Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash-E

'IMO he is already our best winger if indeed he wasn't already when we signed him..'
'I still do not think he is marginally better than our other wingers...'

Sorry Chirag, but that's a bit of a contradiction, which one do you mean?
I'm guessing he means that Valencia is better than Nani, Park and Tosic, but not miles ahead of them.

HsJ

Yeah, I see what you mean Re: lack of left foot. When he comes inside, you can see he is quite one sided. He will learn though. If he wants to be a great player he has to.

Alex

Yeah, I see what you mean Re: lack of left foot. When he comes inside, you can see he is quite one sided. He will learn though. If he wants to be a great player he has to.
Yeah I think he will learn more, I think it is fine if he cuts back to take a shot as he has a stinger on his right foot, but as a winger he should do just as well playing the quick ball in with his left foot when it warrants it.

Bape

I see it as a big problem actually, him being so one footed. He was far too predictable today, on a few occasions he could had cut in and use his left peg on goal. He was decent today, I like his directness but he needs to grow a left foot cause his game is too one dimensional for now.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
^^ This, I was expecting lot more from him today based on the pre-season. Let's just hope it was nerves, and that he beds in well after today. I really want him to do well, hopefully he will put in a better performance on Wednesday.

Alex

I see it as a big problem actually, him being so one footed. He was far too predictable today, on a few occasions he could had cut in and use his left peg on goal. He was decent today, I like his directness but he needs to grow a left foot cause his game is too one dimensional for now.
I find this hilarious, not because it isn't true, but because people were saying the exact thing about Ronaldo last year, except the problem was that he was always cutting in and shooting the ball.

Robben is as predictable as they come, and on form is still just about unstoppable. We saw a mediocre performance from Valencia, I reckon we will see far better from this point on, and shock horror some worse.

Bape

I find this hilarious, not because it isn't true, but because people were saying the exact thing about Ronaldo last year, except the problem was that he was always cutting in and shooting the ball.

Robben is as predictable as they come, and on form is still just about unstoppable. We saw a mediocre performance from Valencia, I reckon we will see far better from this point on, and shock horror some worse.
Ronaldo is as two footed as they come, equally comfortable with both feet and both sides of the pitch. Valencia is far from that.

Robben may be predictable but his dribbling ability and control is phenomenal on song, similar to a certain Ryan Giggs back in his prime. Valencia on the other hand is a more kick and run type winger, relying on pace to get down the flank and supply other attackers. The difference is Robben's predictability is because he is simply too selfish of a player and always tries to 'do it all alone', where as Valencia's predictability is because of his one dimensional play more than anything else. Which goes back to why I think Valencia should be encouraged to use his left foot more often so he can properly develop his game.

Alex

Obviously he should use his left foot more and I am sure he is competent on it, time will tell though. It's one game in United won it, and things will go from here.

My point about Ronaldo and Robben is that no matter how good a player is people always find faults

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Ryan someone or other. I seem to remember someone having a good career on the wing who wasn't great on his wrong foot.

Bape

Yes, and Maradona also had a decent career being one footed and all. But surely you see the difference between Giggs in his prime being one footed and Valencia being one footed?

Bape

Because Valencia can't dribble? Surely you can see how retarded that sounds.
No, because Giggs was far more talented than Valencia is. What is there to argue anyway, Valencia developing his left foot will only add to his game and improve him as a player, and it's not like Giggs is too shabby with his weaker foot either, he scored just last season from cutting in from the left, dummying two defenders before using his 'weaker' foot and scoring a superb goal.

Alex

Fabio has shown more promise than Valencia out wide.

He may need some time to settle down at a new club but from his performaces for Wigan, is he good enough to be a regular starter at United ?
I was thinking of writing something witty and mildly homophobic, but all ignore the wiitty and go full on with the homophobic. That comment pushes in shit.

Valencia scored and had two assists in the preseason, I know just presaeason but it is kinda hard to judge a player when they just signed

HE ISNT RONALDO!!!!! NO ONE IS! I HAVE SAID THIS ALL ALONG AND NO A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO GAVE HIM SHIT, WOULD GIVE 100 MILLION FOR HIM.

But as much as a Ronaldo fan as I was, get over it Valencia will come good, or it not him someone else, why because they always do.

Alex

It's Wumming at it's best

It would be like me calling you a woman because I had a bigger cock than you, just because one thing is true, that doesnt mean a tangential argument is.

Alex

Ronaldo is one of the most two footed players in football but Forlan is amazing who scored 1 goal more with his left foot than his right last year, now that's madness
Madness, no

THIS IS MADRID

Look at Forlans improvement after leaving United, what could Ronaldo do, 100 goals in a year the skys the limit heheh

INF-AMOS

Seriously though, since when did Giggsy have a sweet right foot.

This is the lad that destroyed us last year at OT with Wigan, who we were all raving over after the Valencia game.

Iv'e seen enough to know that he will be a very good player for us.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I fail to see what people expected from him, he's an athletic ortodox winger, with a fair turn of pace, he's also pretty agricultural in his asthetic. I'm fairly sure we will knock some of the rough edges off him, but only time will tell.
I was just hoping he'd play well.

I've only seen him play for us twice and he hasn't been too good.

He had a couple of nice turns to beat his man, he put in a couple of good crosses(but overdid the crossing a bit, IMO) and he had one pass where he played in Fletcher which showed a great deal of vision because Fletcher was making the run from a fair distance away and the weight on the pass was perfect.

But he was too conservative. Did well defensively though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was just hoping he'd play well.

I've only seen him play for us twice and he hasn't been too good.

He had a couple of nice turns to beat his man, he put in a couple of good crosses(but overdid the crossing a bit, IMO) and he had one pass where he played in Fletcher which showed a great deal of vision because Fletcher was making the run from a fair distance away and the weight on the pass was perfect.

But he was too conservative. Did well defensively though.
Why d'you think that might be?

Brwned

Dunno. We were playing against a newly promoted team while in a fair amount of control of the game, maybe he lacks a bit of confidence.

Yes I know it's natural for a debut, no idea why you're pointing that out, I was just talking about his performance yesterday and that's it. If I was making a longer term judgment and entirely ignoring that fact then you'd have reason to point it out. Right now you really don't.

Member 39557

It wasn't the best performance but that could be said of many players yesterday in my opinion. He sometimes held on to the ball or took an extra touch when I would have liked him to whip the ball in but the majority of our play around the oppositions box seemed to be "overplayed" in my mind so he wasn't the only culprit.

With our patched up defence, I wouldn't be surprised if he was worried about losing possession. Give the poor guy some time, I'm sure a 3/4 full JJB is nothing like a full Old Trafford when it comes to pressure and expectation.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno. We were playing against a newly promoted team while in a fair amount of control of the game, maybe he lacks a bit of confidence.

Yes I know it's natural for a debut, no idea why you're pointing that out, I was just talking about his performance yesterday and that's it. If I was making a longer term judgment and entirely ignoring that fact then you'd have reason to point it out. Right now you really don't.
I was suggesting there might be a reason for his cautious approach because your last post gave no indication that you'd considered one.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
No, because Giggs was far more talented than Valencia is. What is there to argue anyway, Valencia developing his left foot will only add to his game and improve him as a player, and it's not like Giggs is too shabby with his weaker foot either, he scored just last season from cutting in from the left, dummying two defenders before using his 'weaker' foot and scoring a superb goal.
Didn't Valencia do exactly that in preseason on his debut? Face facts, you're a spastic.

Brwned

I didn't think Valencia would be as cautious, even on his debut.

Not many wingers are, they normally try to make an early impression by being fairly direct and attacking.

Nani and Ronaldo both did that on their debuts.

Brwned

I realise that.

But then very few wingers are.

Clearly Valencia's a bit different, he'll take a bit of getting used to for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree that our first choice midfield four looks a little low on quality. Lacks maybe two top quality players ATM. Obviously if Nani and Anderson can raise their game a few notches that changes everything but as it stands i think thats a hard working good midfield, not a great one, far from.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Nani Anderson Carrick Valencia

Looks quality to me.. We do not need any superstars in there.. I am well pleased with what IMO is our 1st choice midfield 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.