Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Even less surprising that someone would feel a bit hurt by the idea.

Still think it's a ludicrous idea to call him the best crosser in the team, Ekeke?
Absolutely. If he was, on top of the rest of his game, he'd perhaps be our best player. But he isnt.

And today despite having a brilliant game he could have done better with his crossing in several good positions. Having said that he also picked out some good crosses as well. It was a mixed bunch.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Has to be said, he got the better of Cole more times in 90 minutes than our previous right winger has managed in his career to date.
I still have the image of Cole signaling that he had Ronaldo in his back pocket in my mind, after he nullified him completely when we played Chelsea a few seasons back. Ronaldo never got the better of Cole.

Yep, how many out and out wingers are there right now in the top leagues? Not many, how many are as good as or better than Valencia? I'd say non. I mean in the sense, how many consistently provide width, beat their man and then more often than not, put in an inch perfect cross. Not to mention just how hardworking he is, defensively as well. I wouldn't classify the likes of Ronaldo, Ribery or Robben as out and out wingers.

Oh and unlike his predecessor, Valencia turned down a move to Real to join us (Whelan confirmed so as much!)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Absolutely. If he was, on top of the rest of his game, he'd perhaps be our best player. But he isnt.

And today despite having a brilliant game he could have done better with his crossing in several good positions. Having said that he also picked out some good crosses as well. It was a mixed bunch.
That would describe the end product from most wingers, to be fair. Impossible to pick someone out with every cross, so long as he delivers several really dangerous crosses each game I'd say he's doing a great job.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I remember when he signed for us his crossing was considered a weakness. Its certainly not the case now.

I like the way he doesnt try to be too clever with his crossing. He'll usually just try to float it into a danger area.

He's an unbelieavably effective player for us at the minute, both in attack and in defence protecting his fullback. He's probably the first name on the teamsheet at the minute, because he's that fit he could almost play in every match.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I still have the image of Cole signaling that he had Ronaldo in his back pocket in my mind, after he nullified him completely when we played Chelsea a few seasons back. Ronaldo never got the better of Cole.

Yep, how many out and out wingers are there right now in the top leagues? Not many, how many are as good as or better than Valencia? I'd say non. I mean in the sense, how many consistently provide width, beat their man and then more often than not, put in an inch perfect cross. Not to mention just how hardworking he is, defensively as well. I wouldn't classify the likes of Ronaldo, Ribery or Robben as out and out wingers.

Oh and unlike his predecessor, Valencia turned down a move to Real to join us (Whelan confirmed so as much!)
Yeah, he had the Indian sign over Ronaldo, that's for sure.

Not a slight on Ronaldo, who regularly got the better out of better full-backs than Ashley Cole but it's great to see a United player finally run rings round the obnoxious little twat.

Commadus

How many fullbacks are there who can match Valencia for pace and strength? I say you could count them on one hand. The only way to stop him is to get tight and force him inside.

Devil_forever

Yeah, he had the Indian sign over Ronaldo, that's for sure.

Not a slight on Ronaldo, who regularly got the better out of better full-backs than Ashley Cole but it's great to see a United player finally run rings round the obnoxious little twat.
If he can repeat the speed of movement inside the box for the goal he scored today in our future fixtures, then he's going to be a real potent threat for us this season. It's a great attribute to have.

Ekeke

That would describe the end product from most wingers, to be fair. Impossible to pick someone out with every cross, so long as he delivers several really dangerous crosses each game I'd say he's doing a great job.
See I didnt say he hadnt done a great job. I said he had a very good game. But when you're as good as Valencia is at getting space to cross, beating his man, or getting one on one with a defender and bursting past them when you have several men at the back post waiting for a cross... If you're that good a crosser you should be making the most of that situation 2/3 times. His crossing makes chances thats for sure, you just dont often see him put it on a plate for someone or play a near perfect cross like some other players out there with great ability to shape a cross. The player in the middle generally has a decent job on to turn the ball into the net which needn't always be the case, not if you're the best crosser in your team.

izzydiggler

It's interesting watching Valencia-wingers tend to be prone to trying to do to much-always trying to take it past one too many players. Valencia is almostthe opposite-generally playing into open spaces. Whenever he comes against somebody in front of him, he will keep possession and give it to somebody else, which is great to see.

Sometimes it seems like he's playing within himself but he's been about as good as possible.

I just hope we see more of a goal threat (which he is looking like) from him this year and if any weakness, IMO his crossing can be very erratic-for every great one, he hits the first manquite frequently.

Devil_forever

See I didnt say he hadnt done a great job. I said he had a very good game. But when you're as good as Valencia is at getting space to cross, beating his man, or getting one on one with a defender and bursting past them when you have several men at the back post waiting for a cross... If you're that good a crosser you should be making the most of that situation 2/3 times. His crossing makes chances thats for sure, you just dont often see him put it on a plate for someone or play a near perfect cross like some other players out there with great ability to shape a cross. The player in the middle generally has a decent job on to turn the ball into the net which needn't always be the case, not if you're the best crosser in your team.
Please do name these "other people", who put in better crosses on a more consistent basis than Valencia? Oh and remember his assists for Rooney in the San Siro last season? If that wasn't "putting it on a plate", then I don't know what is.

Devil_forever

It's interesting watching Valencia-wingers tend to be prone to trying to do to much-always trying to take it past one too many players. Valencia is almostthe opposite-generally playing into open spaces. Whenever he comes against somebody in front of him, he will keep possession and give it to somebody else, which is great to see.

Sometimes it seems like he's playing within himself but he's been about as good as possible.

I just hope we see more of a goal threat (which he is looking like) from him this year and if any weakness, IMO his crossing can be very erratic-for every great one, he hits the first manquite frequently.
We must be watching a different Valencia then, from what I've seen, his cross success rivals any other winger's in world football right now. Like I said to Ekeke, please name a few wingers who are consistently better at crosses?

Ekeke

We must be watching a different Valencia then, from what I've seen, his cross success rivals any other winger's in world football right now. Like I said to Ekeke, please name a few wingers who are consistently better at crosses?

United players better at crossing :

Fletcher
Giggs

I'll accept that Neville, Nani and Rafael are inconsistant with their delivery at this point in time. But to some extent so is Valencia. Only these 3 will also come up with almost perfect crosses some of the time too, which I dont think Valencia does as often given how many attempts he has, generally as many as the rest of the team combined.

I know Fletcher isnt a winger, but why would that matter?

izzydiggler

There are thousands of wingers in the world....the chance that you have seen any of the consistently is neglible.

Not going to get into a debate over naming foreign 'flavour of the months'....but I stand by my point that Valencia often hits the first man-I'm not saying he's shit or that 100% of crosses have to be great....it's certainly a part of the game that has fine margins of success but it's definitely something he could improve.

Legendz

To be honest it doesn't really matter if his crossing is inconsistent - he gets in to crossing positions more than any other winger in the League (IMO, apart from maybe Lennon) - so inevitably he's going to put in 2 or 3 very good crosses a game.

Amir

To be fair, there are very few people with Beckham's ability to cross. Most crosses would end up finding a defender's head. But if you get a few to the right head every match, you're doing well.

Shimo

Fletch and Nev are good crossers but, there is a big difference between a crosser that gets a setup versus a player beating a man on a dribble and on the run making and getting the ball in. The accuracy of the latter and quality would obviously be inferior to someone wide open with plenty of time and almost standing still..

As a winger Valencia is a fantastic crosser for the way he looks to where he is crossing - there is thought behind a lot of his balls. I think when he first started he'd just whip them in but, now looks a lot more. The example earlier was the ball to Scholes - many of the 1000 wingers after beating their man would just throw the ball and hope but, Tony V. thinks about his crosses a lot more.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
To be fair, there are very few people with Beckham's ability to cross. Most crosses would end up finding a defender's head. But if you get a few to the right head every match, you're doing well.
Also Beckham had players with better heading ability to aim at; not one of our strikers is what you'd think of as a natural header of the ball (perhaps Hernandez but that's only based on the few times I've seen him play).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fletch and Nev are good crossers but, there is a big difference between a crosser that gets a setup versus a player beating a man on a dribble and on the run making and getting the ball in. The accuracy of the latter and quality would obviously be inferior to someone wide open with plenty of time and almost standing still..

As a winger Valencia is a fantastic crosser for the way he looks to where he is crossing - there is thought behind a lot of his balls. I think when he first started he'd just whip them in but, now looks a lot more. The example earlier was the ball to Scholes - many of the 1000 wingers after beating their man would just throw the ball and hope but, Tony V. thinks about his crosses a lot more.
Agree with this. Valencia is easily our best crosser when you factor in his ability to beat his defender and deliver the ball into the box.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Perfect post.There aren't many of those.The most impressive with Valencia is his consistency.

Ekeke

Also Beckham had players with better heading ability to aim at; not one of our strikers is what you'd think of as a natural header of the ball (perhaps Hernandez but that's only based on the few times I've seen him play).
Except you know, Rooney who was the most lethal header of a ball at a top club last season and turned several of Valencia's crosses into very good ones by scoring many difficult headers. And Berbatov who tends to look more of a threat in the air than with his shooting on the deck - even though he also tends to miss quite a few headed efforts.

Devil may care

He's looked really sharp in the last 2 games and more confident in front of goal. I thought today he delivered the best balls under pressure, yet twice he had acres of room and hit the first man.

His run into the box for the opening goal is something we'll hopefully see more of as it will be vital in 4-3-3 when we need him to provide a goal threat and not just hug the touchline.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Except you know, Rooney who was the most lethal header of a ball at a top club last season and turned several of Valencia's crosses into very good ones by scoring many difficult headers. And Berbatov who tends to look more of a threat in the air than with his shooting on the deck - even though he also tends to miss quite a few headed efforts.
:houllier:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Valencia is all about picking out players, most of the crosses who didn't reach their target yesterday were blocked by the full back if I remember correctly.

Lynott

Whatever peoples thoughts are about Valencia, he creates a serious amount of chances for the team.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Rooney's has worked very hard and his heading has improved leaps and bounds but you missed my point, it's not like Valencia is aiming at Cole or Ruud (natural headers of the ball). Your point on Berbatov is bewildering to me, I'm sure if you asked him honestly what his weaknesses are he'd say that his aerial ability and heading are pretty average.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What I also like about him is his calmness off the pitch and his professionalism. He came to United and he knew where he has to improve - and he did that very well. Plus, you never hear or see anything negative from him, no bullshit stories, no unnecessary interviews, just him playing football!

He's going to be a brilliant player and, looking a year back, he proved so many on here wrong. Fergie got all right, once more!

Adebesi

I think Valencia is so cool I have taken to scowling all the time. When my 2 year old son does something really brilliant , I just glare at him like he is a complete disappointment to me. Instead of telling him he is a good boy or that I love him, I stare right through him and then walk off. If he wants a hug specifically, I do so with an air of reluctance.

All this because I want to be a bit more like our Antonio. Hopefully this will motivate my boy in the same way Valencia has helped Rooney.

Donut

He's very productive, but to be considered world class he has to smile more.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not surprised a small percentage of his crosses go array.

Law of averages

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He's very productive, but to be considered world class he has to smile more.
Did anyone notice that he celebrated Cheech's goal more enthusiastically than his own? He have it the full double fist pump when our mini-Mex chinned the ball into the net but was cool as a cucumber when he scored himself.

I want to be more like Valencia when I grow up.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Valencia 10 goals 17 assists
Nani 13 goals 15 assists

My prediction.
Could you be a bit more precise? ;)

:lol::houllier: !

He had about 3 or 4 of them today, alone. He's an exceptional crosser - good to the extent that you almost expect him to fizz it across the 6 yard box straight to Rooney et al for an open net.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Ekeke he is one of the best crossers at united.. He is right up there with Nani, Neville and Fletch.. Infact from the ones I have named he is the best..

Status
Not open for further replies.