Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am not watching the game thoroughly, but from what I have saw, it's the no red shirt effect, but not the way he finds it, but the way that every player outside United looks good to us. He is performing at pretty much the same level as he was performing for us the entire season. He had two crosses and both were catched by keeper quite easily.

Kag

I am not watching the game thoroughly, but from what I have saw, it's the no red shirt effect, but not the way he finds it, but the way that every player outside United looks good to us. He is performing at pretty much the same level as he was performing for us the entire season. He had two crosses and both were catched by keeper quite easily.
Very true. Too many of our supporters focus on our own negatives, yet then opt to focus upon the positives of opposition players instead. Fellaini is actually a very good example of this. He was no useless donkey, or other words of that effect, this time last year.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Very true. Too many of our supporters focus on our own negatives, yet then opt to focus upon the positives of opposition players instead. Fellaini is actually a very good example of this. He was no useless donkey, or other words of that effect, this time last year.
Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow...

Walters_19_MuFc

What is wrong with some of the people on this forum? Wanting Valencia to play bad so Van Gaal doesn't consider him. If Valencia plays well for Ecuador, and picks up the form of two seasons ago, then he could be a very good asset to the team next season.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Fantastic contribution to the thread.

Anybody watching the match ? Is Valencia really doing very well ?

Didn't see much of the second half though, saw just another cross and this one was overhit, reaching Evra on the other side.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's done okay, it's a friendly though. He still hasn't performed consistently in over two years, I'm unsure van Gaal will entertain him, he's not too much of a technical player.

Tibs

He is shite...I'll drive him to his new club free of charge

MkPaul

learnt from the best
What is wrong with some of the people on this forum? Wanting Valencia to play bad so Van Gaal doesn't consider him. If Valencia plays well for Ecuador, and picks up the form of two seasons ago, then he could be a very good asset to the team next season.
Not only this but Valencia is a great player to have in the team for big games. Him and Welbeck against Madrid/Bayern for example.

United22

Some absolute nonsense here. He has been poor with his crosses just like last season but he can offer about 10x more than what Young and Nani can to the club. Fair enough if you want him out, but I can name over 5 players who deserve to be out of this club before Valencia does.

Annahnomoss

van Gaal doesn't rely on a low defense and trying to defend his way to a victory though. Valencia/Welbeck will have to be the best in possession as United will play possession football under van Gaal.

So the best qualities of Valencia won't matter much as they aren't qualities that van Gaal picks his wingers for. If he gets back to beating his defender on repeat consistently in the matches then he will play - but only then.

Only Barcelona/Bayern are even remotely likely to see us go for something else than possession football. Even then I can see him try his best to actually play possession football.

Will Absolute

van Gaal doesn't rely on a low defense and trying to defend his way to a victory though. Valencia/Welbeck will have to be the best in possession as United will play possession football under van Gaal.

So the best qualities of Valencia won't matter much as they aren't qualities that van Gaal picks his wingers for. If he gets back to beating his defender on repeat consistently in the matches then he will play - but only then.

Only Barcelona/Bayern are even remotely likely to see us go for something else than possession football. Even then I can see him try his best to actually play possession football.
If that's so, he has my vote. I'm fed up with the brand of football we've been playing in recent years, with forward players seemingly chosen primarily for their defensive contribution.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Valencia for me offers more in games when we're playing against a 'superior' team. I don't think he's what we need in games where we're pretty much constantly on the front foot and dominating possession as he lacks intricacy in tight spaces and the ability to think quickly to break teams down. When we're surrendering possession or playing on the counter with a more defensive mindset I think he offers a lot. As @MkPaul said above, look at those games as examples of it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wouldn't be surprised if he is used more in a wingback role this year. With Rafael constantly either on fire, or on the treatment table he will get plenty of game time there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Valencia for me offers more in games when we're playing against a 'superior' team. I don't think he's what we need in games where we're pretty much constantly on the front foot and dominating possession as he lacks intricacy in tight spaces and the ability to think quickly to break teams down. When we're surrendering possession or playing on the counter with a more defensive mindset I think he offers a lot. As @MkPaul said above, look at those games as examples of it.
Valencia offers nothing in those big games which is half the reason we have been getting nothing out of those big games. We don't need someone who can be disciplined and give nothing away while creating the square root of feck all, we need someone who can take risks and scare the shit out of the opposition and have them pinned back in their own half defending.

Wicked_Badger

Valencia offers nothing in those big games which is half the reason we have been getting nothing out of those big games. We don't need someone who can be disciplined and give nothing away while creating the square root of feck all, we need someone who can take risks and scare the shit out of the opposition and have them pinned back in their own half defending.
Yeah, kinda agree with this. Picking (the recent) Valencia for the big games is the equivalent of conceding that we're trying to contain a team and we're not willing to impose out style of play (whatever that is these days) on a game.

Too often in the last couple of years we've been willing to try and nullify dangerous opponents rather than take control and force them into submission. It's perhaps harsh to single Valencia out solely as others are players are as bad, but when I see his name on the team sheet against 'bigger' teams I know he's there primarily to stop them playing rather than inflict wounds on the opposition.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Fair. I suppose it's a measure of the last season that a default to functional is seen as acceptable, not just that I've posted it there but more visible in general. Although I will attempt to justify it as a backup option rather than a starting strategy.

You're absolutely right though. A front 4 at full fitness I'd like to see right now is:
Januzaj Mata Nani
RVP

Pace and skill down both flanks with a mobile striker and excellent creator. Albeit relying on Nani to provide on the left. Kagawa as a link player on the left I think would need a really direct player with pace on the right to balance it. In an ideal world we could have Reus or someone of his ilk on the left.

(I'm pissed atm, don't crucify me till tomorrow if possible.)

hobbers

Valencia, Young and Nani all deserve to be tossed out on their arses, no question.

But Valencia should be the last out the door on merit.

Having said that Van Gaal would probably value Nani above Valencia because of his flair, and how much more comfortable he is on the ball. Not beyond the realms of possibility that Van Gaal could actually get out of Nani what he was producing a few years ago. Either way, Young can feck off as he's the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Valencia, Young and Nani all deserve to be tossed out on their arses, no question.

But Valencia should be the last out the door on merit.

Having said that Van Gaal would probably value Nani above Valencia because of his flair, and how much more comfortable he is on the ball. Not beyond the realms of possibility that Van Gaal could actually get out of Nani what he was producing a few years ago. Either way, Young can feck off as he's the worst of both worlds.
He should be first one out of the door. Been abysmally shit despite getting a lot more chances than both Young and Nani.

JSMHE

He should be first one out of the door. Been abysmally shit despite getting a lot more chances than both Young and Nani.
But to be fair. We can't just keep an injury prone of Nani who got paid 90k per week and when he got the chance he becomes another disappointment. Not to mention how much money we paid per week for Young as well. Rather than waste money for a bench warmer, I would rather put Valencia as the last our the door because he got paid about 70 or 75k per week. That's a lot but a bit more suit wage for a Manchester United bench warmer compare to the other two.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Well that's good news for both of them as they retain posession better than most other players in our squad.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some absolute nonsense here. He has been poor with his crosses just like last season but he can offer about 10x more than what Young and Nani can to the club. Fair enough if you want him out, but I can name over 5 players who deserve to be out of this club before Valencia does.
Well he can't and hasn't done that.

Despite being picked consistently for the past two years while Nani has rotted on the bench to make way for him to stink the place out, he has barely contributed any assists or goals in that time.
Nani has still contributed something like nearly double the goals and assists Valencia has during his time here.

And for all the nonsense that is said about his defensive contributions, unless he is at right back, Valencias defensive work is no better than Nanis.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Heh. The sheer volume of utter horsheshit posted in this thread never ceases to amaze.
The mediocrity you're happy to accept from him is beyond baffling.

In a position that we rely so heavily upon to create and hurt the opposition, we have one of the most impotent wingers in the league.

When we should have someone that terrifies the opposition, we have someone who the opposite fullback knows he can stop on his tracks by merely showing him onto his left foot or offering him no space to run into. The result being potential break after potential break fizzes out into a pass back to our right back or deep central player and opportunity lost.

The difference is only highlighted when we play someone like Januzaj in his position.

Cerpin

Van Gaal should just use him as back-up for that right-back position. I know he had one or two defensive blunders there, but I still prefer him to Jones/Smalling in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.