Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergies Formula

Ive seen a lot been discussed on our wingers and new signings, nani, obertan, tosic and owen, however its strangley quite on the man we have spent the most money on this summer, Valencia.

Is this because there isnt many people on here who have seen him enough times to comment and dont really know what to expect or is it because they have seen him quite a bit and havent been impressed enough to rave about what he can do to our team?

Personally I have seen him a couple of times against us and probably about 5 times in other games for wigan, my impression is that he is direct, very pacy and knows how to beat his man at pace and from a stand still, ive seen he puts in a shift for the team and knows his position well.

I dont really know much about his passing abilities, his football brain and team work, I'd like to see and hear what he will offer us in terms of assists and overall play. Has he got a lot of room for improvement being surrounded by better players an all?!

I want to hear from the people who have seen him, what do you think will be his objectives this season, how can he help the team, will he improve and have we got a potential star on our hands or another very good team player but not a match winner?

I'd like to think that being in a better team he will get more time on the ball and be able to showcase his talents more, he will get more chances and hopefully will get a few more goals than he did at wigan. I would like to think he can entertain us and give us some wing play to get excited about, I would also like to believe he is a decent footballer who can improve us as a unit and help to create a team that wont miss ronaldo, instead thriving on the creativity, hard-work and togetherness this side has, no longer focused on an individual but playing as a team all on the same wave.

Whats your thoughts guys, I would love to hear because all though he isn't exactly unknown, I, probably like quite a few dont feel like im fully clued up on the lad.......

Ekeke

He's alright. Will put a shift in helping his fullback (meaning Rafael should get lots of games) and add some speed to the side when he plays. Not too much to add to that.

dan_alex

...my impression is that he is direct, very pacy and knows how to beat his man at pace and from a stand still, ive seen he puts in a shift for the team and knows his position well...

This is exactly how I would and have been describing him. I think he will be a good player for us. I think it's all quiet on him because it seems disappointing selling Ronaldo and bringing Valencia in.

Maroon Lucifer

You lot reckon that with us bringing in Owen, and giving him the no. 7 shirt, will have taken a lot of pressure off of Valencia? I think it has, and I also think all the pressure and focus has been deliberately switched to Owen because he has proven in the past the he can handle such pressure.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You lot reckon that with us bringing in Owen, and giving him the no. 7 shirt, will have taken a lot of pressure off of Valencia? I think it has, and I also think all the pressure and focus has been deliberately switched to Owen because he has proven in the past the he can handle such pressure.
Yes, possibly another man management master stroke from SAF.

Fergies Formula

This is exactly how I would and have been describing him. I think he will be a good player for us. I think it's all quiet on him because it seems disappointing selling Ronaldo and bringing Valencia in.
I think its do with with how a lot of people havent seen him play enough to consider what he can do for us.... after his first friendly we can get some observations, which if he plays well in, the cafe will go into over load.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
I have a feeling this lad will exlpode into his own this season and become a revelation. He is very quick, can beat a man for fun and should his positioning improve, I see no reason why he can't end up surprising a few people.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Considering Valencia was one of, if not the best and most consistent winger in the league last season, and Nani was on the fringes, he would definitely be ahead of him on the teamsheet at the moment.

Fergies Formula

Considering Valencia was one of, if not the best and most consistent winger in the league last season, and Nani was on the fringes, he would definitely be ahead of him on the teamsheet at the moment.
so he was better than young, lennon, walcott etc in what way?? What do his stats look like goal and assists for last season? I wonder if there is a stat for goal scoring opportunities created because that would be interesting

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nani's got the tricksy dicksy wanky stuff advantage over Valencia.

Valencia's got the clear better footballer advantage over Nani.

Fergies Formula

valencia seems to have great pace and acceleration which nani doesnt really, and if he does he isnt using it properly

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
valencia seems to have great pace and acceleration which nani doesnt really, and if he does he isnt using it properly
I dunno about that.

Valencia just seems to be less green than Nani.

He also seems to have a better grasp of team ethic than his Portugese club mate.

I think he'll do very well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nani is actually fairly quick but he doesn't use his pace enough, IMO.

It's frustrating the way he always holds the ball up and tries to beat his man with a bit of Michael Flatley-esque footwork but hardly ever uses his pace and strength (and he is strong) to beat them with the old-fashioned (and very effective) technique of kicking the ball past his marker and running faster than them.

Fergies Formula

Nani is actually fairly quick but he doesn't use his pace enough, IMO. It's frustrating the way he always holds the ball up and tries to beat his man with a bit of Michael Flatley-esque footwork but hardly ever uses his pace and strength (and he is strong) to beat them with the old-fashioned (and very effective) technique of kicking the ball past his marker and running faster than them.
yeh i know what you mean, he needs to add that variety to his dribbling, valencia seems to have his dribbling nailed, knowing when to slow down and also burst past opponents to stretch sides.

Fergies Formula

Sorry, I mean that Valencia is a more developed player. Green = raw, unpolished. As Pogue said after, I was just suggesting that Nani doesn't use his pace as effectively as Valencia.
ahh i see and i agree, valencia seems very powerful when running with the ball though, looks like he will cause some chaos on the right wing, i wonder how he is coming inside though???

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
so he was better than young, lennon, walcott etc in what way?? What do his stats look like goal and assists for last season? I wonder if there is a stat for goal scoring opportunities created because that would be interesting
I think there is somewhere because I remember reading that Downing was the 4th highest "chance creater" in the league last year.

As for Valencia I think he's a good safe option, plenty of pace for counter attacks, decent crosser, strong, good defender, not a bad dribbler. I'm not sure that he has enough to ever become truly world class but I think he might well be a smart buy because we have loads of unproven potential in the squad and, especially on the wings, not too many safe options.

twitter thread suggester
What? Nani is lightening - Fergie singled out his pace when he got here.

It is however true that he doesn't use it well enough when he's on the ball, as he prefers to beat his man from a standing position - but his pace is obvious off the ball.

As most know, I have been defending Nani for a while on here, and I'm still convinced he has the potential to become a great winger if given the chance. THis season is make or break it for him - he's got all the right attributes, he just needs to use them much better than he currently is.

Cina

What? Nani is lightening - Fergie singled out his pace when he got here.

It is however true that he doesn't use it well enough when he's on the ball, as he prefers to beat his man from a standing position - but his pace is obvious off the ball.

As most know, I have been defending Nani for a while on here, and I'm still convinced he has the potential to become a great winger if given the chance. THis season is make or break it for him - he's got all the right attributes, he just needs to use them much better than he currently is.
I'd agree with all of that Top.

Right now Valencia is the better winger though, no doubt, but Nani obviously has more "potential" ability in him if he can harness it

Wan

Lucky goal aside, he's looking great so far, although his positional play need working on, but that's understandable since this is his first time with us after missing out on the Asia tour. Always beat his man, and he can cross!

Great Hat

Lucky goal aside, he's looking great so far, although his positional play need working on, but that's understandable since this is his first time with us after missing out on the Asia tour. Always beat his man, and he can cross!
Agreed on all parts. I think he seems to fit in to the style we're playing as well. He managed to find a man with some lovely first time passes, and even in his first game, appears to be able to link into moves seamlessly (although his positioning wasn't always perfect), which is really encouraging. Yeah, the goal was lucky, but it was lovely dribbling to set it up, and if you hit one with a reasonable amount of pace, sometimes you'll get a break like that, and luckily he did. Pretty impressed with his debut, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.