Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annahnomoss

I'd imagine he likes Valencia, who performed quite well against his Bayern side back in 2010.

I think everybody likes that Valencia, one of the most likable football players in history for me. Hard worker, the silent type and ruthlessly efficient going forward. Maybe the most efficient player I have ever witnessed considered even at his peak he was limited to pace and acceleration as his only really top tier attributes.

That is one of my favorite games as well, Nani and Valencia firing at all cylinders made us a nightmare for any team to face. Incredible dribbling and tricks from Nani and then the efficient robotlike efficiency from Valencia on the other wing.

I don't think LVG likes Valencia because he played good 3 years ago though, the same goes for all our players - it will be perform today or see the bench. Whether your name is Nani, Kagawa, Valencia or Rooney which is why he often surprises people by including some name people had no idea would play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just seen a replay of his tackle and it looks a definite red card to me.
I think he was unfortunate his foot rolled over the ball, yes both feet were off the ground but it wasn't a normal looking rash challenge. Then again, I didn't think Sterling deserved to be sent off either in his challenge on Valencia in the friendly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think everybody likes that Valencia, one of the most likable football players in history for me. Hard worker, the silent type and ruthlessly efficient going forward. Maybe the most efficient player I have ever witnessed considered even at his peak he was limited to pace and acceleration as his only really top tier attributes.

That is one of my favorite games as well, Nani and Valencia firing at all cylinders made us a nightmare for any team to face. Incredible dribbling and tricks from Nani and then the efficient robotlike efficiency from Valencia on the other wing.

I don't think LVG likes Valencia because he played good 3 years ago though, the same goes for all our players - it will be perform today or see the bench. Whether your name is Nani, Kagawa, Valencia or Rooney which is why he often surprises people by including some name people had no idea would play.
I seriously doubt LvG doesn't rate him though as he would've surely sold him rather than awarded him a new contract. I believe the same could be true of Nani (despite his new contract coming under Moyes).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He certainly has the energy required. The only issue is I'm not sure there is such a place in having such a limites player in midfield. I guess it's worth a try but I find it hard to envisage on a medium to long term basis.
He's strong, he's capable of being disciplined.. he has played centre-mid for Ecuador, and all he'll have to do is give the balls to the likes of Mata/Herrera and sit.

Surely he should be capable of that, because as it stands he has no other role in my opinion - he's pointless out wide, even Ecuador don't use him there.

saivet

I think he was unfortunate his foot rolled over the ball, yes both feet were off the ground but it wasn't a normal looking rash challenge. Then again, I didn't think Sterling deserved to be sent off either in his challenge on Valencia in the friendly.
On the Sterling one, initially I thought it was harsh but after I saw the replay, I thought that too was a definite red.

saivet

He's strong, he's capable of being disciplined.. he has played centre-mid for Ecuador, and all he'll have to do is give the balls to the likes of Mata/Herrera and sit.

Surely he should be capable of that, because as it stands he has no other role in my opinion - he's pointless out wide, even Ecuador don't use him there.
The fact that is seems to based mainly off his physical/hard working attributes worries me in itself. Could work, I guess pre season would be the perfect time to experiment.

RedStarUnited

Don't know who mentioned the defensive mid role, but the more I think about it.. the more plausible it becomes. It is a role where his one-footedness wouldn't be an issue, it involves no crossing, no creativity. Just win the ball and play it simple, it is worth a try.
Its perfect for him.

He is a an attacking player with very little attacking threat. I always think, can you see a player like him playing for Madrid/Barca/Bayern? The answer is probably no. Those 3 teams are where we want or need to be.

Annahnomoss

I seriously doubt LvG doesn't rate him though as he would've surely sold him rather than awarded him a new contract. I believe the same could be true of Nani (despite his new contract coming under Moyes).
I believe LVG is the type to try and arrive at his new clubs with clean papers to be as unbiased as possible. I am sure most players will get to stay if they want to, he isn't going to start shipping people out until he has had a chance to work with them and get to know them.

I don't think the new contract means anything, apart from that he doesn't straight up consider Valencia to have no value for him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I believe LVG is the type to try and arrive at his new clubs with clean papers to be as unbiased as possible. I am sure most players will get to stay if they want to, he isn't going to start shipping people out until he has had a chance to work with them and get to know them.

I don't think the new contract means anything, apart from that he doesn't straight up consider Valencia to have no value for him.
That would make sense if he were here for the long term, but given his short two year deal, I doubt he would keep any player around who he didn't rate. Its not as if he's arriving at OT from another planet. He's well aware of the squad he's inheriting and has probably already scoped out what pieces (players) of the puzzle he needs to run the system he wants.

Deleted member 78215

Valencia intelligent - there's your oxymoron!

I don't understand why people feel the need to belittle those who aren't impressed by Valencia. In recent years, he has been absolutely appalling. Last season I'd have him up there (or down there ...) with the worst wingers in the PL.

He is severely limited.

Annahnomoss

That would make sense if he were here for the long term, but given his short two year deal, I doubt he would keep any player around who he didn't rate. Its not as if he's arriving at OT from another planet. He's well aware of the squad he's inheriting and has probably already scoped out what pieces (players) of the puzzle he needs to run the system he wants.
When has LVG came to a club and started selling players or rejecting contracts before he even arrived? Usually his clean out starts after he finishes his first year, or in rare cases in the January window. He went to Barcelona who were struggling badly and only Dugarry left in the entire year - then as soon as he finished his first year he sold 6 players.

He has never been a transfer muppet kind of manager who tries to buy his way out of troubles, he happily takes over the squad he is given and tries to do his best with it.

Litch

There's not a club in the world that doesn't lambaste their wingers. It comes with the position. Even CR for many a season here was criticized for having no end product. Valencia IMO has always played the same game, which relies on pace and power. His crossing always been about hitting it hard and low. Always been an ultimate pro, and a very hardworking player. He's not one to dive or cheat, and a person you get the feeling is really respected in the club. Not sure why any football club wouldn't want this kind of player at it.

Footballs about opinions and aren't many players that dont divide them. On his day, he is an absolute beast. We didn't make him player of the season and give him the 7 shirt for nothing? Yep it remains questionable whether he can find that form again but I think you could say the same of 90% of the current squad. Lets hope LVG can rejuvenate players like Tony and Nani cause they have proven in the past that they can be world beaters.....

Brightonian

You've obviously not actually watched him properly. He's very obviously an intelligent player. It's especially apparent for his country, where he's the player everyone else lays the ball off to when they don't know what to do with it, the player who more than any other pulls the strings and the one who often takes on the responsibility of being in the right place to stop an opposition attack before it picks up dangerous momentum.

Or did you think 'intelligent' meant 'flair dribbler with two quick feet'?

Deleted member 78215

You've obviously not actually watched him properly. He's very obviously an intelligent player. It's especially apparent for his country, where he's the player everyone else lays the ball off to when they don't know what to do with it, the player who more than any other pulls the strings and the one who often takes on the responsibility of being in the right place to stop an opposition attack before it picks up dangerous momentum.

Or did you think 'intelligent' meant 'flair dribbler with two quick feet'?
No. Intelligent is Scholes, RVP, Robben, Sanchez, Modric, Xavi, Busquets, Pirlo, Pogba, to name just a few.

Valencia is most definitely not 'intelligent'. That's not to say he's stupid, but intelligent? It's definitely not the foremost feature of his game.

And he's been pretty poor this WC, so using his international exploits as an example of his intelligence isn't going to convince me.

Brightonian

No. Intelligent is Scholes, RVP, Robben, Sanchez, Modric, Xavi, Busquets, Pirlo, Pogba, to name just a few.

Valencia is most definitely not 'intelligent'. That's not to say he's stupid, but intelligent? It's definitely not the foremost feature of his game.

And he's been pretty poor this WC, so using his international exploits as an example of his intelligence isn't going to convince me.
It's not a feature that he has much use for at United, where his job is to be a direct, line-hugging out-ball winger. But watch him for Ecuador - whether they're playing well or badly - and his intelligence is obvious. He runs their attacking game with long, searching passes and he's always the man turning up just when he's needed to make a tackle or block off a route of attack. His reading of the game is incredibly underrated because, as I said, he doesn't really need it much in his job at United.

Obviously he's no Scholes or Pirlo. But saying that he's got less game intelligence than the two footballing masterminds of their generation is pretty meaningless.

Deleted member 78215

It's not a feature that he has much use for at United, where his job is to be a direct, line-hugging out-ball winger. But watch him for Ecuador - whether they're playing well or badly - and his intelligence is obvious. He runs their attacking game with long, searching passes and he's always the man turning up just when he's needed to make a tackle or block off a route of attack. His reading of the game is incredibly underrated because, as I said, he doesn't really need it much in his job at United.

Obviously he's no Scholes or Pirlo. But saying that he's got less game intelligence than the two footballing masterminds of their generation is pretty meaningless.
Valencia appearing intelligent for Ecuador I imagine is somewhat illusory.

He's probably their best player, although he has been upstaged by Enner V. in this competition, and as such he will probably look much better when surrounded by players below his level.

It's the same for other weaker nations; Bryan Ruiz has looked great for Costa Rica, but is he really? No. Jermaine Jones and Michael Bradley have looked impressive for the USA. Even Bentaleb looks like a good player when playing for Algeria.

For United, during the last two seasons, he has been fairly dire, with a decent performance being very much the exception.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
For what it's worth, I wouldn't say Valencia's a very intelligent footballer either nor would I say it's clear for everyone to see because it really isn't.

Brightonian

What have his recent performances for United got to do with anything. I'm not saying he's a great player, or that he's in good form, or anything like that. I'm saying that he's got a good footballing brain on him, and that you can really see it when he plays for his country. More so than the players you mention who have been impressing (more than Tony V) at this world cup so far.

Again, try and distinguish between 'intelligent' and 'good'. I'm making a specific point about a specific quality he has as a player.

Deleted member 78215

What have his recent performances for United got to do with anything. I'm not saying he's a great player, or that he's in good form, or anything like that. I'm saying that he's got a good footballing brain on him, and that you can really see it when he plays for his country. More so than the players you mention who have been impressing (more than Tony V) at this world cup so far.

Again, try and distinguish between 'intelligent' and 'good'. I'm making a specific point about a specific quality he has as a player.
Well how a player plays for his club - where he spends the majority of his time - is normally a pretty good indicator of a player's attributes. I'm not buying that he doesn't need to use his intelligence for United, that's nonsense.

Admittedly I've only ever seen him play for Ecuador three times, that is, during this WC, and he's looked bang average on each occasion. I don't think he's got a good brain, just one better than his poor teammates, and that lack of intelligence is shown up at higher levels, i.e. for United and tonight against a top team, France.

ottosec

Valencia intelligent footballer? :lol:

Must take some serious brains to do 180 turns and pass the ball back. Or maybe it is the trademark smashed cross in the first man that shows his wits.

Robbie Boy

Well he signed a new deal so Caf logic says we must pretend that he hasn't been woeful for the past two seasons.

I like Valencia and feel he was brilliant for us in his first two seasons. But he has honestly become such a limited player and struggles to get the absolute basics right. I have no qualms about keeping him as-per se, but I'm slightly baffled by his new contract. He really needs to regain some of his early form for us though; the dross he has served up over the past two seasons isn't up to any decent standard.

::sonny::

I don't understand why people feel the need to belittle those who aren't impressed by Valencia. In recent years, he has been absolutely appalling. Last season I'd have him up there (or down there ...) with the worst wingers in the PL.

He is severely limited.
Fans likes pseudo hard worker like him or Quinton Fortune...

Chris Brunt is better than him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Many times we have seen him losing concentration while playing right back, playing him in midfield seems like a bad idea to me. He is a winger, that (run&cross) is what he knows. Rooney can be shifted around as he is very versatile and he has a good footballing brain IMO, but I don’t trust Tony in that regard.
I don’t think that his new contract has anything to do with whether van Gaal rates him or not. It’s just another chance under new manager. Like I said many times before, I don’t believe in him regaining his form anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.