

That instant aside he was a key player today. Deserves the praise he's getting at the moment.
Does he have two now?

I hope so, he'll be fantastic if that's the case!

Shimo

He doesn't really - I think he has the ability once in a while to use his left - he did a few times last year but, overall almost 1 footed. Even in todays game, when he was around the D - he played a pass with the outside of his right foot, one that he could have played with his left if he had even a little natural ability.

Still whatever little he can develop, with his ability, he should keep defenders on their toes.

Cold_Boy

I have started to like Valencia a lot.

Good player.

But still Nani has too much more potential imo.

Really looking forward to both this season,especially Nani.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His progress over the last 12 months has been fantastic. He was a much better player after half the season. I like his style a lot, pure pace, power, but also very good vision and awareness of his teammates. He has become less predictable and he seems to have developed a great understanding with Rooney.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!

Back in the Mourinho years Joe Cole's best return was 8 goals and 2 assists in a season.

So I would say that Malouda is the best winger in the Premiership, and I would further add that if he is healthy then Joe Cole is capable of being the second best in the Premiership.

Valencia's numbers are comparable to those of Malouda the season before last. I would like to see Valencia step up his numbers like Malouda did. Only if that happens will he be worthy of being called the best winger in the Premiership.
as said, stats don' tell you everything.

Firstly, there is a lot more to Valencia's game - defensively he is the most solid winger in the league imo.

Secondly, comparing him to Malouda (in terms of assists and goals) is not altogether fair. Malouda played as a forward for a lot of last season; pushed high up the pitch close to Drogba in a similar position to Anelka, so his positioning on the pitch and tactics employed made it easier for him to be involved than a traditional winger, which is the role Valencia plays. It is the same way as saying Valencia does not play the same role Ronaldo did for us, or Messi does for Barcelona. Tactically it is more restrained and the stats will show you that.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut

Best winger in the premiership: Sir Ryan Giggs

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi

According to 'stats' last season Darren Bent is better than every striker in the league bar Rooney and Drogba........

According to stats Andres Iniesta is one of the least effective players in La liga.....

Numbers dont always tell the full story, Malouda had a great season for Chelsea last year (largely playing as either a forward in a front 3 or an attacking midfielder not a winger) but i wouldnt swap Valencia for him, as out an out wingers go Valencias as good as there is in the premier league, doubt youll find many better in europe tbh.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Nani can produce moments of sheer brilliance and is clearly a more flair orientated player compared to Valencia and thus prone to inconsistency more so, Valencia is a far less complicated player but no less productive probably the opposite infact, less moments of brilliance but probably better quality delivery and final ball to Nani.

They compliment each other quite well really, its nice to have different skill sets in your wide players, but as it stands I do prefer Valencia, the guy maybe a lot les flashy than Nani but what he does he does so well, you can see what hes going to do but yet defenders still cant stop him, love it when hes running straight at the back peddling full back rips him left and right and puts in a pinpoint cross, its great to watch and he does it so consistently, again tonight first game back for a few months and he was outstanding, hes far more consistent than Nani at the moment.
completely agree. nani is the kind of player that would get match ratings from 4 to as high as 9. Valencia would consistently get 7s. I like having both of them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Malouda was easily the best winger in the league last season.

Nani will be better than him IMO.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
According to 'stats' last season Darren Bent is better than every striker in the league bar Rooney and Drogba........

According to stats Andres Iniesta is one of the least effective players in La liga.....

Numbers dont always tell the full story, Malouda had a great season for Chelsea last year (largely playing as either a forward in a front 3 or an attacking midfielder not a winger) but i wouldnt swap Valencia for him, as out an out wingers go Valencias as good as there is in the premier league, doubt youll find many better in europe tbh.
Absolutely. The amount of crosses Valencia gets into the box is incredible. And the accuracy of his crossing is second to none.

I think a lot of people don't 'rate' him as highly as others because he wasn't bought from an elite club and if a player comes from Wigan, he's obviously not good enough. Of course, these people are twats

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Valencia's old school. A proper chalk on his boots winger.

No better winger in the Prem last season IMO.

Giggs was sensational in the early part of the season but faded a bit, otherwise he'd get my vote. Nani did the opposite.

Malouda was excellent but was played too centrally to be called a winger. I don't know what the term is for the wide players in a front three but they're not wingers IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.