Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
According to stats alone - if a winger gets in 20 accurate crosses every match and the only striker in the box is 5ft 8 - and never wins a header, he is not a good winger.

However - if he gets in 3 crosses every game and Peter Crouch is in the box - converting 1 of those crosses - he is a great winger.

We have Berbatov and Rooney in the box - none of them are great headers of the ball - even if Rooney improved a great deal.

Valencia had Drogba in the box - one of the best in the P.L

That should be taken into consideration when counting assists!

VoetbalWizard

valencia is a top winger, however lacks the technical creativity IMO that separates the very good wingers from the 'world class' ones that are wanted all over the continent.

nani on the other hand has the attributes to be that kind of latter winger, but valencia is much more consistent.

Only if Nani were left footed, and more comfortable on the left than the right...that would make things a lot easier for team selection.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
valencia is a top winger, however lacks the technical creativity IMO that separates the very good wingers from the 'world class' ones that are wanted all over the continent.

nani on the other hand has the attributes to be that kind of latter winger, but valencia is much more consistent.

Only if Nani were left footed, and more comfortable on the left than the right...that would make things a lot easier for team selection.
How about naming a few, cause I'm struggling to think who you're referring to?

Robben?

and...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Valencia's old school. A proper chalk on his boots winger.

No better winger in the Prem last season IMO.

Giggs was sensational in the early part of the season but faded a bit, otherwise he'd get my vote. Nani did the opposite.

Malouda was excellent but was played too centrally to be called a winger. I don't know what the term is for the wide players in a front three but they're not wingers IMO.
Yeah but what's the point though. Who is he up against in that scenario? None of Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea play with 'proper wingers' so there hardly any basis for comparison. Him being the 'best winger' means very little in that case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah but what's the point though. Who is he up against in that scenario? None of Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea play with 'proper wingers' so there hardly any basis for comparison. Him being the 'best winger' means very little in that case.
Lots of PL teams play with wingers. Chelsea have one of the narrower formations in the league. They rely heavily on full-backs for width.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lots of PL teams play with wingers. Chelsea have one of the narrower formations in the league. They rely heavily on full-backs for width.
I'd keep Malouda in it and call him the best. He was playing wide, getting in crosses and getting shots off on goal. It's just a different formation but a similar role.

So in your definition who is he up against?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Valencia is a great player. He's twice the player Nani is with half the nonsense. The reaction Nani got last night sums up what is wrong with the modern game. Style over substance is now a virtue. Where's me cloth cap?

VoetbalWizard

How about naming a few, cause I'm struggling to think who you're referring to?

Robben?

and...
ronaldo at united, a younger giggs, luis figo.....I didn't say qualify my statement by saying 'currently'. The ones i just named were/would've been wanted by any club across europe. Valencia is in the kanchelskis level....extremely good, but lacks that little extra magic.

unless you care to disagree and say he will be a winger of that former class?

I do think valencia will still be the better player for united because i'm not fully sold on nani, but nani's talent ceiling IMO is high enough for him to reach that most elite level which valencia IMO will not reach.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The 'but I think Nani is better' comments are strange to me, we've got them both lads, it's not like we're looking at signing one or the other or something! As has been said by others, Valencia is a superbly consistent old fashioned no nonsense winger and Nani is a bit less consistent but with the added flair that can spark a bit of magic. We play them together and they compliment each other brilliantly, let's not worry about who might be 0.5 higher in a ratings thread, let's be happy that we've got such a fine pair of wingers in our squad.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The 'but I think Nani is better' comments are strange to me, we've got them both lads, it's not like we're looking at signing one or the other or something! As has been said by others, Valencia is a superbly consistent old fashioned no nonsense winger and Nani is a bit less consistent but with the added flair that can spark a bit of magic. We play them together and they compliment each other brilliantly, let's not worry about who might be 0.5 higher in a ratings thread, let's be happy that we've got such a fine pair of wingers in our squad.
Are you mad? No scapegoat? I think you'll be demoted if you keep this up.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That works, I guess. Although 'outside forwards' seems a more obvious choice!
Refers back to the early 1900's when 2-3-5 was the main formation. It had two wingers who pushed right out to the touchline like we associate with typical wingers, it'd have the one central striker and then two inside forwards in between the two. They were called inside forwards because they played inside the wingers, and the position they play now is in similar areas.

twitter thread suggester
Are you mad? No scapegoat? I think you'll be demoted if you keep this up.
What Nick is talking about, isn't that exactly what you've done here:

Valencia is a great player. He's twice the player Nani is with half the nonsense. The reaction Nani got last night sums up what is wrong with the modern game. Style over substance is now a virtue. Where's me cloth cap?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Some people wants to start some sort of rivalry between Nani and Valencia no matter how bizarre it is. They both offer different things that we need and were lucky that we can play them both at the same time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some people wants to start some sort of rivalry between Nani and Valencia no matter how bizarre it is. They both offer different things that we need and were lucky that we can play them both at the same time.
It's the new "Berbatov vs Tevez" except that this time both are likely to start most matches

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Refers back to the early 1900's when 2-3-5 was the main formation. It had two wingers who pushed right out to the touchline like we associate with typical wingers, it'd have the one central striker and then two inside forwards in between the two. They were called inside forwards because they played inside the wingers, and the position they play now is in similar areas.
How do you know these things... ;)

twitter thread suggester
Or the Hargreaves v Carrick v Fletcher :p

I just hope they both (Nani and Valencia) turn it on this year 20 - 30 assists & 10-20 goals from both (not each) would be a great return.
20-30 assists each? No player player has made over 20 assists in one season in the league the last 8 years.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury

I just hope they both (Nani and Valencia) turn it on this year 20 - 30 assists & 10-20 goals from both (not each) would be a great return.
20-30 assists each? No player player has made over 20 assists in one season in the league the last 8 years.
Fantasy>reality
Did either of you bother read what he posted? He said from both ie combined that's why he put not each in brackets after.
I think that's an achievable target too.

Brophs

The One and Only
Don't ever apologise for being stupid, Top.

You can't help it. It's the people that watched Rainman and got unrealistic expectations of your lot that I blame.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't ever apologise for being stupid, Top.

You can't help it. It's the people that watched Rainman and got unrealistic expectations of your lot that I blame.
Rainman isn't real... fantasy != reality

Magnus

Another mad swede
Nani is a better footballer than Valencia. He can use his left foot for more than standing on it you know. But valencia is an honest player and that makes him better in my eyes. Nani however will become a United-great once he cuts the crap out of his play and knows when to use his pace and when to play the simple pass

Donut

Strange to keep talking about his left foot just a day after he scored a goal with it.

Alex

So they should account for around 100 goals or even the low estimate of 60 :lol:

Alex

More of an issue reading right there, I think it was because the word both was needlessly bolded.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Try re-reading his post, pay particular attention to the bit in brackets. If that doest help try reading the explanation that followed by CLK.

Edit: too slow!

Alex

Oh and 60 goals is still absolutely fecking ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.