Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Every time I think about Valencia I'm impressed he had a good season in a position that isn't his and he improved all season long, at 29 years old. I though that Juanfran was special but Valencia is also an impressive character.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Every time I think about Valencia I'm impressed he had a good season in a position that isn't his and he improved all season long, at 29 years old. I though that Juanfran was special but Valencia is also an impressive character.
Every time I think about him, I wonder how much he can bench and how many push ups he can make.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wasnt impressed and disagree that he had a good season. He was decent at best with ups and downs but was a big reason why we looked so shaky. You couldnt have counted how often he was out of position. He shouldnt be more than a back up player next season

OneUnited24

I wasnt impressed and disagree that he had a good season. He was decent at best with ups and downs but was a big reason why we looked so shaky. You couldnt have counted how often he was out of position. He shouldnt be more than a back up player next season
I guess its just what we expect of him now. The days of him beating his defender and putting a good cross in are gone. But if you want someone who is solid and can defend at fall back there are few better in our squad. (Even with his mistake against Asnl)

Cina

The amount of players who should only be back-ups next season means that we're not even going to have a first team at this rate.
true, but if you asked me which one of our current first team regulars should be a backup next season, I'd say Valencia every single time.

The only other 2 I'd have as near definite backups would be Fellaini and Young.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I guess its just what we expect of him now. The days of him beating his defender and putting a good cross in are gone. But if you want someone who is solid and can defend at fall back there are few better in our squad. (Even with his mistake against Asnl)
Except he wasn't solid, he looked OK when we were dominating teams possession wise because we had very little defending to do. He was guilty of some very poor defending through the season and big lapses in concentration.

OneUnited24

Except he wasn't solid, he looked OK when we were dominating teams possession wise because we had very little defending to do. He was guilty of some very poor defending through the season and big lapses in concentration.
I think for the most part he was. Its easy to have a distorted view by a few mistakes through the season but on the whole there was a reason why he kept Rafael out of the side

ivaldo

I think for the most part he was. Its easy to have a distorted view by a few mistakes through the season but on the whole there was a reason why he kept Rafael out of the side
Perhaps, although its equally likely to have a distorted view based on teams overall performance and not on individual ones. He kept Rafael out because Rafael couldn't keep himself fit and LVG thought consistency was the key at the end of the season. Still, this has been discussed to death with two clear camps.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Will be a decent back up RB next season. Also didn't LVG refer to him as 'the best player in the Arsenal game making a mistake' in his end of the season awards speech?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Will be a decent back up RB next season. Also didn't LVG refer to him as 'the best player in the Arsenal game making a mistake' in his end of the season awards speech?
He did. Highly rated by SAF, LvG and Pep Guardiola. What is it people are missing in their assessment of his value to the squad?

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Lots of my mates rate him. I always say he isn't that good and we are looking for replacements and they laugh.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
One of the first decisions from Louie when he arrived was to offer him a contract. It wasn't a bad decision since Rafael is in recovery state but with first legit RB signing coming here he's benched and then maybe rotated in the cups.

The good news is he never complains about one thing therefore he's staying as a depth player who can easily get solid amount of games in case of injury storm.

You just know we're going to play him at some point no matter what.

Shimo

He did. Highly rated by SAF, LvG and Pep Guardiola. What is it people are missing in their assessment of his value to the squad?
The rating by Ferguson was from when he played without fear and at the same time had the tag of Mr. Reliable and will do the job asked. Pep's backing was also when Valencia was having one of this best season. The times when he was tearing Ashley Cole a new one. As far as LVG goes, LVG likes players that do what he asks and are reliable.

As supporters though I'd say most of us are looking for the Tony V. and not turn back Tony. And obviously there are quite a few that still are upset he was bought to fill the right wing spot after Ronaldo and demand an almost like for like replacement even though he has given us very good service.

I also do think people just don't value the players like the Valencia's Parks, O'Sheas etc - who are not glamorous but, are integral to a teams success during the year. I think he gives us a great squad option but, would nice if at this point he wasn't the shoe in first XI option.

ivaldo

The rating by Ferguson was from when he played without fear and at the same time had the tag of Mr. Reliable and will do the job asked. Pep's backing was also when Valencia was having one of this best season. The times when he was tearing Ashley Cole a new one. As far as LVG goes, LVG likes players that do what he asks and are reliable.

As supporters though I'd say most of us are looking for the Tony V. and not turn back Tony. And obviously there are quite a few that still are upset he was bought to fill the right wing spot after Ronaldo and demand an almost like for like replacement even though he has given us very good service.

I also do think people just don't value the players like the Valencia's Parks, O'Sheas etc - who are not glamorous but, are integral to a teams success during the year. I think he gives us a great squad option but, would nice if at this point he wasn't the shoe in first XI option.
Who do you think are Barca's and Real Madrid's version of Valencia/John O'Shea?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Some valid points. I tend to condemn his worst critics as butthurt Ronaldo fanbois. It'll be interesting to see if he'll improve after having the screws removed from his leg.

Shimo

Who did Madrid have coming off the bench against Juve to save them? Chicharito - a player deemed surplus to us this season. The grass is not always greener. Barca in their recent history have had one of the greatest players and two of the best central midfielders of the generation playing behind him. However, even they looked wanting in games when some of their role players could not step up.

You come across as one of those that simply expect a world XI for every team and if they are not then they are just not good enough. When in truth great teams are made by a combination of great players and by role players such as the Busquets, Pedros and the likes. United's problem right now has not been the likes of Valencia does not belong but, more that the players we expect great things from have not delivered - the likes Rooney, RVP, Falcao, ADM. Valencia has done the job more or less that has been expected out of him. Which is why managers keep playing him.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Who did Madrid have coming off the bench against Juve to save them? Chicharito - a player deemed surplus to us this season. The grass is not always greener. Barca in their recent history have had one of the greatest players and two of the best central midfielders of the generation playing behind him. However, even they looked wanting in games when some of their role players could not step up.

You come across as one of those that simply expect a world XI for every team and if they are not then they are just not good enough. When in truth great teams are made by a combination of great players and by role players such as the Busquets, Pedros and the likes. United's problem right now has not been the likes of Valencia does not belong but, more that the players we expect great things from have not delivered - the likes Rooney, RVP, Falcao, ADM. Valencia has done the job more or less that has been expected out of him. Which is why managers keep playing him.
I think you're taking the piss if you really think Busquets is just a role player.

ivaldo

So just to clarify, you don't know.

I should come across as someone who thinks Manchester United should be competing with Barca and Madrid, not accepting mediocrity within our squad. Quite simply the reason why you couldn't give me the Barca version of O'Shea or Valencia is because they haven't got one. Busquets is the best defensive midfielder of his generation, Pedro just a few weeks ago scored a spectacular overhead kick, these are players of real quality who are technically brilliant.

This 'do a job' mentality has to stop, its small time.

JPRouve

Scout
Under Guardiola and Villanova it was Adriano, Bayern it's Rode, for Chelsea Ramires, City has Milner.

The White Pele

I think he did a good job defensively this season actually. Sure, there were times his positioning cost us a goal but this happens to recognised full-backs aswell. It just gets magnified when it happens to somebody playing out of their natural position.

Going forward though, his crossing is a serious frustration. Especially when playing behind Mata who drifts inside.

ivaldo

Under Guardiola and Villanova it was Adriano, Bayern it's Rode, for Chelsea Ramires, City has Milner.
Really? You think they are acceptable comparisons? Adriano and Rode or Valencia and O'Shea...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I should come across as someone who thinks Manchester United should be competing with Barca and Madrid, not accepting mediocrity within our squad. Quite simply the reason why you couldn't give me the Barca version of O'Shea or Valencia is because they haven't got one. Busquets is the best defensive midfielder of his generation, Pedro just a few weeks ago scored a spectacular overhead kick, these are players of real quality who are technically brilliant.

Yet Fergie dominated domestically and was second only to one of the best teams ever in Europe with John O'Shea an almost guaranteed starter when fit. Go figure.

justboy68

Isn't that Mathieu bloke basically the Barca equivalent of John O'shea anyway? Regardless I don't think a comparison between O'Shea and Valencia is apt. While Valencia is willing to be versatile and play full back he is shaky there and makes us vulnerable. Sheasy would guarantee you defensive solidity if not much else, but a guarantee of defensive solidity was splendid for a versatile squad player.

ivaldo

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to answer but Valencia and O'Shea played at a higher level.
And Obertan played at a higher level than Matt Le Tissier.

Rode is 24 and is considered by many to be Schweinsteigers heir.
Yet Fergie dominated domestically and was second only to one of the best teams ever in Europe with John O'Shea an almost guaranteed starter when fit. Go figure.
Cleverley was also a pivotal player under Fergie toward the end of his career, should we bring him back as well? Think we should avoid continued comparisons to O'Shea anyway as its derailing the thread and he was at least very versatile (which AV isnt).

So again who are Barca's and Madrid current Valencia?

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
And Obertan played at a higher level than Matt Le Tissier.

Rode is 24 and is considered by many to be Schweinsteigers heir.
:confused: Valencia and O'Shea have individually played at a high level, I'm not talking about the environment but about their performances.

ivaldo

:confused: Valencia and O'Shea have individually played at a high level, I'm not talking about the environment but about their performances.
The Valencia of a bygone era was brilliant, he isn't even close to that now. I think we should leave O'Shea out of this as its derailing the thread a little and he at least has the skill of being extremely versatile. Valencia isn't that. He's an average full back and a mediocre winger. He shouldnt be anywhere near the starting XI if we have serious aspirations of challenging in Europe.

Shimo

What needs to stop is the thought that the only way to compete is having world XI players through the team when that is not the case and not something that can be maintained unless bank rolled - by a bank. Madrid tried their galacticos that has failed. City, PSG have been met with the same fate.

So Pedro scored a spectacular free kick, that makes him brilliant? No what has made him so good is that he has done the job along side some great players. It's why Barca keep buying other forwards even though they have him - because while he is not the best he is a very good player much like Valencia that helps make a team.

What is small time is people like you that tend to not give players like Valencia their due. No one is saying he is what we should build our team around but, he is not the type of player we want to be without either. Players like him is what has made United great over the years along side some exceptional players.

JPRouve

Scout
The Valencia of a bygone era was brilliant, he isn't even close to that now. I think we should leave O'Shea out of this as its derailing the thread a little and he at least has the skill of being extremely versatile. Valencia isn't that. He's an average full back and a mediocre winger. He shouldnt be anywhere near the starting XI if we have serious aspirations of challenging in Europe.
Who said that he should be in our starting eleven? He had a good season in a position alien to him, that's worthy of praises, there is no subliminal message.

Nozzy

Think he did quite well in some of the big games, Anfield, City at home. Sure he went to sleep on occasion too but Zabaleta for example, slept through most of the season. He's a good guy that's done an alien job to a 7/10 standard, in most games. I just don't see where the upgrade is coming from. I don't believe Alves will come & Clyne doesn't grab me as a particular upgrade defensively or, Coleman either. Maybe there is a 'find' out there in Europe somewhere.

Eugenius

I used to be a massive Valencia fan but I'm past the point of trying to defend him. To go from a Man Utd number 7 and player of the year to a stop gap fullback is one of the biggest declines I can remember. Rooney gets stick for not being up there with Messi whilst you still have people who continually set the bar lower and lower for Valencia.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as a RB but he's dodgy positional and is very guilty of ball watching. And I think his lack of willingness to overlap at pace is stopping us breaking down teams. Arsenal had their full backs bombing beyond the ball at pace creating space on the weekend. Valencia is too content to backup the play, slow it down & not aggressively attack the space Mata leaves for him. Means we have no penetration on the right. Compare that to Blind at LB and Shaw vs Chelsea and the link up play with Young.

acnumber9

Perhaps, although its equally likely to have a distorted view based on teams overall performance and not on individual ones. He kept Rafael out because Rafael couldn't keep himself fit and LVG thought consistency was the key at the end of the season. Still, this has been discussed to death with two clear camps.
It's nice to have mind readers around the place.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've heard LVG say he was our best player (as in MOTM) on a couple of occasions so I doubt it was just about him keeping fit.

Nozzy

I used to be a massive Valencia fan but I'm past the point of trying to defend him. To go from a Man Utd number 7 and player of the year to a stop gap fullback is one of the biggest declines I can remember. Rooney gets stick for not being up there with Messi whilst you still have people who continually set the bar lower and lower for Valencia.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as a RB but he's dodgy positional and is very guilty of ball watching. And I think his lack of willingness to overlap at pace is stopping us breaking down teams. Arsenal had their full backs bombing beyond the ball at pace creating space on the weekend. Valencia is too content to backup the play, slow it down & not aggressively attack the space Mata leaves for him. Means we have no penetration on the right. Compare that to Blind at LB and Shaw vs Chelsea and the link up play with Young.
Who's the answer to the RB quandry?

:confused: