Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Now maths is letting you down, if you took the highest of both his goals total and assists total that's still only 50.
:lol: I am quite high at the moment and confusing myself, 50 would be tough, but possibly doable, I wouldnt bank on it though

Ekeke

According to stats alone - if a winger gets in 20 accurate crosses every match and the only striker in the box is 5ft 8 - and never wins a header, he is not a good winger.

However - if he gets in 3 crosses every game and Peter Crouch is in the box - converting 1 of those crosses - he is a great winger.

We have Berbatov and Rooney in the box - none of them are great headers of the ball - even if Rooney improved a great deal.

Valencia had Drogba in the box - one of the best in the P.L

That should be taken into consideration when counting assists!
There was no striker at a top club more lethal with his head than Rooney last season. The headers he did score from Valencia's crossing last season tended to be very difficult ones because the crosses were good enough to make a chance, but not perfect in making that chance as easy as possible.

Drogba doesnt score more than 4 or 5 a season with his head.

Ekeke

10 assists each in the league would be great going. As well as both getting around 10 league goals. I cant see a reason to think beyond that in terns of asking for more, or talking about other competitions as we could go out early in the cup competitions. And these are already high amounts when you look at what wingers have produced in the league in previous seasons. Aside from Malouda who managed 12 goals, 9 assists last season in the league, the wingers in the premiership tend to do well to come close to scoring and creating 20 goals. If both of them managed it next season it would be an incredible achievement.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Nani got 9 league assists in his blistering run of form torward the end of last season didnt he?, if he can start the campaign in anything like the sort of form he showed in the latter part of last season then theres no reason why he couldnt reach 10 assists by Christmas.

If he can be as productive throughout an entire season as he was over that 4 month spell january onwards of last season then he could get plenty.

Ekeke

Nani got 9 league assists in his blistering run of form torward the end of last season didnt he?, if he can start the campaign in anything like the sort of form he showed in the latter part of last season then theres no reason why he couldnt reach 10 assists by Christmas.

If he can be as productive throughout an entire season as he was over that 4 month spell january onwards of last season then he could get plenty.
If he can get 10 assists each half a season he's going to be the best winger in the world and one of the best players in the world. But thats shit hot consistancy we're talking about here.

I dont have the numbers in front of me, but can anyone tell me if Giggs or Beckham ever managed 20 assists in a league season? Because I doubt it. As we know wingers tend to blow hot and cold with their productivity and consistancy. And while there are a few tales of players managing around 10 assists in the first, or second half of the season (Adam Johnson got the same 9 assists for City in the second half of last season too) the other half of the season tends to be a fair amount less consistant and less productive due to burn out, or not finding that form yet if it was the first half of the season.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
If he can get 10 assists each half a season he's going to be the best winger in the world and one of the best players in the world. But thats shit hot consistancy we're talking about here.

I dont have the numbers in front of me, but can anyone tell me if Giggs or Beckham ever managed 20 assists in a league season? Because I doubt it. As we know wingers tend to blow hot and cold with their productivity and consistancy. And while there are a few tales of players managing around 10 assists in the first, or second half of the season (Adam Johnson got the same 9 assists for City in the second half of last season too) the other half of the season tends to be a fair amount less consistant and less productive due to burn out, or not finding that form yet if it was the first half of the season.
Of course it would take a sensational level of consistency and that’s still probably Nanis main drawback, it also relies on fitness of course but if Nani is capable of getting up towards 10 league assists in what was basically 40% of the season with the first 6 months being a total write off in fairness then even just a more consistent less fantastic burst of form over a longer period should bring better results.

I think to get the eventual numbers Nani did in that 4 month burst after the new year was incredible really, he was playing consistently to a fantastic standard, if he could just put that together over a longer period then those numbers are going to be mighty impressive.

Valencia i have no doubt will bag over 10 assists in the league this season, his consistency levels are fantastic and his delivery has continued to improve since hes been here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
His off the ball movement today was what allowed him to nail Cashley today, but still has some work to do when his facing his full back, especially if that full back can match him for pace.

Very encouraging, he will be a key player in the title charge.. a must for anyones fantasy football team.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Very, very good today. He keeps the game brilliantly simple, but he's hard to deal with. He makes great runs, rarely loses possession and puts the ball in perfect areas. GOLD.

twitter thread suggester
Great performance.

Ridiculous how much room Cashley gave him, and when they also didn't want to mark Scholesy then they were pretty just asking for it.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
An assist and a goal to sum up a great performance. He made what some say is the best LB in the world look very average. Bargain!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Is he on drugs ? He didn't have the same preparation as others but this is only his 2nd match and he played till the end.
Great engine
Actually both him and Owen were fit enough to play in half the matches in the pre season tour but SAF and the staff probably decided to keep em back and take it easy as they were both being eased back from injuries.. SAF also was quoting saying Valencia desperately needs a few games..

I can't wait to see a more settled Valencia this season I think he will be a very important player for us..

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Actually both him and Owen were fit enough to play in half the matches in the pre season tour but SAF and the staff probably decided to keep em back and take it easy as they were both being eased back from injuries.. SAF also was quoting saying Valencia desperately needs a few games..

I can't wait to see a more settled Valencia this season I think he will be a very important player for us..
That's what he did with Valencia indeed ^^

wr8_utd

:'(
50 games, 7 goals and tons of assists later I think it's fair to say he's proven a lot of people wrong on this forum. Spectacularly so.

His scoring rate is much better than it used to be at Wigan as well. What a great winger to have.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
The best thing about Valencia is that the opponents know what he is going to do but can't stop him anyway. And his crossing has improved a lot since he joined United.

Shimo

The setup for Scholes early in the game was class of a winger looking and picking his team mates out - not just throwing it into the box. Mr. Consistency.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
His top point must be his crossing, I've counted throughout the game and only around 5 crosses didn't meet his man, the rest was entirely up to the shooter... Even corners, Valencia managed to pick out a United player I think 2 out of 3 times, I was definitely impressed and I hope there is more to come from him.

Karel_Poborsky

His top point must be his crossing, I've counted throughout the game and only around 5 crosses didn't meet his man, the rest was entirely up to the shooter... Even corners, Valencia managed to pick out a United player I think 2 out of 3 times, I was definitely impressed and I hope there is more to come from him.
Agreed, that is a very good part of his game. He does seem to have an end product more often then a lot of other similar players.. and that's a big reason why he's been a success so far at Old Trafford.

If you compare him to the likes of Walcott and Lennon for England, that's where the problem lay's... Both are capable of brilliant things, but unlike Valencia neither could hit a barn door with a cross, never mind a strikers head.

Ekeke

He tends to get the better of any fullback he's up against lets be honest. And the times he doesnt, its generally because he himself had a not so great game rather than a fullback working him out or outclassing him or something. Everyone has off days. Hopefully he continues to find the net and his run for the goal was fantastic. And hopefully he can continue to play the correct final ball which is usually the only part of the game where he might have done better.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Has to be said. Not surprised who said it, though.
Even less surprising that someone would feel a bit hurt by the idea.

Still think it's a ludicrous idea to call him the best crosser in the team, Ekeke?

Status
Not open for further replies.