Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhiteblack

my musings upon Valencia thus far...

1. he's fast, direct, can cross and shoot
2. he seems like a team player with little ego
3. he seems quite serious, and i reckon he's a hard cnut

i'm very excited to have him in our team.

i'm really happy with our signings this Summer, although i REALLY think SAF should've considered strengthening the midfield.

Fergies Formula

my musings upon Valencia thus far...

1. he's fast, direct, can cross and shoot
2. he seems like a team player with little ego
3. he seems quite serious, and i reckon he's a hard cnut

i'm very excited to have him in our team.

i'm really happy with our signings this Summer, although i REALLY think SAF should've considered strengthening the midfield.
My sentiments exactly.

I would be delighted with cesc fabregas, or alternatively wesley sneijder but i dont expect either, even though we could easily afford them!

Fergies Formula

I wonder if ferguson sees valencia strictly as a right winger or a player that can play on the left or anywhere across the front??? I expect him and Nani to alternate on the wings.

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Valencia can potentially do a superb job especially there is genuine width up front and movement on the opposite flank, namely Nani, giving him plenty space to utilize his lightning quick pace, dribbling, and pinpoint crossing.

Fergies Formula

He certainly had a good game tonight.... His pace and power are a huge assest as well as his directness. Was he better in the first or second half? I missed the first!! There is also a lot of room for improvement which is impressive

izzydiggler

At the time of the signing I didn't think he was good enough and I'm not exactly encouraged by what I've seen.

Lightning quick but atrocious first touch and his 'crosses' were more akin to the old Wimbledon hoofs in the box. At the same time, playing your first meaningful game at OT he was almost definitely nervous as feck-probably not when you pull the tricks etc out (unless you're Ronaldo :smirk:). He's going to need a bit of time and as everybody is a bit rusty in the first few weeks of the season. Has all the attributes to be a good player and is a great physical 'specimin'. I hope he's given time and he's not weighed down by fan's expectations though.

At the same time, playing your first meaningful game at OT he was almost definitely nervous as feck
That was the impression I got as well.

He looked like he wanted to be neat and tidy and give a good, solid performance. Which he did. I'm certain there will be a lot more to come from him as well. At times in the first half, he seemed to drift infield a bit too much, would have preferred him to hug the touchline

Smash-E

I felt he was solid too. Seemed to beat his man quite easily. Don't forget, ont he same side was a young and unexperienced Fabio, so that doesn't help much on your debut.

datura

He was a little frustrating today, he seemed a bit too tentative on more than a few occasions to run his full back who was extremely impetuous in the tackle and on a booking in the 2nd half. I didn't like the way he was playing infield either, it left Fabio a bit exposed at times and we played a little too narrow. It suited Park against Chelsea, but Valencia in preseason looked far more effective hugging the touchline.

izzydiggler

Have you even read the thread? Don't think that anybody is 'panicking'.

Also brings another discussion of when is it ok to comment on a player? If you do it in pre-season, it's "only pre-season".
Do it early in the season and it's "early days".
If it's a young player, "he's young and will get better".
A new player, "he needs the whole season" or "he didn't get a full pre-season".

For what it's worth (I'm not even referring to Valencia but in the general sense) I think it's foolish to write people off after a few games, even a few years but as far as I'm concerned you can give an opinion on how a player plays whether it's their first or last game....and contrary to a lot of people's views on here,it's not "doom and gloom" etc if the opinion is anything less than "the greatest debut/performance I've ever seen".

Alex

People are kinda panicking, it was his first competitive match. A lot people are picky on here though I guess, I mean there would be threads about Ronaldo each match complaining about something he had done, so I guess it means his replacement receive the same treatment.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I thought he was really good today to be honest on his debut. A lot of strength as well as pace shown. And I thought a few of his crosses were great. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Its just what ive said before. He is heavily right footed and ive mainly seen him playing on the right wing. But he is here now and we will expect him to try and improve every part of his game. We do hope for some versatility in our wingers as they will switch flanks at will during a match to confuse the opposition.

Give Valencia enough time to feel comfortable in our side. He had an unspectacular performance today but will get better as time goes on.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Still got a long way to go. Was begging for him at times to get the ball down the right and just whip some crosses in like he did when we played against Valencia.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He wasn't that effective. He did decent but it gets serious now. It might help him next game we're away from home. He did play with a fair bit of caution.

Alex

End product was poor throughout the game and some of his passing was a bit poor, so it's fair to say he didn't have a great game.

Got in good positions though and worked hard.
So basically he isn't Ronaldo, I'm shocked. I'm not saying he had a great game, but it was far from poor.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
decent performance- quite a few times look a bit tentative and scared to take it on himself whichwas a litlle frustrating

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He looked a bit lost in our attacking movement but I like what I see so far, once he settles in completely he will be ace.He has got everything needed

Mainoldo

So basically he isn't Ronaldo, I'm shocked. I'm not saying he had a great game, but it was far from poor.
O stop over exaggerating!! It's not a win-lose thread... he was seeing if anyone else thought he was weak on his left!! To be far he did play kind of shit but the team seemed to be in 2nd gear!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I was very encouraged by his performance today.. he started really well.. He has pace to burn, he is good defensively and makes some sensible passes.. However as the game went along he seemed to hold onto the ball for too long.. However I was still very pleased with his performance..

Some say he was not as productive as he was in pre-season.. They forget that it was pre-season and it was not as competitive as it was today.. He may have done better in pre-season (end product wise) but I think he did an overall better job today..

IMO he is already our best winger if indeed he wasn't already when we signed him.. I do not know if any of you remember but I was against us signing him because I was of the belief that we needed someone better.. I also did leave a statement there saying that I only felt so because we would require someone marginally better than any of our wingers except Cristiano.. I still do not think he is marginally better than our other wingers as Nani seems to impress me every time I have seen him this season (either in pre-season or in the last 2 matches) and well with Park we always know what we are going to get (even though we all know what his limitations are)

I am very excited with both Valencia & Nani.. I think they will both be very vital for us this season!

CptMarvel

'IMO he is already our best winger if indeed he wasn't already when we signed him..'
'I still do not think he is marginally better than our other wingers...'

Sorry Chirag, but that's a bit of a contradiction, which one do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.